• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XV Taipei Game Show | January Active Time Report Thread

Famassu

Have you listened to SO3 or SO4's OST? Frankly I'm going to wait.

On the SMT track, the only comparable track from FF XV is Gratia Mundi (pending title). No not everything from FF XV is better...the day battle theme in Episode Duscae is far more dull for example.
Eh, I think the day battle theme envokes a sense of a grand adventure and has more variety than the SMT song you linked, very, VERY far from boring. That IV Final boss theme was just.. noice, not a fan at all. I'm not opposed to rock in game music (Falcom JRPGs have some bangin' rock themes), but if that boss theme was supposed to be some kind of proof of the game's music being on par FFXV's, then that failed, from my POV.

Yeah, I get the same feeling. Type-0 also had a lot of those infiltrate missions, and they were pretty crap. If the combat is fun however, then it'll be bearable at least.
The quality of the base infiltration in FFXV is clearly far, FAR above Type-0's level in every way, if they are all as fun looking as the one in this trailer. Really no sense in comparing the two. And really no reason to feel panic about some Ubisoft-level base capture side-quest fatigue. We don't even know if there are more than a few of these bases to infiltrate, let alone there being a tedium-causing number like 70 of them.

m4st4

Hey--

That was actually's Square's *idea* when working with us. Don't get me wrong, I don't HATE Final Fantasy, but I've never connected with it. Meanwhile, Tim loves it.

Their point with Final Fantasy XV is that it'll bring in both of us -- noobs and hardcore fans.

<3
Greg

I'm almost in the same camp as you, although I ADORE Final Fantasy VII, really interested to check out this game and play it as something new and hopefully 'fantastic'.

Soriku

That boss theme doesn't even hold a candle to SMT4's boss theme.

...Well I'm comparing it to FF XV not SMT IV. But I think both SMT IV's and Final's boss themes are really good so I disagree.

Eh, I think the day battle theme envokes a sense of a grand adventure and has more variety than the SMT song you linked, very, VERY far from boring. That IV Final boss theme was just.. noice, not a fan at all. I'm not opposed to rock in game music (Falcom JRPGs have some bangin' rock themes), but if that boss theme was supposed to be some kind of proof of the game's music being on par FFXV's, then that failed, from my POV.

I also like these two tracks from Final.

The overall SMT IV OST is amazing, so if Final's comes close (it sounds promising) I don't see FF XV beating it, even if XV sounds pretty good too (which it does; I already like several of the songs).

Ishida

Banned
Animations are just insane for this game. Perhaps the best I've ever seen in any video game, or up there among the ranks of Naughty Dog games. It's just a visual pleasure to see the characters move around and react to the environment and events.

Square has my admiration right now.

Thoraxes

...Well I'm comparing it to FF XV not SMT IV. But I think both SMT IV's and Final's boss themes are really good so I disagree.

The overall SMT IV OST is amazing, so if Final's comes close (it sounds promising) I don't see FF XV beating it, even if XV sounds pretty good too (which it does; I already like several of the songs).

It's still one of my favorites. Can't wait for the IV FINAL's OST to hit in a few weeks too!

Soriku

Animations are just insane for this game. Perhaps the best I've ever seen in any video game, or up there among the ranks of Naughty Dog games. It's just a visual pleasure to see the characters move around and react to the environment and events.

Now if only they could showcase more cutscenes.

It's still one of my favorites. Can't wait for the IV FINAL's OST to hit in a few weeks too!

Oh shit I forgot it comes out soon.

SE always prove themselves when it comes to technical for FF. Past of FF games had outstanding technical, sure XIII is a mess and Luminous is not different either but no doubt XIII is one of the most beautiful games last gen.

Famassu

Well, those two are much better. Still don't think they are so exceptionally awesome Shimomura can't compete with it at all. I like many of the songs for FFXV better already and I'm sure we've only heard, like, 1/20th of the whole OST & mostly just some basic battle themes so far, so there's probably a lot of great stuff still in store (which is exciting considering how grandiose & exciting a lot of the music we've heard has already been), especially some special event tracks & late-game epicness, the Dancing Mads, Battle For Freedoms & (FFXII) Clash on the Big Bridges of the game.

