• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XV - Taipei Game Show 2015

Koozek

LeftImmediateButterfly.gif

YES.
From Skylanders to this - nice, XPEC!

Yeah but at least with this game we've seen how open world it is.

To be fair, some people didn't find the linearity to be the main problem with FFXIII.

I very much enjoyed my time with FFXIII, and I HATED the linearity. I even thought the story was only decent (and got flupping confusing at the end) and the characters were whatever. I liked Lightning ans Sazh though.

Anyway, yeah, we've already seen the openness, so I know that's not going to be a problem. The long as it feels like a super grand adventure like FF games normally do, then I'll be good.

My main concern is the battle system, although anything is better than old school turn based so i'm super glad they didn't go back to that.

I always wonder if and what they kept of those world assets.
I can't believe they scrapped it all with the rebranding.

Tabata said they scrapped all the old assests. They didn't keep anything that was built on the PS3. They started fresh on the PS4 and XBO.

With the MGR2 news, im inclined to believe this game wasn't at the show as well.

Sorry guys, all this new stuff is fake, made up by the lalilulelo, pack it up everyone.

D

Deleted member 20920

Unconfirmed Member
So, is this XV's main mini-game? A cat simulator?

It'll be a series of side quests where you enter locked houses and steal things as a cat. I'm expecting to see Cor, dog and cat, all sitting in the boot of the car waiting to be used as side quests avatars.

Trickster

Yeah but at least with this game we've seen how open world it is.

Sure. But that doesn't mean much if it's just a huge empty world, which so far the footage they've released of the open world areas look like.

I mean, I want the game to be amazing and live up to it's name. But these days I'm just so cynical when it comes to videogames and their hype and promises.

Well, I live in Europe :D

I think the game will release in Japan on december.

In 2015? yeeeah, good luck with that. 2016, maybe. Feel free to bookmark this post and quote it so I can eat crow If I'm wrong, I'll gladly do it.

daveo42

Banned
Really trying to pull in a lot of non-RPG players in with the animal sim portions aren't they...I really want more info on how this will be applied and used in gameplay outside of an exploration method. Finding hidden and rare items perhaps?

In case anyone is interested, pics say...

"Why don't we use the Cat Cam to take a look?"

"With the Cat Cam, we can go to areas that are usually inaccessible"

"which allows us to see views that we can't normally see"

Funny that they went through the trouble of adding collision data to that pipe for a demo... unless those cats are actually going to show up everywhere in that station during the final game.

Sure. But that doesn't mean much if it's just a huge empty world, which so far the footage they've released of the open world areas look like.

I mean, I want the game to be amazing and live up to it's name. But these days I'm just so cynical when it comes to videogames and their hype and promises.

I get that, but there's giant dinosaurs, mammoths and behemoths roaming the planes, as well as ponds for fishing, NPC's driving cars, abandoned shacks in the woods, caves below the earth full of imps.

Can't really judge until we get the demo but I'm content with what's in these open outdoor areas.

Zoe

These cats and dogs videos make me wonder whether Noctis and crew would get turned into cats and dogs (ala FF: 4 Warriors of Light) sometime in the story. I think it's time to bring back spells like Mini, Frog and Piggy.

Don't forget we have seen Frog Cam already.

Really trying to pull in a lot of non-RPG players in with the animal sim portions aren't they...I really want more info on how this will be applied and used in gameplay outside of an exploration method. Finding hidden and rare items perhaps?
They are just showing the environments, they've never mentioned this being in the final game, it's just for fun...

Gothos

Do we know if that cat/dog cam is something more than an easter egg? Will it be part of an actual gameplay?

Famassu

The only part that seems to be 100% done is the demo part.
In the world of game demos, that really isn't telling us anything about the state of the overall game. It's not all that unusual for the demo to be one of the few things that are completed of a game if the release isn't imminent. We already know they aren't showing the beginning of the game or stuff just beyond the demo area because they don't want to spoil the story yet. If they don't want to spoil the beginning, I assume there's a lot of other things further down in the game they want to spoil even less. Some other stuff might also be (almost) 100% done but they are just the kind of things that they don't want to show, some areas might be 60% done and others might still be only in their early phases of development. All we can say about this footage is that they seem to have a somewhat functioning train station (trains that actually move, objects you can interact with) that still needs to be populated with people and is missing textures, which doesn't necessarily mean they have nothing done on that front; AI programmers might have already created some behaviours for train station NPCs (which can just be applied to every train station), NPCs might have already been created for that particular city, textures aren't necessarily 0% done etc.

