• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FINAL FANTASY XVI | Prologue DEMO

ebevan91

I played on Graphics mode and found the performance perfectly acceptable, but I'm a filthy casual and usually fine with 30 fps so ymmv.

I played the entirity of Horizon: FW in graphics mode or whatever and it felt fine but when I tried to play this game on graphics mode I couldn't do it. I did for a little while but switched to Performance.

I played the entirity of Horizon: FW in graphics mode or whatever and it felt fine but when I tried to play this game on graphics mode I couldn't do it. I did for a little while but switched to Performance.
I usually don't give a shit but I immediately noped out of graphics mode in this game, there's something going on with the motion blur I think

ebevan91

I usually don't give a shit but I immediately noped out of graphics mode in this game, there's something going on with the motion blur I think

I think that's what it is because I turn that shit off immediately on every game I play and I don't think there's an option to disable it at least in the demo.

Last edited:

Go_Ly_Dow

I finally played the demo and fuck it was good. I am thinking on getting it day one XD
Join Us Mystery Science Theater 3000 GIF by MOODMAN

I watched my woman play through the demo, women's reactions are so different but refreshing. She wasn't on about the graphics or the framerate just the story and music. She was into a lot of the things that I kind of casually put off.
When Ser Tyler and Wade died, she was especially pissed at the mom when she realized what was going on. She cried a lot. When Joshua bit it, the King, when she thought Ambrosia bit it, and when Rodney died.
This game is going to do very well. I am definitely going media dark now but will be watching a female gamer stream it when I finish it.

My favorite thing she did in her playthrough was when she sat in Stillwind Marsh for 20 minutes at the entrance just listening to the music.

Last edited:

Quantum253

That's strange because that's what I got in performance mode: The worst motion blur I've seen in a long time. And it was only corrected by switching to graphics mode. I would want to play the entire game in performance, so I might wait for performance reviews for this since I know the gameplay/story are done well

Shifty1897

Getting my non-Final Fantasy loving friends to even try the demo is like pulling teeth. I'm not surprised at all that pre order sales are down.
"Hey you like God of War and Game of Thrones, you should give this FREE FF16 demo a try. It's nothing like the recent Final Fantasies. It's like God of War."
"Nah I don't really like Final Fantasy games."
Frustrated Head GIF

There are going to be sooooo many people who will never try this game because of the game's name and the tarnished reputation the franchise has had over the last 15+ years.

Last edited:

vpance

It's a little jittery looking. Not as bad as FF7R but not the greatest. I'm actually running with motion interpolation on my TV in that mode and it seems pretty playable.

scydrex

Finished the first part of the demo and liked it. Will play it not sure if day one but yes. Quality mode or 30fps and feels fine. Didn't even bother with 60fps. This game needs a 40fps mode lower res or idk but please Square make it happen... add a 40fps mode.

Last edited:
I finished the demo and thought it was very good.

Not tried the combat trials yet but the prologue combat seemed good. I can see that people are doing crazy combos but I didn't see a need as the perfect evade timing is very generous at least on normal difficulty. Could definitely see myself enjoying this kind of casual DMC combat though.

The story seemed interesting and certainly already better than what I saw in FF15.

I'm not buying it on PS5 at least unless they have really ramped up the quality and performance of the final game but I know that kind of stuff doesn't bother most people so I can see why the majority are excited.

Some critiques:
For me personally some of the English VA really made me laugh at events I'm sure were supposed to be emotional - Clive's acting in the Phoenix bit was like a spoof and sounded very amateurish.

Neither graphics mode was acceptable for me. Graphics mode feels bad and looks bad thanks to the horrible motion blur. Performance mode looks blurry as hell without even considering the motion blur and the performance is all over the place. Like why am I getting less than 48 FPS standing in this tiny empty room? Not to mention the 15fps Panzer Dragoon fight that should just have been pre-rendered. Old build I know so maybe it will improve.

uw4EwDn.jpg

The graphics are a real mixed bag - the cutscenes can look like CGI (at least the characters) and the motion blur and depth of field they use is really high quality but the gameplay can look kind of shit.

What's going on with the ground here for instance? Some really weird artifacts that were even more obvious on a TV. Maybe just a bug?

sWvV3OV.jpg

The AF looked really bad throughout leading to really blurry ground textures.

kZcSvQJ.jpg

Some parts were like a damp squib and felt like placeholders. 2015 v 2023. I know not exactly fair as you can go to the Witcher 3 area later on but you have to admit the FF16 scene looks really crap.

cTWG2w8.jpg

TgBG6Gh.jpg

Crayon

Me and wife tried it last night and came away really impressed. We are both chipping at Zelda very slowly but we'll be getting this for sure.

