• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XV SPOILER THREAD

Trago

Oh it is.

The thing is that it's hardly even a matter of "more" or "less" chemistry. There isn't any chemistry. They basically never interact as adults! You, the player, never really get to do anything with her to understand what she means to Noct besides choose some dumb line to put in some journal that a dog carries!

And that's the biggest slap in the face too. All this buildup of finally 'meeting your bride to be', and we get no casual interactions between them to give off the feeling that they ever had any history. It's a dumpster fire!

And in Altissia of all places too! The most beautiful location in the entire game! I'm the last guy who's looking for romance in his entertainment, but fuck, how did Square miss that golden opportunity to have some genuine interactions between the two of them in video game Venice?

I mean, my username is Sora, so yeah I'm a fan of Nomura's work, but let's be real.

The last thing Nomura showed of the project before he got kicked out was a fake trailer consisted of 80% CG with menus strapped on it, and 20% prototype environment running at 15FPS. We later discovered that even the prototype stuff was handled by the type-0 team.

People have every right to call him a hack, he's the one who put himself in this position. And he didn't fully direct a game in more than 10 years in this point to prove otherwise. No need to get super worked up everytime someone mentions those fact. If Nomura's still good, he'll prove it himself in VII Remake.
Birth by Sleep came out in the past ten years. I'm satisfied with that game proving he's not a complete hack.

The only game that I'd really call "hackish" anyways is DDD.
I think the trigger is just listing to the radio that the game puts you right next to before going towards titan with Adryn in chapter 4. Or rather it's halfway on the trip there, where you stay and the rest point.

It triggers when you approach the radio at the gas station before Titan's setpiece.

I assumed it was her healing people from the Starscourge because she's removing black stains from their bodies with magic, just like what she tries to do later on with Ardyn.

She also recites a line that goes like "Blessed Stars of Life and Light, Deliver us from Darkness' Blight". It basically spells it out? I have a good memory so it eventually clicked but it was an oddly placed scene for sure.
Oh huh. I forgot that it trigged when I went over to that radio.

I guess when I was watching it, I was too engrossed with being a nitpicky ass and thinking "Yuna did this kind of scene better" :)
And that's the biggest slap in the face too. All this buildup of finally 'meeting your bride to be', and we get no casual interactions between them to give off the feeling that they ever had any history. It's a dumpster fire!
Yup. As I proposed a few times now, something as simple as a casual city-tour/date night in Altissa the night before they kill her off would have gone a long way to alleviating the lack of player investment in her character.

Sure, it sucks that we couldn't get the wedding going, but again, that's me consciously begging to give a shit but can't. They managed to have less chemistry than Cloud and Aerith! Or Squall and Rinoa! That's genuinely impressive lol.
:O Take that back, you monster! Aerith and Cloud had great chemistry! Just not romantic. Aerith knew better than to step around Tifa's man. But yeah---Squall and Rinoa had the chemistry of a rock. Like....with another rock.

The strange thing about this game is: It was in development for over 10 years yet it feels like they actually had to throw everything together in 3 or less...
It feels like a game that could have been much better if they were able to wipe the bagge of the first 6 years and truly restart. Creatively and all. The specter of what the game originally was seems to have haunted development and bled from Versus to XV. They seem like they tried really hard to retain pieces, and it probably garbled things up more than anything. At least that my opinion and complete speculation on the matter. Might be miles off.

Birth by Sleep came out in the past ten years. I'm satisfied with that game proving he's not a complete hack.

The only game that I'd really call "hackish" anyways is DDD.

BBS, 3D, and III are games directed by Tai Yasue and developed by the talented people at SE's Osaka team. I find it sad they never get the credit they deserve for these games.

yaesir

Only one word is needed to fully summarize this entire game:

Inconsistent

Graphically, gameplay, story... its all inconsistent. There are good and bad points in all but its not like it ramps up, more like there are unexpected valleys in all of them.

