• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FINAL FANTASY XVI | Prologue DEMO

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
No spoilers folks. No matter how minor they may be.
foot-down-putting-my-foot-down.gif

Hugare

No spoilers folks. No matter how minor they may be.
Sorry, Faust

I had zero interest in this game, but the demo won me over. Loving the story and the relationships between the characters.

I felt like an actual hero when the soldiers are recounting your Mongol fight.

And if Final Fantasy is defined by going on epic adventures in magical lands with incredibly good-looking people, this one is going to fit right in

Edited to hide a minor spoiler that I'm pretty sure prompted @Faust 's post below

Actually, it was mine

I'll save it for the spoiler thread (if someone makes one)

Last edited:

CrustyBritches

Gold Member
Also performance mode is the way to go imo even with the drops the combat fluidity and temporal resolution of vfx is much more appreciable. It has such a filmic look to it I can't really explain better. I sincerely hope DF does a deep dive of the tech with Square Enix upon release.
Agreed. My perception is that anytime the camera is moving you're going to have a cleaner image quality in Performance, despite Graphics having higher res. I don't know if it's simply a product of the frame rate, meaning the motion blur strength is the same in both modes, but personally the motion blur is overpowering in Graphics Mode. This goes in line with what you're mentioning about the effects quality having I guess what you might say is superior temporal clarity at higher frame rate.

A video to show what I mean...

Stills from the comparison...
Graphics:
FF-Motion-Compare1-Zoom.jpg

Performance:
FF-Motion-Compare1-Zoom2.jpg

FF-Motion-Compare1.jpg

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
I definitely enjoyed that demo but do you think there will be much character building or RPG choices (not story but gameplay wise)?

From trailers, absolutely. You can use 3 eikonic abilities and in trailers, we see 6 eikons alone (who knows if there is more past that). You can equip 2 abilities for each of the 3 total eikon slots. So 6 abilities. You can also level/master said abilities that allow you to use them on other equipped eikons. So you could use Ifrit with Titan abilities if you wanted.

That is just from trailers and the demo.

Danjin44

I definitely enjoyed that demo but do you think there will be much character building or RPG choices (not story but gameplay wise)?
If you looks at Dragon Quest XI Skill three the MC can equip multiple weapons class and you unlock abilities for each weapon class.
Ol6QSlwaHeVfmskNRWtceZ8FVjHJ7l53NLXoewxQPF8.jpg

Final Fantasy XVI works same way, Eikons are treated as weapons which can unlock new abilities for each of them.
potential-spoilers-yoship-accidentally-showed-a-glimpse-of-v0-44oc8w41o1qa1.jpg

Doomtrain

It seems like Eikons essentially function like Jobs do in FFIII/V/Tactics. I’m hoping we also get some level of variety with them, i.e. having some that are offensive, some that are defensive, some that focus more on magic or buffs, etc.

Danjin44

It seems like Eikons essentially function like Jobs do in FFIII/V/Tactics. I’m hoping we also get some level of variety with them, i.e. having some that are offensive, some that are defensive, some that focus more on magic or buffs, etc.
The Eikon for Titan abilities isn't exactly that? he has defensive moves like block and perry, while close gab with phoenix and grab smaller enemies with Garuda.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
  • Very surprised how mature the writing was, avoids the J-RPG convention of over-explaining everything 30 times in case you fell asleep. Good Game of Thrones/Witcher dark fantasy vibes.

Thats probably cuz FFXVI was performed in English first by theatre actors (Japanese players get dubbed performances this time). The story was written first in Japanese of course but the actual script is penned for English performance & sensibilities.

Doomtrain

The Eikon for Titan abilities isn't exactly that? he has defensive moves like block and perry, while close gab with phoenix and grab smaller enemies with Garuda.

That could very well be. I noticed Titan’s block for sure. I might need to check out the full kits for Titan and Garuda again to see what other goodies they have.

rofif

Banned
Agreed. My perception is that anytime the camera is moving you're going to have a cleaner image quality in Performance, despite Graphics having higher res. I don't know if it's simply a product of the frame rate, meaning the motion blur strength is the same in both modes, but personally the motion blur is overpowering in Graphics Mode. This goes in line with what you're mentioning about the effects quality having I guess what you might say is superior temporal clarity at higher frame rate.

A video to show what I mean...

Stills from the comparison...

Most games with motion blur adjust shutter speed based of framerate.
When I had 240hz monitor, doom 2016 was a great motion blur test.
60fps with motion blur looked exactly the same as 240hz without motion blur (feel aside obviously).
The slower fps, the bigger gaps there are to be "filled" by the blur. Each frame at 30fps, should contain 33ms of movement.
Maybe even a bit more to avoud judder on oled.

