• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XV Demo Gameplay (XB1 & PS4 demos), Battle System, Night & Map Shown

Dark_castle

I could be biased, but the more I see the uncut battle footage, the more I'm excited to actually play the game and not watching someone else play it, and I can't exactly point out why that is. That's not to say I'm completely satisfied or anything, as I still think that hitstun slowdown should be tuned down for all the lighter weapons, but it's quickly growing in me. It really wasn't all about button-mashing, there is some degree of battle planning in Noctis's weapon action setup, some varieties in weapons type, their pros and cons and unique abilities in battles, and the animations are very carefully crafted with attention to detail, then there are some sick moves, like the one bit where Noctis bitch slapped a Garula away after it was staggered by Ignis, that felt very satisfying, along with the Dragoon Jump. On top of it all, this is just a small bit of the demo, so I imagine the final game, especially at higher level will be quick intense.

Duscae region itself though, I imagine would be a let down in its design. It honestly felt a little too much into stimulating real life that it lacks a certain flair to it, like the ground are often too even with barely any obstacles or detour or hidden paths. It was too open and unfortunately tad lifeless, and the draw distance further exemplifies this.

If there is time to change things up, I really hope they can redesign Duscae a little. Heck, perhaps throw in more slopes, random plantation, more hills, more cliffs, more holes and man-made objects, more giant rocks or crystal shards to hide the 'open but empty' vibe. But of course, need to play the demo myself to judge the locale.

The quest design approach seems pretty typical, but I'm not sure if mini-map will be a thing. I do like the little setup they had for Smoke Eye, and the small details that add something to the beast like its feet size seen on the ground and the fact that it knocks down random trees in the background. And as I mentioned earlier, Smoke Eye with its one eye being blind as an exploit is cool, and can perhaps increase the value of positioning in combat.

Skulldead

Other then the little lag when you it a enemies... The game look really fun and challenging. Everything seem inspire by kingdom hearts, Simple Stat system (only defence and strength stat), command style for skill, weapon based perk. The map look really nice too. Really looking foward to complete the demo.

Zetta

I could be biased, but the more I see the uncut battle footage, the more I'm excited to actually play the game and not watching someone else play it, and I can't exactly point out why that is. That's not to say I'm completely satisfied or anything, as I still think that hitstun slowdown should be tuned down for all the lighter weapons, but it's quickly growing in me. It really wasn't all about button-mashing, there is some degree of battle planning in Noctis's weapon action setup, some varieties in weapons type, their pros and cons and unique abilities in battles, and the animations are very carefully crafted with attention to detail, then there are some sick moves, like the one bit where Noctis bitch slapped a Garula away after it was staggered by Ignis, that felt very satisfying, along with the Dragoon Jump. On top of it all, this is just a small bit of the demo, so I imagine the final game, especially at higher level will be quick intense.

Duscae region itself though, I imagine would be a let down in its design. It honestly felt a little too much into stimulating real life that it lacks a certain flair to it, like the ground are often too even with barely any obstacles or detour or hidden paths. It was too open and unfortunately tad lifeless, and the draw distance further exemplifies this.

If there is time to change things up, I really hope they can redesign Duscae a little. Heck, perhaps throw in more slopes, random plantation, more hills, more cliffs, more holes and man-made objects, more giant rocks or crystal shards to hide the 'open but empty' vibe. But of course, need to play the demo myself to judge the locale.

The quest design approach seems pretty typical, but I'm not sure if mini-map will be a thing. I do like the little setup they had for Smoke Eye, and the small details that add something to the beast like its feet size seen on the ground and the fact that it knocks down random trees in the background. And as I mentioned earlier, Smoke Eye with its one eye being blind as an exploit is cool, and can perhaps increase the value of positioning in combat.

Think its safe to say everyone here just wants to play the game. I caught small portions of the stream since I want to experience the demo for myself, but from what I saw this is the game that will eat up a lot of my time. Hell I am excited about having to go find the phantom swords and fishing. That tells you how much I'm going to get side tracked in this game.