The story kind of hurts though, because in the end it does seem cliched and it never once caught me off guard. It reflected in the gameplay even towards the end with the scary wannabe part where you could foresee every time a monster would attack you from the ground/corridor.

The game wanted to be many things, ended up not being great at much.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
I mean, my username is Sora, so yeah I'm a fan of Nomura's work, but let's be real.

The last thing Nomura showed of the project before he got kicked out was a fake trailer consisted of 80% CG with menus strapped on it, and 20% prototype environment running at 15FPS. We later discovered that even the prototype stuff was handled by the type-0 team.

The 'type 0 team' was folded into the FF15 team, they were not separate teams at that time. Furthermore, we saw plenty of real time run environment footage afterward. It was only that specific E3 trailer shown at Sony's conference that was prerecorded footage.

People have every right to call him a hack, he's the one who put himself in this position. And he didn't fully direct a game in more than 10 years in this point to prove otherwise. No need to get super worked up everytime someone mentions those fact. If Nomura's still good, he'll prove it himself in VII Remake.

BBS, 3D, and III are games directed by Tai Yasue and developed by the talented people at SE's Osaka team. I find it sad they never get the credit they deserve for these games.

Tai yasue worked with Nomura on all those games. Why is Nomura's name in the credits of all of them? He is co directing KH3 as well with Tai yasue.

When Nomura has worked on over 60 games in his entire history of game design, i think i have the right to call anyone who calls him a hack a crazy person. It doesn't matter what assumptions you make about the nature of a project or two, that makes no sense.

I would even defend Toriyama from the same charge, even if i don't think he is a particularly...inspired director, he has his own talents in other areas.

Just finished it. I really hated this game lol

City gets taken over. Let's go confirm that it actually happened. Party arrives and sees that it indeed fell. What's this? Oh, my phone is ringing. "Oh, you're alive!" Why didn't Noct, or any of the party members, just call their families and stuff? They're all from there, no? Then Noct is the only one "hurting" from the city falling.

Then he's reported dead and is roaming around the world and no one is saying "wait, you're alive?"

This is just a couple of many things inconsistent with the game that completely took me out.

Also, I still have no idea why they were letting Ardyn help them til the very end of the game. I get why Ardyn was helping them, but why were Noct and his bros accepting his help?

Also, did I miss something? Wtf happened to Aranea?

I'm glad people were able to enjoy the game, but I found it to be an absolute mess. I was killed by several bosses because my party members weren't in the fight lol. I'm just happy we're done with all the Nova Fabula whatever (yes, I know they took a lot of that stuff out).

Anyways, that platinum looks obtainable so I guess this'll be my podcast game for a bit

That scene was almost carried on the back of me being invested into Noct. When she died, I felt a little sad for him since he clearly cared about her, but otherwise, yeah. There's not much there for a player to latch onto with Luna. She's so poorly imagined, so poorly integrated and so poorly explained in the game.

It would have had more impact if we had more scenes of them together as kids. Wasn't there CGI awhile back of them as kids? or was that when it was still Versus rebranded into XV?

The strange thing about this game is: It was in development for over 10 years yet it feels like they actually had to throw everything together in 3 or less...

didn't they scrap nearly everything in 2012 or around that time when they were transitioning the Director role to Tabata?

Slater

Banned
It would have had more impact if we had more scenes of them together as kids. Wasn't there CGI awhile back of them as kids? or was that when it was still Versus rebranded into XV?

The CGI one was Stella after Nomura changed it from them meeting at the party to meeting as kids, which got carried over to Luna. But there were at least a couple of Luna and Noctis scenes as kids in Tabata Trailers that didn't make it into the game.

didn't they scrap nearly everything in 2012 or around that time when they were transitioning the Director role to Tabata?

They were scrapping stuff all throughout its history, big shit to. The iconic Noctis Stella showdown was already gone by like 2011

There were a few kid CGI scenes cut I think.

I still think that you kind of need some kind of current day context. The stuff of them as kids is cute I guess, but I want to know more about how they feel about each other now. I would have liked one bittersweet interaction of them now. Just something for me to latch onto.

Slater

Banned

I still think that you kind of need some kind of current day context. The stuff of them as kids is cute I guess, but I want to know more about how they feel about each other now. I would have liked one bittersweet interaction of them now. Just something for me to latch onto.

I was hoping Starlight Waltz was going to be used for a dance between them in Altissia. Perfect opportunity

kevin40

Neo Member
They would have to create an entire other game's worth of DLC to fix up the game's issues.

I don''t think a vast majority of it was them intentionally cutting things so much as not being able to implement it in a satisfactory manner before the deadline, and so just cut it.

Of course i said a vast majority, i do think the point in the story where Prompto is out of the party, Ignis gets blinded and such were clear cuts, so that they would have DLC content and be able to ship the base game on time.

So basically the game cut in half so it can be shipped on time. Wonderful.

The CGI one was Stella after Nomura changed it from them meeting at the party to meeting as kids, which got carried over to Luna. But there were at least a couple of Luna and Noctis scenes as kids in Tabata Trailers that didn't make it into the game.

Thanks, a lot of stuff even under Tabata didn't make it. Crunch time must have been something else.

Making Luna the female love interest who is just out of your reach was a mistake. I think they were thinking too hard on living up to their statements on her being a strong female character when they didn't even get that right.

the only part that I felt even slightly emotional was during the post credits campfire scene. I think that may actually be my favorite part of the game lol

The 'type 0 team' was folded into the FF15 team, they were not separate teams at that time. Furthermore, we saw plenty of real time run environment footage afterward. It was only that specific E3 trailer shown at Sony's conference that was prerecorded footage.

Tai yasue worked with Nomura on all those games. Why is Nomura's name in the credits of all of them? He is co directing KH3 as well with Tai yasue.

When Nomura has worked on over 60 games in his entire history of game design, i think i have the right to call anyone who calls him a hack a crazy person. It doesn't matter what assumptions you make about the nature of a project or two, that makes no sense.

I would even defend Toriyama from the same charge, even if i don't think he is a particularly...inspired director, he has his own talents in other areas.

I remember a Tabata interview in 2014 where he said that the first task he and his team were given when they joined the project was to create the prototype demonstrated in E3 2013, but maybe I'm misremembering something.

Tai Yasue said that Nomura's involvement in III's active development is a weekly (daily? can't remember) phone call. I mean, I'm pretty sure he's that draws the major lines and write the basic plot, but since the bulk of the actual development is happening in Osaka, miles away from him, I don't think BBS, DDD, or III proves his skills as a director or a project manager.

Yes, Nomura has worken on over a 60 SE game, he's a great artist, and a true visionary, but how good of a director he is at the moment? The last game he "fully" directed himself was KHII more than 10 years ago, and after the Versus mess, I think people have the right to question his abilities until he proves otherwise.

You talking about this when you say 'plenty of realtime footage'

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=60nWEuj2wAI

Because that was the only real-time footage of the game after E3 2013 and it wasn't until Jump Festa 2014 that we had another proper trailer of the game, but that was all under Tabata.

I remember a Tabata interview in 2014 where he said that the first task he and his team were given when they joined the project was to create the prototype demonstrated in E3 2013, but maybe I'm misremembering something.

Tai Yasue said that Nomura's involvement in III's active development is a weekly (daily? can't remember) phone call. I mean, I'm pretty sure he's that draws the major lines and write the basic plot, but since the bulk of the actual development is happening in Osaka, miles away from him, I don't think BBS, DDD, or III proves his skills as a director or a project manager.

Yes, Nomura has worken on over a 60 SE game, he's a great artist, and a true visionary, but how good of a director he is at the moment? The last game he "fully" directed himself was KHII more than 10 years ago, and after the Versus mess, I think people have the right to question his abilities until he proves otherwise.
I don't think that anyone can argue that Nomura is a visionary in the same league as Kojima or Ueda but he is also also exhibits the same characteristics as both, which is that his ambitions are sometimes far more than what is possible at that time. This results in a development time that often fails to hit the deadline set by company.

