• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fire Emblem Fates' localization doesn't have the petting minigame

Status
Not open for further replies.

BY2K

Membero Americo
Probably referring to this email which doesn't say much besides that no censorship has been announced yet. And that could still be fake.

zREPkEm.png

that's a badass last name, though.

Head Pixel

Neo Member
I've only played the FE games on the GBA, and loved those games.

What's going on with the series now? At what point did the tone/style shift to include these more controversial systems/dialog branches? Or have the games always been censored through localization and I've just been ignorant to it?

I also definitely don't remember the level of skimpy "armor" and breasts in my face from the older games that I saw in the article screenshots...

What coherent creative visions are we talking about here? The fact that Nintendo added all of this stuff to FE shows that they really don't care about fan's romanticized views about a video game series.

Reading stuff like "Fire Emblem shouldn't be this" and "I don't like the way the series is going" gets old.

I honestly feel like this is a lazy post. The process of creating a game is always going to some combination of the following:

1.) A central person or persons in charge who serves as the main visionary(ies).

2.) A committee of corporate higher-ups with the ability to override and suggest goals and changes.

3.) People on the development team whose ideas may or may not work their way up to the director.

4.) Anyone from groups 1 - 3 looking at community feedback in an attempt to understand what will and won't make the product more commercially successful.

Mind you, I get that it can be egocentric for any one person who is not actually working on the game to pretend that their desires have to be placated above all else. It would be delusional of me to declare that petting has no place in Fire Emblem because I -- Steve Youngblood -- think it doesn't fit. I'm not an authority. There are far bigger Fire Emblem fans than me on the forum that are probably more deserving to have their voice heard than me.

But nevertheless, I'm a consumer of this product. They don't care about me as one consumer. But where my opinion falls in line with the various demographics that they can identify? They most definitely care. Ultimately, it's their call. You're right. Some speculation right now seems to indicate that even internally in Japan, this wasn't a runaway success of an idea. The dev teams were split on how far to take it. Reaction was mixed at best. Maybe they would have cut this type of feature from the next game anyway without needing my hot take on the issue.

But I think it's important to understand where the divide is. To me, what this mini-game represents is a further slide into making Fire Emblem more and more about relationships and romance because presumably they took from Awakenings success that people wanted this. As a consumer? All I can do is voice "no. I do not want this." That's not me having delusions of grandeur stating "I know what Fire Emblem is supposed to be and this isn't it." That's me saying "as a potential consumer of your next game, further moves to satiate the desires of people seeking relationship stuff in this series are going to alienate me."

And maybe they go down that path anyway. That's fine. I'm not important. People can want things I don't. It might lead to a more successful and arguably better product. But as long as we're having this discussion, people are going to voice their views.

Wouldn't it be funny if, after people cancelled their special editions, that it turns out the minigame was replaced with some new interaction system that is more interesting and features more dialog?

Busaiku

Wouldn't it be funny if, after people cancelled their special editions, that it turns out the minigame was replaced with some new interaction system that is more interesting and features more dialog?
I don't think anyone actually cancelled their special editions.
I imagine some people might've done the regular games, but if people went through the hassle of camping the special edition, they're probably committed.
Even if they don't play it themselves, they'd scalp it.

Dick Woolslayer can't be a real name.

It's less cool if you read it as Richard Wools-layer.

Considering that some people are flipping it for $300+, I don't think anyone is actually cancelling their order.

Draxal

But I think it's important to understand where the divide is. To me, what this mini-game represents is a further slide into making Fire Emblem more and more about relationships and romance because presumably they took from Awakenings success that people wanted this. As a consumer? All I can do is voice "no. I do not want this." That's not me having delusions of grandeur stating "I know what Fire Emblem is supposed to be and this isn't it." That's me saying "as a potential consumer of your next game, further moves to satiate the desires of people seeking relationship stuff in this series are going to alienate me."

Imho, the fire emblem fandom thrives on shipping.

The marriage/children system was started in four. Six was the first game you could chose the main protagonist's wife (in other games these were preset, and there's a default character for this role). In seven you could choose the mother of six's protagonist, and other important characters (or their fathers).

Even in 9/10 there's the whole Soren/Ike shipping fandom wars.