SirCrush

Grimløck;152894189 said:
characters look so goofy like some 90's era emo rejects.

So they're catering to their main demographic of 30somethings who remember the 90s as a kid. Idiots.

Koozek

No idea how correct this description actually is

But it's making me excited as fuck

Well, it's in parts as flashy as KH, but still has a certain weight to it like DS. Okay, maybe not really much like DS the more I think about it :D Let's just say it has a weightier KH battle system and you could maaaybe say it has some gameplay mechanics similar to DS (like dodging/parrying using up "Stamina" (MP here), level-up and full recovery at bonfires where you can also Fast Travel or weapons of different types with different movesets, skills/stat boost and their own level).

So someone did do a write up for the weapons.

Anyway, I thought it was pretty neat, when they set the Zweihander to Rush to fight that Queen Garula it looked like MH =P

The combo thing reminded me a bit of a simplified version of God Hand's "create-a-combo". Although I doubt it will be as deep or as technical as GH.

It also makes me wonder if we can have presets for the equipment, and change them on the fly. That would be awesome.

aravuus

Well, it's in parts as flashy as KH, but still has a certain weight to it like DS. Okay, maybe not really much like DS the more I think about it :D Let's just say it has a weightier KH battle system and you could maaaybe say it has some gameplay mechanics similar to DS (like dodging/parrying using up "Stamina" (MP here), level-up and full recovery at bonfires where you can also Fast Travel or weapons of different types with different movesets, skills/stat boost and their own level).

I absolutely love how the combat in DS and KH games play so honestly, any kind of combination of those two is probably bound to be awesome as fuck

Dark_castle

Think its safe to say everyone here just wants to play the game. I caught small portions of the stream since I want to experience the demo for myself, but from what I saw this is the game that will eat up a lot of my time. Hell I am excited about having to go find the phantom swords and fishing. That tells you how much I'm going to get side tracked in this game.

I wished there are more people out there that are as enthusiastic about FFXV as you and me and others here.

I think it's actually quite different to KH now, but I don't view it as a bad thing at all, even though I love KH style combat. Different approaches can be good in their own right, and I think FFXV deserves a chance to prove itself. Hell, I may be minority in this, but I don't even mind that much about the lack of party leader switching. Having played Type-0 and Dragon Age: Inquisition, I just don't think that the more characters you could control in an action combat necessarily means better gameplay. I just don't.

rhandino

Banned
Je, this will be like how I play the Tales games, I never use any other character besides the main one and never got bored =P

Also I was seeing the video in full last night and OMG at the part in which he used Jump, I need this in my life.

The fucking scale of that overworld, my god.

My only nitpick is that your weapon isnt visible until it magically produces itself durong an attack. I'd like it if you could auto-draw it in a battle and have it visible throughout the fight.

The fucking scale of that overworld, my god.

My only nitpick is that your weapon isnt visible until it magically produces itself durong an attack. I'd like it if you could auto-draw it in a battle and have it visible throughout the fight.

But then you would have the problem of: Which of the 5 weapons is drawn? Because it's a different weapon if you start attacking in the ground and in the air, and after the first hit of the combo the weapon changes again, and for the finisher the weapon changes again. So after he completed a combo which weapon would he keep there?

I mean, you could have all 5 weapons drawn at all times, it just wouldn't look that great =P

I think it's actually quite different to KH now, but I don't view it as a bad thing at all, even though I love KH style combat. Different approaches can be good in their own right, and I think FFXV deserves a chance to prove itself. Hell, I may be minority in this, but I don't even mind that much about the lack of party leader switching. Having played Type-0 and Dragon Age: Inquisition, I just don't think that the more characters you could control in an action combat necessarily means better gameplay. I just don't.

Hit the nail on the head. I think perfecting Noctis's gameplay would be better than trying to perfect 4 different characters also since Noctis would be by far the most powerful and interesting to fight with I wouldn't fight with anyone else except maybe Prompto. I feel like having just Noctis playable and have your AI set up with gambits and the like is the right way to go.

ytwDCDARZGJSjNDVzG.gif

The Foot Clan coming to get the red soles that Noctis stole.

