• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XV - Taipei Game Show 2015

It's a 2016 game.
I'd say the earliest possible release date is a year after Episode Duscae, so spring 2016.
Worst case end of 2016.
I don't see the game being pushed into 2017.

I'm betting Summer/Early Fall 2016 if they're targetting a WW release.

Looks good though. They're pretty deep in development; Tabata's cleaning up it seems. SE's recent resurgence has been interesting if nothing else.

Koozek

Here's a postmortem for the outsourcing in UNCHARTED 3 by Naughty Dog and XPEC.

Naughty Dog outsourced the game to XPEC, and XPEC seemingly developed the Yemen and the shipyard sections in the game. As you'd expect, communication between the two parties is a pretty big deal. They also explain how concept art communicated the vision of a project better than anything.

There's also a bunch more about Agile Development that they talk about which is pretty cool.

Oh, nice! Interesting - thanks for posting. They seem like a good fit for the job then.

AZUMIKE

Crazy people are!
It's 2016 for sure. And definitely not in the first half.

SE is just taking the same approach they did with Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn now where before launch they would share new in-development information on the rebuilding of the game every few months or so to let people know things were coming along. ARR still took two years to create from its original reannouncement. You can consider this year's TGS for XV as a similar situation if you want to look at timing and what a realistic expectation should be on a final launch date.

Kagari, how do you think the likely 2016 FFXV release will coincide with KH3's release?

Besides, there will be plenty of other games to play between now and then. Best to enjoy those in the meantime while not worrying when the next fragment of XV news will come about. They have a schedule, they'll hopefully stick to it barring any unseen delays. Like Tabata said, the game is just further out than most people seem to think.
That's exactly how I look at it. When new media comes out I just smile and nod then push it to the side. I simply won't allow myself to fall into the hype pool.

Cider

Damn, I know I keep saying this, but I still can't believe I'm living in a world where we get FFXV updates every 2 weeks or so.
Hot damn.
hype hype hype hype hype hype hype hype

Besides, there will be plenty of other games to play between now and then. Best to enjoy those in the meantime while not worrying when the next fragment of XV news will come about. They have a schedule, they'll hopefully stick to it barring any unseen delays. Like Tabata said, the game is just further out than most people seem to think.

You're not wrong, but deep down we want to feel that true new game feeling. No doubt you're the same, the kind of new title that gives you goosebumps from the moment you unbox it. Absolutely nothing that has come out so far has given me that. Very few games will. FFXV is one and...

Metal Gear Solid 5 is out this year.

is the other.

At this point I am straight anxious to clear 8 hours from my schedule, sit back, kick up the surround sound and get immersed in Bloodborne.

Giddy as fuck for that game. Prob the first game of the next gen that has me straight giddy like a kid again. I was hyped as hell for Destiny too surely, but Bloodborne man. Something special

i-Lo

Damn, I know I keep saying this, but I still can't believe I'm living in a world where we get FFXV updates every 2 weeks or so.
Hot damn.
hype hype hype hype hype hype hype hype

I am LTTP but is XV going some see some form episodic release every two years instead one whole after episode duscae?

I don't even mind to be honest. They need to take the time to make sure the game is good after so long. Last thing we need is another rushed out, broken game to hit the market.

Amen. At this stage, take every month needed to make this game a title that was worth the wait. I'd rather they take another half a decade than ship something less than this title needs to be.

Its really hard to believe that they wont make a sequel to this game, with all the work they put in it.
This is probably the most expensive mainline Final Fantasy Game right?

Or they reuse the assets of this game for ff16

time will tell

Exentryk

Its really hard to believe that they wont make a sequel to this game, with all the work they put in it.
This is probably the most expensive mainline Final Fantasy Game right?

Or they reuse the assets of this game for ff16

time will tell

Sequels to XV are definitely going to happen, whether you like it or not.

Koozek

I wonder if this is the point of no return for the franchise in that SE will never be able to go back to a non-open world design for future main-line entries.

I wonder if this is the point of no return for the franchise in that SE will never be able to go back to a non-open world design for future main-line entries.

After FFXIII? I bet you if we are able to enter someone's house in FFXV that house will not have a hallway...

Only half-kidding.

After FFXIII? I bet you if we are able to enter someone's house in FFXV that house will not have a hallway...

Only half-kidding.

Yeah SE kind of overreacts to criticism from what I've seen.

FFX had complaints about being linear, so this made FF12 extremely open to the point where some people found it aimless at times. (Or maybe that just had something to do with FF12 being initially designed as an MMO)

So because of the FF12 criticism, they do FFXIII. Then that got criticism for being too linear, and bam, they go back to making a super open FF game. Which sounds like a good thing to me, but I've never played FF12 so I don't know exactly how open that was to make it feel "aimless," and we don't know exactly how open FFXV will be yet.

Exentryk

XV is only showing the worlds like the 2D FFs, but in 3D. This is what FF always had.

i wouldnt have a problem with it. But didnt Tabata himself said that there wont be sequels?

