• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XV gameplay @ PAX West

That's the HDR feature. You will get better graphics at 1080p too, of course. Rise of the Tomb Raider, for example, let's you choose between 4K with slightly better graphics, 1080p@30fps with more whistle and bells, and 1080@60fps with lower graphics. Otherwise the Pro would detect that your TV is only 1080p and spend the extra power on graphics while having more stable framerate than the base version too.

They didnt do a good job at explaining well, allot of people are confused about the 1080p and PRO stuff.

Kyoufu

Do you guys think they'll have a full showcase of the PS4 Pro version or at least a comparison before release? It could be one deciding factor in upgrading for me.

Of course. Expect many comparisons across the board with other games as well.

And also expect Digital Foundry to do comparisons on release too.

JayBabay

Lol, yeah. In two different sizzle reels even (one on the stream and one at the booths):

Haha yeah I found it now, I stopped paying attention at this point because it looked like it was going to be a repeat of the games they had just presented.

People who don't have 4K TVs will still see better looking games, just at 1080p. I feel like some people here have never experienced PC gaming before...
It will of course look better, but will it look better enough to warrant what is essentially another console purchase? That's my dilemma at the moment. I'm certainly not getting a 4K TV anytime soon

Their language of "it'll be better, and we're encouraging devs to make it as better as possible" but still being locked to the limitations of the base model isn't too encouraging. Seems like without 4K it'll be a bump from "medium" to "high" at best

daftstar

Of course. Expect many comparisons across the board with other games as well.

And also expect Digital Foundry to do comparisons on release too.

Well that's on release. How likely is it we'll see more Pro footage before like at TGS or something?

Kyoufu

Well that's on release. How likely is it we'll see more Pro footage before like at TGS or something?

TGS is a week away. Too early for comparisons as the game is still being worked on.

Ask these questions in the weeks leading up to release when they're happy with what they have optimised for day one.

D

Deleted member 20920

Unconfirmed Member
Hmmm...I'll probably be getting a PS4 Pro. Sorry Ultimate Edition. It was never meant to be. I'll cancel that and put the money towards the Pro. It would have cost me about USD330 to buy and get it shipped to my country anyway.

Joqu

I'm pretty darn disappointed in the Pro, especially because of the lack of UHD Blu-Ray support, but a great version of Final Fantasy XV would make me have some serious doubts about my decision not to get one. In general I wouldn't mind, but I don't want to feel like I'm missing out on vanilla PS4 playing XV in particular, and I'm probably going to. Hope I can find a good trade-in offer to sweeten the deal, I should have never bought a PS4 early. :/

I do have a pretty darn good PC now though, so I gotta keep that in mind. Not to port beg but it seems like a really likely thing to happen down the line considering SE's history with PC releases and Tabata's comments. Double dipping is one thing, but that plus a new hardware investment? Sigh. I'm just real worried a PC release ends up happening say, a month after the PS4 one. That'd hurt. Doesn't sound like one's in development for now though does it?

So yeah, just really need to know what exactly to expect out of the Pro version. I'm guessing I should keep an eye on TGS. :s

Koozek

Hmmm...I'll probably be getting a PS4 Pro. Sorry Ultimate Edition. It was never meant to be. I'll cancel that and put the money towards the Pro. It would have cost me about USD330 to buy and get it shipped to my country anyway.
You would've paid ~$100 just for an unnecessary piece of plastic. What would you do with a figurine. Waste of money and space. Also the soundtrack included isn't even the full one. Better put that money towards the Pro if you don't own a PS4 yet especially.

Nice ava, btw :) One of the best Zeldas. Top 3 easily for me.

DrBretto

Banned
Lol, as soon as we have more footage, someone will find something to complain about. Just enjoy the relative peace and good vibes while they last, I say.

Been enjoying it since PAX. They're killin it on the home stretch. Platinum demo, MS Titan Demo, "warp strike experience", all crap to keep us bitching. It's the internet. Bitching is how we say hello. It just means people are talking about it. And I've been saying this for months and months and even people I consider friends were calling me an apologist for their marketing department but I am absolutely positive that they're dumb like a fox.

It works like this. You just keep feeding info, every day, every other day. Doesn't matter what it is, we are glued and we are eating it up, from haters to fanboys. That's why there's a new thread here every other day. We eat it up, and all it takes is them to show off the goods on the home stretch and all of that pure, raw energy turns into sales. This isn't a fluke, either. They know how to nail a trailer when they want to. When it's worth it to. Everything in between is filler.

