• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XV: Platinum Demo Thread

You know what I really really love about this game? That perhaps no other game has done to my knowledge?

It's the party system. That you are 4 friends in the party. You don't pick up anybody else along the way and these 4 people are almost ALWAYS there in-game. You travel together, you make banter together, you engage in activities together and you adventure together.

They don't show up out of your backpack as the fight starts, they're always there. It's that road-trip feeling that this game is pushing that I am just an absolute sucker for. I love road-trips in general and the same applies for games.

Yeah, there's a crap ton of party interaction on the field. And all of that's just from the Duscae demo. I can only imagine how much more there is in the final game.

I knew this game was going to be something special when I ended up getting grabbed by a magitech soldier, Ignis saved my ass then they did a fist bump afterwards.

Iwhat to think.
This is the trailer that convinced me this could be something special.
I'm extreamly sadden by the fact that no one has mention

WHAT HAPPEN TO THE MELE attacks?

Noctis used to slam/kick people faces against cars
Gladio used to body slam people into the pavement ect.

So sad that none of that was on duscae or this new platinum beta demo :(

I'm extreamly sadden by the fact that no one has mention

WHAT HAPPEN TO THE MELE attacks?

Noctis used to slam/kick people faces against cars
Gladio used to body slam people into the pavement ect.

So sad that none of that was on duscae or this new platinum beta demo :(

Chocobos can kick enemies lol he can still wield guns but yeah the grabs and melee attacks from the target render are gone. The grab/flip that he did during the e3 combat trailer is done Duscae via parry.

valkyre

I think releasing episode duscae 2.0 for everyone free would be a much, much better demo to get people excited for the game, than this platinum demo thing...

Byvar

2011 trailer remains goat.. E32013 brought the hype
http://youtu.be/YiIx9VJWSl8
Looking back on that trailer, the combat looked a lot more fun than it is now. It's quite a bit faster and more responsive. While FFXV is more realistic in how Noctis controls, this looks better as a game. Noctis could do a higher jump, a double jump, and was knocked back a lot less. The fire spell at 3:49, while straight out of KH2, seems easier to use as well as it is automatically cast at the targeted enemy.
It also just occurred to me that in that same sequence (3:49) you actually see "the light of expiring souls". That's quite a nice touch! Since nothing like that is in FFXV, could that mean they scrapped the idea of Noctis seeing "the light of expiring souls"?

Did they remove the parry system from Duscae 2.0 - or am I just missing something? I love that parry system, it really adds a tactical skill-based layer of depth to the combat.

But maybe it's not because it's representative of the full game that I don't like. But people here are saying they like how this one plays more than Duscae. So I'm not sure what to think.

That's a bit of an odd scenario though since It's kept a lot of the fundamentals of the ground combat but changed out auto-combos and opted for free control of what weapon you use. In a weird way, it makes ground combat a bit more simplistic than Duscae, but it replaces it with a pretty deep aerial combat system that's closer to what people expected for a long time. Essentially the combat playing as just Noctis alone has been massively improved and while Duscae was kind of cool at the time to see the group working together, actually playing it wasn't as satisfying as it could have been since you're very grounded and often getting mobbed. Or at least that's my interpretation of it.

The thing that really makes it stand out as an improvement to me most of all is that in Duscae you have four weapons just like in Platinum should you grab the extra two, but even with only two I had more options when attacking head on just by being able to warp in, air dodge and warp out when needed. Once you add the other two into the mix Duscae can't even compare anymore and that's without your allies too.

Did they remove the parry system from Duscae 2.0 - or am I just missing something? I love that parry system, it really adds a tactical skill-based layer of depth to the combat.

I was wondering about that too. I think it's still in since you can parry the Iron Giant but I hope they kept the indicator from Duscae 2.0 as well since you need it with mobs around you. It's still triggered the same way as Duscae I think too, just the button has changed in the overall control scheme.

I was wondering about that too. I think it's still in since you can parry the Iron Giant but I hope they kept the indicator from Duscae 2.0 as well since you need it with mobs around you. It's still triggered the same way as Duscae I think too, just the button has changed in the overall control scheme.

I would hope that they kept it in, because it's awesome. The animation of it, the sound effect of it - everything. It's also very satisfying to pull off a perfectly timed one too - no MP loss :)

Looking back on that trailer, the combat looked a lot more fun than it is now. It's quite a bit faster and more responsive. While FFXV is more realistic in how Noctis controls, this looks better as a game. Noctis could do a higher jump, a double jump, and was knocked back a lot less. The fire spell at 3:49, while straight out of KH2, seems easier to use as well as it is automatically cast at the targeted enemy.
It also just occurred to me that in that same sequence (3:49) you actually see "the light of expiring souls". That's quite a nice touch! Since nothing like that is in FFXV, could that mean they scrapped the idea of Noctis seeing "the light of expiring souls"?

Combat during the versus days was floaty just like KH it's the Nomura signature. If you look at e3 2013 combat trailer while not the same many of those concepts have been translated to current game. "The light of expiring souls" it's probably one of the story beats, I believe everything from the e3 2013 is still in one way or another. Probably the anime expands on his near death experience.

