• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Financial Times Rumour: Nintendo to produce 18 million Switch units in FY18

Neoxon

Marvel vs Capcom Infinite? I don't see anything special about the graphics. Just a ton of CA.
If the thing sells, I bet they'll change their mind.
MvCI isn't a service-based game and it's built in Unreal Engine 4. They'll probably have to downgrade visuals to make it run properly on the Switch, but if there's an audience, I think they'll do it.
Destiny 2 and Overwatch, however, are service-based games for multiple years. Not only do they have to port (and most likely downgrade) the game, they'll also have to port all the content that they'll add in the years to the Switch version. They have 3 versions to support now. Adding Switch, that would increase the porting work by 33%, which is quite significant. So it's really important for those games that there's an audience on the platform of considerable size, and they won't run into technical problems in a couple of years (maybe because they want to make PS4 Pro quality computers the base level for example.)
I'm referring to this.
I was told they have hit 1080p/60 on all versions, but they're still in the optimization process. No answers on whether Pro/Scorpio will look better or different. Kind of laughed off a Switch version but said there's nothing to announce at this time (don't get any hopes up, it seemed pretty clearly to be a no.) The producer told me the number one thing they want to avoid is another Moridoom scenario where the game stagnates because of issues they didn't foresee but players found immediately.

Vic

Please help me with my bad english
But the Switch missing out on games like Destiny 2, Battlefront 2, MvCI, Injustice 2, Tekken 7, Overwatch, CoD, & Assassin's Creed isn't gonna help the Switch.

I'm not saying that it'll be the Switch's doom, as I do believe that the Switch will continue to succeed. But the lack of major third party support may hold it back.
The Wii and DS became sales phenomenons in spite of receiving great western AAA support and the fact that the Switch will have the full backing of Nintendo's software shops differenciate the platform even more that the two aforementioned systems.

It's Nintendo console/handheld titles + Japanese publishers (by default) + indies and throw in there some, not all AAA third parties games.

ggx2ac

If true, increased shipments would have to be happening soon. If it's not June then at least July for Splatoon 2.

18 million in production is a lot and even half that is enough for the holiday period.

There will also be bundles, price drops, revisions, etc.

Nintendo has a lot of cards to play

Bundles and revisions could definitely work.
I don't see why they should drop the price if the Switch still sells really well (say, 14 million units). 18 million hasn't become the new magical number between success and failure for them.

Salvadora

Increased production will certainly be seen sooner rather than later.

They wouldn't have announced two significant bundles (Splatoon 2 & Monster Hunter) if they didn't have the hardware to sell.

That will have been factored into the pipeline.

Oregano

Third parties set their own release dates, don't they?

Minecraft being sandwiched by Mario Kart and Arms and Monster Hunter launching a month after Splatoon aren't coincidences. They would have co-ordinated with Nintendo.

Expect Skyrim to get the same treatment in the west.

randomscribbles

Neo Member
Isn't that what happened with the wii? Third parties stopped supporting it? Can't really remember now.

It is what happened, but it was because a huge chunk of the wii sales were blue ocean customers who didn't transition into becoming traditional gamers, so software sales shrank as they treated it as a fad and moved on after the first few years. Switch isn't primed for that problem though. Just look at the flagship games- Wii Sports vs BOTW. Huge difference in target demo. People who are buying switches aren't doing it for the gimmick.

Salvadora

Minecraft being sandwiched by Mario Kart and Arms and Monster Hunter launching a month after Splatoon aren't coincidences. They would have co-ordinated with Nintendo.

Expect Skyrim to get the same treatment in the west.
Exactly.

It's mutually beneficial for Nintendo and third parties to coordinate releases.

Zedark

It is what happened, but it was because a huge chunk of the wii sales were blue ocean customers who didn't transition into becoming traditional gamers, so software sales shrank as they treated it as a fad and moved on after the first few years. Switch isn't primed for that problem though. Just look at the flagship games- Wii Sports vs BOTW. Huge difference in target demo. People who are buying switches aren't doing it for the gimmick.
I would say the gimmick (portability) is bringing in people, but the gimmick itself is much more "red ocean" than Wii's.

Joey Fox

Self-Actualized Member
3rd parties never support it. At least none that I can remember.

People act in their best interests, based on the conditions and knowledge of the time. In this case, studios who target a certain graphics level or portability will gravitate to the Switch.

Remember, as a portable system that's actually socially cool, word of mouth and eyes on advertising for fun games can go up big time. Also more potential for the games to be stickily addictive like mobile, with better graphics and controls.

