• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XV - Taipei Game Show 2015

SE is notoriously bad with sequels though. I'd rather they just move on.

Well neither X-2 nor XIII-2/LR were actually originally planned sequels. They were tacked on after the fact. If they actually plan FFXV with sequels in mind, it won't be nearly as awful as it was with sequels that were obviously added after the fact in the search for more money.

Does this mean they cut story elements from the game?
Or maybe the supposed sequels were to revolve around other lore bits and similar.

I thought Nomura meant he thinks there's more that can be said or done with the world/characters of XV, which could lead to sequels rather than that he wanted to split it up, but I'm probably wrong.

I thought Nomura meant he thinks there's more that can be said or done with the world/characters of XV, which could lead to sequels rather than that he wanted to split it up, but I'm probably wrong.

What if Nomura created his own Ivalice? And that's why he never moved the development forward? =O

I'm kidding, but yeah, a sequel using the same world is better than trying to continue the story of the past game (it's what XIII-2 and LR should have done imo).

Falk

that puzzling face
Part of me really still wishes that there was a direct sequel to XIII - Basically it's a civilization set loose on an unfamiliar world, one that is full of relics of a lost civilization and that they previously thought was hell itself.

You kinda saw glimpses of that in XIII-2, but either 1) only a village and an excavation site a couple dozen years later, or 2) centuries in the future.

It's the whole 'new frontier' thing that hooks me in RPGs, really. That's why Grandia was so brilliant, despite having such a simple story at its core.

Part of me really still wishes that there was a direct sequel to XIII - Basically it's a civilization set loose on an unfamiliar world, one that is full of relics of a lost civilization and that they previously thought was hell itself.

You kinda saw glimpses of that in XIII-2, but either 1) only a village and an excavation site a couple dozen years later, or 2) centuries in the future.

It's the whole 'new frontier' thing that hooks me in RPGs, really. That's why Grandia was so brilliant, despite having such a simple story at its core.

XIII had one of the best FF settings. If they made the story of XIII-2 focus more on the lore and world of Gran Pulse, that would've been amazing. And LR could be a "thousands of years into the future/past" kind of thing and they would explain how stuff started and whatnot. I would've loved to see that.

So... is there actually a reason for Dog/Cat cam? like, can you use it in the main game as a sort of minigame to explore the environments and collect items for noctis and the crew?

Or is it just Tabata fucking with us to show off the environments?

Dark_castle

Grandia did one thing better than 99% JRPG out there, that is the greatest sense of adventure. Hell I loved the game and I can't even tell what the whole plot is about. Hopefully FFXV could replicate some of that feeling, with the whole road trip, BBQ, meal at hotel, camping, exploring busy towns and sight seeing.

Servbot24

Banned
So... is there actually a reason for Dog/Cat cam? like, can you use it in the main game as a sort of minigame to explore the environments and collect items for noctis and the crew?

It's just a fun way to show the environment.

He's just showing the environments.

This video was made by XPEC even (from Taiwan) because they liked the dog cam.

Falk

that puzzling face
Grandia did one thing better than 99% JRPG out there, that is the greatest sense of adventure. Hell I loved the game and I can't even tell what the whole plot is about. Hopefully FFXV could replicate some of that feeling, with the whole road trip, BBQ, meal at hotel, camping, exploring busy towns and sight seeing.

Hopefully. But Grandia's sense of adventure was pushing past where no one had ever gone before. End of the World captures this the most.
Entire climb before that (lol), everyone getting tired and pissy, and then finally seeing that "holy shit it's NOT the end of the world".

I don't see any RPG really doing this unless striking out into the unknown is the whole concept from the beginning.

Even Tales games, where a visit to the 'other world' is a trope unto itself, doesn't really capture what made Grandia so good.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
LeftImmediateButterfly.gif
Hot damn... cold damn rather.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
This is not dictating the game though. It's something that's already done. It would change literally nothing on the game itself.

Yes, probably with the same footage from here though.

A small group of fans "shouting" for something nonsensical to be added to the game even though it was never planned is dictating should they decide to put it in. I hope they don't.

A small group of fans "shouting" for something nonsensical to be added to the game even though it was never planned is dictating should they decide to put it in. I hope they don't.

Regardless, I don't see how putting that in wouldn't do anything but add to the game? I think it'd be a cool little side feature to have.

The guy in the trunk :p
I was talking about the guy in the comments, but sure =X

Also, totally forgot how awesome that gif looks.

This is not a part of the game itself though. Shouting for something would be if we shouted at them to include playable party members, or to change the battle system, or to add x minigame. This one is just a joke...

Exentryk

I don't mind either way if they add it in or not. It'll be more work if they add it in though as they'll have to make sure every nook and cranny looks and works well.

Yeah, I know. I was trying to dodge the question, and looks like it worked :p

Kagari

Crystal Bearer

Also, totally forgot how awesome that gif looks.

This is not a part of the game itself though. Shouting for something would be if we shouted at them to include playable party members, or to change the battle system, or to add x minigame. This one is just a joke...

I fear what will happen with the demo.

