• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XV SPOILER THREAD

JeffZero

Purple Drazi
Im gonna chill with jrpgs for now. Ive been playing lightning returns and ffviii and now xv.... saying that my mind is fried is saying the least.

ME3 is what im looking forward to the most right now.

Oh, you haven't played 3 yet? Or do you mean Andromeda? I'm a huge Mass Effect fan (it and Final Fantasy are my main jams) so I'm hype as heck for Andromeda, too.

If you're just starting out on ME3, though, I can give you some tips sometime or something.

Damerman

Consider leviathan, they have their own ideas. It doesn't communicate it perfectly but from the prospective of the main characters we don't know. But there was already enough wiggle room to allow it.
I can agree with that, but i would have preferred to hear what ifrit had to say for himself.

Oh, you haven't played 3 yet? Or do you mean Andromeda? I'm a huge Mass Effect fan (it and Final Fantasy are my main jams) so I'm hype as heck for Andromeda, too.

If you're just starting out on ME3, though, I can give you some tips sometime or something.
My fault i mean mass effect andromeda

It would take way more than dlc. They would need a director's cut with many more cutscenes and way more mainstory quests...

Honestly they need a directors cut from nomura himself that included scenes like when noctis and stella conversed about the painting of the godess etro. And altisia setpiece was not nearly as cool as it was in the e3 2013 trailer.

Final Fantasy XVersus

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
Ah, my mistake, I meant 2013, which was just a CGI target render. you're right about 2008/11

Its weird cause it was january 2011, so technically it was in 2010 that that footage was put together and released.

VII-R might be my most anticipated game ever. Either it or ME3, I don't know.

Let me have my REMAKE and then we can all hype XVI. <_>

Please come through this time, Nomura. Please. Please. Please. Get KH3 out soon so KH fans can be happy and then gogogogogo FFVII.

Tai yasue is working on KH3 day to day, its easier to multitask both projects at once. Osaka team can do a game and CC2/SE developers and the higher staff can do a game.

Just T

Just completed the game. I enjoyed a good bit of things in the game but also was disappointed by a good bit of stuff too so there is this kinda overall so-so feeling left. The exploration parts are pretty good there are some great locations in the game, getting to them can be a hassle sometimes though. The sidequest that I did were lacking and after a while got tired of them so just continued with the story. The gameplay system is one I never fully liked I consider it disappointing overall but just got used to it even with the annoying things about it. But speaking of gameplay the monster designs in this game are great, know there is still more to see there.

Now for the thing that disappointed me the most and what I was looking forward to the most, which is the story. This story was such a fucking mess. It felt like an afterthought throughout the whole game. They kept trying to have these emotional moments without putting the work in to build them up so it’s just like what kind of payoff are you expecting with these swelled up music moments to make this scene make you feel something when you didn’t put in the actual prior scenes and moments in there to make you feel something. It’s weird it happened with Luna, I mean they could have done way more with her so she would give off more impact but nothing. Ravus and his whole shit, and Prompto’s little moment in Chapter 13 that lasted so briefly lol. Also, that chapter is horrendous, wtf were they thinking. But yeah there feels like so much wasted potential with the story and characters on both sides in this that it’s just disappointing. Chapter 9 to the end were just underwhelming with very few bright spots.

That all led to me not caring for the ending, just unsatisfying.

Inuhanyou

It would take way more than dlc. They would need a director's cut with many more cutscenes and way more mainstory quests...

Honestly they need a directors cut from nomura himself that included scenes like when noctis and stella conversed about the painting of the godess etro. And altisia setpiece was not nearly as cool as it was in the e3 2013 trailer.

Funnily enough, the party scene was actually mocked up by Tabata in Kingsglaive

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EXH_-nQIcLY&t=102s Kingsglaive version

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4n_x5k9h1Hg&t=138s Party scene

They even have the fishtank in the backround and somnus in the backround

JeffZero

Purple Drazi
Tai yasue is working on KH3 day to day, its easier to multitask both projects at once. Osaka team can do a game and CC2/SE developers and the higher staff can do a game.

Excellent.

I wonder when the heck Kingdom Hearts 3 will come out, anyway. I ought to try again with that franchise some time next year!

Rebel Leader

THE POWER OF BUTTERSCOTCH BOTTOMS
Childhood friends who knew their destiny would be together due to the nature of the roles they were born into. They fell in love because they believed they had to, and in the afterlife they obtained their roles.

Look I'm not saying the game tells well but holy shit, if 7 came out today neogaf would have called it an insane mess of ideas.
The game forcing it on me as if I'm supposed to feel something when luna died and at the end.they should have shown more childhood scenes between the 2. A steady build up of it.