Solidus_T

Just finished the second section of the demo. The gameplay is damn good and the storytelling and acting are some of the best I've seen in a video game. Releasing this demo was a smart move because I had some doubts, but they are all gone after trying the game. I'll be playing it on PS5
EDIT: How could I forget to mention how beautiful the soundtrack is! This is taking a crap all over the generic blockbuster forgettable "epic" tracks from other games and movies.

Last edited:

GooseMan69

To me, this demo felt like a 7th gen throwback in a lot of ways, and I love that. The big bombastic setpieces, strong emphasis on story, even the “cinematic strikes” or whatever (QTE’s lol). “Emergent” gameplay and player freedom is all the rage these days, but I don’t want every game to be like that. Sometimes I’m in the mood for a more directed experience. Sometimes I just want to press a button and watch cool shit happen. Not that the game is mindless or anything. From what I’ve seen the combat is actually quite deep.

I dunno, just felt refreshing to me. The tropes that everyone bitched about in 2010 (linear, cinematic, etc) are cool again. For me at least.

Last edited:

vpance

To me, this demo felt like a 7th gen throwback in a lot of ways, and I love that. The big bombastic setpieces, strong emphasis on story, even the “cinematic strikes” or whatever (QTE’s lol). “Emergent” gameplay and player freedom is all the rage these days, but I don’t want every game to be like that. Sometimes I’m in the mood for a more directed experience. Sometimes I just want to press a button and watch cool shit happen. Not that the game is mindless or anything. From what I’ve seen the combat is actually quite deep.

I dunno, just felt refreshing to me. The tropes that everyone bitched about in 2010 (linear, cinematic, etc) are cool again. For me at least.

A game like FF is trying to be epic, so things like walk and talk and "self directed" cinematics aren't going to work very well.

Devs have slowly gotten away from big cinematic set pieces in favor of keeping it all in-game because it's just less work and cost.

TheInfamousKira

Reseterror Resettler

It's all about implementation. It's a lot like music. People who are just branching into more complex music usually become noob-elitist-snobs, in so far as they'll start ACTIVELY avoiding anything that can be broadly categorized as "an element of pop music," - concise track length, basic song structures, common chord progression, etc, under the notion that it's an objective, binary deal. One column good, one column bad.

The novice mistake here is underestimating just how much know-how, technical literacy, demographic awareness and experience it takes to make a 3 and a half minute song that: is catchy without being irritating, has a wide appeal, stands out from other imitators in the genre. It's pop sensibility, and it's a talent that's taken sorely for granted.

Coming full circle to the point, linearity, openess, set pieces and a whole myriad of other concepts and sequences common to games are only as tired and uninspired as the minds conceiving them. Humanity has been reinventing the wheel and repurposing the raw ingredients of whatever object or task is in front of them forever, it's just always a sort of surreal experience realizing how much we settle for the standard and how blown away we are by comparison to something that we really enjoy.

NO SPOILERS BUT COPIES SHOULD BE IN THE WILD SOON

There is a picture on 4chan of someone holding a copy and, from the looks of it, it's from someone who probably works in retail. Maybe their stupid ass decided to open up the boxes with the game to take a photo but we never know. People do tend to be stupid when internet clout is involved.

Last edited:

GooseMan69

It's all about implementation. It's a lot like music. People who are just branching into more complex music usually become noob-elitist-snobs, in so far as they'll start ACTIVELY avoiding anything that can be broadly categorized as "an element of pop music," - concise track length, basic song structures, common chord progression, etc, under the notion that it's an objective, binary deal. One column good, one column bad.

The novice mistake here is underestimating just how much know-how, technical literacy, demographic awareness and experience it takes to make a 3 and a half minute song that: is catchy without being irritating, has a wide appeal, stands out from other imitators in the genre. It's pop sensibility, and it's a talent that's taken sorely for granted.

Coming full circle to the point, linearity, openess, set pieces and a whole myriad of other concepts and sequences common to games are only as tired and uninspired as the minds conceiving them. Humanity has been reinventing the wheel and repurposing the raw ingredients of whatever object or task is in front of them forever, it's just always a sort of surreal experience realizing how much we settle for the standard and how blown away we are by comparison to something that we really enjoy.

As someone who went through a music snob phase when I was younger, this is an apt comparison.

It’s the classic midwit theory

e9421029-9d4f-498f-a2c3-f3c2e2e55bae-cover.png

Last edited:

TheAssist

Well....I bough it afer playing the demo.

My only gripe is the performance in 60 fps mode. Frames drop a bit too often, though its fine during combat. 30 fps mode feels sluggish and its hard to see through all the motion blur.
Hope they can fix these things in time, other than that I really want to know how the story continues!