Now for the avatar self insert romance, the avatar just replaces the main character who was a generic 16-20 year old male in all of these games, you now have a choice of the main character's gender which makes the game more inclusive.

Imho, the fire emblem fandom thrives on shipping.

The marriage/children system was started in four. Six was the first game you could chose the main protaganist's wife. In seven you could choose the mother of six's protaganist, and other important characters (or their fathers).

Even in 9/10 there's the whole Soren/Ike shipping fandom wars.

Now for the avatar self insert romance, the avatar just replaces the main character who was a generic 16-20 year old male in all of these games, you now have a choice of the main character's gender which makes the game more inclusive.

Sure. But the question is "how far do you take that?" Also, some of these games were never properly released Stateside, so I haven't played them. I understand that undermines my credibility as a veteran fan, and that's fine. Really, I'm not being passive aggressive here. To be clear, I don't really mind the Support system in Awakenings. It's just that Fates is clearly trying to amp that up more.

And if people are sitting there saying "Yes please! More of that!" Then so be it. But me? Eh, Awakenings had about as much of it as I care to see.

Fandangox

I love the supports in FE, but they need to be well written, the support and base conversations on PoR were very well done, that game didn't have much emphasis on relationships like the games before or after it, so conversations didn't have to ultimately end on two characters just liking each other.

Having multiple possible scenarios where characters marry each other makes the writing take a hit cause you have create multiple ways for characters going from point A where they barely know each other or are just in friendly terms to point S where they are in love with each other in 3 conversations or less. Is not a very natural progression.

Even then, that's fine because it serves a gameplay purpose, as the marriage mechanic gives the player a second generation of characters that can be different depending on who was paired with who.

...except, it was hardly necessary in Awakening unless you played Lunatic because that game was one of the easiest fire emblems to cheese, the second generation was hardly needed for the player for progression, thus making the theory crafting impact smaller.

It'd work well if the'd force the player to use the second generation after a certain point, similar to how Genealogy of War did it, as it would make the mechanic have an actual consequence on how the game is played.

Draxal

Sure. But the question is "how far do you take that?" Also, some of these games were never properly released Stateside, so I haven't played them. I understand that undermines my credibility as a veteran fan, and that's fine. Really, I'm not being passive aggressive here. To be clear, I don't really mind the Support system in Awakenings. It's just that Fates is clearly trying to amp that up more.

And if people are sitting there saying "Yes please! More of that!" Then so be it. But me? Eh, Awakenings had about as much of it as I care to see.

It doesn't really undermine your credibility, unless you claim that it was never in the series before.

But the fact that the west started with the seventh game in the series can't be understated. Sentimental favorite for the Japanese fans is 3 (which was remade 11 Shadow Dragon and 12), a lot of the older fans love 4 (Sakurai basically said it was his favorite until Awakening).

What I'm trying to say is that there is a huge disconnect between the western fanbase and the Japanese fanbase, that is caused by this as the sentimental favorites in the west are not as big there (7 and 9). Hell, a huge part of Awakening's popularity in Japan was basically all the forced callbacks to 1/3 (Three is a remake of one with a brand new game attached as well).

What weird dating sim stuff? The confession scenes? Those can only happen once per playthrough, so...

There's also the hubba tester, the barracks, and the fact that you play as a self-insert that can romance everyone.

The game just dwells on romance alot in a dating sim like way. It's nothing like the other games, where characters usually confess and settle down after all the warring is done.

PK Gaming

I love the supports in FE, but they need to be well written, the support and base conversations on PoR were very well done, that game didn't have much emphasis on relationships like the games before or after it, so conversations didn't have to ultimately end on two characters just liking each other.

Having multiple possible scenarios where characters marry each other makes the writing take a hit cause you have create multiple ways for characters going from point A where they barely know each other or are just in friendly terms to point S where they are in love with each other in 3 conversations or less. Is not a very natural progression.

Even then, that's fine because it serves a gameplay purpose, as the marriage mechanic gives the player a second generation of characters that can be different depending on who was paired with who.

...except, it was hardly necessary in Awakening unless you played Lunatic because that game was one of the easiest fire emblems to cheese, the second generation was hardly needed for the player for progression, thus making the theory crafting impact smaller.

