• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XV Pro Patch Live Early?

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
They *REALLY* dropped the ball here.

It really does annoy me. Both modes now suck and are undesirable.

As it stands, the game looks better in motion on a standard PS4 and Xbox One.

PS4 still exhibits frame pacing issues but it's much less severe than on the Pro at 1800p and Xbox One, well, it has some slowdown and is blurry but the overall performance level feels more consistent overall.

Unfortunately I poured all of my time into the game on Pro. Was planning to finish this game up next week when I have some free time but now I'm going to put it back on the shelf again.

I'm doing a video right now on this and I hope they listen.

Zakalwe

Banned
Ugh, this isn't giving me faith in updates going forward.

A New Game+ without any meaningful +changes.
A 60fps patch that makes the Lite mode as off-putting to play to some as the framepacing in High.
Delayed content like the suits and weapons (I know the suits had a copyright issue, but still).

It's really hard trying to love this game sometimes.

ISee

Yeah those are the only two options now. To be fair I've tried to stop people calling it a 60fps mode before. That was just never going to happen, although I did hope for a little more than we got in the end. It's frustrating there's no smooth option available for those that want it now though

To be fair I never expected 100% locked 60 fps, some drops here and there to the low 50s are just fine for me. I'm not that crazy about locked fps and I'm sensitive to fps drops
But if it really barely hit 60 fps... that's just unnecessary.

Blizzje

PS4 still exhibits frame pacing issues but it's much less severe than on the Pro at 1800p and Xbox One, well, it has some slowdown and is blurry but the overall performance level feels more consistent overall.

Unfortunately I poured all of my time into the game on Pro. Was planning to finish this game up next week when I have some free time but now I'm going to put it back on the shelf again.

I know that frame pacing isn't the 'meat' of the video, as the 60fps is probably the main issue here. However, please go into some of the reasons why the high mode is still so ridden with frame pacing and why they simply can't take the Xbox One solution and implement it here.

Also, shouldn't HexaDrive be involved with this? If so, this may be the first time they really dropped the ball. Looking forward to your video, please address the possible reasons for frame pacing too.

Freeman76

Will be interesting to see this. Someone should tweet this to them when its done.

Chun-Li

It's annoying to me that both KH2.8 and this don't have an option to just lock the framerate to 30 for Pro owners. It bothered me a lot in KH2.8 since that is supposed to be more responsive than FFXV.

It would be ideal if they just did the Tomb Raider 2 and Nioh approach. That accommodated for all situations.

The framepacing is super annoying and would prefer that they fix that before adding anything else to the game. In fact, this is what they should do before new content is out:

1. Fix framepacing issues
2. Add locked 30fps option for Lite mode.
3. Make NG+ worthwhile with enemies that are scaled up in levels and difficulty. I'd even love if there was a skill-based version of Dodge.
4. Fix party AI so that they are less dumb
5. Rebalance weapons. So many useless weapons. Progression was too linear.

Zakalwe

Banned
It's annoying to me that both KH2.8 and this don't have an option to just lock the framerate to 30 for Pro owners. It bothered me a lot in KH2.8 since that is supposed to be more responsive than FFXV.

It would be ideal if they just did the Tomb Raider 2 and Nioh approach. That accommodated for all situations.

The framepacing is super annoying and would prefer that they fix that before adding anything else to the game. In fact, this is what they should do before new content is out:

1. Fix framepacing issues
2. Add locked 30fps option for Lite mode.
3. Make NG+ worthwhile with enemies that are scaled up in levels and difficulty. I'd even love if there was a skill-based version of Dodge.
4. Fix party AI so that they are less dumb
5. Rebalance weapons. So many useless weapons. Progression was too linear.

You can manually roll to dodge attacks, unless you mean something else?

Chun-Li

You can manually roll to dodge attacks, unless you mean something else?

I found the window for dodging and countering to be super lenient. I guess I was just hoping there would be a way to make it more skillful. You can get extremely far in the game with attacking while holding dodge at the same time.

Gitaroo

they uncapped the frame rate? So is there a lot of screen tearing now? They should use triple buffer if they haven't already.

I definitely notice the frame rate being higher and enjoy that, but don't notice the judder when it drops - guess I am pretty lucky. Personally I'm really happy with the update. Just picked it up for a sec to see how things turned out, not planning to really dive back in until all of the DLC is out. Hopefully they find a setting (or set of options) that everybody can enjoy.

Koozek

LOL, I knew they would fuck up by not giving an option to lock at 30. Haven't tried it yet and I'm not sure I'll even play the DLC until maybe all of them are out or the PC GotY edition port is out next year (or I'll never, who knows), but if I did I pretty much couldn't play any mode anymore with both of them having issues now. I'm usually really not sensitive when it comes to performance issues, but the High Mode's wonky frame pacing was even apparent to me and too annoying compared to the butter smooth, locked Light Mode.