I am just curious to see what he will be able to achieve with FFVII: Remake because when it comes to KH3, I don't expect it to release before 2018 and this means that the game had a 5 year development cycle from announcement in 2013 to release in 2018.

This is incorrect. It was only after Tabata took over that everything about Stella was cut. Last we heard from Nomura, the party scene had been changed from real time to a full visual works CGI scene, i would have loved to see that.
Please stop trying to state facts without actually posting any evidence regards it. Stella was redesigned and it was clear a lot of the Visual Works era stuff was removed for her. That came directly from Nomura himself and here is the quote talking about all this in interview.

Finaland & FFDream: Why did you change Stella’s design and made her look so much younger. Is it because of story development or because you made a survey with the audience ?

Tetsuya Nomura: There is no specific reason behind hit, but we didn’t want to make her look younger, we just wanted to make her a little bit prettier. That’s all.

Finaland & FFDream: But in 2007 she was very nice ! She’s very nice and still pretty but she’s still a little younger.

Tetsuya Nomura: When I created Stella, back in 2007, I actually created something that is not my type of character, but obviously time has past since then, about six years now, and then she actually became something that I quite like now.

http://www.finaland.com/?rub=site&page=news&id=4865

The interview even talks about girls being playable and Nomura said it would be 'very difficult'

Finaland & FFDream: Thank you very much !

We’ve seen a lot of male characters with Noctis and his friends. Is there going to be girls as playable characters as well ?

Tetsuya Nomura: I can’t say anything specific now but it would be... quite difficult, to have a girl playable.

For all the shit that Tabata gets, Nomura just has a free pass.

Inuhanyou

They were scrapping stuff all throughout its history, big shit to. The iconic Noctis Stella showdown was already gone by like 2011

This is incorrect. It was only after Tabata took over that everything about Stella was cut. Last we heard from Nomura, the party scene had been changed from real time to a full visual works CGI scene, i would have loved to see that.

Inuhanyou

You talking about this when you say 'plenty of realtime footage'

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=60nWEuj2wAI

Because that was the only real-time footage of the game after E3 2013 and it wasn't until Jump Festa 2014 that we had another proper trailer of the game, but that was all under Tabata.

I don't think that anyone can argue that Nomura is a visionary in the same league as Kojima or Ueda but he is also also exhibits the same characteristics as both, which is that his ambitions are sometimes far more than what is possible at that time. This results in a development time that often fails to hit the deadline set by company.

I am just curious to see what he will be able to achieve with FFVII: Remake because when it comes to KH3, I don't expect it to release before 2018 and this means that the game had a 5 year development cycle from announcement in 2013 to release in 2018.

As long as it isn't cut to hell like FF15, i'll wait as long as it takes for them to properly make what they need to make. I understand games have gotten more complex and infinitely bigger, that's not really my issue. I only have an issue when i see clear development concerns.

Bioshock infinite concerned my throughout its development because of how quickly they changed basic concepts. FF15 was the same way.

And yes, that footage was what i was referring to. :p

Fair enough, we will see what he comes up with.

Slater

Banned

I didn't mean everything about Stella was cut,I meant the fight in the streets, which everyone remembers vividly was cut/changed massively after 2008 and we never saw a hint of it again. Stella herself and the Party where still obviously in.

Inuhanyou

I didn't mean everything about Stella was cut,I meant the fight in the streets, which everyone remembers vividly was cut/changed massively after 2008 and we never saw a hint of it again. Stella herself and the Party where still obviously in.

That seems like a claim with no actual evidence. How would you know if it was cut, massively changed or not, if Stella herself was in the game? Because we never saw footage of it?

I was hoping Starlight Waltz was going to be used for a dance between them in Altissia. Perfect opportunity
Oh my Lord, that would have been perfect.