Turin

Banned
So, let's say I just wanted Noctis to use the sword.

Is that even possible or am I forced to submit to this context sensitive approach with the weapon usage?

Koozek

[...] I think it's actually quite different to KH now, but I don't view it as a bad thing at all, even though I love KH style combat. Different approaches can be good in their own right, and I think FFXV deserves a chance to prove itself. Hell, I may be minority in this, but I don't even mind that much about the lack of party leader switching. Having played Type-0 and Dragon Age: Inquisition, I just don't think that the more characters you could control in an action combat necessarily means better gameplay. I just don't.

Yeah, I know (and am very glad) that it's not as much KH as back in Versus days but it's the still the best example to explain the system to someone easily, I think. You can't compare it to a real Character Action game like DMC, either, and I also can't remember an action-based JRPG with a non-spammy (Tales of series) or non-MMO-like battle system (Xenoblade), right now. Maybe someone here has a better example^^

Oh, and about your other point: I'm with you. Controlling only one character is perfectly fine for me. I've always tended to play with one favorite character only in any JRPG where you could change, anyway. As long as they build the mechanics well around Noctis and balance them out, it's an absolutly valid design decision.

Random thought while we're on the subject of Noctis' arsenal: It'd be neat if instead of only getting one or two ultimate weapons (or whatever the norm is for FF these days), you can acquire one for each weapon type. Maybe even give them a few synergistic effects when used in tandem with each other.

So, let's say I just wanted Noctis to use the sword.

Is that even possible or am I forced to submit to this context sensitive approach with the weapon usage?

Well... you can just get 5 swords and equip nothing but swords. That way Noctis wouldn't use other stuff.

But if you mean, doing manual combos and choosing when to use each weapon, then nope. Combos seem to be just your normal attack into ability/magic. Basically like KH =X

Turin

Banned
Well... you can just get 5 swords and equip nothing but swords. That way Noctis wouldn't use other stuff.

But if you mean, doing manual combos and choosing when to use each weapon, then nope. Combos seem to be just your normal attack into ability/magic. Basically like KH =X

I'll probably do something like that. The idea of switching from sword to spear to hammer to giant sword just sounds kind of annoying to me.

I'd rather get to decide to wield one weapon but clearly that wasn't the idea with Noctis.

Jamaro85

Je, this will be like how I play the Tales games, I never use any other character besides the main one and never got bored =P

Also I was seeing the video in full last night and OMG at the part in which he used Jump, I need this in my life.

Whoa whoa wait, we have Dragoon Jump? Could anybody be so kind as to provide a time stamp for this? I plan on watching the entire demo later but I'd like to see this in particular.

wmlk

A really cool thing from the android knight is that he sacrifices himself so he can incapacitate Noctis with the electric shock. It happens twice in the ATR, and he's missing the helmet both times when it happens. It's probably triggered when it's under half its HP.

A really cool thing from the android knight is that he sacrifices himself so he can incapacitate Noctis with the electric shock. It happens twice in the ATR, and he's missing the helmet both times when it happens. It's probably triggered when it's under half its HP.

I was wondering what that was about. I wonder if any other enemies have similar desperation attacks.

Dark_castle

Speaking of which, it would be great if Noctis can be turned into a full ranged character, specializing on guns and magic and stuff. Not exactly my playstyle, but hope it happens. More build diversity is always welcomed.

Speaking of which, it would be great if Noctis can be turned into a full ranged character, specializing on guns and magic and stuff. Not exactly my playstyle, but hope it happens. More build diversity is always welcomed.

Can't wait to see magic implemented in this game! I do hope Noctis is still able to wield all weapons, including guns. They haven't reconfirmed any sort of ranged weaponry for Noctis... And I really like the way Prompto's guns look, feel and sound.

Top Bottom