Don't recall so, but link me the article if you find it.

Koozek

I actually think the sequels idea is dead.
Honestly I wouldn't mind one. But maybe a year after FFXVI, so that we get something completely fresh first.

They wouldn't even have to create a ton of new assets like for FFXIII-2 or LR. Basically just have a new story set in the same world, like Tales of Xillia 2 or, well, FFX-2 (though that one still had mostly new assets).

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Do you think it's just for this one considering the development time? Or that it's finally going back to the new experience each time ideal.

I think people were burned pretty badly by the XIII sequels and SE is trying to distance themselves from falling into that sort of situation again.

Famassu

i wouldnt have a problem with it. But didnt Tabata himself said that there wont be sequels?
No, just that they are focusing on finishing FFXV. Nomura seemed to have ideas for future stories which he has probably discussed about with Tabata, but all in all FFXV-1 is supposed to have a self-contained story with no cliffhangers. So probably either Noctis gets the crystal back or it gets destroyed or some other solution is reached, but some third party won't come out and steal it in front of Noctis after the final battle of the game with a "To be continued..." before the credits. Not to say something that happens in FFXV couldn't be a major plot point of a possible sequel (i.e. crystal gets destroyed -> FFXV-2 will be about a world coping to live without any crystals while some new threat arises), but yeah, it's not build as a trilogy or anything, but more as a world that does have room & some rought ideas for more stories if FFXV isn't a huge flop.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Lol if you really think so.

I do. Tabata said in an interview that the idea of "episodes" was no longer a thing. If you remember back in 2013 Nomura said the story was too big for one game and they were going to split it up. That seems not to be the case now.

FFX had complaints about being linear, so this made FF12 extremely open to the point where some people found it aimless at times. (Or maybe that just had something to do with FF12 being initially designed as an MMO)

So because of the FF12 criticism, they do FFXIII. Then that got criticism for being too linear, and bam, they go back to making a super open FF game. Which sounds like a good thing to me, but I've never played FF12 so I don't know exactly how open that was to make it feel "aimless," and we don't know exactly how open FFXV will be yet.

Honestly, I don't think FFXIII was intended to be so linear. Look at Toriyama's other games. He directed X-2, which was way less linear than FFX. FFXIII-2 and LR especially are both much less linear than XIII as well. With all the cut content from XIII due to technical issues in development, I think that was them just being unable to execute their vision, not reacting to criticism.

I think people were burned pretty badly by the XIII sequels and SE is trying to distance themselves from falling into that sort of situation again.

I think they'll probably just resort to milking through DLC. I've said this before, but if they do GTAIV style episodic content, I would find that significantly better than full blown sequels.

I do. Tabata said in an interview that the idea of "episodes" was no longer a thing. If you remember back in 2013 Nomura said the story was too big for one game and they were going to split it up. That seems not to be the case now.

Do you think then that they'll reuse the systems they developed for XV into future FF's to save on the cost?

maybe you mixed up with this one?

– When I spoke to Nomura previously, he had mentioned a plan to release FFXV in segments. Is that concept still progressing now?

Tabata: We do not currently plan on releasing in segments. As director that was something I was concerned with because I thought it was important to complete it as my own title.

http://gematsu.com/2014/09/dengeki-final-fantasy-xv-type-0-hd-tgs-2014-interview

wmlk

That very well could me a mistranslation. There was never any clarity whether the interviewer meant something regards to an episodic release or not.

FFXV won't be episodic, obviously.

Philippo

Does this mean they cut story elements from the game?
Or maybe the supposed sequels were to revolve around other lore bits and similar.

Go_Ly_Dow

Do you think then that they'll reuse the systems they developed for XV into future FF's to save on the cost?

No idea if they will or not but I hope they will.

The tech has demonstrated absolutely everything expected from the biggest games in the industry. It will definitely serve well for future FF titles, much much better than XIII's tech.

Maybe they will recycle the worldmap too like they did with PS1 era FF's to seriously cut out dev time for each title.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Does this mean they cut story elements from the game?
Or maybe the supposed sequels were to revolve around other lore bits and similar.

No one really knows at this point, although Nomura did say XV was supposed to be its own contained thing but he wanted to make it a huge Epic.

Nomura says the game has become absolutely huge and as a result he is considering a compilation similar to that of Final Fantasy VII. Given the game’s seven year wait, however, he doesn’t want to keep fans waiting long between potential entries. He says the story in FFXV will reach a climax, but it is like the conclusion of a single part of a larger epic poem. There will be room for more stories to be told – so don’t be surprised if a FFXV-2 shows up at some point.

Nomura is aware that for large scale console development projects, there might be a need to keep people interested in the long term with online elements (multiplayer) rather than just offer a short term single player experience. There are no concrete plans as of yet but he’s looking at all possibilities to see what fits.

