• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fire Emblem Fates' localization doesn't have the petting minigame

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nanashrew

Banned
Roy isn't great anyway. Him and Marth are constantly battling for worst lord from FE6-current at any rate. Not having blue hair is just another of Roy's failures :p.

Your even more useless then your Father. Sad truth my friend.

Smash Roy is awesome

Ya'll are mean :C

Roy is the best.

I'm not talking about the Pokedex, but rather about the Folklore stories in the Generation 4 Games that were changed in the international version.

http://legendsoflocalization.com/did-you-know-people-used-to-marry-pokemon-all-the-time/

I remember this. I think both versions work for that lore. Then you got Yamask and how the spirits of people can also become a Pokemon and their mask is their old human face. Sometimes they look at it and cry.

comic194.png

Eidan

12651066_1714891715407442_8975036144833999055_n.jpg

In a way that sums up my feelings.

I'm generally against content removal in any case, though I'd also be fine if they actually just replaced it with something else since face rubbing just really doesn't fit the genre, even if it's just weird rather than pokemon-level creepy.
What's sinking in is that someone thought Fire Emblem needed soldier petting, and there are people who are willing to defend it. Amazing.

KIRAKIRA

Banned
They went too far this time

I didn't say anything about the bravely default censoring in because they were just some small outfit changes, but they're removing entire features now..

Grunkle

Banned

I'm generally against content removal in any case, though I'd also be fine if they actually just replaced it with something else since face rubbing just really doesn't fit the genre, even if it's just weird rather than pokemon-level creepy.

Petting one of the humanoid creatures in Pokemon is one thing, after all they are pets. Petting a bunch of soldiers? It doesn't fit with Fire Emblem and should never have been included in the first place. Leave that rubbish in LovePlus where it belongs. Just because it was in the Japanese version doesn't mean it was a good idea.

So you're OK with the pic on the left, which could be borderline bestiality in a game, but not with touching a human face in a game? Ugh, Nintendo fans.

Nanashrew

Banned
Do you really want to take pokedex entries as fact given how incredibly unreliable and nonsensical they can be

It's actually possible to write a paper using Pokemon and all of its world mythology. There is a lot of stuff to dissect.

This type of stuff? Just the tip of the iceberg https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8IhWLuP8S18

And while some say they should have stopped at gen 2, gen 2 had some lore as well. They've just embraced it starting with 3 and onwards.

JGCD

Neo Member
So you're OK with the pic on the left, which could be borderline bestiality in a game, but not with touching a human face in a game? Ugh, Nintendo fans.
Do we actually know if its a sex organ he is touching? Or what if this is a barbie situation? (Just....flat nothing)

Overall I think both are bad features (pokemon and fire emblem) and really should leave in the titles that do derserve it

metal gear calling it now its gonna get next on vita :p

Kinsei

Banned

There' a huge difference between a mode made for children to let them take raising their Pokemon to the next level and stroking the face of someone in Fire Emblem.

You can acknowledge that and not be okay with the pic on the left you know. I think it was a mistake to let you pet Pokemon below the neck line ad hope they change it in the future.

Pokemon aren't fucking human beings, they are pets.

You actively try to have a relationship with characters in FE.

Just because they picked the most humanoid pokemon for that pic doesn't change the radically different context of both those games.

Is this REALLY that hard for you to understand?

Pokemon are the equivalent of pets. People pet their pets. In the show they pet their pokemon and its not weird given the context of the show. People don't really pet other people in real life. Like people cannot seriously be equating the two trying to get a "gotcha" moment.

And I dont particular care wether there is or there isnt face rubbing. I wouldnt use it but apparently its adds to the characters personality in the game so I understand why people would want it. But come on, I know we are not comparing rubbing someones face and forehead to rubbing your fictional fighting animal.

How is touching someone's face less acceptable than touching a pet's intimate parts?

The thing is, based on all the naked Pokémon we can safely assume that Pokémon don't really have genitals (they have babies through videogame magic, woo skitty x wailord), so while the picture is hilarious if you're assuming they do, there's not actually anything special under the point being touched.

That's not true, Cold Steel had way more perverted stuff. Angelica kept commenting on being attracted to every girl in the game (there was a line about "fabulous fifteens" that was particularly disgusting) and Rean's sister was attracted to him. I love Cold Steel, but the complaints about perverted anime stuff are totally understandable.

Hating the #fabulous_fifteen joke ..

Now i've seen it all.

OmegaX0

Machoke dick, treating video game people as if they're real human beings, there is a line here and we've clearly crossed it.

Aurongel

Bahahaha oh my good god this thread.

The amount of hilariously tone deaf defenses in this thread are pure comedic fodder for anyone with common sense. Machoke dick talk has me questioning if this isn't some elaborate troll.

ahoyhoy

Unconfirmed Member
Petting one of the humanoid creatures in Pokemon is one thing, after all they are pets. Petting a bunch of soldiers? It doesn't fit with Fire Emblem and should never have been included in the first place. Leave that rubbish in LovePlus where it belongs. Just because it was in the Japanese version doesn't mean it was a good idea.

Why can't soldiers pet one another? Are you saying that love can't blossom on the battlefield?

aravuus

Wonder how many times the word "creepy" has been said in this thread

Easily the most overused word on the Internet right now, right after "savage"

Nanashrew

Banned
I think it's more that people feel uncomfortable treating a human character as a pet. It has become more prevalent in anime too (though not all bad like the gifs already in this thread). I'm sure you're all aware of Hayao Miyazaki's quotes of how the industry seems to be creating characters as mere pets. Much of the cute girls doing cute things in situations that make them act like pets for the viewer, and much of where most waifu talk comes from because a waifu or husbando is a mere object and the emotions for them are mostly in their acts and looks because they're devoid of personality or barely a character at all.