Now I'm more sad we'll never see that :(
Making Luna the female love interest who is just out of your reach was a mistake. I think they were thinking too hard on living up to their statements on her being a strong female character when they didn't even get that right.
Agreed completely.

I don't even see how their plan for Luna could have ever resulted in a strong female character, or why her being strong necessitated not interacting with the party. Aranea is kick-ass and she joins. Iris is even a decent character and she joins.

Inuhanyou

For all the shit that Tabata gets, Nomura just has a free pass.

Um but what you posted literally has nothing to do with my post or even what i am talking about.

I said that poster literally had no evidence of the rivalry being cut between stella and noctis in 2011.

Why are you bringing up model redesigns in the jump to luminous engine and playable party members to me?

Generally speaking, i was always fine with all male party members as long as Stella was as represented in the narrative as a force equal to Noctis in the story, and we had no indication until she was cut that that had changed.

I had never expected Stella to join the party, atleast not until maybe the end of the game or something for the final battle.

Good thing that I tried to do some research and was reading the old post E3-2013 interviews of Nomura. They sure have a lot of shocking information that pretty much confirms where the project was headed at that time.

Eyes that see the light of expiring souls no longer being in the game

Finaland & FFDream: In the trailer we could briefly see Noctis with red eyes. Will the red eyes give him some sort of special power during the battles ?

Tetsuya Nomura: In the last promotion trailer, Noctis got red eyes because he got the ability of teleportation, so that’s why when he did that, his eyes got red. Actually Visual Works created the trailer back then in 2007.

When you actually play the game, you can’t really see and zoom in the face of the character anyway. And he moves very fast as well so... if the character’s face is actually seen in a zoomed-in on the screen, we probably could still make his eyes red but we haven’t decided whether we’re gonna need the red eyes or not.

No female party members

Finaland & FFDream: Thank you very much !

We’ve seen a lot of male characters with Noctis and his friends. Is there going to be girls as playable characters as well ?

Tetsuya Nomura: I can’t say anything specific now but it would be... quite difficult, to have a girl playable.

Game didn't had anything substantial. Didn't even decide on minigames.

Finaland & FFDream: The game looks very serious and fatalist. Have you planned to add some sort of fun moments or funny mini-games ?

Tetsuya Nomura: We are actually thinking to have some sort of fun elements in the game, but for the moment the priority is to create the main game itself. I will add or not add stuff like that depending on how the development of the main game goes , but yeah we are thinking about that.

Also Nomura himself states he sucks at project management. Now do people still need to defend his shitty project management?

Finaland & FFDream: Nomura-san, you work on a lot of project like Final Fantasy XV, the Kingdom Hearts Saga, The World Ends With You. How do you manage all the projects you have at the same time?

Tetsuya Nomura: Actually I am not very good at managing myself, especially at managing lots of different projects, but because of my staff and all the staffs are very very intelligent, very good and very capable I’m able to run all the different projects at the same time. And also the most important are the Co-Directors in each project, again they are very capable and skilled people, they are the people actually managing the actual everyday job on the ground. That’s why I’m here, they are supporting me all the time.

http://www.finaland.com/?rub=site&page=news&id=4865

Slater

Banned
That seems like a claim with no actual evidence. How would you know if it was cut, massively changed or not, if Stella herself was in the game? Because we never saw footage of it?

No no because as far as I remember, there were interviews talking about changes throughout the Versus years and up to XV and that was one of the things that was changed very early, along with Noct's outfit.

I thought it was talked about when they mentioned how Stella had been changed into a childhood friend rather then a first meeting at the party. Hmmm I know I've also seen it mentioned on Gaf to.

Agreed completely.

I don't even see how their plan for Luna could have ever resulted in a strong female character, or why her being strong necessitated not interacting with the party. Aranea is kick-ass and she joins. Iris is even a decent character and she joins.