Non oled users might 100% be better off with a lighter motion blur at 30fps that is presented here.
but as selfish oled user, I think they made the right choice for it at 30fps minus the blur around character edges. This is clearly an unwanted artefact

rofif

Banned
ok I have a question.
Are Dominants/Eikons are just pokemon/dumb animals ?!
Or gods doing "the job" because they get something out of it?

If the answer is a spoiler exclusive to ff16, dont answer it

Yoboman

Gold Member
ok I have a question.
Are Dominants/Eikons are just pokemon/dumb animals ?!
Or gods doing "the job" because they get something out of it?

If the answer is a spoiler exclusive to ff16, dont answer it
They are transformations. It seems like the ability to do that runs in bloodlines, so those bloodlines have basically become the royalty

Sensei

Some details about the New Game+ and the Final Fantasy difficulty.

There are a few minor spoilers related to some new enemies and a new mid-game area

Edit: an interesting quote from the accompanying article

Takai tells us that there is also a mode called Ultimaniac, which is even more difficult than Final Fantasy Mode. For players who are up to the challenge, Arcade Mode offers a leaderboard for this difficulty too.

"It's so difficult that I'm not even sure if I can beat the game on that difficulty myself," admits Takai. "But if you're a die-hard action game fan, it might be a welcome challenge."

Second edit: apparently the reviews embargo lifts on June 21st.

Last edited:

Certinty

Thought the demo was better than any of the linear second half of 15, so that’s good.

Biggest complaint is how long the boss battles were, all should have easily been halved in time. Besides that, too many cutscenes I suppose.

Lokaum D+

Thought the demo was better than any of the linear second half of 15, so that’s good.

Biggest complaint is how long the boss battles were, all should have easily been halved in time. Besides that, too many cutscenes I suppose.
Long ?

FF16 Morbol Boss : 6 min first playthrough
FF7R Scorpion Sentinel : at least 10 minutes first playthrough ( i m not counting cutscenes mid fight, with cutscenes is at least 15 min )

U guys are just complaing for the sake of it.

Last edited:

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit

You can easily kill them faster with understanding teh combat system. Also every boss in FF7R lasted longer than any of the bosses in FFXVI.

skit_data

Just preordered the game, I feel confident enough it will be a great game to do so. It's the second time ever I preorder a game without waiting for reviews.
The only other time I did was with Returnal and that was my personal GOTY and so far the best exclusive game released since PS5s launch IMO.

I'm pretty certain this game will become a strong contender for that top spot if it stays as consistently strong throughout the whole game.

Edit: Oh alright, it apparently has NG+ as well. Glorious.

Last edited:

Quantum253

The problem is HGIG I read that when not properly supported and rarely is makes everything muted. So keep HGIG and go to Ps5 hdr settings. Don’t follow what Sony suggests to do but instead do this:
Then switch permantely from HGIG to DTM on. Launch the game and lower brightness from ingame hdr menu to 3 or 2 depending on your liking

Well crap, I know it's a late response. Sat down to get some that HDR goodness in the demo and I don't see hgig or dynamic tone mapping on the LG B6 model (it's probably a little to old for that). Might be time to retire it and get a newer set.

Last edited:

Perfo

Thirteen flew over the cuckoo's nest
This game is really winning everyone wow just wow. A close friend of mine which dislikes FF since the release of X tried it and preordered it the moment it ended lol. The way he talks about it. Hyped as shit 😂❤️‍🔥

Danjin44

This game is really winning everyone wow just wow. A close friend of mine which dislikes FF since the release of X tried it and preordered it the moment it ended lol. The way he talks about it. Hyped as shit 😂❤️‍🔥
To me this was another case of people quickly jumping to conclusions and go full on hate boner without any logic and reason.

And people never learn because same shit is happening with Armoured Core VI and crying over noting.

Last edited:

boomcrab

Just tried the Eikon Challlenge mode. Please tell me that stupid ass dog isn’t going to be with us the entire game. It might actually be a dealbreaker for me.
Been reading the theory that Torgal is actually the eikon/summon Carbuncle. Little diamond shape on the forehead might be the most glaring clue. Plus they keep showing his face up close and do a little foreshadowing with the whole "he's going to be a good hound one day" Could be interesting. Also how could you not like that little guy?!

Teslerum

curiosity-attention.gif
I don't even remotely know why this is such a big deal or why a GoT comparison is necessary.

Yes, cousins fucked all the time, especially among nobility where close circles are kept. It's sill a thing too in certain countries.

This isn't special. This doesn't even come close to brother and sister like in GoT.

(Maybe there's some brotherly incest stuff going on later in the game, but that particular example is stupid to make a big deal off)

Last edited:
Top Bottom