• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FINAL FANTASY XVI | Prologue DEMO

It’s XIV’s engine, heavily upgraded.

Note that the FFXIV 7.0 graphics upgrade is coming next year. The work began on upgrading the assets around the time FFXVI was pretty much done. Various features made their way into XIV‘s engine, likely for testing purposes. NPC combat scripting, dynamic resolution support, the list goes on.

If you look closely, you can spot some of the limitations of XIV’s engine in the trailers.
This game has RT, so maybe we can hope the new engine they are adding for the next expansion will also add RT support to FFXIV

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
“THERE IS ONLY ONE EIKON OF FIRE”

I mean by the end of the demo he’s not wrong

Animated GIF

Counters you are talking about Eikon counters?

I still can’t quite get the parry system down. The timeline seems excruciatingly narrow
Yes, counters with the Eikon abilities.

The parry window isn't really that small I practiced with the gigas, dragoon, and morbol. You want to swing right before they swing. Not before you get hit. Like you are interrupting their actual swing.

Bartski

Gold Member
Emo haired 15 year old protagonist talks and sounds like he's 40 and the game chugs to what feels like sub 20 fps in quality mode during Eikon fight but overall I really liked it.
As someone totally oblivious to FF I think this could be when I join the party.

DelireMan7

This is great. And rings of easy mode also.
I am so happy not every dev is going for "games have to be super hard" thing like elden ring.

Hogwarts was one of best experiences I had this year. The combat was super fun to chain combos and it's a super easy game. Game dont have to be painfully hard to be fun and rewarding
Agreed.

I personally like some challenges but the rings are a nice idea for those you want an easier time. In the eikonic challenge, the dodge ring is equipped by default and I got annoyed by the "R1" popping in every 10 seconds.

The idea to use gear to adjust the difficulty is interesting since it will restrict access to some gears and might force players with rings doing choice.

Game is definitely about spectacle above challenge. And quite a spectacle it is !

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Hoping performance mode is fixed for launch as I've got my cheap copy turning up. If its not I'll just hold on for a bit and then if its not fixed I'll just sell it and wait for PC.

CrustyBritches

Gold Member
Made a video with both the Stillwind exploration and battle themes mixed into a single track...

P.S.- It's probably been mentioned, but in case it wasn't...to enter Photomode you hit start, go to attributes, and then press the touchpad.

Last edited:

Rush2112

Banned
There's actually a fan who correctly predicted the demo story months ago. He has also predicted the whole plot including every boss and level ranges as well as locations on the map.

Last edited:

GymWolf

Gold Member
You sound very picky.
Motion blur is very good in 30fps mode. Would look like a juddery mess without it.

Did you enjoy it regardless?
Blur in the quality mode was absolutely fucking terrible dude, everytime you move the camera the game turns into a blurry shit, one of the most aggressive blur i ever seen in recent years, straigh up disgusting for people who love clean iq.

Last edited:

rofif

Banned
Blur in the quality mode was absolutely fucking terrible dude, everytime you move the camera the game turns into a blurry shit, one of the most aggressive blur i ever seen in recent years, straigh up disgusting for people who love clean iq.
It’s great. I love motion blur and this is good quality

GymWolf

Gold Member
It’s great. I love motion blur and this is good quality
You should try smoking salvia divinorum 50x potency if you like seeing the world smeared in shit everytime you move your head.

Arguably the best 30 sec effect drug i ever tried.

Last edited:
Do we really need a youtuber's opinion when we have demo we can play and judge it ourselves?

I gave the demo a second playthrough to try it in Latin American Spanish. As someone who grew up having to learn English to play his RPGs in the SNES and PS1 days, you can't believe how happy it makes me that Square Enix took the time and care to create a Latin American dub. However, I regret to say that even if it is a good dub work, it falls very short from the English voiceover. Some voices are great, even from some known voice actors, but others just don't work at all (like the one they used with the man that points his finger at the invited King at the start of the game). I insist on how glad I am I have the choice of playing a Final Fantasy game spoken in my native language, but the English voice acting is superb, better than the Japanese VO in my opinion.

Curiously, I think the same about Final Fantasy XII, where the English VO far exceeds the Japanese one. And FFXVI has a lot in common with FFXII.

Last edited:

rofif

Banned
You should try smoking salvia divinorum 50x potency if you like seeing the world smeared in shit everytime you move your head.

Arguably the best 30 sec effect drug i ever tried.
You might not like motion blur but it is a saving grace for motion.
Makes motion look good at 30fps and saves oled from judder

Honestly...this was amazing. The story actually seems great for the first time in a main FF game since X (didn't care for XII. can't even remember what it was about lmao)
After the demo, if this reviews well i can imagine PS5 is getting a system seller on their hands for sure.

rofif

Banned
Maybe a good implementation of it, not turning the whole image into a blurry mess like ff16.
Like it or not, if they didn't do that, My eyes would hurt form the judder.
It's that or juddery mess, so I don't mind.
They could add an option for lcd users maybe

To me, this demo felt like a 7th gen throwback in a lot of ways, and I love that. The big bombastic setpieces, strong emphasis on story, even the “cinematic strikes” or whatever (QTE’s lol). “Emergent” gameplay and player freedom is all the rage these days, but I don’t want every game to be like that. Sometimes I’m in the mood for a more directed experience. Sometimes I just want to press a button and watch cool shit happen. Not that the game is mindless or anything. From what I’ve seen the combat is actually quite deep.

I dunno, just felt refreshing to me. The tropes that everyone bitched about in 2010 (linear, cinematic, etc) are cool again. For me at least.
Am I dreaming? What games have this aside from TOTK? And it isn't even close to the scale of Deus Ex OG emergence!

Last edited:
Since the game has leaked, are there any reports about the retail version running better than the demo ? For me, performance mode was dog shit due to the constant fluctuations and mid-40fps average with the quality mode also being terrible due to the heavy motion blur and stuttery effect since i'm playing on an OLED.

I really, really hope the final/retail version fares (much) better performance-wise

X-Wing

Finished the second part of the demo. The game does not only look impressive the story is also shaping up to be really good.
Combat is incredibly satisfying.
It's shaping up to be my favorite Final Fantasy of all time.

rofif

Banned
Since the game has leaked, are there any reports about the retail version running better than the demo ? For me, performance mode was dog shit due to the constant fluctuations and mid-40fps average with the quality mode also being terrible due to the heavy motion blur and stuttery effect since i'm playing on an OLED.

I really, really hope the final/retail version fares (much) better performance-wise
Try looking at quality motion blur as a positive thing which it is. Otherwise thre would be judder

Top Bottom