Whitecrow

Banned
Getting my non-Final Fantasy loving friends to even try the demo is like pulling teeth. I'm not surprised at all that pre order sales are down.
"Hey you like God of War and Game of Thrones, you should give this FREE FF16 demo a try. It's nothing like the recent Final Fantasies. It's like God of War."
"Nah I don't really like Final Fantasy games."
Frustrated Head GIF

There are going to be sooooo many people who will never try this game because of the game's name and the tarnished reputation the franchise has had over the last 15+ years.
Not gonna lie. I'd like to slap every friend of mine who does this.

rofif

Banned
Ok finished the demo. Pretty amazing.

Don't want to reignite the debate but for me it's feels like the old school 2D FF adapted into modern consoles. So good.

Story looks pretty good for me so far. Really like the combat but hope minor enemies are more aggressive. I wanted to practice parry but they barely attack even if you stand still before them.
Eikon battles are nice to look but it's mainly interactive cutscenes... I am usually not speaking about performance issue but I had a very noticeable one (and it has to be pretty serious for me to notice that) during a cinematic moment of this fight. Heavy slow down (very choppy so I don't think it was intentional) but other that than it was perfect (Graphic mode).

Then I did the Eikonic challenge (skipped all cutscenes since it's later in the game and I want to appreciate them in context). Was overwhelmed by all the sudden option you have (dogs command, limit break, 6 eikons abilities + unlock...). First run was rough, I didn't even see the prompt for limit break so I didn't use it.
Did a quick second run and combat gets better and better. Eikon's abilities are so cool. Love the Titan's one, especially its special parry. Sooo good !
It feels really good to chained these attacks. Like heavy punch a guy away with Titan's abilities then pull it back with Garuda's.

Final fight is pretty good. A bit surprised that when you die, you restart at the beginning of the current phase of the boss and they refill you potion stock. They kind of reward you for dying. Maybe it's just a demo thing.

I directly preorder the game after that. Will not play much more of the demo. Waiting for the release to experience it fully (and get all the abilities progressively, getting everything at once is too overwhelming for me)

The game is not without default (very "AAA" philosophy with heavy guidance and lots of unnecessary "interactive moments" like door opening or eikons fight) but it still looks a top tier game.
This is great. And rings of easy mode also.
I am so happy not every dev is going for "games have to be super hard" thing like elden ring.

Hogwarts was one of best experiences I had this year. The combat was super fun to chain combos and it's a super easy game. Game dont have to be painfully hard to be fun and rewarding

CrustyBritches

Gold Member
Well....I bough it afer playing the demo.

My only gripe is the performance in 60 fps mode. Frames drop a bit too often, though its fine during combat. 30 fps mode feels sluggish and its hard to see through all the motion blur.
Hope they can fix these things in time, other than that I really want to know how the story continues!
It would be nice if they had an option to reduce motion blur in 30fps, fixed the 60fps mode for more stable performance, and had UI customization options.

After playing both ways for a decent amount of time I'll be playing in Performance mode. The Graphics mode motion blur is just too heavy, kind of makes me feel motion sick, and the blurry outline around the character is too distracting.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
XIV? Nah I don't think so, XV's maybe but the Luminos engine was notoriously hard to work in and why XV took so long to develop
All I know they are not using UE engine, KH4 and FFVII Rebirth are the ones that gonna use that.

Meicyn

Gold Member
XIV? Nah I don't think so, XV's maybe but the Luminos engine was notoriously hard to work in and why XV took so long to develop
It’s XIV’s engine, heavily upgraded.

Note that the FFXIV 7.0 graphics upgrade is coming next year. The work began on upgrading the assets around the time FFXVI was pretty much done. Various features made their way into XIV‘s engine, likely for testing purposes. NPC combat scripting, dynamic resolution support, the list goes on.

If you look closely, you can spot some of the limitations of XIV’s engine in the trailers.

A2una1

I watched my woman play through the demo, women's reactions are so different but refreshing. She wasn't on about the graphics or the framerate just the story and music. She was into a lot of the things that I kind of casually put off.
When Ser Tyler and Wade died, she was especially pissed at the mom when she realized what was going on. She cried a lot. When Joshua bit it, the King, when she thought Ambrosia bit it, and when Rodney died.
This game is going to do very well. I am definitely going media dark now but will be watching a female gamer stream it when I finish it.

My favorite thing she did in her playthrough was when she sat in Stillwind Marsh for 20 minutes at the entrance just listening to the music.
Well in the german Version it was no surprise.
the King is voiced with the german voice of sean bean

rofif

Banned
I finished the demo and thought it was very good.

Not tried the combat trials yet but the prologue combat seemed good. I can see that people are doing crazy combos but I didn't see a need as the perfect evade timing is very generous at least on normal difficulty. Could definitely see myself enjoying this kind of casual DMC combat though.