And if these last couple of days don't finally get people to see that I'm not talking out of my butt here, I'm willing to bet the TGS trailer is going to rival E3 2013, because it's time now.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
It will of course look better, but will it look better enough to warrant what is essentially another console purchase? That's my dilemma at the moment. I'm certainly not getting a 4K TV anytime soon

Their language of "it'll be better, and we're encouraging devs to make it as better as possible" but still being locked to the limitations of the base model isn't too encouraging. Seems like without 4K it'll be a bump from "medium" to "high" at best

Based on this footage it certainly looks better enough for me. As for your concern, it's no different than multiple graphics settings on PC games.

Liquid_015

Gold Member
Not sure if its me, but after listening to the live concert at abbey road. I've never been so hyped about the game. Gives me the vibes of Versus all over again. I need this godamn soundtrack.

Koozek

Been enjoying it since PAX. They're killin it on the home stretch. Platinum demo, MS Titan Demo, "warp strike experience", all crap to keep us bitching. It's the internet. Bitching is how we say hello. It just means people are talking about it. And I've been saying this for months and months and even people I consider friends were calling me an apologist for their marketing department but I am absolutely positive that they're dumb like a fox.

It works like this. You just keep feeding info, every day, every other day. Doesn't matter what it is, we are glued and we are eating it up, from haters to fanboys. That's why there's a new thread here every other day. We eat it up, and all it takes is them to show off the goods on the home stretch and all of that pure, raw energy turns into sales. This isn't a fluke, either. They know how to nail a trailer when they want to. When it's worth it to. Everything in between is filler.

And if these last couple of days don't finally get people to see that I'm not talking out of my butt here, I'm willing to bet the TGS trailer is going to rival E3 2013, because it's time now.

bdxRlau.gif

GorillaJu

Well good thing it isn't called PS4 Pro: Only Plays FFXV Edition. But to be honest, that's what I will probably only play on it and then resell it depending on if there's any news on how far out the PC version is.

They're selling a PS4 Pro: Plays Other Games Too edition? Pre-order uncancelled!!

Arkeband

Banned
Allegedly? Lol

yeah, allegedly, they're trying to sell you a system, for all you know this was thrown together in an afternoon from dev footage as a representation of what it could look like.

I'll believe it once they officially give us more than four or five whole seconds of footage.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony

Do you think FF15's IQ looked bad on PS4 or XB1? Now it'll look clear as day and better fidelity assets to boot.

No more 'downgrade' talk

Mediking

No. OG PS4s are getting HDR. PS4 Pro has better components inside which means better graphics, even at 1080p.

That's the HDR feature. You will get better graphics at 1080p too, of course. Rise of the Tomb Raider, for example, let's you choose between 4K with slightly better graphics, 1080p@30fps with more whistle and bells, and 1080@60fps with lower graphics. Otherwise the Pro would detect that your TV is only 1080p and spend the extra power on graphics while having more stable framerate than the base version too.

Thanks for explaining. Ohhh... so I truly am a 1080peasant on original PS4.

Based on this footage it certainly looks better enough for me. As for your concern, it's no different than multiple graphics settings on PC games.

I feel bad for Sony for having to deal with this misinformation. It's not really the peoples fault for not knowing about things like downsampling, but I agree on the fact that it was pretty clear in the conference. They had a whole section dedicated to 1080p and lower displays.

DrBretto

Banned
I feel bad for Sony for having to deal with this misinformation. It's not really the peoples fault for not knowing about things like downsampling, but I agree on the fact that it was pretty clear in the conference. They had a whole section dedicated to 1080p and lower displays.

This drives me nuts, too. People all over the net always shouting Liar Lair. Not enough asking for help understanding.

Arkeband

Banned
『Inaba Resident』;216230857 said:

Seriously, what is "lol" about this? It isn't as if we're talking about an industry or a publisher that hasn't done this kind of thing before.

Half of all FFXV discussion is figuring out what build footage is from, nothing is truly certain unless you simply drop your guard and take all marketing as gospel.

ViciousDS

Banned

It was clear for those who payed attention, the problem is general consumers don't or keywords overlap the message. When they constantly spouted HDR HDR HDR HDR HDR and 4k a million times in the post show interviews I kind of threw up a bit in my mouth.

I have never heard the word HDR and 4k more in my life, then I did in the 15 minutes post show alone.