Blizzje

So has SE ever even acknowledged the frame pacing issue?

They haven't, and it's been in the game ever since the platinum demo if I remember correctly. I wrote it off back then as 'they will fix it come release', but they never did. Still baffled why the Xbox One has no frame pacing. Is it because of the lower resolution and therefore the lower memory requirements or something?

Bebpo

Banned
Luckily was able to catch the patch downloading and paused it. I think that'll let me play through the game with the current 30fps lite mode and then after I beat it I can update for the new stuff. I kinda wanted to wait to play the game until they fixed the 2nd half, but if that means losing 30fps smooth mode I'll just play the game as is when I get a chance.

guybrushfreeman

Unconfirmed Member
To be fair I never expected 100% locked 60 fps, some drops here and there to the low 50s are just fine for me. I'm not that crazy about locked fps and I'm sensitive to fps drops
But if it really barely hit 60 fps... that's just unnecessary.

Yeah that's what I hoped for too

NXGamer

I just went to boot up the game just now and it started downloading 1.05, which is apparently the "Booster Pack" patch that also includes the infamous I'll-believe-it-when-I-see-it Pro Patch that we've been waiting for. Wasn't supposed to be released until Tuesday from what I see on the 'net.

My download's going to take another half hour or so. Anyone else had a look at it yet?
Yes and the results are not great, will be covering soon in a video but the variation on framerates could upset and feel worse to some.

Lucent

Seems to run fine in light mode. I notice the higher framerate. I guess I'm not seeing the variable in it. Still waiting for the ch 13 patch to play it.

I definitely notice the frame rate being higher and enjoy that, but don't notice the judder when it drops - guess I am pretty lucky. Personally I'm really happy with the update. Just picked it up for a sec to see how things turned out, not planning to really dive back in until all of the DLC is out. Hopefully they find a setting (or set of options) that everybody can enjoy.

Same here. I think it's better than before.

ISee

Can I ask thelastword to finally eat crow now?

http://neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=225667169

AFAIK, FROM never made shit worse

Doesn't matter if it was f* up from the beginning or because of a patch. Both games aren't in a good state, performance wise.
Bloodborne/DS3 is even a bit more troublesome because even the pro 'beast mode' isn't able to eliminate framespacing, there seems to be something wrong with the engine. Granted the beast mode isn't really a beast mode (more of a slight boost mode), but I hoped that the performance boost would be able to at least improve the annoying frame pacing problem.
Square just needs to patch in a 30 fps lite mode lock again for the pro. By far not a great solution, but there is at least some hope. Something I lost for Bloodborne (and to be fair, I still love it).

Zakalwe

Banned
Seems to run fine in light mode. I notice the higher framerate. I guess I'm not seeing the variable in it. Still waiting for the ch 13 patch to play it.

Have you ever played c13? I mean if you have an you hated it I get it, but otherwise I'd say it's nowhere near as bad as the vocal minority suggest, and the chances of it changing drastically via patches are very low.

If this is the only thing holding you back, I wouldn't worry.

i-Lo

You've got CDPR on end and FROM and SE on the other when it comes to prioritizing what needs fixing and then missing the mark for most part.

I wish there was a way to collectively tell SE to make a patch that gives us the option of locked 30fps w/o frame pacing issues (latter akin to XB1- so we know it IS possible).

WTF!!!???

>=(

You've got CDPR on end and FROM and SE on the other when it comes to prioritizing what needs fixing and then missing the mark for most part.

I wish there was a way to collectively tell SE to make a patch that gives us the option of locked 30fps w/o frame pacing issues (latter akin to XB1- so we know it IS possible).
It took CDPR one whole year to fix the frame rate on Witcher 3. They aren't really the top standard when it comes to quality control in games. Not to mention Witcher 3 also had game breaking bugs that took a while to be patched out.

leng jai

Lite mode feels worse than the original implementation. The way they've managed their flagship title is pretty pathetic.

Rizzi

I was waiting for the patch to play this, and they managed to screw it up pretty hard.
Pretty disappointed.

Lightning

Banned
FFXV was not designed with pro specs in mind. Implementing this shit is probably harder than we imagine it is.

While I'm disappointed I don't hold it against S-E in any way. Pro came out too late for this game, imo.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
FFXV was not designed with pro specs in mind. Implementing this shit is probably harder than we imagine it is.

While I'm disappointed I don't hold it against S-E in any way. Pro came out too late for this game, imo.
Right, but the issue here is that the two problems with the game COULD be solved.

A 30fps cap should be an option here as it was just fine prior to this patch. That is not a big thing to ask for.