SE always prove themselves when it comes to technical for FF. Past of FF games had outstanding technical, sure XIII is a mess and Luminous is not different either but no doubt XIII is one of the most beautiful games last gen.
Luminous is a vast improvement over Crystal Tools. Sure, you can argue that it's dumb to create en engine of your own and obviously there's been some bumps on the road for Luminous as well, but they really aren't equally crap. Crystal Tools severely limited anything they could do with their games. Luminous at least allows them to realize their big, ambitious FFXV dream and gives far better results than Crystal Tools ever could.

Luminous is a vast improvement over Crystal Tools. Sure, you can argue that it's dumb to create en engine of your own and obviously there's been some bumps on the road for Luminous as well, but they really aren't equally crap. Crystal Tools severely limited anything they could do with their games. Luminous at least allows them to realize their big, ambitious FFXV dream and gives far better results than Crystal Tools ever could.

I know and I wasn't saying Luminous was shit. It's just that their engine development process wasn't smooth though, something that I expected them learnt from Crystal Tools mistakes ;)

Pachimari

I'm trying to catch up on all of the info, so what new info did we get during this ATR? Is the archived version subtitled in English?

- Niflheim Base Infiltration video
- Villain names
- Magic
- Stealth
- Mechs
- Turrets

I'm trying to catch up on all of the info, so what new info did we get during this ATR? Is the archived version subtitled in English?

- Niflheim Base Infiltration video
- Villain names
- Magic
- Stealth
- Mechs
- Turrets

- Fourth Combo giving commands to your party
- Noctis can't no longer hijack/ride mechs
- Combat looking goat

theofficefan99

Don't forget Shin Megami Tensei IV: Final or even Star Ocean 5.

Actually I really doubt FF XV touches either of the Megaten games, even if the OST will still be good. Yoko is good but not Atlus-level good...

Also wondering how KH3's (probably 2017) OST stacks up to FF XV.

I'm sorry but I'm not a fan of any Atlus soundtracks :/ I didn't even like the final boss theme for Persona 3, which everyone was raving about. I think from all the potential competition, even NieR, FFXV is the easy winner. At least in my eyes.

Can anybody actually follow Tabata's description of how elemental magic works? It sounds like you get resources to craft spells out of the environment, but the explanation raises so many more questions than it answers. You equip the spells like weapons. Are the spells consumable? Do you use it and then it's gone? In the video it didn't look like it was used up as it stayed on Noctis' weapon bar and there was no indication of a number available, but... Hm. I'm thoroughly confused and I desperately want to know more about the system.

Well it looks decent enough, I guess. Still not hyped though and I prefer to keep it that way until it releases. Less chance of disappointment that way.

Famassu

Can anybody actually follow Tabata's description of how elemental magic works? It sounds like you get resources to craft spells out of the environment, but the explanation raises so many more questions than it answers. You equip the spells like weapons. Are the spells consumable? Do you use it and then it's gone? In the video it didn't look like it was used up as it stayed on Noctis' weapon bar and there was no indication of a number available, but... Hm. I'm thoroughly confused and I desperately want to know more about the system.
To me, it sounds like maybe the world has these points in them where you can "draw" elements a bit like in FFVIII (only from hotspots in environments, not enemies) and you have limited usage of them until you draw some more.

Ochibi

Boss&#9733;Moogle;193801169 said:
Sorry but as far as JRPGs go I think graphics aren't that important. Games like FFVI and Chrono Trigger can still be enjoyed today by a new generation of gamers that didn't grow up on 2D games and to whom such graphics look primitive.

I doubt that. My girlfriend can't play those games because of this. I know plenty of friends who can't play those games because of graphics. Of course, it's not the entire world but new generation of gamers are playing so much action based game, so it would be hard to go to turn based after that.

Futurematic

I haven't decided if I want this game, but at least I'm interested. So good work SE, even if it has taken a while to right the ship.

I doubt that. My girlfriend can't play those games because of this. I know plenty of friends who can't play those games because of graphics.

