• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XV gameplay @ PAX West

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
I've been mostly on a media blackout for FFXV because I've found it's just better for my overall enjoyment of certain games to go in relatively blind .. but I downloaded something where a kid is in a dreamworld and walking around in what looks like a giant's house and a big dumb giant's kids blocks are there.

Long story short: Can anyone point me to a relatively spoiler free synopsis that is a bit more promising than that disaster? Because if it's anything like that it might be the first FF I don't buy since VI.

Tyaren

I've been mostly on a media blackout for FFXV because I've found it's just better for my overall enjoyment of certain games to go in relatively blind .. but I downloaded something where a kid is in a dreamworld and walking around in what looks like a giant's house and a big dumb giant's kids blocks are there.

Long story short: Can anyone point me to a relatively spoiler free synopsis that is a bit more promising than that disaster? Because if it's anything like that it might be the first FF I don't buy since VI.

It was part of a tech demo, Platinum Demo. This won't be in the actual game. The fighting mechanic is also extremely dumbed down for Kid-Noctis. You know who Noctis is or is that a spoiler too? XD

Mailbox

Don't trust your impressions from the Platinum Demo. No one here liked that. Though I do recommend playing the Iron Giant fight more than once, get the secret weapons and play with those.

As for a spoiler free synopsis on what we know (based on the first hours), basically think of it as Luna's pilgramige except its more about more personal stuff rather than killing sin.

If you want to feel better about it, watch the PAX footage. It shows an optional dungeon, so no story spoilers. Just one thing prior to watching, camera isn't great in some of the more closer areas.

Since the platinum demo, the game has looked a bunch better and a bunch more fun, otherwise none of us would be excited. :p

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
Don't trust your impressions from the Platinum Demo. No one here liked that. Though I do recommend playing the Iron Giant fight more than once, get the secret weapons and play with those.

As for a spoiler free synopsis on what we know (based on the first hours), basically think of it as Luna's pilgramige except its more about more personal stuff rather than killing sin.

If you want to feel better about it, watch the PAX footage. It shows an optional dungeon, so no story spoilers. Just one thing prior to watching, camera isn't great in some of the more closer areas.

Since the platinum demo, the game has looked a bunch better and a bunch more fun, otherwise none of us would be excited. :p

Thank you!

It was part of a tech demo, Platinum Demo. This won't be in the actual game. The fighting mechanic is also extremely dumbed down for Kid-Noctis. You know who Noctis is or is that a spoiler too? XD

Thank GOD. Also XD

Dmax3901

It's really irksome that to play FFXV at an acceptable frame rate and to make it look as good as it possibly can I'd have to spend several hundred dollars extra. And I'm not even a diehard FF fan.

It's really irksome that to play FFXV at an acceptable frame rate and to make it look as good as it possibly can I'd have to spend several hundred dollars extra. And I'm not even a diehard FF fan.

We don't know that the vanilla ps4 release version is going to have a busted frame rate though.

Ishida

Banned

Framerate seems pretty stable in the latest videos of the PS4 version, though.

Mcdohl

Here are some shots from the sizzle reel, resized to 1080p.

ffxvpro2vaois.png

You know.

I've been thinking...

Shouldn't the prince be arrested for jaywalking and reckless Chocobo riding on highways?

Mediking

So... lemme get this straight... all this time... members of FFXV such as wmlk and Koozek don't even own their own PS4? And Aters hasn't touched his PS4 in forever?

I'm adding this to the GAF lore.

wmlk

So... lemme get this straight... all this time... members of FFXV such as wmlk and Koozek don't even own their own PS4? And Aters hasn't touched his PS4 in forever?

Best games are on 3DS. That DS backlog...

wmlk

I love my 3DS too. Name 5 of your favorite games in that platform.
Biggest reason I got a 3DS is because of all of the Pokémon games across the 3DS and DS. So there's about six right there.

Then for me it's Zelda: A Link Between Worlds, then Ocarina of Time, then The World Ends With You, then Chrono Trigger DS.

I prefer Chrono Trigger on SNES much more though. Anyway, I consider the 3DS to be two systems at the price of one.

D

Deleted member 20920

Unconfirmed Member
You would've paid ~$100 just for an unnecessary piece of plastic. What would you do with a figurine. Waste of money and space. Also the soundtrack included isn't even the full one. Better put that money towards the Pro if you don't own a PS4 yet especially.

Nice ava, btw :) One of the best Zeldas. Top 3 easily for me.

