• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XV Demo Gameplay (XB1 & PS4 demos), Battle System, Night & Map Shown

Go_Ly_Dow

There is absolutely nothing wrong with this.

i agree. simply talking in hindsight for this particular title.

FF is a bit of a special case anyway with it's very early public demo's.

gotta drive up those shoddy BD remasters and old PSP ports somehow :p

-Ryn

Banned
Trying not to watch... so hard.

I have a question though if you guys wouldn't mind. Is the Episode Duscae demo only on PS4 or is it also on the Xbox One?

Oh, you were referring to the demo, sorry. Yeah, the demo will let you play for as long as you like =X

No thank you still for your response I wasn't clear in my question since I actually wanted to know about both the demo and main game.

It's also on page 2

No idea why it's not slipped into the OP.

Ah, hopefully OP updates so it can be added. Great information. Getting really hyped. Now time to figure out how will I plan to buy this demo code off of someone

rhandino

Banned
2d art for the menus? Pleaseeeeeee...
Would not mind depending of how good they are.

I loved how clean and efficient where the menus in XIII and XIII-2 so I would not mind an improved version of that. And the animation in the background when selecting the status of each characters looks very good too.

But you all must hate XIII, even the menus T_T

Go_Ly_Dow

2d art for the menus? Pleaseeeeeee...
Would not mind depending of how good they are.

I loved how clean and efficient where the menus in XIII and XIII-2 so I would not mind an improved version of that. And the animation in the background when selecting the status of each characters looks very good too.

But you all must hate XIII, even the menus T_T

no no no they were fine!

but still would prefer 2d art personally

pszet0

Banned
I actually like the character portraits. But if they do decide to go with them permanently what are they gonna do with prompto's portrait since they changed his look since.

tumblr_mo91h9Roxu1ruoqiuo1_500.png

wmlk

I actually like the character portraits. But if they do decide to go with them permanently what are they gonna do with prompto's portrait since they changed his look since.

tumblr_mo91h9Roxu1ruoqiuo1_500.png

So damn disappointing that none of the characters look anything like their E3 2013 render. In-game they their skin looks less realistic.

prwxv3

Everything is plastered in CG.

2D art is much more classy, nostalgic and would gives the UI and Menu much more character.

Let's push it!!!!

nevar forget

Star%20Ocean%20comparison.bmp

at least they got rid of the hideous character camera thing from the versus gameplay shown.

But the CG in that game is still anime.

To be honest the 2D art in SO4 is dishonest. The characters look nothing like that in game, they are far more hideous.

Falk

that puzzling face
look on the bright side

they could have gone the route of virtually every other US localization

KfN9gaq.png

DavidDesu

Can I just ask a completely novice question..

From what I can gather, have read about, and see in this demo, ALL of the battling is done in real time using a fairly simple set of buttons and is NOT in any way at all like any turn based style of system from usual RPG's, yes?

If so I'm 100% in. I love the look of FF games stories and how they're told (not so crazy on all the crazy hair styles but that's another matter) and I've always wanted to play one and get involved in the stories but traditional RPG turn based battling just kills me and I cannot do it and do not enjoy it. If this is all real time like a more traditional action game then I'm so happy.

How is everyone else taking it, I assumed most FF fans would be unsure of this new direction..?

From what I can gather, have read about, and see in this demo, ALL of the battling is done in real time using a fairly simple set of buttons and is NOT in any way at all like any turn based style of system from usual RPG's, yes?

If so I'm 100% in. I love the look of FF games stories and how they're told (not so crazy on all the crazy hair styles but that's another matter) and I've always wanted to play one and get involved in the stories but traditional RPG turn based battling just kills me and I cannot do it and do not enjoy it. If this is all real time like a more traditional action game then I'm so happy.

How is everyone else taking it, I assumed most FF fans would be unsure of this new direction..?

I like it, a good number of people don't for their own reasons.

I've always preferred Action RPGs personally, despite growing up on turn based stuff.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer

It's an action RPG with battles taking place in real time, no instances or anything.