It'd work well if the'd force the player to use the second generation after a certain point, similar to how Genealogy of War did it, as it would make the mechanic have an actual consequence on how the game is played.

Supports were only really written well in PoR/RD (base conversations). They were pretty bland in the previous Fire Emblem games.

And no disrespect intended, but I think you're off base on the purpose of supports. Players didn't go out of their way to do them solely for child units, they did them for the various character interactions (which admittedly didn't have much depth, but were fairly entertaining). I also don't feel like any of the supports were constrained by marriage, considering how tacked-on/way out of left field they are. The A-rank felt like the proper conclusion to a particular relationship, while the S-rank was just gravy.

And if you're talking about necessity, it was hardly necessary to do anything beyond running a team filled Nosferatu/Sol users and trivializing the game. I mostly used the child units because I liked them.

21XX

Banned
I sincerely hope that those of you who are so up in arms over having a face petting feature removed from a game are also directing some of your energy toward caring about things that actually matter.

Things that don't involved anime pandering and scantily clad, underage-looking girls. Just to clarify.

I think the thing that bothers me about some of the supports in Awakening (and seems to continue in Fates) is how some of them don't even feel like 3 seperate events, but one event seperated into three supports.

I think the thing that bothers me about some of the supports in Awakening (and seems to continue in Fates) is how some of them don't even feel like 3 seperate events, but one event seperated into three supports.

Well they have to write a lot more stuff since there's alot more supports in Awakening versus previous games.

Lunar15

Eh, that's pretty much how they were in previous games. They might be 3 different "events", but it's all one single thread.

I'm gonna be honest: Support convos in previous games were never all that well written. There's only a handful that I really remember. But at the same time, they were such a minor and almost hidden thing back then, it felt special to get them.

The thing was, without marriage (that is, in games that aren't FE4) you never felt like a matchmaker. Sure, you could play that angle if you really wanted to in your fantasies, but ultimately you were just curious to see how these two characters played off each other. It was more like a touching little bonus for having two characters fight near each other. This "date game" feeling gets multiplied when you add in an avatar, because literally every man and woman can and will fall in love with the avatar.

The tone and focus has changed, that much is true. I think i'd feel better about it if they had retained base conversations. With so much focus on these zany casts, it always shocked me that they haven't brought it back. It was the best way to keep units relevant in a game with permadeath.

Korigama

There's also the hubba tester, the barracks, and the fact that you play as a self-insert that can romance everyone.

The game just dwells on romance alot in a dating sim like way. It's nothing like the other games, where characters usually confess and settle down after all the warring is done.
Except for Chrom anyway, provided you didn't pair him off with someone he reached S-rank with already (which can also go poorly if his choices had no affinity points with him, were already married, or dead, leading to random nameless villager girl instead).

PK Gaming

Robin and Sumia's supports are weird in how... normal they are. It's two people bonding over a shared interest in literature.

That one was great. I also really liked Robin & Virion's support

They're great when they explore aspects of characters that aren't immediately evident (like Virion being incredibly good at chess/reading people)

Greddleok

The posts I saw in the thread that read like this

"Keep this stuff out of my Fire Emblem"

Always crack me up. What makes people feel like they have some form of ownership over a IP? Just kinda crazy to me honestly.

The funny thing is, that's how a lot of gamergate supporters talk about games. "Keep your gay stuff out of my games."
"Keep your women out of my games."

Fandangox

Supports were only really written well in PoR/RD (base conversations). They were pretty bland in the previous Fire Emblem games.

And no disrespect intended, but I think you're off base on the purpose of supports. Players didn't go out of their way to do them solely for child units, they did them for the various character interactions (which admittedly didn't have much depth, but were fairly entertaining). I also don't feel like any of the supports were constrained by marriage, considering how tacked-on/way out of left field they are. The A-rank felt like the proper conclusion to a particular relationship, while the S-rank was just gravy.

And if you're talking about necessity, it was hardly necessary to do anything beyond running a team filled Nosferatu/Sol users and trivializing the game. I mostly used the child units because I liked them.