You meant won't, not can't. Which is a pity, but perhaps when your friends hit college or adulthood they'll learn to appreciate older games. There's an amazing and rich history just waiting for them :)!

Ceravic

I couldn't watch it live so I just got done watching it. Jesus fucking Christ did they deliver. I'm so fucking hyped I've devolved into a fucking fucker who can't go a whole sentence without using the word fuck in it. FUCK.

Only really one gif sums me up right now:

DYRRdAM.gif

raven777

I am happy that they delivered with this ATR.

I have been very skeptical of FFXV, Tabata and ATRs. Gamescom made me hate ATRs and how FFXV team have been marketing the game.

But today's ATR was great. This was the sort of stuff I wanted ATRs to be: concise, but good important information, tons of new game footage, interesting stuff on development of the game.

I also liked what I saw in the combat gameplay. It looked a lot better than Duscae crap. Really happy to see that they finally put proper air combat, although I would have to play it myself to see how it actually feels.

So overall it was great and I am excited for March event.

DNAbro

I don't understand what people hear in SMTIV's soundtrack. I think it's by far one of the weakest OST's in any Atlus game. I actively dislike most of the battle themes. Pretty much anything from FFXV has blown it out of the water.

BumRush

As much as I want this game and loved the ATR, a named event to announce the price and release date of a game that's been delayed ~7 years? Come the fuck on SE.

As much as I want this game and loved the ATR, a named event to announce the price and release date of a game that's been delayed ~7 years? Come the fuck on SE.

The event isn't just for the release date and price... They said they are going to have plenty of announcements.

Ochibi

You meant won't, not can't. Which is a pity, but perhaps when your friends hit college or adulthood they'll learn to appreciate older games. There's an amazing and rich history just waiting for them :)!

Ups, yes that what I meant haha. (English isn't my mother tongue :p)

That"s what I said about amazing, rich story, beautiful lore etc. It will be hard for them to get used with these graphics. I know they've tried, but still...

To me, it sounds like maybe the world has these points in them where you can "draw" elements a bit like in FFVIII (only from hotspots in environments, not enemies) and you have limited usage of them until you draw some more.

That's what it sounded like to me too. Assuming royal ring magic will work differently though, limited by mp, or charged through battle or whatever.

There's a huuuuuge difference between a named event for a game reveal and a named event for a game delayed this long.

They said after this event the marketing is changing to be mass market, this event is basically the launch of the marketing leading up to release. And again, they said they have multiple things to announce anyways.

BumRush

They said after this event the marketing is changing to be mass market, this event is basically the launch of the build up to launch. And again, they said they have multiple things to announce anyways.

I can't be the only person that finds this whole thing strange but there's no sense in us just going back and forth about the need for naming the event.

Great footage today, FF15 is looking so good finally.

There's a huuuuuge difference between a named event for a game reveal and a named event for a game delayed this long.

There is.

But this is Square's flagship global IP, and regardless of its troubled development, it makes some measure of sense that Square wants to adds gold trimmings and roses to what they feel is the kickstart of the FFXV's marketing campaign, however pointless it is in the grand scheme of things.

There's clearly many things about FFXV that Square wishes didn't turn out this way, but alas, shit happens.

I can't be the only person that finds this whole thing strange but there's no sense in us just going back and forth about the need for naming the event.

Great footage today, FF15 is looking so good finally.

If anything, having it be "named" and "different" is probably the most sensible thing about it.

They want to emphasis that this March event is not just another ATR. Tabata got burned bad by implying last year that Gamescom was going to be the special sauce that kickstarts FFXV to high gear, when it actually wasn't.

By having a host, etc, they want to sell this event as the big whopper.

There is.

But this is Square's flagship global IP, and regardless of its troubled development, it makes some measure of sense that Square wants to adds gold trimmings and roses to what they feel is the kickstart of the FFXV's marketing campaign, however pointless it is in the grand scheme of things.

There's clearly many things about FFXV that Square wishes didn't turn out this way, but alas, shit happens.

If anything, having it be "named" and "different" is probably the most sensible thing about it.

They want to emphasis that this March event is not just another ATR. Tabata got burned bad by implying last year that Gamescom was going to be the special sauce that kickstarts FFXV to high gear, when it actually wasn't.

By having a host, etc, they want to sell this event as the big whopper.

My view on it too. I think in the home stretch they just have to turn the page on development hell, and go all in with marketing the game like it only started development in 2012. GAF has been obsessing about Versus for a decade, but lots of folks haven't kept track.

Does it create some weird cognitive dissonance for long time,fans? Sure, but what are you going to do?

squall211

I don't understand what people hear in SMTIV's soundtrack. I think it's by far one of the weakest OST's in any Atlus game. I actively dislike most of the battle themes. Pretty much anything from FFXV has blown it out of the water.

I'm with you. I just didn't "get" that OST. It's just one of those soundtracks that's lost on me I guess.

On topic though, HYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYPE for FFXV my God.

BumRush

Does it create some weird cognitive dissonance for long time,fans? Sure, but what are you going to do?

I agree with you guys and understand the marketing reason for doing it. You said my only point better than I've been saying it.

Anyway, I know the event isn't for "us" but rather to excite the gaming public...just feels off to me and a bit of a slap in the face after following this game so closely for 10 years. In the end, I'm just excited to play the game this year, so whatever they have to do...

I agree with you guys and understand the marketing reason for doing it. You said my only point better than I've been saying it.

Anyway, I know the event isn't for "us" but rather to excite the gaming public...just feels off to me and a bit of a slap in the face after following this game so closely for 10 years. In the end, I'm just excited to play the game this year, so whatever they have to do...

It feels like a slap in the face to know that the release date is getting announced?

Yeah, I totally get it.

I think I'm somewhat forgiving because I'm in research. When you get a big paper released, you go into high gear, do a press release, the science media junket, email it to everyone in the field who might care, and act like everything you did was clear and purposeful and led inexorably to your main findings, But most science projects involve stumbling and delays and uncertainty (probably even more so than game development). A recent paper I had at a top journal was the product of 7 years work. Colleagues may have seen you present papers on parts of the work at various conferences, but none of it counts until the paper comes out. It's like a reset almost. You'll go on NPR or something and next day someone emails you and is all like "was that the wacky project you were working on when we were in grad school?" It can be awkward, but it's the name of the game.

Anyway, if FF XV delivers, we can finally leave this dark night of marketing confusion behind.

BumRush

It feels like a slap in the face to know that the release date is getting announced?

Yes. It feels like a bit of a slap in the face that a 7 year delayed game has to get a 2 month out named event to announce the release date. Not sure why that's so confusing to you.

Yeah, I totally get it.

I think I'm somewhat forgiving because I'm in research. When you get a big paper released, you go into high gear, do a press release, the science media junket, email it to everyone in the field who might care, and act like everything you did was clear and purposeful and led inexorably to your main findings, But most science projects involve stumbling and delays and uncertainty (probably even more so than game development). A recent paper I had at a top journal was the product of 7 years work. Colleagues may have seen you present papers on parts of the work at various conferences, but none of it counts until the paper comes out. It's like a reset almost. You'll go on NPR or something and next day someone emails you and is all like "was that the wacky project you were working on when we were in grad school?" It can be awkward, but it's the name of the game.

Anyway, if FF XV delivers, we can finally leave this dark night of marketing confusion behind.

Absolutely, I understand. In my line of work,if we're behind a deadline we make as little fanfare out of it as possible and focus all efforts on finishing the product, but I get that this is different. When I say "slap in the face" I'm not mad, and will be buying the game anyway. Just feels like a weird decision. Helps to put on the marketing hat, so thanks.

artsi

Yes. It feels like a bit of a slap in the face that a 7 year delayed game has to get a 2 month out named event to announce the release date. Not sure why that's so confusing to you.

I've waited for 10 years too and I'm just happy that we're now this close to release. The game deserves a big event to celebrate it.

Because it makes no sense to be upset that they are finally announcing the release date, even if the announcement is 2 months away. And how many times do you need to be told that the event isn't to announce the release date?

Top Bottom