Oh, so it won't be in the game at all?

No, Tabata did the dog cam originally to show the town without any spoilery stuff apparently and then the studio they worked with that did the cat cam wanted to do it as a joke since they thought that dog cam was funny.

i really don't know what they are thinking by showing a non textured city with the fucking cat cam. are they going to show a wireframe of a city in development next?

take your time and show something more substantial at e3 or something...

KoopaTheCasual

i really don't know what they are thinking by showing a non textured city with the fucking cat cam. are they going to show a wireframe of a city in development next?

take your time and show something more substantial at e3 or something...
??? They've already done this, tho.

In the world of game demos, that really isn't telling us anything about the state of the overall game. It's not all that unusual for the demo to be one of the few things that are completed of a game if the release isn't imminent. We already know they aren't showing the beginning of the game or stuff just beyond the demo area because they don't want to spoil the story yet. If they don't want to spoil the beginning, I assume there's a lot of other things further down in the game they want to spoil even less. Some other stuff might also be (almost) 100% done but they are just the kind of things that they don't want to show, some areas might be 60% done and others might still be only in their early phases of development. All we can say about this footage is that they seem to have a somewhat functioning train station (trains that actually move, objects you can interact with) that still needs to be populated with people and is missing textures, which doesn't necessarily mean they have nothing done on that front; AI programmers might have already created some behaviours for train station NPCs (which can just be applied to every train station), NPCs might have already been created for that particular city, textures aren't necessarily 0% done etc.

I'm thinking Q1 2016, probably March and a worldwide release personally.

There are a lot of bad assumptions being thrown around in this thread. It's almost a joke.

Will FFXV save the console market in Japan? By itself it won't, but with other games it would be a major player and a big factor in the resurgence.

No, they didn't just start from scratch when they moved to next-gen. That's not how game development works. You take what's already there and knowing you have more power you make said models and textures more detailed. When you already have the base model for something you want you don't start from scratch again.

Apparently, if there's a blizzard spell going off and your on a moving train you are like Uncharted. Good to know. I'll take that as a compliment as Uncharted is known for great animations and great scenes and if it's being compared to that they're doing it right. (Making a note here that Final Fantasy has always had "set-piece" moments, but everyone likes to ignore that)

All games are works in progress until the day they go gold (or in some extreme cases well after release day). So saying the possibility the game won't come out this year because it's a WIP is silly. No AAA game starts their marketing when the game is 100% done. Will the game come out this year? Who knows. But saying it won't come out this year because it's a WIP is a pretty ridiculous statement to make.

Anyways....

The snow train looks cool. Looking forward to see how the rest of the sequence plays out. Also the Feb 5th ATR is supposed to have Type-0 HD's Final Trailer. So while the 5th will probably recap some of the stuff from Taipai, expect some new stuff to be discussed and shown.

raven777

Did you hear this during the presentation? Thank you for sharing. Is video manual what it sounds like? Showing off the various actions in the Duscae demo?

it says on the official site (Square Enix Presents). As for the video manual I don't know what it will be. I assume it's just showing basic controls and stuff through video format.

RaijinFY

I cannot wait to see how XV turns out, on the other hand I don't know how well SquareEnix can handle such a big project, considering the disastrous management of the previous 3 FF main line titles.
And this footage is still very rough, probably not gonna be a 2015 release.

You were expecting a 2015 release?

People are expecting a 2015 release???

Elios83

The more they show, the more apparent it becomes that this game is probably still far off.

It's a 2016 game.
I'd say the earliest possible release date is a year after Episode Duscae, so spring 2016.
Worst case end of 2016.
I don't see the game being pushed into 2017.

Philippo

Game is definitley a Fall 2016 title.
Best case scenario is if developement gets enormously speed up thanks to the new collaborations (like the one from Taipei) and all the recent hirings, then maybe, maybe it could be a Spring/Summer one.

There are a lot of bad assumptions being thrown around in this thread. It's almost a joke.[/QUOTE

Yeah Tabata and the team really have to clear out all the misinformation going around with this title, it's getting ridicolous.

QUOTE=PshycoNinja;150092444]Apparently, if there's a blizzard spell going off and your on a moving train you are like Uncharted. Good to know. I'll take that as a compliment as Uncharted is known for great animations and great scenes and if it's being compared to that they're doing it right. (Making a note here that Final Fantasy has always had "set-piece" moments, but everyone likes to ignore that)

This.
To me these set-pieces feels just like the awesome, natural evolution of what we started to get in FFVII. This is probably what they would have done f the hardware was there.
So i really can't get the complaints.

