• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XV tech demo presentation by Tabata (Demo gameplay details added)

Eidan

This game was promised all along to have a KH-like battle system, so yes. Why is it a problem if KH3 and FFXV both play similarly?

Because one is Final Fantasy and the other is not?

I expect FFXV to "play like KH" in the sense that it is an action RPG. Beyond that it should really have its own direction, which I'm happy to see seems to be the case.

raven777

In gameplay, with enemies on the screen.
:p

even then,

ff8_4.jpg

This is in-game character modeled just zoomed in.

I think it's a lot better than PS1 CG stuff, other than obvious cleaness and AA or CG.

i-Lo

We still don't really know and there's conflicting info all over, but it sounds like the primary basis of the game is Kingdom Hearts (which is basically a hack-and-slash with RPG elements) with an overlay of systems to give it a touch of both 12 and Crisis Core.

Thanks. I've never played a KH & so that reference is lost on me.

Eidan

even then,

ff8_4.jpg

This is in-game character modeled just zoomed in.

I think it's a lot better than PS1 CG stuff, other than obvious cleaness and AA or CG.

Yeah I think you'll have to excuse him. A lot of people seem to misremember how old games actually looked. It's always funny when you see someone say something looks like it's "PS2 level" visually in 2014.

Thanks. I've never played a KH & so that reference is lost on me.

KH is basically typical third-person character action stuff - think your Dynasty Warriors sort of thing - with an RPG character progression on the back-end and the ability to trigger special attacks beyond the weapon swinging, like magic and summons, added on top.

This game looks too good to be true that I'm starting to think that they will need to sell a billion copies to meet expectations. This is insane level of details especially in animation.

i-Lo

KH is basically typical third-person character action stuff - think your Dynasty Warriors sort of thing - with an RPG character progression on the back-end and the ability to trigger special attacks beyond the weapon swinging, like magic and summons, added on top.

Thanks. So something closer to a fusion between crisis core & XIII LR ?

Teletraan1

Banned
Ugg, why are all these new Final Fantasy games just Crisis Core with a new skin. I want a turn based FF that isn't a hallway sim. The graphics look pretty but I am not at all interested in how the game plays. It is bad enough they had been reducing the party to minimal levels in the turn based games. No wonder people find turn based boring when you give them nothing to manage. Now it it is just eliminated entirely and replaced with a weak battle engine. Not impressed. I want a classic ATB with a 4+ member party. While I ultimately ended up liking FFXII I still think it would have been better as just a traditional game. I don't love Xenoblade's combat either. The way this has all gone recently is really not to my liking.

Valnen

Two different series being made to play the same is not a problem?

Nope! Why would it be? This was supposed to originally be an offshoot game that played like Kingdom Hearts. I want a Final Fantasy game that plays like Kindgom Hearts because that is what was originally promised. I don't want this game to have it's "own direction". The more games that play like KH, the better I say!

Carbonox

I've yet to hear a single thing about this game that's off-putting. Everything sounds and looks amazing.

This rumoured surprise at the end of the demo is a release date IMO. Might as well go balls deep with the amount of stuff we've been getting on the game lately.

BadWolf

Nope! Why would it be? This was supposed to originally be an offshoot game that played like Kingdom Hearts. I want a Final Fantasy game that plays like Kindgom Hearts because that is what was originally promised. I don't want this game to have it's "own direction". The more games that play like KH, the better I say!

why would it be a problem now? we knew this for the past 8 years already all the while expecting a kh3 somewhere along the line.

It's a mainline game now, not a side story.

FF is a much bigger and more popular brand than KH. The series has also had much better battle systems than KH.

Zoe

Have you seen them? The world?

I have no issues with it personally and wouldn't like them to be western exactly, but a little more neutral would make more sense given their designs and world.

Of course I've seen them, and I still disagree. There's nothing that screams they must act "neutral" (whatever that means), much less Western.

StuBurns

Banned
That doesn't mean they should change the gameplay from what was originally promised. I want what was originally promised.

"Better?". Absolutely not. Different? Yes.
Promised?

Games change during development. Initial concept work for this game began in 2003, it'll have taken thirteen years by the time it ships, things change, and no promises were ever made. If you don't want this game, don't purchase it. You're under no obligation to buy something just because you wanted an earlier version, or because it is named Final Fantasy.

Different is fine, so long as it's good and has depth.

The implied changes sound disappointing at first glance, but I was fully ready for the battle system revealed at E3 last year to completely turn out to be a crock-of-bullshit, and frankly, while further details are needed, the (apparently) new system do seem to at least capture a respectable amount of the essense portrayed in the final combat outcome.

Dark_castle

I really really hope manual controlling over other party members is not removed. The fact that they didn't even switch control to any other characters once in the demo is worrying.

RocBase

It's a mainline game now, not a side story.

FF is a much bigger and more popular brand than KH. The series has also had much better battle systems than KH.
eh in retrospect i guess that's fair considering the initial reproach folks (not in the know i assume) had about a mainline ff not being turn-based.
though for me personally im not fussed at all about having two arpgs

and that's a bold ass comment about the the battle systems being historically better in ff. apples and oranges if you ask me

Freeman

Banned
I'm not big into FF but this looks insane.