I already have a PS4. Will try to sell it after I get a Pro. Will have to lower the price because i have one of those faulty self ejecting PS4s.

Falk

that puzzling face

I haven't had access to a PS4 since April last year. I've not played Duscae 2.0 nor Platinum Demo on console.

Mcdohl

I haven't had access to a PS4 since April last year. I've not played Duscae 2.0 nor Platinum Demo on console.

They're demos, borderline tech demos, so you're not missing much, but...

I already have Duscae nostalgia, even though for a while I was getting tired of it (SE overused it on its marketing).

It'll be interesting to see how Duscae plays out in the final version of the game.

Mailbox

My ps4 has been dead for the last month or so.. so..

Pro version it is (which is literally only $50 more than what a ps4 is now over here) woohoo :p

I have VII:R in mind when considering getting a Pro.

KH3 for me :3

FFXV and FFVIIR what comes to my mind when I think about upgrading to Pro... I want these two playable at 1080p on PS4 at the best possible way.

Actually I might upgrade to Pro the same day as FFXV so I make it even more special and extra extra happy :D !

Ran rp

You know what, this is going to be worth it just for FF7R and Naughty Dog's next title. I was saving up for PSVR but I can wait for Gen II.

FFXV and FFVIIR what comes to my mind when I think about upgrading to Pro... I want these two playable at 1080p on PS4 at the best possible way.

Actually I might upgrade to Pro the same day as FFXV so I make it even more special and extra extra happy :D !

same here, if these gifs are indicators of how the game will look in PRO Mode, I will defenitely get a PS4P in November.

edit: typo

JBwB

If PC wasn't my main platform I'd be all over the Pro for FFXV.

I'll get it eventually (most likely for KH3 & VIIR). The standard version will have to do for now :(

Philippo

Do we have those XV shots at good quality or only with YT compression? Seems too early to judge for me.

Who am i kidding though, i'm going to jump on and spend another 200 bucks just for this game.

harutrix

Neo Member
I went head and pre-ordered the PRO after work.

It gives me a good reason to finally get rid of my OG PS4 suffering from the eject button issue. >:)

Cheers to better IQ and stable frame rate! (HOPEFULLY)

u0bIOVC.gif

Go_Ly_Dow

Since the game didn't take center stage at the event I expect that the Neo upgrades will be quite light and nothing substantial. A bit disappointing if that's the case.

Aters

Since the game didn't take center stage at the event I expect that the Neo upgrades will be quite light and nothing substantial. A bit disappointing if that's the case.

Maybe they are still working on it and don't have much to show ATM.

JBwB

Well if that ends up being the case then at the very least the framerate will be rock solid.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
What's funny is that we don't actually know what settings the NEO version for FF15 is being taken at, is this the 4K checkerboard version?

I'm assuming because its short notice, FF15 will only have one neo mode, 4k checkerboard rendering that can be downscaled to 1080p, and the rest of the GPU power left over was used to spruce up assets and such. That's would give a super clear image even without using the GPU directly for graphical asset enhancement,and the CPU would do well to give a stable fps

artsi

I don't really think it indicates that, could also be that SE is still working on those features and didn't have more to show yet.

Part of me wants to pick up a PS4 pro, play the game looking its best, especially when it seems like they're really struggling to meet what they've shown us in the past. Seeing what could have been and being let down by the main edition of the game is a bit disappointing.

At the same time, unless the game has an interesting narrative that is compelling in some way, I doubt I'll care if I'm getting the best version or not. Is it worth $400 to play the best version of a Final Fantasy game if I'm not invested in its world? I almost exclusively play Japanese games, and they're really just not that likely to make a lot of use out of the Pro. It's probably safe to expect a lot of PS3 level games with minor improvements from the industry. I'm probably strange in the sense that I look at games this way.

Maybe I'll play the game once, and if it's something special, I'll pick up a pro. TGS might give an indication of what to expect from the game's story, but after what we've seen so far (or rather, the lack thereof) I'm not holding my breath.

It gives me a good reason to finally get rid of my OG PS4 suffering from the eject button issue. >:)

This is actual a problem for me and a reason why I'm considering upgrading as well. That being said, I have a quiet PS4 and I feel like any purchase is a gamble. I sit right next to it.

KupoNut

People really shouldn't be pre-ordering the PS4 Pro only to play a "better" version of FFXV based on 2 seconds of new footage.

Top Bottom