• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XV Taipei Game Show | January Active Time Report Thread

I like Greg Miller, he'd be perfect for a Persona show. But I don't know how I feel about him hosting this event. If he were to praise a game he didn't really show any interest in before it would be kind of disingenuous. If he criticized the game the whole time it would be annoying.

But that's why he isn't hosting it alone. Tim is perfect to host and Greg will be a good partner with him.

Valus

VastHairyIberianchiffchaff.gif

it's looking good

When I saw that it kinda made me miss FF8. Renzokuken or w/e had some awesome animations against big robots. Kinda wish they'd do something like that here.

catbrush

Hey--

That was actually's Square's *idea* when working with us. Don't get me wrong, I don't HATE Final Fantasy, but I've never connected with it. Meanwhile, Tim loves it.

Their point with Final Fantasy XV is that it'll bring in both of us -- noobs and hardcore fans.

<3
Greg

Good luck Greg, don't let us down! :)

Wagram

Was interested in seeing outside footage to compare to the screenshots. All I really seen was more unevenness. Desert looked great, and the duscae like region had big issues. Then again that was old based on the dates given.

Mediking

Greg just explained it. I actually like that idea of bringing in someone who's not familiar along with someone who loves the franchise. Perspective is nice.

More like there's a high potential of bad jokes and awkward moments. Not throwing shots at Greg. I'm just saying.

Hey--

That was actually's Square's *idea* when working with us. Don't get me wrong, I don't HATE Final Fantasy, but I've never connected with it. Meanwhile, Tim loves it.

Their point with Final Fantasy XV is that it'll bring in both of us -- noobs and hardcore fans.

<3
Greg
Oh man nice to see you over here. Just wanted to say congratulations for the award and that I love your podcasts.

Those development progress percents have me a little worried...I thought the game was done from start to finish and they were just polishing the game now.
I wouldn't read too much into the percentages. You can't really measure game development like that, they're likely just rough estimates - so while something says "60% done" that could mean the actual feature itself is done but they just need to work on polish and animation etc.

Famassu

The reason I think June is unlikely is because for a game this big, I think they would want at least a full 6 month marketing cycle for it, which they have indicated will begin in March. That also includes retailer tie-ins, on-site promotional stands, etc. A 3 month cycle would be extremely short.
FFXIII's Japanese release date was announced in September for December. I'd say 4 months isn't completely impossible. Putting FFXV for early August and having Deus Ex for late August wouldn't really be all that different from having Deus Ex in late August and FFXV releasing like September 15th. If they start a big marketing campaign in April and even have big events like E3 (and Gamescom for some ~around-the-release final push), they don't necessarily need 6 months for promotion.

Famassu

As amazing as all of this is I do have to say it's a disappointment that the story set-up sounds like literally the exact same thing as Type-0.
That's the way this game's story has been set up for as long as they've revealed anything about the game even when it was still Versus XIII, so I'm not sure why you're disappointed now. Besides, it doesn't matter if the premise of an aggressive invading nation is similar. FFType-0 is completely different in execution. Type-0 is more about a military school & doing skirmishes & saving occupied cities that help your side of the war. In FFXV Niflheim actually succeeds in their invasion and you're on the run on a road trip where all kinds of shit happens. Type-0 isn't even the first FF where a big empire is invading others by the use of superior technology & a huge army (FFVI & FFXII say hello, for just a couple of examples)

DeSolos

I fear that these bases will end up being the generic side missions of XV. Liberate regions by destroying bases!

Considering that Aranea makes an appearance. I don't think all of them will be like that.

That being said. There will obviously be repetition in side missions to some degree. They can't realistically fill a world that large with entirely unique content the whole way through. From what they showed though. If THAT is the level of cinematic gameplay they're going for in even the side content, COUNT ME IN.

When it comes to stronghold liberation in other games it's usually just run of the mill content that has no real difference in terms of gameplay flow from what you normally do. This on the other hand has a very different flow. It's stealth and combat. This to me makes it feel like, while the bases may be repetitive it's almost like a mini game as it employs mechanics outside of the typical ones. No it's not Fort Condor different, but it's not random encounters in the wasteland either. Thinking of it that way, it's almost like the bases are different stages of the same mini game, and since there are a finite number of bases, it probably won't outlive its welcome. As long as it's fun, the different base layouts should provide enough variety for the whole game.

Soriku

Dark_castle

Considering that Aranea makes an appearance. I don't think all of them will be like that.

That being said. There will obviously be repetition in side missions to some degree. They can't realistically fill a world that large with entirely unique content the whole way through. From what they showed though. If THAT is the level of cinematic gameplay they're going for in even the side content, COUNT ME IN.

When it comes to stronghold liberation in other games it's usually just run of the mill content that has no real difference in terms of gameplay flow from what you normally do. This on the other hand has a very different flow. It's stealth and combat. This to me makes it feel like, while the bases may be repetitive it's almost like a mini game as it employs mechanics outside of the typical ones. No it's not Fort Condor different, but it's not random encounters in the wasteland either. Thinking of it that way, it's almost like the bases are different stages of the same mini game, and since there are a finite number of bases, it probably won't outlive its welcome. As long as it's fun, the different base layouts should provide enough variety for the whole game.

In an ideal world, I would much rather they make the world smaller and more linear in exchange for more unique side content. But that's not happening right now with XV, so I'd hope they will try their best to compensate by including more unique side quests to balance out the fillers, i.e like Witcher 3. Not like DA:I where they go all-out padding shite.

Maniel

Banned
In an ideal world, I would much rather they make the world smaller and more linear in exchange for more unique side content. But that's not happening right now with XV, so I'd hope they will try their best to compensate by including more unique side quests to balance out the fillers, i.e like Witcher 3. Not like DA:I where they go all-out padding shite.
Witcher 3-like side quests with the combat we have seen would make this game one of my GOAT.

Famassu

Don't forget Shin Megami Tensei IV: Final or even Star Ocean 5.

Actually I really doubt FF XV touches either of the Megaten games, even if the OST will still be good. Yoko is good but not Atlus-level good...

Also wondering how KH3's (probably 2017) OST stacks up to FF XV.
Yoko Shimomura is going to destroy Star Ocean 5 easily. And everything heard from FFXV so far is much better than... whatever that is you linked from SMTIV Final. Persona 5 will probably put up a good fight with FFXV's OST. Will probably come down to preference at that point, whether one likes Shimomura's orchestral stuff more than the Jpop-y/jazz-y/rock-y Persona stuff.

Soriku

Yoko Shimomura is going to destroy Star Ocean 5 easily. And everything heard from FFXV so far is much better than... whatever that is you linked from SMTIV Final. Persona 5 will probably put up a good fight with FFXV's OST. Will probably come down to preference at that point, whether one likes Shimomura's orchestral stuff more than the Jpop-y/jazz-y/rock-y Persona stuff.

Have you listened to SO3 or SO4's OST? Frankly I'm going to wait.

On the SMT track, the only comparable track from FF XV is Gratia Mundi (pending title). No not everything from FF XV is better...the day battle theme in Episode Duscae is far more dull for example.

Exentryk

I fear that these bases will end up being the generic side missions of XV. Liberate regions by destroying bases!

Yeah, I get the same feeling. Type-0 also had a lot of those infiltrate missions, and they were pretty crap. If the combat is fun however, then it'll be bearable at least.

Top Bottom