The parry is still intact no need to worry, you can parry the iron giant but the parry system should shine with giant enemy mobs.

The parry is still intact no need to worry, you can parry the iron giant but the parry system should shine with giant enemy mobs.

Can you still hold L1 to initiate it? I liked it being a semi-difficult move in Duscae 2.0 - it was something that only true skill allowed to accomplish.

I also hope that the parry indicator is in the finished game.

ss_lemonade

You got that right.

Nothing has topped the 2011 trailer for me; and I don't mean with just Versus XIII/XV, but with game trailers in general.

The music and the scene usage just makes you feel like you're apart of a grand adventure, imo. I know XV is still about going on an adventure/roadtrip, but the 2011 trailer evokes so many emotions for me.

Ran better too lol

You know we all love Noctis sleeping but seriously 2006 is where it all began even if we don't have the exact same vision.. But man that 2011 trailer was something special. It was meant to be dark and a different new series of FF or rather spinoff while the mainlines continued. I love the world and the lore plus I think Noctis is a chill protagonist which is quite cool.

2011 trailer remains goat.. E32013 brought the hype
http://youtu.be/YiIx9VJWSl8

Got to be honest.... I'd rather have this at 1080p60 than what we currently have with FF XV.

Looks like it plays just like Kingdom Hearts and at least based on what I played from Platinum demo I don't think that's a bad thing.

Even visually it looks nicer kind of. More colourful maybe, saturated colours a bit I guess. I dunno.

MogCakes

It's going to be difficult for SE to pull off air-warp anime-style combat with realistic recovery time - it feels sluggish if you hold O. When I -don't- hold O I can block much more easily as the block triggers immediately after my current attack instead of my next-queued attack from holding down the O button. Which tells me, holding the attack button down is a beginner's move that's meant to be outgrown and moved beyond once the player gets a hang of how the basic combat flows. IQ is bad - textures are muddy and framerate is inconsistent. The art direction is fantastic however and that music completely redeems the demo's faults all on its own just because I can finally hear Altissia's theme for longer than a few seconds. I haven't gotten the hang of warping yet.

I think XV's combat will require more investment than Kingdom Heart's because a lot of the actions you can perform need to be done with button combos and timed presses such as in mid-air - KH by comparison requires much less attention to that, you can just keep mashing X after you jump and you'll automatically pull off a great looking aerial combo animation. Attacks in KH have much less recovery frames and blocks are usually almost instant, versus XV's block taking some animation frames to activate as you press it. You can hold square to block automatically, but you can't run while holding it and I felt like the AI knows when to use its guard-breaker moves on you. In short KH is arcade-y, XV you have to be deliberate about your button presses and each attack or block requires more commitment, you can't cancel out of their animations (or at least, not nearly as often) like you can in KH. I can foresee a lot of people not enjoying that, in addition to the combat itself the combat controls are non-standard. XV will be a divisive title gameplay-wise.

It's going to be difficult for SE to pull off air-warp anime-style combat with realistic recovery time - it feels sluggish if you hold O. When I -don't- hold O I can block much more easily as the block triggers immediately after my current attack instead of my next-queued attack from holding down the O button. Which tells me, holding the attack button down is a beginner's move that's meant to be outgrown and moved beyond once the player gets a hang of how the basic combat flows. IQ is bad - textures are muddy and framerate is inconsistent. The art direction is fantastic however and that music completely redeems the demo's faults all on its own just because I can finally hear Altissia's theme for longer than a few seconds. I haven't gotten the hang of warping yet.

I think XV's combat will require more investment than Kingdom Heart's because a lot of the actions you can perform need to be done with button combos and timed presses such as in mid-air - KH by comparison requires much less attention to that, you can just keep mashing X after you jump and you'll automatically pull off a great looking aerial combo animation. Attacks in KH have much less recovery frames and blocks are usually almost instant, versus XV's block taking some animation frames to activate as you press it. You can hold square to block automatically, but you can't run while holding it and I felt like the AI knows when to use its guard-breaker moves on you. In short KH is arcade-y, XV you have to be deliberate about your button presses and each attack or block requires more commitment, you can't cancel out of their animations (or at least, not nearly as often) like you can in KH. I can foresee a lot of people not enjoying that, in addition to the combat itself the combat controls are non-standard. XV will be a divisive title gameplay-wise.

Agreed, divisive without a doubt. Btw you can cancel out of attack animations.

You can start with holding O to attack and Square to block. Then you can graduate to perfect blocks and/or using warp and aerial dodge to evade attacks completely while keeping up your offensive.

Exentryk

Btw you can cancel out of attack animations.

Not all of them. And that is really the issue because people expect their dodge to pretty much save them all the time if they press it in time. But since people sometimes might be committed to an attack animation, their dodge doesn't work and they get hit. Some attack animations can be cancelled, and the dodge works at those times. This inconsistency doesn't help.