Aranea is weird because we know she was meant to just be a mook under Nomura, and Tabata was the one who upgraded her to the role she got. Which means he should get all the credit for how well she turned out. But it also makes how bad Luna was handled stick out more, because Aranea and also Iris both prove that they at least had some capacity to handle female characters but it didn't translate to what should have been the most important one.

Inuhanyou

Good thing that I tried to do some research and was reading the old post E3-2013 interviews of Nomura. They sure have a lot of shocking information that pretty much confirms where the project was headed at that time.

Wat...but none of those quotes even say anything about what your claiming in bold. Just calm down a bit guy, you seem to be going all over the place getting yourself worked up.

It doesn't say anything about light of expiring souls being changed

no one was even talking about female party members

because they had not decided on specific minigames there was nothing substantial?

He sucks at his job because he's grateful for people to help him out?

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
That's a poor excuse.
Still something that I hope happens. The DLC has a chance to do some patchwork on this game.

TriAceJP

Did the entire party die before the final fight? I thought they were just knocked out but they were in the powerin' up Afterlife Noctis segment so I am not sure.

Wat...but none of those quotes even say anything about what your claiming in bold. Just calm down a bit guy, you seem to be going all over the place getting yourself worked up.

It doesn't say anything about light of expiring souls being changed

no one was even talking about female party members

because they had not decided on specific minigames there was nothing substantial?

He sucks at his job because he's grateful for people to help him out?
Just presenting what he said directly in front of you. Feel free to interpret it in your own way because it is clear to me.

Next time you try to bring up the history of the game, do present factual evidence that suggests otherwise.

Inuhanyou

Did the entire party die before the final fight? I thought they were just knocked out but they were in the powerin' up Afterlife Noctis segment so I am not sure.

yes. they were there, regis was there, luna showed up. THey all died.

No no because as far as I remember, there were interviews talking about changes throughout the Versus years and up to XV and that was one of the things that was changed very early, along with Noct's outfit.

I thought it was talked about when they mentioned how Stella had been changed into a childhood friend rather then a first meeting at the party. Hmmm I know I've also seen it mentioned on Gaf to.

There are no interviews about that. Noctis's outfit had changed because it was an early design and they were working out the details of the final outfit designs at the time, the outfits they have now were in by 2010.

THey never talked about a childhood friend angle either, even though we saw one added for 15 in the first trailer, it wasn't around for Versus.

They all died. Which is a bit silly if you use logic and think about the fact they could have just run. Or went inside with Noctis. One would have a hard time arguing with me they were holding the baddies off since Noctis had to go inside, go back to that hallway, take an elevator.....And I don't think those giants were fitting on the elevator.

Inuhanyou

Just presenting what he said directly in front of you. Feel free to interpret it in your own way because it is clear to me.

Next time you try to bring up the history of the game, do present factual evidence that suggests otherwise.

Again, i have no idea what your point is bringing up those quotes.. You just randomly brought them up as if it was a big 'gotcha' moment, but i was not talking about anything having to do with what you referenced in the first place.

I'm kind of confused on what your talking about..if you could clarify that would be great

Slater

Banned
yes. they were there, regis was there, luna showed up. THey all died.

There are no interviews about that. Noctis's outfit had changed because it was an early design and they were working out the details of the final outfit designs at the time, the outfits they have now were in by 2010.

THey never talked about a childhood friend angle either, even though we saw one added for 15 in the first trailer, it wasn't around for Versus.

hmmm, probably have to eat crow there. Coulda sworn too, ah well

Agreed completely.

That other guys reasoning was problematic on why there were no female party members and interactions. It's funny cause I recall the whole camping thing when you can camp with Iris at a rest stop.

Again, i have no idea what your point is bringing up those quotes.. You just randomly brought them up as if it was a big 'gotcha' moment, but i was not talking about anything having to do with what you referenced in the first place.