And gaf would not touch 7 based on the graphics if it were released today. :p

Next, how did ignis get blind?
Why did gladio go away?

Slater

Banned
Can't wait for this to leak in 2029.

In a perfect world at some point in the future the suits mostly responsible someday get fired and then both Nomura and Tabata get to spill everything and exonerate themselves from the majority of this clusterfuck.

The game forcing it on me as if I'm supposed to feel something when luna died and at the end.they should have shown more childhood scenes between the 2. A steady build up of it.

That was clearly the plan at some point, Luna has like four scenes at least from trailers missing in the actual game.

Inuhanyou

But technically speaking, we did have tons of childhood scenes between Luna and Noctis in the pre marketing material, and we actually had a much more indepth backstory of Luna in particular, at one point in a trailer as well, where some dude was choking her out and she was trying to escape.

But none of that ever made it into the final game, which smacks of hysteria level rushing to be done on time.

*edit*

Slater said it before me, on point dude.

Excellent.

I wonder when the heck Kingdom Hearts 3 will come out, anyway. I ought to try again with that franchise some time next year!

It'll be the best way to try the series on PS4 at 1080p 60fps(or native 4K 60fps on pro) for 1.5+2.5, and also 2.8 before 3.

Rebel Leader

That was clearly the plan at some point, Luna has like four scenes at least from trailers missing in the actual game.

But technically speaking, we did have tons of childhood scenes between Luna and Noctis in the pre marketing material, and we actually had a much more indepth backstory of Luna in particular, at one point in a trailer as well, where some dude was choking her out and she was trying to escape.

But none of that ever made it into the final game, which smacks of hysteria level rushing to be done on time.

*edit*

Slater said it before me, on point dude.

I know i saw of the trailers but that's all they are sadly,trailers. They mean little thought now

hamchan

I don't understand how people were this confused for a story this simple.

You don't understand how people were confused by this horrible story that requires the player to watch a separate movie, that explains nothing in detail, that has major events happen to characters off-screen?

Slater

Banned

*edit*

Slater said it before me, on point dude..

It's sad, Luna's portrayal was always going to get flack no matter what, but I genuinely don't think the ten minutes we got is something Tabata thought was really acceptable. Whatever her fate, they clearly had more planned for her then what we got.

You don't understand how people were confused by this horrible story that requires the player to watch a separate movie, that explains nothing in detail, that has major events happen to characters off-screen?

Subjective as hell, and exactly the problem with gaf in a nutshell right now.

As for the second part, the only part that felt truly required was the ring and even then I would say it serves as a weak character explanation for why Luna needed to see Noctis before she died. It's Noctis's story, it is the story of how he needs to grow up and accept the fate of his bloodline. Look there are tons to nitpick but everyone just yelling at the heavens isn't analysis it's childishness.

It did, although I took Luna as the character in the story that accepted her fate at a young age. She existed as the other side of the coin to Noctis of what the hero should be. The story needed more feminism for Final Fantasy but on it's own I liked the idea of parallelism

longdi

Banned
Why did they keep the Ifrit thing in a guide book? That is some amateurish game development.

Do you think all these off-screen cuts is because of DLCs? SE doing a very good evil EA impression...

Inuhanyou

It's sad, Luna's portrayal was always going to get flack no matter what, but I genuinely don't think the ten minutes we got is something Tabata thought was really acceptable. Whatever her fate, they clearly had more planned for her then what we got.

sure, no disagreements there.

That is why i say that i doubt this project really made anyone really satisfied in the end, outside of maybe the penny pushers.

Inuhanyou

Why did they keep the Ifrit thing in a guide book? That is some amateurish game development.

Do you think all these off-screen cuts is because of DLCs? SE doing a very good evil EA impression...

They would have to create an entire other game's worth of DLC to fix up the game's issues.

I don''t think a vast majority of it was them intentionally cutting things so much as not being able to implement it in a satisfactory manner before the deadline, and so just cut it.

Of course i said a vast majority, i do think the point in the story where Prompto is out of the party, Ignis gets blinded and such were clear cuts, so that they would have DLC content and be able to ship the base game on time.

hamchan

Subjective as hell, and exactly the problem with gaf in a nutshell right now.

As for the second part, the only part that felt truly required was the ring and even then I would say it serves as a weak character explanation for why Luna needed to see Noctis before she died. It's Noctis's story, it is the story of how he needs to grow up and accept the fate of his bloodline. Look there are tons to nitpick but everyone just yelling at the heavens isn't analysis it's childishness.

I think just writing off any opposing opinion "as gaf in a nutshell" and "childishness" is more of a problem. Learn to accept that people disagreeing with you aren't just yelling to the heavens, we're just talking and having a conversation, even if you don't want to hear it.

I think the whole story was held back by the troubled development and it shows. There's a whole, well paced, story written for this game filled with twists and turns that wasn't given its due. Instead they chose to just give lip service to all the main story beats and I don't know if that was the right decision over cutting the story in thirds. Maybe if it was the PS1 days they could have done a story this ambitious, but too bad it isn't.

Stuff like Insomnia falling, everything to do with Luna, Ignis being blinded, Tenebrae being just a train station, Ravus' whole story, Prompto saying he's an MT and the guys just being "yeah ok", the fall of the empire and that whole infection thing happening off-screen, the world of ruin, it's all rushed over and given no time to develop. Now we're just left with the shell of story with nothing filling it.

Even Ardyn's reveal of his true name isn't explained very well, and he's the main bad guy of the game.

Rebel Leader

That is why i say that i doubt this project really made anyone really satisfied in the end, outside of maybe the penny pushers.

They should be satisfied. While the story and open world needs work, the game is still fun to play.t
A game being fun after being in development for so long is no easy task.

Trago

Outside of the main four, NONE of the drama works at all.

Most of the heavy moments weren't earned at all, and that's a shame. I'm thinking there was a lot of cut content/concepts for time or something.

Slater

Banned

Oh yeah creatively I doubt anyone involved is really satisfied. Maybe just relieved the albatross around there neck is finally gone one way or the other. Like I'm sure BD2 and Tabata all can't wait to actually get there shot to use there resources to make something that's actually theirs and not tied to anyone else or ten years of expectations.

ebil

Not all, but some of them for sure. I think there are blatant holes for DLC purposes (Gladio's and Prompto's are obvious, I'd argue Ignis' is as well), but there are a lot of scenes and sections that feel like they were outright cut from the game when it became clear that they wouldn't be able to meet the deadline if they included them.

The fact that there's a whole lot of Tenebrae that was modeled (with some of it even appearing in a real time cutscene) and that we only got it as a fancy backdrop while the story rushed forward with clumsy flashbacks screams "compromise" more than "greed" to me.

Even what's there is often very unpolished. I watched my husband play through the second half today and some cutscenes have awkward, glitchy fade-outs or awful mixing that wouldn't be out of place in a beta. It's very clear that a lot of it was just rushed.

Chase17

Most of the heavy moments weren't earned at all, and that's a shame. I'm thinking there was a lot of cut content/concepts for time or something.

Are you telling me you weren't shaking to your core with that Prompto revelation?

/s

Infest

Yeah she's so underdeveloped in the final game. :/

For example she gets so much praise for helping/saving people all around the world of Eos, but we never get to see WHAT she actually does. What happened to this artwork.... (same with Ardyn btw.)
latest

Rebel Leader

Sure, but if they had kept his original vision, it might have felt more complete than what we got ironically.
They still have a script

So if they have no idea what to do with a final fantasy, there's a completed script ready to be used.

But i would like to see what tabata can do with a final fantasy on his own.

Tyaren

Regarding the plotholes of Gladiolus getting his scars, Ignis going blind and Prompto being kidnapped/being Verstaels son:

I see so many people wondering what all that is about. But isn't it obvious that the announced DLC missions will cover these events?
It's especially clear with Ignis and Prompto. The info we got about their missions fits perfectly with what little we learned in the story about their disappearances.
Ignis went blind while helping to evacuate Altissia. His DLC mission will be strategic in nature, that they already told us.
Prompto fell off the train shortly before reaching the snowy regions. We know from the DLC concept art that he will be in a snowy region in his mission.
Just for Gladio we hardly know anything other than that he met with someone to take care of something. It will probably also explain a plothole we can't connect it to yet. I have a hunch that in it we will also get closure with Cor who just vanished from the story.
Im pretty sure the actual game was meant to have all solo missions in the game, Gladio first, than Ignis, then Prompto and then finally Noctis' solo mission in chapter 13. That seems to make perfect sense to me at least.
The second half of the game felt very short, rushed and unfinished. The absence of these three missions is probably the reason.
Didn't they also claim the pure story content was about 40-50 hours long and then we found out is is a good 10-20 hours shorter? I think it's strange that they were so off the mark. But back than, including the 3 missions, the story content was probably really 40-50 hours long. ;)

Inuhanyou

Oh yeah creatively I doubt anyone involved is really satisfied. Maybe just relieved the albatross around there neck is finally gone one way or the other. Like I'm sure BD2 and Tabata all can't wait to actually get there shot to use there resources to make something that's actually theirs and not tied to anyone else or ten years of expectations.

Yep.

I have to wonder what could have been with Nomura still at the helm....

We will never really know. It triggers people to ask the question, and i doubt it really matters in the end anywho, considering it wasn't to be.

Slater

Banned

For example she gets so much praise for helping/saving people all around the world of Eos, but we never get to see WHAT she actually does. What happened to this artwork.... (same with Ardyn btw.)
latest

There is actually an optional cutscene that shows her healing people and helping as the Oracle that has nothing to do with Noctis. I have a feeling a lot more of that type of stuff was planned for her but just got cut in the rush to finish.

ebil

latest
There's an optional scene where you can see her healing people from what I assume to be the Starscourge, but 1) it's optional 2) it's in chapter 4 or 5 and you don't learn anything about an actual sickness before chapter 13 or so.

Edit: dammit Slater!

jb1234

I'm not convinced much of the drama within the four worked all that well either. One of Gladio's defining character traits (maybe his only one) is jumping in and reaming Noctis a new one. Problem is, I can't think of a single time this felt earned. I actually thought Gladio was a jerk during the train scene and sorta enjoyed Noctis going all passive-aggressive on him.

Trago

We get one cutscene with Luna and Noct as kids, and we're expected to give a shit when she gets stabbed?

I felt literally nothing when Luna was crying about getting married to Noctis. A lot of it doesn't work because we have almost nothing to go by.

I don't understand how people were this confused for a story this simple.
The basic plot beat summary is simple enough. Most people aren't confused by that.

The problem is that what happens within that plot outline is confusing or poorly done. The explanation of the Starscourge. The explanation of Ifrit and Ardyn's relationship. The weaving of Luna and Noct's relationship. Jared and Talcott. Cor. All of it leaves far too much to be desired.
I have to wonder what could have been with Nomura still at the helm....
I'm going to continue saying this, I think it still would have been a flustercluck even if he stayed on. His ideas for a trilogy were just too ambitious to begin with.

hamchan

Regarding the plotholes of Gladiolus getting his scars, Ignis going blind and Prompto being kidnapped/being Verstaels son:

I see so many people wondering what all that is about. But isn't it obvious that the announced DLC missions will cover these events?
It's especially clear with Ignis and Prompto. The info we got about their missions fits perfectly with what little we learned in the story about their disappearances.
Ignis went blind while helping to evacuate Altissia. His DLC mission will be strategic in nature, that they already told us.
Prompto fell off the train shortly before reaching the snowy regions. We know from the DLC concept art that he will be in a snowy region in his mission.
Just for Gladio we hardly know anything other than that he met with someone to take care of something. It will probably also explain a plothole we can't connect it to yet. I have a hunch that in it we will also get closure with Cor who just vanished from the story.
Im pretty sure the actual game was meant to have all solo missions in the game, Gladio first, than Ignis, then Prompto and then finally Noctis' solo mission in chapter 13. That seems to make perfect sense to me at least.
The second half of the game felt very short, rushed and unfinished. The absence of these three missions is probably the reason.
Didn't they also claim the pure story content was about 40-50 hours long and then we found out is is a good 10-20 hours shorter? I think it's strange that they were so off the mark. But back than, including the 3 missions, the story content was probably 40-50 hours long. ;)

I think you're right, and that kinda makes it more unforgivable to me. If the game was just rushed I think that's understandable, because making video games is incredibly hard. But cutting out content to sell as DLC, to the detriment of the story, that just plain sucks.

Trago

I'm going to continue saying this, I think it still would have been a flustercluck even if he stayed on. His ideas for a trilogy were just too ambitious to begin with.

Kingdom Hearts is a clusterfuck, but at least the game makes you feel something towards its characters and moments. Pure Nomura madness comes with the territory at this point, but I'm certain that I'd have given a shit more than I did with what we got.

There is actually an optional cutscene that shows her healing people and helping as the Oracle that has nothing to do with Noctis. I have a feeling a lot more of that type of stuff was planned for her but just got cut in the rush to finish.
I saw that cutscene. Didn't know it was optional. What triggers it?

It was just a bizarre contextless scene anyways. Apparently it might have had something to do with the Starscourge? Who would ever know that? It's actually a really odd scene when it pops up.
That's an unacceptable way to excuse plot holes.
We get one cutscene with Luna and Noct as kids, and we're expected to give a shit when she gets stabbed?