Big opportunities.

gamz

Plus, it's handheld and Nintendo knows and excels in that market.

I'll probably end up buying one this year, if I can find one.

Otnopolit

Snake Pass is a great example of devs being able to scale down what they had in Unreal 4 to support the Switch. It did not take very long at all for them to get the game up and running.

E3 is so hype right now. They must have some pretty big guns in the armory.

oneils

Every third party supported it, save for a handful.

The system received strong third party support throughout the majority of its life.

Except for EA, right? And their unprecedented partnership? Maybe that's what I'm remembering. Or was that wii u? Lol, my memory is dogshit so ill bow out.

gogogow

Every third party supported it, save for a handful.

The system received strong third party support throughout the majority of its life.

But what big AAA 3rd party games came out for the Wii? I honestly don't remember?

OrbitalBeard said "strong third party support", which means it got a lot of third party games. They could be AA or AAA games or anything inbetween and you change it into "AAA 3rd party games"................

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
Isn't that what happened with the wii? Third parties stopped supporting it? Can't really remember now.
Switch isn't the Wii though (even though your statement is kinda wrong since the Wii never did get big AAA Ps360 games to begin with).

We will all be smarter after e3 and what to expect from Switch.

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
So I should be able to get one next year no problems? I'll take it.

oneils

Switch isn't the Wii though (even though your statement is kinda wrong since the Wii never did get big AAA Ps360 games to begin with).

We will all be smarter after e3 and what to expect from Switch.

So your first statement is kinda weird isn't? "That's how this works..." except that one time. Confusing.

ethomaz

Banned
First the title made me confused because FY18 is the period of Apr 2018 to Mar 2019... so next fiscal year.

But I understand they are talking about FY17 (the current one) and the title is a mistake only.

Said that if Nintendo is really working for that they will change the 10m forecast in Q1 FY17 to be posted in July... if that didn't happen this rumor is basically false.

Let's see how it turn out... for now they are following the 10m plan.

Fixed. Next time take that extra excited breath before slamming the submit key, yo. And what's this? Missing the link in the OP at first, too? You have one job, Zedark. ONE. JOB.
Ohhhh it was you :p

It is FY17 not FY18. ONE. JOB. kidding :)

gtj1092

When has Nintendo ever ever really failed with a handheld (minus 3DS's first six months perhaps... and even then it was not really failure...)?

Nintendo Switch is taking the place of both Nintendo's next generation handheld (at least until Nintendo announces a different 3DS successor) as well as Nintendo's next generation console.

Somebody could be evil and state Switch should be having DS + Wii numbers to be truly successful ;)... or at least a "mid point between GameCube and Wii" + DS numbers.

Seriously, it is interesting to track Switch + 2/3DS numbers totals against their previous console + handheld numbers.

Yeah it's weird that switch sales are only compared to wii u when it is also nintendo's new handheld. Guess it makes the numbers look insane when you compare it to the failure of wii u?

ByWatterson

Yeah... That's how it works.
3rdparty support will get smaller the better the system performs.

It's what happened to the Wii. Not impossible here, though I hope it builds a huge library of smaller titles. The problem is they're asking developers make games that are not on other platforms. Tall order, regardless of install base.

Mithos

The original question wasn't specifically about AAA titles though.

No but that's probably one of those unspoken things people actually mean when they say something like that.
I mean it's not really 720p or 1080p resolution most people mean when they say they want HD graphics either, 8bit Super Mario Bros in 1080p is HD, but its not Super Mario Odyssey "HD" so to speak.

Vic

Please help me with my bad english
Yeah it's weird that switch sales are only compared to wii u when it is also nintendo's new handheld. Guess it makes the numbers look insane when you compare it to the failure of wii u?
It's not priced and sold has a handheld though.

Guess Pokémon Stars and Animal Crossing Switch are coming pretty soon ;-) You would have some strong titles for many types of gamers : longtime fans (Zelda and 3D Mario), niche gamers (Xenoblade 2 and Fire Emblem) competitive online gamers (Arms and Splatoon 2), family/female gamers (Pokemon and AC). I think the last section is the more lacking right now so if they remedy that...

ethomaz

Banned
Did you not understand what I wrote?

FY3/2018 means fiscal year ending March 2018.
I'm not native English so I didn't :D
I'm not used to this term.

The current fiscal year is FY2017 that is what the OP is talking about.

The OP is wrong.

Top Bottom