KoopaTheCasual

Game is definitley a Fall 2016 title.
Best case scenario is if developement gets enormously speed up thanks to the new collaborations (like the one from Taipei) and all the recent hirings, then maybe, maybe it could be a Spring/Summer one.

This.
To me these set-pieces feels just like the awesome, natural evolution of what we started to get in FFVII. This is probably what they would have done f the hardware was there.
So i really can't get the complaints.
Not even just FFVII, there's been set pieces as old as FF itself. If the storming of Figaro castle was remade today, people would still probably whine about it be "Uncharted" even though that's exactly what they were going for with the sprites.
I was definitely hoping for a 15 release, FF15 in 2015, just seems so right.
I think at one point that was the desired release window (for obvious marketing reasons), but they chose to release a really polished product, instead of just cashing in on promotions.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
You were expecting a 2015 release?

People are expecting a 2015 release???

Crazy people are!
It's 2016 for sure. And definitely not in the first half.

SE is just taking the same approach they did with Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn now where before launch they would share new in-development information on the rebuilding of the game every few months or so to let people know things were coming along. ARR still took two years to create from its original reannouncement. You can consider this year's TGS for XV as a similar situation if you want to look at timing and what a realistic expectation should be on a final launch date.

MilkBeard

I really like this scene, because it addresses an issue with previous RPGs: That your character wears summer clothes in every environment; in icy areas, lava areas, etc. without the slightest reaction.

It's refreshing to see the character animated so well as a reaction to the extreme cold.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Not even May? :(
Something about it just screams Fall 2016 since Jump Festa.

I don't even mind to be honest. They need to take the time to make sure the game is good after so long. Last thing we need is another rushed out, broken game to hit the market.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Besides, there will be plenty of other games to play between now and then. Best to enjoy those in the meantime while not worrying when the next fragment of XV news will come about. They have a schedule, they'll hopefully stick to it barring any unseen delays. Like Tabata said, the game is just further out than most people seem to think.

It is unfortunate FFXV will miss 2015 in Japan. Would be a good way to keep the sales momentum going. Will be the first MAJOR PS4 exclusive for Japan and would be a large reason for people to pick the console up during the holiday season over there. Would be a good way to lead into 2016 with KH3 and Last Guardian and Level 5's RPG ( maybe ) and such like that to work with.

Bousf

Besides, there will be plenty of other games to play between now and then. Best to enjoy those in the meantime while not worrying when the next fragment of XV news will come about. They have a schedule, they'll hopefully stick to it barring any unseen delays. Like Tabata said, the game is just further out than most people seem to think.
Yeah I agree both on the release stuff and on the busy year thing, we have enough to play to keep us entertained, they'd better take their time to polish it GOOD xD

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
It is unfortunate FFXV will miss 2015 in Japan. Would be a good way to keep the sales momentum going. Will be the first MAJOR PS4 exclusive for Japan and would be a large reason for people to pick the console up during the holiday season over there. Would be a good way to lead into 2016 with KH3 and Last Guardian and Level 5's RPG ( maybe ) and such like that to work with.

Metal Gear Solid 5 is out this year.

SPAW

I really like this scene, because it addresses an issue with previous RPGs: That your character wears summer clothes in every environment; in icy areas, lava areas, etc. without the slightest reaction.

It's refreshing to see the character animated so well as a reaction to the extreme cold.

The fantasy based on reality is really ingrained into all aspects of this game. really makes you think about how they are going to implement fire or poison spells like bio? Will we see skin burning of arms (ala bioshock) or skin decaying as a result of a really powerful bio spell? The possibilities are endless.

Metal Gear Solid 5 is out this year.

True but won't that also be on the PS3?

I know the PS4 version will be superior, but as some mention quite often, a game really needs to be purely exclusive to get people to go ... " alright alright, now I REALLY need to grab this console ". Over just dealing with what they already have and keeping that purchase thought tucked away in the back of their mind to get back to later.

The sales of the PS4 will be interesting with DQ Heroes.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
True but won't that also be on the PS3?

I know the PS4 version will be superior, but as some mention quite often, a game really needs to be purely exclusive to get people to go ... " alright alright, now I REALLY need to grab this console ".

It is but you can bet marketing will be focused on PS4 with a high chance of a bundle as well. It's all about perception, even for Japan.

Top Bottom