The story seemed interesting and certainly already better than what I saw in FF15.

I'm not buying it on PS5 at least unless they have really ramped up the quality and performance of the final game but I know that kind of stuff doesn't bother most people so I can see why the majority are excited.

Some critiques:
For me personally some of the English VA really made me laugh at events I'm sure were supposed to be emotional - Clive's acting in the Phoenix bit was like a spoof and sounded very amateurish.

Neither graphics mode was acceptable for me. Graphics mode feels bad and looks bad thanks to the horrible motion blur. Performance mode looks blurry as hell without even considering the motion blur and the performance is all over the place. Like why am I getting less than 48 FPS standing in this tiny empty room? Not to mention the 15fps Panzer Dragoon fight that should just have been pre-rendered. Old build I know so maybe it will improve.

uw4EwDn.jpg

The graphics are a real mixed bag - the cutscenes can look like CGI (at least the characters) and the motion blur and depth of field they use is really high quality but the gameplay can look kind of shit.

What's going on with the ground here for instance? Some really weird artifacts that were even more obvious on a TV. Maybe just a bug?

sWvV3OV.jpg

The AF looked really bad throughout leading to really blurry ground textures.

kZcSvQJ.jpg

Some parts were like a damp squib and felt like placeholders. 2015 v 2023. I know not exactly fair as you can go to the Witcher 3 area later on but you have to admit the FF16 scene looks really crap.

cTWG2w8.jpg

TgBG6Gh.jpg
You sound very picky.
Motion blur is very good in 30fps mode. Would look like a juddery mess without it.

Did you enjoy it regardless?

You sound very picky.
Motion blur is very good in 30fps mode. Would look like a juddery mess without it.

Did you enjoy it regardless?
I didn’t enjoy it enough to play it in this state as I know it would get abandoned within a few days. Happened to many games last gen and is starting to happen this gen with Jedi Survivor being the first.

The graphics are way too inconsistent for it to run so poorly and those big set pieces were like slideshows and should just have been cutscenes. Maybe the demo isn’t representative of the final game but we’ll see very soon I guess.

I would buy it on PC as I did like the DMC style combat and the story seemed very promising but probably not an option for a while.

Mr.Phoenix

I didn’t enjoy it enough to play it in this state as I know it would get abandoned within a few days. Happened to many games last gen and is starting to happen this gen with Jedi Survivor being the first.

The graphics are way too inconsistent for it to run so poorly and those big set pieces were like slideshows and should just have been cutscenes. Maybe the demo isn’t representative of the final game but we’ll see very soon I guess.

I would buy it on PC as I did like the DMC style combat and the story seemed very promising but probably not an option for a while.
Yup... can't take you seriously.

Hugare

This game is absolutely bananas. I just hope they can fix the frame pacing issues with a patch.
No frame pacing issues. Only frame drops, mostly in Performance Mode.

Anyone here will replay the first chapters once the full game comes out?

I'll definitely play them again

Crayon

Only thing I didn't like was this demo was not really showing me how the battles are going to stay fresh over the long haul. There's going to be more abilities and spells but I wonder if there is anthing going on with the party dynamic. I saw in the gameplay video from last week that you can give commands to the dog. That's what im looking for; some things that layer over the control of the single character.

Madflavor

Only thing I didn't like was this demo was not really showing me how the battles are going to stay fresh over the long haul. There's going to be more abilities and spells but I wonder if there is anthing going on with the party dynamic. I saw in the gameplay video from last week that you can give commands to the dog. That's what im looking for; some things that layer over the control of the single character.

Torgal is the closest thing to a Party Member in terms of being able to issue commands. The rest of the party are joining Clive for his journey, but they play more like Guest characters. You can't issue the commands.

Crayon

Torgal is the closest thing to a Party Member in terms of being able to issue commands. The rest of the party are joining Clive for his journey, but they play more like Guest characters. You can't issue the commands.

I figured they weren't going to have that, but maybe some more indirect way to play off the party members abilities.

ChiefDada

Gold Member
Guys this demo looks amazing but the HDR toggle is screwed! Maybe I'm the only dumbass that cranked brightness to 10 during first playthrough but the hdr toggle had me thinking I would be experiencing severe black crush at default level 5. Now that I reset to default on the OLED with correct PS5 calibration (already set) I swear this is the best implementation of HDR I've ever seen on PS5. The blacks are so inky now and the final Phoenix/Ifrit battle simply looks ridiculously beautiful.

Also performance mode is the way to go imo even with the drops the combat fluidity and temporal resolution of vfx is much more appreciable. It has such a filmic look to it I can't really explain better. I sincerely hope DF does a deep dive of the tech with Square Enix upon release.

Top Bottom