Secondly, the method used on Xbox One (adaptive v-sync) could conceivably be applied to the PS4 version which would eliminate bad frame-pacing issues. We cannot say with 100% certainty, of course, but it certainly makes sense.

i-Lo

It took CDPR one whole year to fix the frame rate on Witcher 3. They aren't really the top standard when it comes to quality control in games. Not to mention Witcher 3 also had game breaking bugs that took a while to be patched out.

Oh I concur but there was always a sense that they were always working away to fix the technical issues that were highlighted by DF among other aspects- Presumably due to good communication between the community and the devs. SE (& FROM) seem to be somehow be oblivious to what the community want from a technical perspective (again partially because there is no conveyance of any intent that they are even looking into it, unless I am mistaken).

Oh I concur but there was always a sense that they were always working away to fix the technical issues that were highlighted by DF among other aspects- Presumably due to good communication between the community and the devs. SE (& FROM) seem to be somehow be oblivious to what the community want from a technical perspective (again partially because there is no conveyance of any intent that they are even looking into it, unless I am mistaken).
Well the game is out for what? Give and take 3 months. The first DLC episode is set for March 30th and SE has promised post-launch support and free DLCs after release. They are also listening to the fans and I am sure if there is enough demand, they will add a 30 fps cap in a future update.

From Software though. They are terrible at technical and communication skills. I wouldn't compare them to Square Enix in any way.

i-Lo

Well the game is out for what? Give and take 3 months. The first DLC episode is set for March 30th and SE has promised post-launch support and free DLCs after release. They are also listening to the fans and I am sure if there is enough demand, they will add a 30 fps cap in a future update.

From Software though. They are terrible at technical and communication skills. I wouldn't compare them to Square Enix in any way.

Well, I still have the game unwrapped. Hopefully, what you say will come to pass so that I can actually play it.

PS: IIRC a 30 cap may not preclude frame pacing issue.

Lightning

Banned
Right, but the issue here is that the two problems with the game COULD be solved.

A 30fps cap should be an option here as it was just fine prior to this patch. That is not a big thing to ask for.

Secondly, the method used on Xbox One (adaptive v-sync) could conceivably be applied to the PS4 version which would eliminate bad frame-pacing issues. We cannot say with 100% certainty, of course, but it certainly makes sense.
People have been clamming for 60fps for Pro since the games release though. Yeah a lock at 30fps would solve current issue but that won't make the hate or complaining go away. It will make this issue go away while further igniting the 60fps issue which this game has not been programmed and designed to run at based on what I've seen of the game.

I think there's a possibility it comes down to API differences between PS4 and Bone. Whatever it is that DirectX is doing on the Bone, it seems to result in better framepacing than whatever API the game uses internally on PS4.

I'm content with how it looks and performs in High mode on the Pro. Yes, there is judder when you pan the camera for example while driving the car. It's not something that is game-breaking for me. I've been playing video games since the NES days. I remember when Nintendo 64 games ran at 20 fps. I remember when PS1 didn't have texture filtering. I remember when PS2 didn't have bilinear filtering. We've come a long way since then, and I don't know of any other game engine that attempts a global illumination system the way Luminous Engine does. Even Unreal Engine 4 gave up on global illumination. It is what it is.

I'll probably progress until the infamous chapter 13, hopefully the patch which adjusts that chapter will drop about when I reach it.

Fuck Luminous Engine ! Really this engine can't stand ps4 or even ps4 pro hardware... it's would take a beefy PC to make it justice.

Well, I still have the game unwrapped. Hopefully, what you say will come to pass so that I can actually play it.

PS: IIRC a 30 cap may not preclude frame pacing issue.
Lite mode practically eliminated majority of the frame pacing issues and even for Dark10x, who is highly sensitive to them, it made the game playable. So a 30 FPS cap with new optimization should work better for frame pacing.

Fuck Luminous Engine ! Really this engine can't stand ps4 or even ps4 pro hardware... it's would take a beefy PC to make it justice.
Hard to blame the engine when 0.2 Birth By Sleep (UE4) runs at an unlocked frame rate with 1080p resolution on PS4 Pro and struggles to hold even 60 fps, even when it is barely open world game and mostly linear short segments.

Lite mode practically eliminated majority of the frame pacing issues and even for Dark10x, who is highly sensitive to them, it made the game playable. So a 30 FPS cap with new optimization should work better for frame pacing.

Hard to blame the engine when 0.2 Birth By Sleep (UE4) runs at an unlocked frame rate with 1080p resolution on PS4 Pro and struggles to hold even 60 fps, even when it is barely open world game and mostly linear short segments.

BBS struggles also?!

Man, I guess it just comes down to as they're just bad at optimizations, then...

Blackthorn

"hello?" "this is vagina"
This is maddening. Just sort out the frame pacing. Fuck.

John, is there anyone in Square's western PR that you could get in touch with about this? I know Japanese devs are more or less impossible to reach, but someone on the western side might at least be able to pass on your advice.

Top Bottom