• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XV TGS 2014 Trailer: English Voices

Great voices! i haven't got any single problem with them, they fit pretty well...

why can't i play as the most manly character ever; Gladiolus? :C

I don't really like how Noctis' voice is so gruff/low... that doesn't really fit his character very well to me. Or maybe it's just hearing the Japanese voices for so long throwing me.

Lelcar

Jack Fletcher is usually in charge of directing the english Final Fantasy games and he has a personal policy in which he doesn't let previous Final Fantasy voice actors become main characters again. So Troy Baker as a main character seems unlikely.

Vashetti

Banned
How bizarre. They sound great, but it's strange after all these years to hear them with English voices.

Noctis' voice is a little deeper than I'd imagined though. Oh well.

Hiko

Banned
Of course there has to be the one random guy with a British accent. Can't be a dubbed jrpg without that.

The dubbing overall made me cringe. But that's about what I expected from this game.

komorebi

Yoko Shimomura. Yes, we're getting a whole Final Fantasy game's worth of Kingdom Hearts/Xenoblade music. Probably what excites me most about the game.

Me too but to be fair, she composed only a fraction of Xenoblade. Her tracks were incredible though. She's one of the only composers in the industry who's work is consistently amazing.

Wagram

Too early to tell but some of it sounds rough. I said the same thing about some of Lightnings lines back in the day but they definitely go back and change them.

Philippo

Obviously still need a lot of works, i'm sure the voices themselves will improve with time (just look at the lip-sync).

Still, Noctis sounds too Batman-ish, Gladio is ok, Prompto is actually good and much more bearable than JPN voice, and Ignis is not British enough.

Ishida

Banned
i can't handle the mix of styles

image.php

Kasper

It may just be nostalgia speaking, but from listening to this I feel like Final Fantasy voice overs has gotten worse since the PS2 days. Both X and XII were far better to me than this and XIII.

komorebi

Still, Noctis sounds too Batman-ish, Gladio is ok, Prompto is actually good and much more bearable than JPN voice, and Ignis is not British enough.

What I can't handle are the names in this game. I understand that its "Latin inspired". Okay. But fucking Prompto? I mean come on.

koutoru

The thing I don't like about this is that if you want to have dual audio they're probably going to make you download all the cut scenes again just to have the lips re synced properly.

Asd202

Obviously still need a lot of works, i'm sure the voices themselves will improve with time (just look at the lip-sync).

They probably recored the trailer lines while doing the voice work for the demo and put them onto the original TGS trailer so I wouldn't worry about lip-sync.

daveo42

Banned
I was expecting Noctis to sound a little less gruff. Any shouts or yelling or even boisterous dialogue sounded so off too. Thank god for a Japanese track being included. I don't think I could hand 30+ hours of that.

Village

No not high pitch. There isn't only two sides to this. His voice in Japanese fits perfectly. Something closer to that would be much better than another deep voice protag in a game.

I disagree , I think he sounds fine. I like noctis with a deep voice, different types of voices can come out of different types of people.

silva1991

At first I was like meh probably because I heard them for the first time ,but when I replayed it I thought it was pretty good

Asd202

Was the "she made it out alive?" line in the original trailer?
Edit:
Just checked it was"I trust she's well" that a pretty big change that gives a lot more context, guess some shit already went down story wise. I'm speculating but I think Luna is the new Stella.

I disagree , I think he sounds fine. I like noctis with a deep voice, different types of voices can come out of different types of people.
Yep, they can, but that's a silly argument for justifying a voice. We can have him sound like Hamtaro then, and it's fine because different voices can come from different people. I'm being silly of course, but right now Noctis's voice sounds way too deep and I don't like it.

Dark_castle

No not high pitch. There isn't only two sides to this. His voice in Japanese fits perfectly. Something closer to that would be much better than another deep voice protag in a game.

I suppose, but it's really not that bad. Could be worse really.

Prompto's voice work was surprisingly well-done though. I imagined he would be the most awkward, cheesy sounding character in the group, and he still kinda is, but also humorous at the same time. It reminds me of Krillin's voice in TFS.

Jack Fletcher is usually in charge of directing the english Final Fantasy games and he has a personal policy in which he doesn't let previous Final Fantasy voice actors become main characters again. So Troy Baker as a main character seems unlikely.

Based on the way Baker speaks about FF13 these days + his newfound fame, one wonders if he'd even go back if asked!

This is definitely just a dub over the trailer footage, anyway, as the footage is identical - I wonder if there's a running build with any English yet?

TriGen

I thought it sounded fine. I got no problem with this one.

I'll admit the very beginning sounded rough, but the rest of it worked.

Philippo

They probably recored the trailer lines while doing the voice work for the demo and put them onto the original TGS trailer so I wouldn't worry about lip-sync.

Yeah, just seems like a quick job, although this doesn't make much sense since the demo isn't actually coming out in March, which makes the rush weird.

SPAW

byeeeeee this sounds terrible. the random british accent is especially off putting

While I agree that Ignis sounds hideous, the general level of these voices are way above most dubs I have heard. Tabata also stated in Paris that they would look into bringing the Japanese voice track with the international release.

Top Bottom