I felt literally nothing when Luna was crying about getting married to Noctis. A lot of it doesn't work because we have almost nothing to go by.
That scene was almost carried on the back of me being invested into Noct. When she died, I felt a little sad for him since he clearly cared about her, but otherwise, yeah. There's not much there for a player to latch onto with Luna. She's so poorly imagined, so poorly integrated and so poorly explained in the game.

Chase17

It was just a bizarre contextless scene anyways. Apparently it might have had something to do with the Starscourge? Who would ever know that? It's actually a really odd scene when it pops up.

I think the trigger is just listing to the radio that the game puts you right next to before going towards titan with Adryn in chapter 4. Or rather it's halfway on the trip there, where you stay and the rest point.

ebil

It triggers when you approach the radio at the gas station before Titan's setpiece.

I assumed it was her healing people from the Starscourge because she's removing black stains from their bodies with magic, just like what she tries to do later on with Ardyn.

She also recites a line that goes like "Blessed Stars of Life and Light, Deliver us from Darkness' Blight". It basically spells it out? I have a good memory so it eventually clicked but it was an oddly placed scene for sure.

Trago

That scene was almost carried on the back of me being invested into Noct. When she died, I felt a little sad for him since he clearly cared about her, but otherwise, yeah. There's not much there for a player to latch onto with Luna. She's so poorly imagined, so poorly integrated and so poorly explained in the game.

Sure, it sucks that we couldn't get the wedding going, but again, that's me consciously begging to give a shit but can't. They managed to have less chemistry than Cloud and Aerith! Or Squall and Rinoa! That's genuinely impressive lol.

Kingdom Hearts is a clusterfuck, but at least the game makes you feel something towards its characters and moments. Pure Nomura madness comes with the territory at this point, but I'm certain that I'd have given a shit more than I did with what we got.
We'll never know that for sure, but my gut reaction would be to agree.

As I posited in other threads, a lot of Nomura stuff falls into the category of "schlock" to me. That is to say, it's "good schlock." His stuff is nearly objectively edgelordish, silly, immature and nonsensical at times, but it's still fun and I enjoy it. Kingdom Hearts is the Rocky IV of video games.
Yes, it is unacceptable for me too. I just spelled it out because I was wondering why, to my knowledge, no one else came to that conclusion/suspicion yet. ;)
It's not exactly a revelation.

Most of us have had that thought at some point. When I was playing the game and it became clear that Gladio or Iggy's issues weren't going to be explained I immediately though "DLC bait."

We even debated it a dozen pages back or so actually.
Sure, it sucks that we couldn't get the wedding going, but again, that's me consciously begging to give a shit but can't. They managed to have less chemistry than Cloud and Aerith! Or Squall and Rinoa! That's genuinely impressive lol.
Oh it is.

The thing is that it's hardly even a matter of "more" or "less" chemistry. There isn't any chemistry. They basically never interact as adults! You, the player, never really get to do anything with her to understand what she means to Noct besides choose some dumb line to put in some journal that a dog carries!

This is wrong. Jesus, you guys are working overtime into pushing the narrative that Nomura is literally a hack. Like not even half of one, like a whole one, like he can't even create a playable space as a director in like 6 years time.

I mean, my username is Sora, so yeah I'm a fan of Nomura's work, but let's be real.

The last thing Nomura showed of the project before he got kicked out was a fake trailer consisted of 80% CG with menus strapped on it, and 20% prototype environment running at 15FPS. We later discovered that even the prototype stuff was handled by the type-0 team.

People have every right to call him a hack, he's the one who put himself in this position. And he didn't fully direct a game in more than 10 years in this point to prove otherwise. No need to get super worked up everytime someone mentions those fact. If Nomura's still good, he'll prove it himself in VII Remake.

It triggers when you approach the radio at the gas station before Titan's setpiece.

I assumed it was her healing people from the Starscourge because she's removing black stains from their bodies with magic, just like what she tries to do later on with Ardyn.

She also recites a line that goes like "Blessed Stars of Life and Light, Deliver us from Darkness' Blight". It basically spells it out? I have a good memory so it eventually clicked but it was an oddly placed scene for sure.

I didn't realize that was optional, it really shouldn't have been. The biggest problem with the storytelling was just how much of the story was hidden in random papers or content thrown about.

Chase17

I like how Dino can just omnisciently know Noctis' phone number, but he and Luna have to use dogs. In Eos dog communication may be the equivalent of a secure line that royalty must use.

I didn't realize that was optional, it really shouldn't have been. The biggest problem with the storytelling was just how much of the story was hidden in random papers or content thrown about.

The way it is set up it would be pretty hard to miss (that luna scene at least), but I agree.

Top Bottom