Exentryk

You don't have to read interviews to work out whether sequels are happening or not. Sequels are just the name of the game with these big console projects. Nomura mentioned this too:

Says Nomura: “In the trailer, there was a line that read “A World of the Versus Epic,” which suggests that it will be part of an epic. While Final Fantasy XV will have one climax, as a story, we plan to continue it further.”

This, Nomura says, would make it easier for him and the rest of the team to develop freely without having to worry about the story and contents fitting into just one game.

That said, if Final Fantasy XV is to become a continuous series, players may expect subsequent games to be released in a shorter span, similar to the Final Fantasy XIII series. Famitsu asks Nomura to weigh in on the subject.

“As for as how it will be released, we’ll announce that later on; however, having you wait a long while for a next title isn’t something we would desire…” Nomura replies. “Also, we’ve been exploring online compatibilities ever since the shift towards the next-generation hardware was decided.”

But like I said, you don't even need to read the interviews. Business wise, sequels are definitely happening. The assets are going to get reused one way or another, and they make the most sense in sequels.

To be fair, SE is not the only one overreacting to FFXIII...

Honestly, I don't think FFXIII was intended to be so linear. Look at Toriyama's other games. He directed X-2, which was way less linear than FFX. FFXIII-2 and LR especially are both much less linear than XIII as well. With all the cut content from XIII due to technical issues in development, I think that was them just being unable to execute their vision, not reacting to criticism.
May also have to do with the fact that Crystal Tools shits itself when it's not doing closed quarters...

Anyway, there are plenty of ways to reuse assets that don't involve sequels to the game.

New IP set in a similar setting, or with a similar battle system. A FFXV game that is not necessarily a sequel. That kind of stuff.

Koozek

That very well could me a mistranslation. There was never any clarity whether the interviewer meant something regards to an episodic release or not.

FFXV won't be episodic, obviously.

Well, we have Episode Duscae.
:p

Famassu

There's a reason for that and that's because Toriyama went off the deep end with the sequels in so many ways. The games went from a small ensemble cast with an interesting premise to two-person party with time travel & paradoxes pulled out of Toriyama's ass to Lightning Jesus saving the world where time stands still (but kind of doesn't). Like... you could not have invented more crazy fan fiction no matter how hard you tried than what the official storyline turned out to be. If you had asked what FFXIII-2 would be after FFXIII's ending, I'd have thought it would be about the exploration of Pulse and them confronting some ancient evil that would endanger their attempts of a life in this harsh new world. With FFXV I get the sense that it's more like they have created an actual world that can fit more than one game with different cultures that interact with each other and have histories (& futures) together. It has potential more like Ogre Battles than whatever the clusterfuck that the story progression in LT was. And I think stuff like that could make people more interested in sequels.

I don't think sequels are necessarily a given, but they've likely had some planning sessions for what they could do with FFXV-2 if XV is a critical & commercial success. They'll probably not hamfist FFXV-2 & Prompto Returns down our throats if FFXV is as badly received as FFXIII or its sequels, but they'll definitely take advantage of its success if that's going to happen. They do learn, sometimes. They can do sequels while avoiding the pitfalls of Lightning Trilogy.

Son Of D

Random thoughts, December 2016 for Japan and March 2017 for everywhere else.

As for KH3, late 2017 in Japan at the earliest. That game seems very early still.

Exentryk

Sequels aren't inherently bad. If you plan for them from the start (like the case is with XV), the stories in sequels don't have to jump through hoops to work (Paradox, Chaos etc like XIII's case).

The only thing that can help with this is releasing the next mainline entry within 2 years of the previous mainline entry. This addresses the issue of giving a new world and characters to the people who do not like the world or characters of previous mainline entry.
Unfortunately though, I don't think Square Enix can manage releasing numbered FFs for consoles within 2 years of each other and continue it.

HeelPower

FFXV-2 might already be in pre-production as we speak.

Simultaneous development of both projects could already be underway and that's the only way SE can release the sequel in a reasonable time frame.

FFXV-2 could come a year to a year and a half after the first one.That's the only way SE can catch up to the current market and keep the momentum going.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Sequels aren't inherently bad. If you plan for them from the start (like the case is with XV), the stories in sequels don't have to jump through hoops to work (Paradox, Chaos etc like XIII's case).

The only thing that can help with this is releasing the next mainline entry within 2 years of the previous mainline entry. This addresses the issue of giving a new world and characters to the people who do not like the world or characters of previous mainline entry.
Unfortunately though, I don't think Square Enix can manage releasing numbered FFs for consoles within 2 years of each other and continue it.

SE is notoriously bad with sequels though. I'd rather they just move on.

Dark_castle

It's a shame that XIII-2 and even LR were being tied to XIII, becoming a trilogy. Because individually, they are actually pretty decent games with some cool idea gameplay wise. Had they gone extra miles and written a new story and characters from ground up, Lightning Returns could have been a new IP.

Top Bottom