Once people learn that, they can play accordingly and only use moves that can be cancelled, while only going all in when the enemy is staggered/stunned.

Not all of them. And that is really the issue because people expect their dodge to pretty much save them all the time if they press it in time. But since people sometimes might be committed to an attack animation, their dodge doesn't work and they get hit. Some attack animations can be cancelled, and the dodge works at those times. This inconsistency doesn't help.

Once people learn that, they can play accordingly and only use moves that can be cancelled, while only going all in when the enemy is staggered/stunned.

Hmm that's actually good that you have to commit, whether people bother to learn these aspects is another story.

brad-t

The 2011 Versus trailer honestly looks pretty bad to me. The environments are dull and muddy and the combat seems to lack weight. That was kinda when the Versus hype died for me; 2013's XV re-reveal is what brought it back. But, you know, different strokes and all that.

MogCakes

You can start with holding O to attack and Square to block. Then you can graduate to perfect blocks and/or using warp and aerial dodge to evade attacks completely while keeping up your offensive.

I'm practicing, I'm not usually good at action games so I still get wrecked by IG.

Some attack animations can be cancelled, and the dodge works at those times. This inconsistency doesn't help.

I think the first few attacks in a combo can be canceled, but the later/finishing strikes cannot. These are the ones that knock over enemies I believe. So it comes down to holding O long enough to queue the first few hits, then either immediately guarding or canceling it out some other way (maybe jumping?). So we have to be smart with button and animation timings.

Hmm that's actually good that you have to commit, whether people bother to learn these aspects is another story.

I'm worried this metagame won't be palatable to a large number of FF fans. KH fans will be able to get used to it pretty quickly if they aren't the X-mash-all-day-every-day type.

I really wish they made the magic just lock onto enemies. It makes me not want to use it since I have to "aim" it in the middle of combat. I'd rather just use my weapons instead.

Pilgrimzero

Wow this was awful. What the hell happened to FF? It's gotten progressively worse over the years. It's barely an RPG anymore.

At least Bravely Default exists I guess

blackjaw

I just finished it for the first time, wasnt too bad IMO

I love turn based combat so was a bit disappointed in the action focus, but I like the scenery and Noctus seems interesting

Preordered on Amazon, so count me in

Exentryk

How do you do that? Locking onto the enemy doesn't seem to lock the magic onto them (at least not enough that if the enemy is moving, the magic hits them anyways).

Hold L1, and fire the magic, and it will automatically hit at where the enemy is/was. It only tracks the enemy until you fire the spell. The spell is targetted on the ground, not on the enemy. So if the enemy is fast enough, it can still run away.

valkyre

Anyone else preferring Episode Duscae UI over Platinum Demo one?

I really dont like all these elements constantly on my screen (I mean the weapon wheel not the on screen tutorial which will obviously not be there). Reminds me of assassins creed... at least I hope they let you remove it.

sappyday

Anyone else preferring Episode Duscae UI over Platinum Demo one?

I really dont like all these elements constantly on my screen (I mean the weapon wheel not the on screen tutorial which will obviously not be there). Reminds me of assassins creed... at least I hope they let you remove it.

I hope those triggers have a good use because they are better suited for the weapon switching which would give us a UI closer to 2013's version.

Exentryk

Yeah, I read that earlier. I am guessing the anime covers more of that? It's cool how every thing seems to connect together.

Zaki2407

Finally I tried this demo. The graphic is still very rough. But I like the battle system. Hope they can polish this game to the max until release.

Koozek

Wow this was awful. What the hell happened to FF? It's gotten progressively worse over the years. It's barely an RPG anymore.

At least Bravely Default exists I guess
The main game is not a kiddy platformer in case you didn't follow it, lol. This demo really was a bad idea :(

Read this thread with the most recent information about its gameplay mechanics and general structure:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1204822

And watch this recent trailer:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C05PC_dGjsw

Kyne

Has anyone collected all the coins?

I did.

Is he referring to the " boss plate " in the townsquare before the final area? It just summons a bunch of mobs that I wiped out in one go with meteor.

Yeah, I think it is that. Although would love to be proven wrong :p

Idk if that's possible, because you lose them upon taking damage. So to max them out you would need to collect every single one and kill all enemies without taking any damage.

I'm not sure that's true.. I capped out at 320 (anyone else confirm on whether or not they got higher?) and whenever I took damage after that they didn't go down?

Some cool info, some episodes are in the past. So there's a good chance of seeing the crew during their kid days.

Twookie

I did.

Is he referring to the " boss plate " in the townsquare before the final area? It just summons a bunch of mobs that I wiped out in one go with meteor.

I'm not sure that's true.. I capped out at 320 (anyone else confirm on whether or not they got higher?) and whenever I took damage after that they didn't go down?

you do lose crystals when getting hit by enemies while playing as kid Noctis but not as adult Noctis
it's also possible to get more than 320 crystals, I had over 400 i'm pretty sure. you can even farm these by constantly respawning them by going on the monster plate on the third level

Top Bottom