I'm kind of confused on what your talking about..if you could clarify that would be great
Stella was changed. The iconic fight between Noctis and Stella was the work of Visual Works who created the concept trailer. Nomura was not a fan of the 2007 version of Stella (the mature look) and changed and redesigned it all the way leading to 2013.

Moreover in the interview, it was pretty much stated that the vehicle that will be used for majority of the game is the car. He also explains the Leviathan battle in detail (Tornado, warping to debris) in this interview and exactly this is what we get in the game.

Nomura reiterates, “There’s a battle where Leviathan is causing a waterspout. There’s a scene that shows a fight inside the tornado while jumping between the debris of collapsed buildings. I believe that boss fights will feature such particular flashy situations.”

The gameplay was always going to focus on co-op based moves with team members, as seen in the same interview. Originally they went with auto weapon switching like Duscae demo but that was later changed.

“The starting point will have a sense of control that is similar to that of Kingdom Hearts’ ‘easy and refreshing action,’ so it won’t be difficult,” says Nomura. “Most of it will come pretty naturally to you. We’re currently testing out different operational methods with each hardware. Regarding allies, in addition to cooperative attacks, there will also be situational actions, which will be part of various scenarios in battles.”

There are a lot of aspects of the game that were already being redesigned and worked on after post E3. Going back and reading all the interview pretty much shows a game that was super early in development.

In case my point still wasn't clear, Versus XIII was scrapped long ago. It just irks me when anything from that era keeps being brought up again and again.

Slater

Banned
I will never understand people's fascination with Stella. A character we knew almost nothing about lol.

She looked really cool in that brief rival shot with Noctis in 2008, and people still REALLY like the party scene with the two of them. That's the jist of it.

Versus stuff in general is like that:

-Noctis fighting/warping medieval soliders with guns on the steps of the palace
-Noctis vs Stella
-The Party
-Regis and his Mafia guards with floating swords in a standoff with the Emperor and his gun
-Noctis slouching on the thrown

None of those scenes are very long or were even seen more then twice in 7 years and yet they endure incredibly well in peoples minds to this day. It's crazy just how strong the pull of Versus still is even when it had almost no substance beyond looking really gripping from the audience perspective. Even though we never learned anything substantial

Inuhanyou

I will never understand people's fascination with Stella. A character we knew almost nothing about lol.

If your asking seriously, people who liked stella as a concept generally liked what they saw of her personality, her supposed combat skill, but most importantly, her role in the story.

People just ate up the idea of her being an equal to the main character in the narrative, and in terms of importance regarding their shared experiences with Etro's light, while being on different sides of the conflict.

You don't usually get to see male and female characters as actual equals on opposite sides of a battle fighting each other in an emotional story that they both shape.

That is why many people saw Luna's concept as a downgrade even before the game was released. She seemed like a character destined to be a cheerleader for the main character with no agency of her on or role in the story beyond that role.

The final product essentially was even worse than even those concerns could have predicted, as she almost wasn't even a character in the manner she was portrayed, but a plot device to develop Noctis's own character.

Aranea is weird because we know she was meant to just be a mook under Nomura, and Tabata was the one who upgraded her to the role she got. Which means he should get all the credit for how well she turned out. But it also makes how bad Luna was handled stick out more, because Aranea and also Iris both prove that they at least had some capacity to handle female characters but it didn't translate to what should have been the most important one.
It's really odd that Tabata managed to have such a sassy, independent woman work perfectly in the confines of the story they told...and then they had Luna.
LMAO.

This editorializing. Amazing stuff.

10/10
I mean, people (me) latched onto Lily Bergamo, and we had even less of that. So I don't think the fascination with Stella is shocking or that hard to understand.

She had an ace character design, and was presented in a way that made her seem like she was going to be able to handle herself in combat and stand toe-to-toe against Noct. People compared her to Celes, a character from a fan-favorite game (VI). She was a cool, empowering idea I think.

SoulUnison

Banned
So after finishing the game, I think I finally feel what people were upset about after XIII.