Dark_castle

Still, it wouldn't hurt to have these as some sort of secrets/side-quests. Remember that Final Fantasy used to have spells that morph the characters, mostly used to get by certain obstacles in dungeon. And one of my favorite implementation of animal control came from Chrono Cross, in the SS Zelbess bit. So good.

Would love a tiny section for some kind of animal cam, like playing as Munchie in DQ8.

When I first saw the dog cam and with the cat cam hit me head center, all I could think of is Chrono Cross. I might not want a direct control of animals in this game, but it would be fuckin' AWESOME if they did something like that(work it into the actual story) in a future game. That's old school RPG shit that you don't see all to much anymore.

Still, it wouldn't hurt to have these as some sort of secrets/side-quests. Remember that Final Fantasy used to have spells that morph the characters, mostly used to get by certain obstacles in dungeon. And one of my favorite implementation of animal control came from Chrono Cross, in the SS Zelbess bit. So good.

FFIII, in particular, where you had to transform into toads and mini-form to enter various dungeons. Love that kind of thing!

The twist here is Shiva is at the end of that train, blasting them away. You have to summon Ifrit to walk next to you to keep warm as you make your way up the frozen, cracking and crumbling train slowly headed off the cliff

Continuous potions needed for your companions who can not get warmed by Ifrit

Amirite??

If XV is received well they will do sequels to get as much money out of it as possible. Though it would be cool if they instead took the team directly onto a new numbered entry using the same engine and some of the same assets to get it out quicker.

As a side thought, Square had to be working on a game meant to be Final Fantasy XV before Versus became XV, right? If so I wonder what the chances are that that game is still alive and if we'll see it shortly(ish) after XV as XVI.

KoopaTheCasual

I doubt FFXV-2 is ever going to happen, especially with Tabata being against the idea. However I do think what happened to FFVII, could definitely happen to FFXV. Tons of spin-offs of side characters and prequel-esque material.

That's where we'll see tons of asset reuse. And judging by how amazing this game looks, I really don't mind.

Yeah, I know. I was trying to dodge the question, and looks like it worked :p
Ah, so it was you! You are the trunk-- I mean, Cor.

I fear what will happen with the demo.
Well, THEN we ask for them to not listen to the fans. But it's not like a joke such as the cat cam would transform XV into XIII-2 (also, XIII-2 is not the only time SE took feedback, so it's not automatically bad if they take some)...

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Ah, so it was you! You are the trunk-- I mean, Cor.

Well, THEN we ask for them to not listen to the fans. But it's not like a joke such as the cat cam would transform XV into XIII-2 (also, XIII-2 is not the only time SE took feedback, so it's not automatically bad if they take some)...

You can't pick and choose with them. Especially not when Tabata is reading Kotaku comments with Google Translate of all things. Good lord.

I am not sure exactly. I mean it is funny and cute, but I just don't see a need for it in the full game.

I think I kind of get you, because I sort of kind of feel that way too, but my feelings of "well what harm could it do? It's just a fun little side distraction that could only give me more to do" outweigh it :p

It'd be cool if they added hidden collectibles/items around the city that only the cats cats get to.

You can't pick and choose with them. Especially not when Tabata is reading Kotaku comments with Google Translate of all things. Good lord.

Better than passing them through PR filter, wouldn't you say?

We don't know how much feedback Tabata takes, for Type-0 HD he took all the right ones (camera, not losing the costumes and multiplayer stuff), he reads Kotaku, doesn't mean he implements stuff they say (and to be fair, they are not much different than the stuff you read on NeoGAF).

I think I kind of get you, because I sort of kind of feel that way too, but my feelings of "well what harm could it do? It's just a fun little side distraction that could only give me more to do" outweigh it :p

Yeah that is true. I mean as a nice little mini-game that would be cool, I just hope that's as far as it goes if it is implemented in the actual game.

On the sequel talk: I might be in the minority here, but I'd rather they plan out sequels while making the first game if only because there is a better chance that when they make a sequel, there is a better chance that the transition into the sequel isn't a cluster fuck like from XIII to XIII-2 and LR.

I could think of far worse things to incorporate than something that would probably amount to a harmless little easter egg.

I get not wanting them to waste time on fan feedback like that, but something like that seems relatively harmless, and I can't imagine that implementing it would intrude on the dev cycle for the game.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Better than passing them through PR filter, wouldn't you say?

We don't know how much feedback Tabata takes, for Type-0 HD he took all the right ones (camera, not losing the costumes and multiplayer stuff), he reads Kotaku, doesn't mean he implements stuff they say (and to be fair, they are not much different than the stuff you read on NeoGAF).

They already changed the demo away from the car stuff despite hyping it up quite a bit because of "feedback." I'm highly skeptical now.

They already changed the demo away from the car stuff despite hyping it up quite a bit because of "feedback." I'm highly skeptical now.

They changed the content of a demo, not the content of the game. I'm pretty sure they would get shit for the rest of the development cycle if they didn't include battles and just put driving.

It's not like everyone is Toriyama there...

Top Bottom