I think you are misunderstanding. I am not saying that was the purpose, I am saying that if the writing is going to take a hit for the sake of relationship I am fine with it because it at least serves a mechanic/gameplay purpose, my point is though, that it didn't really matter in the end because Awakening was really easy.

I don't even mind if some of the conversation within characters are poorly done as long as they are funny (Like Chrom and Sumia's whole pie thing) But I disagree, the fact that they HAVE to think of a way for various characters having to fall for each other is going to make the writing poorer because despite all the different starting points the different characters have, they all need to have the same goal regardless of how much sense it makes for then.

Like you said, PoR/RD did it best because aside from the supports there was also the base conversations which made the characters more integrated into the plot and the effects of the war.

NotLiquid

So is there now some doubt about the removal of the whole petting thing now? Or is actually gone?

While Kotaku is the only publication that reported on it (since they asked a PR rep about it), it hasn't been contested yet. Some bits and pieces of evidence imply it might still be intact but we won't know until we get some explicit words on it or until someone gets a hold of an advance/review copy.

Nothing has been officially confirmed by Nintendo.

While Kotaku is the only publication that reported on it (since they asked a PR rep about it), it hasn't been contested yet. Some bits and pieces of evidence imply it might still be intact but we won't know until we get some explicit words on it or until someone gets a hold of an advance/review copy.

Ah alright! I guess we'll know for sure when reviews copies go out, which i assume has to be next week or so?

PK Gaming

I don't even mind if some of the conversation within characters are poorly done as long as they are funny (Like Chrom and Sumia's whole pie thing) But I disagree, the fact that they HAVE to think of a way for various characters having to fall for each other is going to make the writing poorer because despite all the different starting points the different characters have, they all need to have the same goal regardless of how much sense it makes for then.

Like you said, PoR/RD did it best because aside from the supports there was also the base conversations which made the characters more integrated into the plot and the effects of the war.

I don't think that's the case though. The way I see it, the supports are written with a core idea in mind that get explored throughout ranks C-A, with marriage being very clearly added as an afterthought. A good example of this is, Robin x Sumia, where the S-rank flows fairly unnaturally from A, but ranks C-A has a consistent pace. It makes sense too, considering that characters who are married can still A-rank other characters.

I don't think marriage has a significant effect on how the generally supports play out, to be honest.

RM8

I probably have said "my Fire Emblem", "my Street Fighter" or whatever. Let me make it clear that I don't think I have ownership of any game series, lol, you're reading too much into that expression. FE doesn't belong to either crowd here, wether you love shipping or hate it. And yes, for some of us who got started on GBA, this element being pushed so hard still feels very alien. And seriously, one SFC game having marriage hardly means the series always had Awakening / Fates levels of in-game shipping.

Fandangox

I don't think that's the case though. The way I see it, the supports are written with a core idea in mind that get explored throughout ranks C-A, with marriage being very clearly added as an afterthought. A good example of this is, Robin x Sumia, where the S-rank flows fairly unnaturally from A, but ranks C-A has a consistent pace. It makes sense too, considering that characters who are married can still A-rank other characters.

I don't think marriage has a significant effect on how the generally supports play out, to be honest.

I guess that's true, but the unnatural jump from A to S is still pretty badly handled in most of the cases since they have to leave the options open for every character that hasn't achieved S rank with someone else.

Probably referring to this email which doesn't say much besides that no censorship has been announced yet. And that could still be fake.

zREPkEm.png

Yea this really confirms nothing. Ambiguous back peddling at least is a swing back in the right direction.

I still feel like being disturbed/offended by the inclusion of such a silly feature is a serious overreaction. Yeah it's kooky and weird, but you can easily encounter more suggestive content in other media during your day with little to no effort.

Honestly this is becoming Tumblr levels of "socially acceptable."

RM8

Okay, has anyone actually said "I'm offended by the rubbing minigame"? I don't think anyone has in this thread. The offended prude strawman is so popular in these threads, lol. "Nah, people can't possibly dislike this - they must feel offended by it which makes it easier for me to dismiss their opinion".

In other thread, after correcting a guy telling him that no, I'm not offended by this minigame, he literally told me "no, you're clearly offended by it!". Lol okay.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom