• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XV Demo Gameplay (XB1 & PS4 demos), Battle System, Night & Map Shown

I wonder if it would be even remotely possible to get it to Tabata's attention that we would all really dig the art portraits. He actually seems very enthusiastic about the project and open with fans, so I don't think it would be impossible. I'm not talking about a petition or some such nonsense, but maybe if he somehow got the message he'd consider it?

Dark_castle

I wonder if it would be even remotely possible to get it to Tabata's attention that we would all really dig the art portraits. He actually seems very enthusiastic about the project and open with fans, so I don't think it would be impossible. I'm not talking about a petition or some such nonsense, but maybe if he somehow got the message he'd consider it?

One thing we're certain about is that Wan Hazmer do check out GAF, so putting random feedback/wishlist may actually lead to something, who knows. :)

One thing we're certain about is that Wan Hazmer do check out GAF, so putting random feedback/wishlist may actually lead to something, who knows. :)

That's cool. I appreciate how open they've been about the game. I hate how secretive some developers treat projects. It's better to keep things in the dark until there's something legitimate to show, but I sometimes feel that they're a bit ridiculous about it especially when they show press behind closed doors/curtains/whatever. It's a controlled environment where they can get the press to say cool things about what they got the privilege to see in order to hype that shit.

After Tabata came on, it's been a truly different climate and one that I'm far more pleased with.

Akainu

I'm just now watching some bits of the video and that slowdown sucks. Some said it only happens when they were weak but it's all the time.

It's not like it would be the only thing he does for the game...
As of late I meant ;P he did enough just focus on KH3
If only he still made portraits like during the PS1 days. Stuff like his art from FF8 and Parasite Eve would fit 15's art style SO well

Yeah it would be refreshing I think we should campaign for this. Who knows we might get lucky! I mean mgs-Gaf sent a mosaic/poster of avatars depicting big boss to Kojima which is currently hanging in Konami HQ it was surreal watching it on stream, doesn't hurt to try.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer

But he's in charge of the over world stuff. You guys shouldn't harass him about things he has literally no involvement in.

DeSolos

I'm sure they have concept art that they could use for portraits, but I honestly prefer the CG models. They've gone to great lengths with Luminous to have as unified an art style is possible this generation(between ingame and CG). It would be awkward to have them be 2d.

I would be ok with it, if they weren't just 2d drawings, but full on portrait paintings. Like royal portraits or something.

I'm sure they have concept art that they could use for portraits, but I honestly prefer the CG models. They've gone to great lengths with Luminous to have as unified an art style is possible this generation(between ingame and CG). It would be awkward to have them be 2d.

I would be ok with it, if they weren't just 2d drawings, but full on portrait paintings. Like royal portraits or something.

Now that would be legit.

KupoNut

The white render background is a bit out of place on a dark HUD :p (and I'm tired of looking at those CG renders all these years)

Will this demo be on the disc or is it a code? I wouldn't mind just buying the demo off someone. How long will the demo be available, after watching the gameplay video I am hyped. This will be my first Final Fantasy game.

With FF games are there any customization? Any replay value? Do you get home bases? I'm just trying to understand what this game will have to offer.

Will this demo be on the disc or is it a code? I wouldn't mind just buying the demo off someone. How long will the demo be available, after watching the gameplay video I am hyped. This will be my first Final Fantasy game.

With FF games are there any customization? Any replay value? Do you get home bases? I'm just trying to understand what this game will have to offer.

The physical version will contain a code to download the demo, so yeah, you'll find plenty of people trying to sell it.

Demo comes in a code.

Customization pretty much every FF has to varying degrees (this one seems to have a good amount), replay value is usually the optional content in the game, which can be done before you beat it (normally the game lasts a good 70-100 hours with the side stuff), If by home base you mean like the stuff in MGSV then no, you are constantly progressing through the world.

The physical version will contain a code to download the demo, so yeah, you'll find plenty of people trying to sell it.

Have you heard any horror stores of people getting ripped off when they just try to buy a demo code or an additional codes games come with?

I'm extremely interested in this game but I don't think I would enjoy playing FF Type 0 and I'm against buying a game to turn it back after receiving a code though I know some people may go that route if that game isn't on their radar but the demo is.

Demo comes in a code.

Customization pretty much every FF has to varying degrees (this one seems to have a good amount), replay value is usually the optional content in the game, which can be done before you beat it (normally the game lasts a good 70-100 hours with the side stuff), If by home base you mean like the stuff in MGSV then no, you are constantly progressing through the world.

Has the last few FF games made an effort to keep content for players that can be redone over and over like a battle arena or still being able to explore the world? Or once I beat the game (end credits appear) will I have to start the game over to enjoy it again? Is it normal for FF games to lock stuff behind the first completion of the game?

Go_Ly_Dow

It looks completely placeholder. You don't have to worry, probably.

FFXIII's menu art was screenshots of CG that released in like 2007-8 lol. I hope they're placeholder.

I simply adore the 2D menu art from FFVII-X so would love to see Nomura tackle it again.

VOds6Oq.jpg

R6iKiZD.jpg

l1C7JeT.jpg

ff10-yuna2.jpg

ff10-auron2.jpg

ff10-shiva.jpg

Has the last few FF games made an effort to keep content for players that can be redone over and over like a battle arena or still being able to explore the world? Or once I beat the game (end credits appear) will I have to start the game over to enjoy it again? Is it normal for FF games to lock stuff behind the first completion of the game?

This (being able to still play after the game is over) varies quite a bit in the series too. Usually you want to either do everything before you reach the last boss, or you don't do much on your first playthrough and then do a second playthrough after you beat the game, and use that to complete everything.

Type-0 for instance (made by the same director that is making XV), doesn't let you continue playing after you beat the game, and in a second playthrough you get new story missions, and a new ending. Type-0 actually has one of the highest replay values in the series.

As for arenas and stuff, XV will have minigames, but we don't know if there will be an arena, the last few FFs, some had, some didn't.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
FFXIII's menu art was screenshots of CG that released in like 2007-8 lol. I hope they're placeholder.

I simply adore the 2D menu art from FFVII-X so would love to see Nomura tackle it again.

Yeah but remember the XIII demo had really basic menu stuff in place too.

SPAW

Thanks. Out of curiosity, was that just added recently, or does it date back to the E3 2013 reveal?

Nah, the E3-2013 is different:

" The only crystal left to the world lies in the Kingdom of Lucis. Upon striking a peace with the garrison state of Niflheim, Lucis rejoices in having at last brought the cold war to a close. Their celebrations, however, are premature. Under the guise of amity, Niflheim dispels the anti-armament runewall and launches a full-scale invasion of the kingdom. The peaceful lives Crown Prince Noctis and his entourage once knew are consumed by the flames of war as they struggle to mount a resistance."

Go_Ly_Dow

Yeah but remember the XIII demo had really basic menu stuff in place too.

i played the demo like 12 times back in the day and can't even remember :/

i do remember some really strange changes tho like...

yuge.jpg

(not my caption)

and then of course the implementation of the paradigm system.

not much changed although they also had much less time compared to XV's team(7-8 months vs 1-1.5 years).

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Starting to wonder why Id want to play a pre-alpha of a game where the mechanic are barely figured out yet.

At this point the demo is more of a gesture to let people know the game still exists after almost 9 years and there is still more than a year's worth of work to go.

yuge.jpg

(not my caption)

not much changed although they also had much less time compared to XV's team(7-8 months vs 1-1.5 years).

Lol what the hell? Why would they change a character that much?

In regards to XV considering they've taken a lot out of the demo just to meet the deadline I wouldn't be too surprised to see some additions to the battle system that we haven't heard about.

Go_Ly_Dow

Lol what the hell? Why would they change a character that much?

In regards to XV considering they've taken a lot out of the demo just to meet the deadline I wouldn't be too surprised to see some additions to the battle system that we haven't heard about.

That's what members of the XIII team felt was important to prioritize as opposed to the complaints regarding linearity and lack of substance.

With XV we've seen examples of area's that are working (car, weather system, magic) so even tho they're not in the demo it's a good sign none the less.

yuge.jpg

(not my caption)

Are we sure they didn't just switch up the character placement? Seems odd that they'd so drastically change such a minor character.

Falk

that puzzling face
How do you know it's not the same character and they just had a lot of surplus raffia string?

Go_Ly_Dow

Are we sure they didn't just switch up the character placement? Seems odd that they'd so drastically change such a minor character.

the character name remained the same

perhaps that was the case

anyway the problem with the XIII demo was it wasn't really created for feedback purposes and released far too close to the intended release of the finished article.

then it got criticized but they felt it was still ok to release it as the vision was always intended to it's downfall.

they're scared of a repeat it seems and learnt their lesson.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
the character name remained the same

perhaps that was the case

anyway the problem with the XIII demo was it wasn't really created for feedback purposes and released far too close to the intended release of the finished article.

then it got criticized but they felt it was still ok to release it as the vision was always intended to it's downfall.

they're scared of a repeat it seems and learnt their lesson.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with this.

That's what members of the XIII team felt was important to prioritize as opposed to the complaints regarding linearity and lack of substance.

With XV we've seen examples of area's that are working (car, weather system, magic) so even tho they're not in the demo it's a good sign none the less.

Well... The revised version certainly has more substance...

Top Bottom