Yes, I also just insulted my own waifus too like Princess Daisy, and everyone's love for Rosalina and so many more game and anime characters.

There's also that people, even in Japan had issues with the face touching, finding it weird. The west would find it even more weird. I think even if the dialogue was changed, people would still have that weird feeling of treating the character like a pet.

Some already brought up the reddit translation of the newest art book too in that the dev team had issues and there was a lot of disagreement over the 2Dlive stuff as well that compromises were made to what some originally wanted.

Overall, the 2Dlive stuff in the game seems like a total nightmare from its conception.

Also the Machoke thing, yeah that could make some uncomfortable for sure. Pokemon are pets primarily, but touching in certain areas can look and feel very wrong regardless of what form they take.

Bashtee

IMO removing or altering parts of games due to "differences in culture" has opened a can of worms. Arguing that this shouldn't have been in the game in the first place is - in my opinion - valid criticism towards the game itself, but it shouldn't be "fixed" during the localisation by removing it. This just opens the door to remove any other "inconvienient" content from the game and blame it on "differences in culture".

At the end of the day, this might lead up to a homophobic version, where we can't romance the same gender as our main character, due to "differences in culture". And all that while the developer is building up a wall of ignorance and continues to implement the option to cure anyone from their potential homosexuality. If the western audience doesn't like it, just cut it out during the localisation.

That reminds me, I still have to finish Senran Kagura on the Vita
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much

I'm OK with a game about collecting cute monsters allowing you to pet them, yes. That some are humanoid and can also be petted in an awkward way is an innocent side effect.

This Fire Emblem mini game makes no sense within the game (why would a general be petting their soldiers) and is a horrible example of the ~uguu nonsense that is beginning to suffocate Japanese games. They could have come up with a much more appropriate mini game to boost relationships with your soldiers than a LovePlus ripoff.

magnetic

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CHRjnTVQ_Ug

The 3D model and her facial expressions are pretty well done. I don't care about the actual face rubbing part, but I like the artstyle - is there any other way in the game to see the characters faces in such detail? I loved the art in Awakening, and I loved what I've seen of Fates.

Usually I don't really like most anime character styles, but the ones here are very well done and expressive.

Clearly a lot of effort went into these models and now I'm kinda bummed I can't access them in the euro version, simply because I enjoy well done character models.

Somebody mentioned a model viewer like in Smash - that's at least in here, right?

OmegaX0

This Fire Emblem mini game makes no sense within the game (why would a general be petting their soldiers)

Why not? In the game's universe stuff like that apparently happens. It's not a completely serious game, it has its share of wacky anime happenings whether you like it or not.

bigpumbaa

Well this has been fascinating.

Curious if people are as salty they didn't get "Asian old man stereotype" Rusty from Real Deal Baseball.

Truth is, NoA have been making these sorts of decisions for decades. It's the way localization works and I'm sure there have been plenty of graphics, words, and gameplay features - big and small - that have been drastically translated to suit our tastes.

Japan and America are very different (look at race relations, gender equality, hell - look up the tattoo ban).

Makes sense that some things need to change. It's a private company, you're not entitled to them localizing everything.

And if you really wanna pet your soldiers and/or give magic conversion juice to the gays ones - buck up, learn Japanese, and play that version.

It's not like Nintendo is going after anyone who imports the Japanese version.

captainpat

Some already brought up the reddit translation of the newest art book too in that the dev team had issues and there was a lot of disagreement over the 2Dlive stuff as well that compromises were made to what some originally wanted.

Overall, the 2Dlive stuff in the game seems like a total nightmare from its conception.

Devs disagree and compromise on things all the time. Calling it "a total nightmare from its conception" might a little overblown.

Azuran

Banned
No, it makes you a selfish, bad person. Especially if you care about a coherent creative vision... oh wait, I guess in this case it doesn't count! :D

What coherent creative visions are we talking about here? The fact that Nintendo added all of this stuff to FE shows that they really don't care about fan's romanticized views about a video game series.

Reading stuff like "Fire Emblem shouldn't be this" and "I don't like the way the series is going" gets old.

stupei

You can't have a discussion about video games unless you have them in absolutes.

Do you or do you not want to have sex with a pokemon? Answer the question, you evasive perverts!

What coherent creative visions are we talking about here? The fact that Nintendo added all of this stuff to FE shows that they really don't care about fan's romanticized views about a video game series.

Reading stuff like "Fire Emblem shouldn't be this" and "I don't like the way the series is going" gets old.

The posts I saw in the thread that read like this

"Keep this stuff out of my Fire Emblem"

Always crack me up. What makes people feel like they have some form of ownership over a IP? Just kinda crazy to me honestly.

I was looking at the source of this picture and the account seems to say that the Kotaku article saying this was taken out was wrong. Some believe that the mini game is still in.

Palculator

Unconfirmed Member
I was looking at the source of this picture and the account seems to say that the Kotaku article saying this was taken out was wrong. Some believe that the mini game is still in.
Probably referring to this email which doesn't say much besides that no censorship has been announced yet. And that could still be fake.

zREPkEm.png

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom