• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XV tech demo presentation by Tabata (Demo gameplay details added)

BadWolf

i7EXGqMb1gL0X.gif

So Noctis is in control of their arsenal?

Both their weapons disappear after the attack is done with that summon sword effect of his.

ConceptX

Glorious.

I'm really excited about the whole team working together in battle/combo system thing, it doesn't seem to be like it's only scripted events at certain times, but rather you meet a certain set of circumstances and you get a new command and boom.

Rain looks great, lighting looks great.

Awesome to see 4 party member system return.

Next gen frog, day 1.

DJIzana

you have already played the full game to know that the order will not have exploration ? Come on, maybe not like an open world game, but "no exploration or anything" without knowing so much about the game is a little reckless statement!

Well, you're right but that's the impression the general media has left me with. Don't get me wrong, I'm still interested in that game as well but to me, it does feel more like a linear game. I hope that it isn't but yeah. I just get that feeling.

In any case, I really hope it IS borrowing the dual (hopefully even tripple) system that the Chrono franchise uses! God... my heart would give out if so!

Especially if they had some really ambitious looking attacks too! :O

This game looks phenomenal . It does not have the same battle system as XIII saga which I found boring and utterly detestable. It reminds me of the KH battle system which I love so no problems there. I like the direction of the game so far. Please FFXV, the future of Japan is in your hands.

In any case, I really hope it IS borrowing the dual (hopefully even tripple) system that the Chrono franchise uses! God... my heart would give out if so!

Dude, four-member party. Quadruple techs :)

Sanpunkan

Maybe this has already been clarified, but is this actually running on a PS4 dev unit? It could just be a DS4 controlling a PC. Which means this might not be how the game looks.

It looks amazing.

chrono01

I just thought of something!

ibrbWxVXYPxxvk.gif

+

i7EXGqMb1gL0X.gif

=

Chrono Trigger remake or Chrono Trigger/Cross sequel confirmed!

Not really, but a man can dream.

raven777

Maybe this has already been clarified, but is this actually running on a PS4 dev unit? It could just be a DS4 controlling a PC. Which means this might not be how the game looks.

It looks amazing.

all we know is that it's using DS4. It could be PC, Devkit, or actual PS4 hardware(unlikely)

Jeels

This looks great! Final Fantasy is finally back :) FFXIV + expansions, Type-0, FFXV, Theatherythm + DLC. Best of all, no Lightning in sight.

Skilletor

You can still play that like an action game too, right?

Yep. You can time your button presses if you like (like me), or hold the button down for autoattacks.

I wonder if they'll add something with dodges where timing it better gives you more advantage maybe, or gives you a special animation on different types of enemies.

thematic

all we know is that it's using DS4. It could be PC, Devkit, or actual PS4 hardware(unlikely)

I really hope it's a PS4 devkit
but seeing this game also released for XB1, a PC is most logical choice for development.
but if PC isn't 1080p then I really afraid what kind downgrade waiting for final console release (I don't think anyone develop using low end GPU for PC)

Well, you're right but that's the impression the general media has left me with. Don't get me wrong, I'm still interested in that game as well but to me, it does feel more like a linear game. I hope that it isn't but yeah. I just get that feeling.

Maybe that's what Tabata meant with the "better than a boss battle" comment

Yep. You can time your button presses if you like (like me), or hold the button down for autoattacks.

I wonder if they'll add something with dodges where timing it better gives you more advantage maybe, or gives you a special animation on different types of enemies.
Yeah, it's all down to the button press. Holding the attack button just makes the character go through their normal attack string. It's no less an action game. I think people are reading "auto-attack" and interpreting it as "auto-pilot", and that's probably not what they mean at all.

Oh my god, so much FFXV media lately!!!! :D

I WANT MOAR NAO!

Well, at least we have a concrete date for the next information blowout for XV. (Jump Festa)

Wow, I thought it'd be another two years before I could put "XV" and "info blowout" in the same sentence.

I really hope it's a PS4 devkit
but seeing this game also released for XB1, a PC is most logical choice for development.
but if PC isn't 1080p then I really afraid what kind downgrade waiting for final console release (I don't think anyone develop using low end GPU for PC)

Considering the framerate, I can't believe this is PC, or at least I would be very surprised. I reckon it is a PS4 devkit.

Peltz

It looks amazing.

I don't usually quibble about the looks of games. And I agree the main characters are well animated and look cool. But those buildings and the overall environment looks pretty lifeless.

It's not really hard to believe this running on a PS4. I'm pressed with the overall IQ and flair of the character design. But it doesn't look like it's pushing the technical envelop in this specific tech demo. I have no doubt that the final product will be jaw dropping though.

Dark_castle

Yeah, it's all down to the button press. Holding the attack button just makes the character go through their normal attack string. It's no less an action game. I think people are reading "auto-attack" and interpreting it as "auto-pilot", and that's probably not what they mean at all.

That's exactly what I was under the impression of. I have no idea why people are getting so worked up over it. In fact, the ability to hold down a button for attack sometimes helps for ARPG (like D3) when using skills that has no cooldown and resource cost, because you can maximize DPS. And for other times, you need to time and press accordingly to move away from incoming attacks and what not.

Skilletor

That's exactly what I was under the impression of. I have no idea why people are getting so worked up over it. In fact, the ability to hold down a button for attack sometimes helps for ARPG (like D3) when using skills that has no cooldown and resource cost, because you can maximize DPS. And for other times, you need to time and press accordingly to move away from incoming attacks and what not.

Right, like in Type-0 you eventually got a lot of manual moves that you could string together.

It's a serious non-issue.

Frumix

Suffering From Success
It was the same in 13. There was automatic queuing of attacks AI thinks are optimal to save the tedium where it wasn't needed and people prefer to ignore everything else about the battle system just because of that.

The execution of 2013's Fire spell was also different. Back then, it was implied that the fire spell was triggered by all the different swords stabbed in the Behemoth's body, which Noctis used as a conduit to burn the monster.

Whereas 2014's spell didn't involve any skewered Behemoths, but simply Noctis channeling fire magic and shooting it at the Behemoth.

2013 implied some sort of set-piece combat set-up ( attach swords onto giant monster, then blow it up ) , whereas 2014 was just direct magic use.

Top Bottom