The old school guard (some not all) will always complain, then you got the grass-gate conspiracy nuts, the black is emo/boring brigade.. i would say the reaction is fairly positive.

DavidDesu

It's an action RPG with battles taking place in real time, no instances or anything.

Ah, thank you. I am officially hyped for this. Game looks pretty damn good considering it's so open world, and the city footage I've seen before looks incredible. Definitely on board for this one.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Ah, thank you. I am officially hyped for this. Game looks pretty damn good considering it's so open world, and the city footage I've seen before looks incredible. Definitely on board for this one.

SE has never really had a problem with visuals, for the most part. The final game just needs to be good.

Realyn

Man I'm just not feeling the battle system. Looks boring ... in a bad way if that makes sense. Any news on a gambit kinda like system for your party?

Go_Ly_Dow

Since the system seems to place such a big emphasis on dodging and blocking having difficulty settings would be great.

It would be extremely satisfying timing those to perfection on something like 'Hard' mode in which a few hits means game over and limited healing.

sn00zer

Have they clarified how the combat works? Kind of look like you set up your character and hit play ...but with dodging or something. Still really bummed the combat doesnt seem to have as much direct control as a standard action adventure game, even though the game seems happy to take everything else from the genre. Especially with the popularity of Dark Souls and Monster Huunter you'ld think they would move to full action combat with heavy stats and party tactics instead of whatever this unhappy middle ground is.

Realyn

Now you are going to have to explain what boring in a good way is.

Well I'll try. Not every person wants the exact same pacing during battles. Let's take FF7 for example. It's a damn old game, yet it had the pretty cool options to speed up battles and switch between active/pause. Was putting it on fast, have a good materia set up going and rush through fights boring? I guess. The same could be said about XII and the gambit system. Yet it was somewhat "rewarding" coming up with a way to break the game.

Coming back to XV there's nothing that excites me. It just looks slow, boring and not complex at all. I get it. It's a demo and the game is somewhat half way done. But I'm still judging what they are showing me.

Turin

Banned
Yeah. I was taken aback at first by a couple odd things with the combat but I'm still hyped.

I'd prefer they went with a more physical feeling approach with attacks but I doubt it'll ever occur to me to just hold in the attack button based on what I've seen anyway. Looks like I'll have to get on my ass defensively.

Hubbl3

Unconfirmed Member
Bravely series also seems to be here for the long haul. FF can do whatever it wants.

Pretty much how I feel. I don't care what SE does with Final Fantasy anymore, but I do hope they don't mess with Bravely Default's formula too much.

orioto

Good Art™
Sorry i'm super late cause dead internet. My 2 cents. It's really super beautiful. I can't wait to walk around in this world.

Two concerns:

_no area music ? I didn't hear one, just an action contextual one. THAT is not ff AT ALL!!!

_Enemy variety is is super lame for now i hope it's not final. You cannot walk for hours in a such a big place and fight the same enemy endlessdly... Boring as fuck

Sorry it has probably been discussed already

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Have they clarified how the combat works? Kind of look like you set up your character and hit play ...but with dodging or something. Still really bummed the combat doesnt seem to have as much direct control as a standard action adventure game, even though the game seems happy to take everything else from the genre. Especially with the popularity of Dark Souls and Monster Huunter you'ld think they would move to full action combat with heavy stats and party tactics instead of whatever this unhappy middle ground is.

It's like Kingdom Hearts.

Reveirg

_no area music ? I didn't hear one, just an action contextual one. THAT is not ff AT ALL!!! y

Yeah :/ I understand that they're going with the flow and adopting a music integration style akin to western AAAs, but I hope there's at least some area music. A Realm Reborn was a nice compromise: short 1m-1m30 stingers whenever you arrive at a new area then silence and some stingers come up once in a while.

I'm a personal fan of endless loops as long as the themes are long enough and well constructed, but I realize they might not have as much of a place in open-world games.

Top Bottom