• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Financial Times Rumour: Nintendo to produce 18 million Switch units in FY18

Neoxon

Switch has

Zelda
Mario Kart
ARMS
Minecraft
Splatoon 2
Mario + Rabbids
Fire Emblem Warriors
Xenoblade 2
Mario Odyssey
Monster Hunter
Dragon Quest (Maybe holiday)
Pokémon (maybe)

And that's not counting likely-but-unannounced games like Animal Crossing, Mario Maker, and Smash.

The Switch will be successful for Nintendo
FTFY

KingBroly

Banned
Mario x Rabbids has been added and two days ago MHXX to this years lineup. Does Nintendo have room to slip it into this calendar year?

Next Spring's lineup seems like it could also be insane for Switch, at least in the West.

Assume MH XX comes to Switch/3DS around then

MAYBE Smash Switch as well

I'd like to think Retro's game is somewhere in there too

Next christmas will be a historical landmark for Nintendo and Switch. Really happy because hardware is excellent and the line-up stellar

Add 2 Sonic games and its almost a dream machine for me lol

Switch hardware production isn't going to peak in year 1.

They're going all-out this year. With Fire Emblem, Smash, Kirby, Animal Crossing and maybe something new, they'll have a solid line-up for year 2, but I wonder if those games will move another 18+ million units. But like I said, Smash (and most likely Pokémon! Why did I forget that one?) will give year 2 sales a significant boost. And Nintendo's legacy sales are generally good too. 18 million is a lot tho!

Neoxon

I don't see the problem if Nintendo keep release one big game every month.
But the Switch missing out on games like Destiny 2, Battlefront 2, MvCI, Injustice 2, Tekken 7, Overwatch, CoD, & Assassin's Creed isn't gonna help the Switch.

I'm not saying that it'll be the Switch's doom, as I do believe that the Switch will continue to succeed. But the lack of major third party support may hold it back.

Nightbird

Nintendo really struck hold with the Switch. The only question now is if they can the goodwill going.

E3 is going to be very interesting.

Do we have a new "it prints money" gif?

This means I won't get a cheap(er) Switch for Xmas, sad!
But good for Nintendo and it should ease them into letting the 3DS die and concentrate all their firepower onto one platform, good times ahead!!

Neoxon

Mario x Rabbids has been added and two days ago MHXX to this years lineup. Does Nintendo have room to slip it into this calendar year?
Pokémon hasn't launched outside of the holiday season for years (especially since mainline games started to launch around the same time frame in all regions, give or take a few weeks). It's entirely possible that we could get Mario Odyssey & Stars (if it's real) on the same day before Black Friday.

But the Switch missing out on games like Destiny 2, Battlefront 2, MvCI, Injustice 2, Tekken 7, CoD, & Assassin's Creed isn't gonna help the Switch.

I'm not saying that it'll be the Switch's doom, as I do believe that the Switch will continue to succeed. But the lack of major third party support may hold it back.

The stance of third-parties may change when they see results like this. Let's hope Nintendo doesn't fuck up their online service, because that will be a major factor for online multiplayer-focused games too. Switch ports may be downgrades, but the portability may convince people to still get the Switch version.

sphinx

the piano man
It's power downgrade is not easy for devs to support

Nintendo Switch will never have games like Horizon or the Order but for all those other games that are PS360 games with a "next-gen" coat of paint, those will make it to the switch,

They're going all-out this year. With Fire Emblem, Smash, Kirby, Animal Crossing and maybe something new, they'll have a solid line-up for year 2, but I wonder if those games will move another 18+ million units. But like I said, Smash (and most likely Pokémon! Why did I forget that one?) will give year 2 sales a significant boost. And Nintendo's legacy sales are generally good too. 18 million is a lot tho!

If Switch momentum continues, its second year will see even bigger numbers. Nintendo will be able to produce more units globally and games such as Animal Crossing, Pokemon, Fire Emblem, Smash Bros., 2D Mario, and others will be likely candidates for release. And many of 2017's biggest Switch games will be evergreen releases, with continued sales for new owners throughout the life of the console.

Neoxon

The stance of third-parties may change when they see results like this. Let's hope Nintendo doesn't fuck up their online service, because that will be a major factor for online multiplayer-focused games too. Switch ports may be downgrades, but the portability may convince people to still get the Switch version.
True, but the way Destiny & MvCI's teams responded to the Switch seems like they don't have any plans to bother with the system for their respective games. Same for Overwatch, but they didn't necessarily laugh at the idea like the MvCI producer did.

Galava

Upping to 18M means that they are very optimistic about the reception of MHXX and that they might have another couple of unkown bombs ready to drop before march 2018.

inb4 pokémon, metroid

Eolz

Damn. Hope for them that the demand will stay like this, good comeback from the wiiu.