For as twisted and convoluted at XIII's story was, I at least understood the goals and antagonists from beginning to end. The characters made some decisions that pissed me off, but at least those decisions made sense in the story's framework and led to something.

XV feels like things just happen semi-randomly and stuff is completely unearned. Why did Ardyn need to kill Luna in the first place? Why was it presented so unceremoniously? Why even "Luna?"
There was nothing in the game, thematic or otherwise, that necessitated changing her name. "Lunafreya" just felt like Tabata saying "This is mine now."

I honestly think XIII has a better world and overall plot than XV, but XV's open world and combat system blows the Paradigm Shift system out of the water. When you're just wandering the world doing hunts and bashing heads in with your bros it's on of the greatest games ever made, but whenever the story creeps in I just get a headache - and I have a pretty strong stomach for confusing fantasy bullshit.

The seams of where this was tied to the Fabula Nova Crystallis legend/mythos are so, SO obvious, too.
There were so many times in the story where the character would talk about "gods" and I'd be like "Oh, you mean fal'Cie" and "covenants" and I'd go "Oh, like a Focus?"
Zombie Ravus was obviously supposed to be a Cieth, and his battle was hilariously parallel to Cid Raine's fight in XIII.
"Hey, here's this guy that's supposed to be important but we couldn't really figure out where to put him in the narrative so here, kill a boss version of him in a random empty warehouse location."

Noctis and Stella were obviously two l'Cie being given directly opposinn Focuses despite being at least passingly friendly with each other beforehand.
Stella's original intention seems to have been given to Ardyn wholesale, what with the pink Power of Kings and the purposed "street showdown" in Insomnia.
Versus 13 always felt like it was going heavy into the "Star-Crossed Lovers" Shakespearean angle, with "stars" being a pervading theme of the game, but XV just give us some passing formalities and glues a lot of disjointed ideas together.
I don't even understand what the "sleeping" motif is supposed to be anymore, with Luna asleep in the game's logo and Notcis "joining" her in the ending. It all feels random and unearned.

Around Chapter 8/9 I started feeling like I had theories about what was happening to the world, and none of them even remotely panned out.
The world remained much, much less interesting than concepts I could come up with off the top of my head, and that's sad.
I thought maybe there was an Astral/God tied to the sun and a corresponding God tied to the moon, and the Sun God/Goddess was falling asleep/getting lazy and making the days shorter, or something.
Instead we get some random star disease and the six Astrals doing random things because...reasons.
Hell, at least Titan and Leviathan got a "trial." Rahmuh gets a fetch quest and Shiva gets handed to you in the most hurried cut scene ever made.

"Gentiana...It's you! You're the Glacian!" is now the line that will always come to mind when I think "there was supposed to be more here, but we ran out of time and money."

Inuhanyou

Stella was changed. The iconic fight between Noctis and Stella was the work of Visual Works who created the concept trailer. Nomura was not a fan of the 2007 version of Stella (the mature look) and changed and redesigned it all the way leading to 2013.

I'll only respond to this because the other stuff, i don't understand what your point is with bringing it up.

The entire point of Stella and Noctis was that they were on opposite sides and Stella was an equal in the narrative. Visual works created that CGI, but Nomura and Nojima both came up with the concept for that, or else it would not have been made.

How Nomura changed Stella from when we first saw her to 2013 is unknown outside of her model looking different, and so to claim anything more than that would be false claims.

I find it funny how you responding to me in this manner started because some guy said Stella and Noctis were not rivals by 2011, which i said was not proven by factual evidence, and then you bring up completely unrelated stuff.

Slater

Banned
It's really odd that Tabata managed to have such a sassy, independent woman work perfectly in the confines of the story they told...and then they had Luna.

Part of that is almost definitely caused by the fact that Luna clearly lost a bunch of her scenes in like the last year. Like I said before, Luna was probably always going to suffer,but I sincerely doubt that the ten minutes we got of her is what Tabata actually thought would be sufficient. His version clearly got gimped

Top Bottom