.JayZii

Banned
yeah, allegedly, they're trying to sell you a system, for all you know this was thrown together in an afternoon from dev footage as a representation of what it could look like.

I'll believe it once they officially give us more than four or five whole seconds of footage.
I see what you mean. The person who you responded to asked: "Did the Pro montage featured any footage of FFXV running on it?". Your response made it sound like you didn't believe there was FFXV in the montage, to me. Which sounded funny.

I agree that whether or not it will look significantly better on PS4 Pro remains to be seen.

Mediking

Yeah you are buddy.

I am gonna spring for the Pro. Comes at just the right time

It's always good to see you, man.

And when graphic fidelity becomes a meme or a term... something is wrong. Hahaha somebody already started the "1080peasant" term on GAF for original PS4 owners.

It's always good to see you, man.

And when graphic fidelity becomes a meme or a term... something is wrong. Hahaha somebody already started the "1080peasant" term on GAF for original PS4 owners.

I will fully return when the FFXV OT is up. Until then I will pop in and out.

But yeah its not a big deal for me honestly but I don't even have a PS4 right now so it works and I might as well wait to get one at this point.

Aters

But yeah its not a big deal for me honestly but I don't even have a PS4 right now so it works and I might as well wait to get one at this point.

Man I envy you. I wish I didn't buy my PS4 so early. I don't use it all that much these two years.

wmlk

I haven't bought a PS4 either. Mostly just borrowed time from a friend to play the games I want.

I think I've been waiting for the Neo? Ideally I'd just keep on borrowing. I can't borrow for 100 hours of play time, though. lol.

Joqu

You would've paid ~$100 just for an unnecessary piece of plastic. What would you do with a figurine. Waste of money and space. Also the soundtrack included isn't even the full one. Better put that money towards the Pro if you don't own a PS4 yet especially.

Nice ava, btw :) One of the best Zeldas. Top 3 easily for me.

Thanks! <3

I wouldn't know how to rank the Zelda series, I love so many of em, but I do know Link's Awakening's up there. Tis a game that's very dear to my heart. A special little gem that's made all the more special to me for managing to pull at my heartstrings so well within the gameboy's limitations. :')

uh, to make this somewhat on topic: it's the games that manage to get me teary eyed that are the most special to me. I really hope XV manages to deliver in that regard get my cold cold heart melting. I mean, it sure looks like it'll be going for that sorta thing.

and... uh... the graphics boost the pro could give XV... might help in that regard? :p

wmlk

Thanks! <3

I wouldn't know how to rank the Zelda series, I love so many of em, but I do know Link's Awakening's up there. Tis a game that's very dear to my heart. A special little gem that's made all the more special to me for managing to pull at my heartstrings so well within the gameboy's limitations. :')

uh, to make this somewhat on topic: it's the games that manage to get me teary eyed that are the most special to me. I really hope XV manages to deliver in that regard get my cold cold heart melting. I mean, it sure looks like it'll be going for that sorta thing.

and... uh... the graphics boost the pro could give XV... might help in that regard? :p

The great music we heard today (particularly Noctis' and Luna's theme) sure helps in giving that kind of feeling.

Luna's theme. Dang.

Joqu

The great music we heard today (particularly Noctis' and Luna's theme) sure helps in giving that kind of feeling.

Luna's theme. Dang.

Yup. That's definitely what I was thinking of. Yoko <3

I just need the writing to back things up. Though uh, Kingdom Hearts already does the trick with me so I'm not asking for that much here :p

Gbraga

I want Crowe in the party :CCCC

Fuck.

I shouldn't have watched Kingsglaive.

Why couldn't such a cool character be in the game instead of the movie? >_<

The no news is bad news approach. I sure hope you're right. I can see this as plausible. I do think that some of the marketing we here on Gaf have derided probably wasn't aimed at us, but different demographics (casuals, teenage girls (not that there aren't some of those around here!), etc.).

This is going to be so hype, soar or crash and burn. Culmination of 10 years of message board hype and shitposting.

Mailbox

PS4 Pro saved the cable car from having no cables! O: At least in nearest view. XD

FFXV for the the Pros:

ffxvpros5p3x.png

And for the 1080p peasants:

image_final_fantasy_xv-32693-2754_0042.jpg

I mean at least show the new ps4 build from the 30min video instead of the old xbox one build if you're gonna make a point. :p

But that's an xbone screenshot, there's no way that's 1080p

kek

you're right, its 900p or lower... :/

Top Bottom