• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FINAL FANTASY XVI | Prologue DEMO

Boss Mog

Yes, counters with the Eikon abilities.

The parry window isn't really that small I practiced with the gigas, dragoon, and morbol. You want to swing right before they swing. Not before you get hit. Like you are interrupting their actual swing.

In the 2nd demo you have access to Titan and I love parrying with Titan cause you can couter-attack with a big 3-hit combo.

jm89

Trolls tried. But the evil was defeated.

zZuAtwZ.png

nothing-stops-the-train-bryan-cranston.gif

jm89

Does this really have anything to do with trolls? Didn't Sands of time have a huge following in japan?
The xbox version of a game that has no release date and people in japan are ordering it on mass to push it above totk and ff16? 2 of the biggest franchises in Japanese history, one which is launching next and the other is selling tons every week

Come on now, let's be real.

Last edited:
Try looking at quality motion blur as a positive thing which it is. Otherwise thre would be judder

Rof, i know brother, it's just that...i'm really disappointed with how the demo performed , i really dont get how people do not see this, either they're not playing it on an OLED screen or the fanboyism is too strong, it's one of the worst performing AAA games of the past few years that i've tried/played (just this quote will get me laughing emojis galore), i mean, people kept shitting on Redfall about its technical shortcomings and yet...where's he outrage for this one ?
It performs absolutely fucking terribly, it's either CONSTANT fps drops averaging at 40-somethin' fps with drops to the low 20's (eikon fights), or, have a friggin' 30fps molasses-like slide-show when choosing the "quality" mode.
It's a shame, i REALLY loved the action-y gameplay ,esthetics and OST but, if the final product hasn't changed from the demo it's gonna be a no for me - until the PS5 Pro gets released that is...

Cheers

Last edited:

rofif

Banned
Rof, i know brother, it's just that...i'm really disappointed with how the demo performed , i really dont get how people do not see this, either they're not playing it on an OLED screen or the fanboyism is too strong, it's one of the worst performing AAA games of the past few years that i've tried/played (just this quote will get me laughing emojis galore), i mean, people kept shitting on Redfall about its technical shortcomings and yet...where's he outrage for this one ?
It performs absolutely fucking terribly, it's either CONSTANT fps drops with averaging at 40-somethin' fps with drops to the low 20's (eikon fights), or, have a friggin' 30fps molasses-like slide-show when choosing the "quality" mode.
It's a shame, i REALLY loved the action-y gameplay ,esthetics and OST but, if the final product hasn't changed from the demo it's gonna be a no for me - until the PS5 Pro gets released that is...

Cheers
The performance mode is. It good. You gotta force youself to play quality mode.
Or full release will be different

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
It performs absolutely fucking terribly, it's either CONSTANT fps drops with averaging at 40-somethin' fps with drops to the low 20's (eikon fights), or, have a friggin' 30fps molasses-like slide-show when choosing the "quality" mode.

Cheers

Pray its fixed by launch because anyone with any actual true "feeling" for games can feel it. It's in a terrible state which for some reason is being completely overlooked.

this is performance mode.

Last edited:

Exentryk

Played the combat demo a few more times and enjoyed the combat a lot more as I got used it. The first time I played it I didn't even see the Limit Break prompt, so never used it. Now I've beaten the demo without any of those assist accessories, so yeah, it's plenty doable. It might feel like how will you even see what attacks are coming at you, but if you play it slow and watch the opponents, it becomes very doable. The enemies are also designed well so that they telegraph their attacks properly.

Going to continue playing a little more to figure out more things.

You should try smoking salvia divinorum 50x potency if you like seeing the world smeared in shit everytime you move your head.

Arguably the best 30 sec effect drug i ever tried.
I dunno about best... But damn if it's not an insanely intense thirty seconds. Felt like so much longer.

Ready for XVI.. worst thing is the day after it comes my wife gets back and we might be going out of town.. 😭 If I'm lucky I'll be staying and totally binge XVI. 🤞

SCB3

Just finished the Demo, yea this is gonna be a special game, I wasn't expecting that ending though, interesting way of ending it and was damned brutal for a FF game

Zuzu

I was thinking of cancelling my preorder and waiting for the PC version because of 30fps on my OLED. But I've hooked up my PS5 to my 4K LCD monitor and 30fps is better on there so I might just keep my preorder. Don't want to wait for the eventual PC release coz this seems like it's gonna be a very special JRPG & I don't wanna risk seeing spoilers while I wait for the PC version which could be some time away.

Last edited:

SF Kosmo

Al Jazeera Special Reporter
Demo was a good idea. I'm not a huge FF guy but I decided to give it a go. More interested than I was before. Thoughts:

• Very surprised how mature the writing was, avoids the J-RPG convention of over-explaining everything 30 times in case you fell asleep. Good Game of Thrones/Witcher dark fantasy vibes.
  • Despite the strong pacing in dialog and cut scenes, it did feel like 90% cut scene, 10% gameplay
  • Graphics are beautiful. Character animation is excellent.
  • Barely feels like an RPG any more. More linear than recent God of Wars.
  • Combat feels great
  • Performance is awful, stuck with the 30fps mode because the performance mode was all over the place.

Lokaum D+

It performs absolutely fucking terribly, it's either CONSTANT fps drops averaging at 40-somethin' fps with drops to the low 20's (eikon fights), or, have a friggin' 30fps molasses-like slide-show when choosing the "quality" mode.

Cheers
Look at TotK a 560p@sub 30fps game and ppl cant get enough of that game.

FF16 runs fine, demo was an old build, chill out and wait for DF review

Perfo

Thirteen flew over the cuckoo's nest
Would like to see an 40fps locked vrr mode but I bet we’ll never get it, except Sony no many devs care.

Btw for now I reverted back to HGIG, DTM has a much more punchy result for most of the areas but overall I don’t think I’m getting the same fidelity and sometimes it’s just too bright for my taste…

Bartski

Gold Member
a lot of talk I see around the framerate, I actually played in quality since in performance mode all cutscenes still felt like 30 fps. Way more jarring to be switching against smoother gameplay than just sticking to 30 all the way and letting the eye get used to it... But then came the Eikon fight.

hoplie

I feel the same like some of you. Neither mode was playable in a satisfying way on my OLED. Frame pacing is very very bad. That‘s really annoying.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Not so far from GoT to be fair, specially considering real life royal bloodlines.
Yeah, that’s how most dynasty back old days try keep their bloodline alive. But with Queen in GoT case it was less about that and more about she being in love with her own brother.

Which is similar to (Furiae in original Drakengard being in love with her blood related brother Caim but she was so a shamed about it that she killed herself.)

Last edited:

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Yeah, but there's linear and there's linear. Maybe we get some wide linear or open zone stuff later but it felt closer to Bayonetta than it did yo even a linear JRPG like Tales
We already know you gonna have big map to explore in this game, the demo literally takes place at very beginning of the game, most JRPG are have heavy in cutscenes and linear before the game truly starts, this even case with Xenoblade 3.

Yeah, but there's linear and there's linear. Maybe we get some wide linear or open zone stuff later but it felt closer to Bayonetta than it did yo even a linear JRPG like Tales.

We already know we are getting wide linear areas as they have shown them off.

But, just going back to the SNES/PS1/PS2/PS3 final fantasies, all of them were basically highly linear with some open areas. So I would not expect this to be an open world RPG like the Witcher. That's not what this is

Perfo

Thirteen flew over the cuckoo's nest
OLED owners, I highly recommend HGIG with 4-5 brightness setting. See before and after. The HDR is fantastic.

UoV83Jj.jpg

2Hejl4n.jpg

I'm almost certain he was being sarcastic.
I guess even lower than 4-5 depending on the other settings could improve the image. I’m fine with 2/3 I guess? Too bright above?

PS why am I a gold member out of nowhere now lol

Last edited:
Pray its fixed by launch because anyone with any actual true "feeling" for games can feel it. It's in a terrible state which for some reason is being completely overlooked.

this is performance mode.

Denchy, it really is weird man, I keep reading opinions and articles about how "next-gen" and "impressive" the whole thing is - it's like they haven't noticed the 20fps (at best) Eikon fight
OLED owners, I highly recommend HGIG with 4-5 brightness setting. See before and after. The HDR is fantastic.

UoV83Jj.jpg

2Hejl4n.jpg

I'm almost certain he was being sarcastic.

Chief, from you pictures at least I cannot see any difference whatsoever ...

It's the goddamned framerate that's the real problem here, not the picture luminosity...

Cheers

Lokaum D+

I wonder if all these ppl complaining about FF16 frame rate wll complain about Starfield 30fps only

Last edited:

Shifty1897

IMO lore-wise it would make sense that the king would marry a relative to ensure the bloodline has the strongest chance of birthing a dominant, which is the whole reason they're royals in the first place.

Grildon Tundy

Gold Member
I had zero interest in this game, but the demo won me over. Loving the story and the relationships between the characters.

I felt like an actual hero when the soldiers are recounting your Mongol fight.

And if Final Fantasy is defined by going on epic adventures in magical lands with incredibly good-looking people, this one is going to fit right in

Edited to hide a minor spoiler that I'm pretty sure prompted Faust Faust 's post below

Last edited:
Top Bottom