I bet Skyrim gets treated as a big release too and I think it could do pretty well.

I definitely see that happening. It's a big deal for both companies after all, and the portability is actually a great selling point.

Neoxon

Upping to 18M means that they are very optimistic about the reception of MHXX and that they might have another couple of unkown bombs ready to drop before march 2018.

inb4 pokémon, metroid
MH is definitely gonna move units in Japan, same for Pokémon if that's actually real.

Aleh

Pokémon hasn't launched outside of the holiday season for years (especially since mainline games started to launch around the same time frame in all regions, give or take a few weeks). It's entirely possible that we could get Mario Odyssey & Stars (if it's real) on the same day before Black Friday.

And besides, Pokémon is almost a yearly franchise. What would holding it back even accomplish? Let its games flow.

If Switch momentum continues, its second year will see even bigger numbers. Nintendo will be able to produce more units globally and games such as Animal Crossing, Pokemon, Fire Emblem, Smash Bros., 2D Mario, and others will be likely candidates for release.

I forgot Pokémon.
All 3DS Pokémon games sold more than 13 million copies.
That series has the ability to literally double the supply. Although Smash definitely is big, I wonder how many people who would buy a Switch for Smash won't have bought a Switch by then already for one of the other titles for the system. Same goes for 2D Mario and Fire Emblem. Animal Crossing is a unique audience. It could attract a lot of casual/non-core gamers to the Switch, especially if they coincide the Switch release with a mobile game that can exchange data with the Switch game.

But without Pokémon, I can't see another 18 million happening in FY2019.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free

Its possible that Stars and Odyssey hit in November if Stars is a 3DS/Switch release. We know they try to release a big handheld and home console game every November.... so it could fit the bill because they will wanna sell 3DS/Pokemon bundles this Holiday season as well.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Switch has

Zelda
Mario Kart
Arms
Minecraft
Splatoon 2
Mario and Rabbids
Fire Emblem Warriors
Xenoblade 2
Mario Odyssey
Monster Hunter
Dragon Quest (Maybe holiday)
Pokemon (maybe)

And that's not counting announced games like Animal Crossing, Mario Maker, and Smash.

The Switch will be successful for Nintendo

When has Nintendo ever ever really failed with a handheld (minus 3DS's first six months perhaps... and even then it was not really failure...)?

Nintendo Switch is taking the place of both Nintendo's next generation handheld (at least until Nintendo announces a different 3DS successor) as well as Nintendo's next generation console.

Somebody could be evil and state Switch should be having DS + Wii numbers to be truly successful ;)... or at least a "mid point between GameCube and Wii" + DS numbers.

Seriously, it is interesting to track Switch + 2/3DS numbers totals against their previous console + handheld numbers.

watershed

Banned
Given the Switch software line up, I can totally see something close to 18 mil being possible. They better have stock ready for summer, especially in Japan.

gogogow

True, but the way Destiny & MvCI's teams responded to the Switch seems like they don't have any plans to bother with the system for their respective games. Same for Overwatch, but they didn't necessarily laugh at the idea like the MvCI producer did.

Marvel vs Capcom Infinite? I don't see anything special about the graphics. Just a ton of CA.

randomscribbles

Neo Member

Those games weren't developed with a switch version in mind. Now that the switch exists and has made an impact in the market, I could see plenty of games being designed from the ground up with a more dramatic graphical scaling structure in mind, ranging from switch to scorpio in quality but all the same content. I mean, scorpio is as big a leap from XB1 as XB1 is to switch. Devs are already going to have to make their software flexible.

If the thing sells, I bet they'll change their mind.
MvCI isn't a service-based game and it's built in Unreal Engine 4. They'll probably have to downgrade visuals to make it run properly on the Switch, but if there's an audience, I think they'll do it.
Destiny 2 and Overwatch, however, are service-based games for multiple years. Not only do they have to port (and most likely downgrade) the game, they'll also have to port all the content that they'll add in the years to the Switch version. They have 3 versions to support now. Adding Switch, that would increase the porting work by 33%, which is quite significant. So it's really important for those games that there's an audience on the platform of considerable size, and they won't run into technical problems in a couple of years (maybe because they want to make PS4 Pro quality computers the base level for example.)

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.

There will also be bundles, price drops, revisions, etc.

Nintendo has a lot of cards to play

Fantastical

Death Prophet
If Pokemon Stars is this year for Switch...

Boom.gif

I really think Nintendo should pull no punches. If Switch is handheld+console the lineup should reflect that. For years I've dreamed of a single platform for Nintendo's studios so that the lineup would be incredible. If they can stack 2018 as well it will be huge.

Top Bottom