Gloriously rendered hairs.

The swordless frog is the only thing I disapprove off.

If TLG shows as much improvement if it ever comes back I don't know if I can handle it.

DevilFox

what's wrong with the hairstyles? the graphics look so good the hair looks like real life!
plus, these hair styles are really trendy.

Models are absolutely great, it's just that some of the hairstyles look weird to me.
Ignis for example looks cool.. until you watch him from the side, it looks like he has a peacock on his head.
Prompto's hair seems done by a drunk stylist and I wonder if Noctis can see something beyond that fringe.
Nevertheless, Nomura said the hairstyles would represent the characters personality and I can't say he did a bad job.

I wanted to start a new thread but I'll say it here: FF is truly dead. I've known for years that the series has been going down the shitter but I held out hope for XV. After seeing this gameplay video my interest in the game vanished completely. This is not Final Fantasy. To me it was always about an intriguing story and turn-by-turn battles.

You know something is wrong when Square-Enix talks about technical stuff for 4 minutes for a video about gameplay. But I guess our generation couldn't care less about gameplay. What I've seen is automated shit and it seems the game will be completed on autopilot. Does it look great? Of couse. It's impressive. But don't say it's Final Fantasy while it only borrows the name and a couple monsters from the series. It's a poor imitation of Xenoblade really, with a touch of Kingdom Hearts.

Maybe the game will be good. But almost 10 years for a game that is not even close to the feeling of classic FFs is a sin. Why can't they just have a good story, great characters and old-school gameplay with today's technology? I guess I'll have to just buy Bravely Second since FF devs have no idea what the fuck they're doing wih the series.

lol what is it about final fantasy fans. There's at least 5 of these rants in every thread...

Manu

lol what is it about final fantasy fans. There's at least 5 of these rants in every thread...

I think it's video game fans in general. It's an argument I've seen a lot.

"I loved this series because they made 35 perfect games, but then game 36 was bad so they're dead to me forever. DEAD!"

SoulUnison

Banned
Not bad performances, he just voices so many characters in the English dubs of anime

I find him to be sort of flat, but it could just be the fatigue of hearing him in *everything* over the last several years, and how he always sounds almost exactly the same.

Honestly, if Noctis ends up being Bosch, i'll hope for a Japanese voice track option - and I'm someone who plays things in my native language 95% of the time. His voice is *that* much of a turn off to me at this point.

Models are absolutely great, it's just that some of the hairstyles look weird to me.
Ignis for example looks cool.. until you watch him from the side, it looks like he has a peacock on his head.
Prompto's hair seems done by a drunk stylist and I wonder if Noctis can see something beyond that fringe.
Nevertheless, Nomura said the hairstyles would represent the characters personality and I can't say he did a bad job.

They are regular japanese-guy hairstyles though. (OK, maybe not regular person, but i'd see these kind of hairstyles all the time, everyday, in tokyo.)

I guess nomura has this kind of "ikemen" fetish?

Nocturn

Neo Member
Love how everything looks now. I don't like how the combat is slower than the e3 2013 gameplay trailer. It felt too grounded while in the e3 trailer it felt more like Advent Children. Oh well.... Not enough info on combat yet. But if that giant adamontoise or w.e it's called can be fought then I don't see how a grounded combat system would work, so hopefully its similar to the e3 combat.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
Okay, so... one thing has really stuck out here in all of this FFXV. Has their been any news or confirmation of any playable females in the game? This series is known for good, strong female characters that are in the main cast and playable. For all of the years this game has bounced around, I don't recall any mention of one. Is the Bro-force really the only characters? Or are they being coy?

Holykael1

Banned
Okay, so... one thing has really stuck out here in all of this FFXV. Has their been any news or confirmation of any playable females in the game? This series is known for good, strong female characters that are in the main cast and playable. For all of the years this game has bounced around, I don't recall any mention of one. Is the Bro-force really the only characters? Or are they being coy?

They want to make a roadtrip brotherhood story, that's all there is to it. There are female characters, they might be playable later in the game maybe.

I have a serious problem with those hairstyles.. but I'm very excited for everything else.
Finally FFXV feels "close", damn it's been so long..

You have a problem with that hair? Not crazy enough for you I guess, since it's pretty toned down compared to the stuff you can find in the other FF games.

I don't know much about the game other than it looks absolutely incredible (graphically) and has a really tight, clean and coherent art direction.
That demo was beautiful to look at.

Asd202

Back in E3 2013 they mentioned that a playable female character would be hard to do for story reasons.

Golnei

It's a shame the recent games' voice direction and translation have been so sterile and cliched. This game's atmosphere and tone will be three times as obnoxious with typical anime VAs and clunky lines added to the mix - I guess it's too much to hope for them to hire Alex O. Smith's company to assist with the translation?

If Stella's not a serious antagonist (likely, considering this series' record), she'll likely join at some point, along with the mysterious black-haired girl. That'd leave us with the standardised FF party size.

Top Bottom