• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fire Emblem if / Fates Character Popularity Poll Results

mrmickfran

Oh wow

990.gif
No jiggle physics.

Pre-order cancelled.

This is pretty disturbing. I don't understand why you would do this to a character. Did they think the teen audience playing the game would be affected or something? That's ridiculous.
With this title being rated 15+ this brings a lot to worry about. The disparity in ratings between organizations seems like it can be troublesome.

I think you're reacting very severely to something so innocuous. Do you really think changes in localization are disturbing? Because that's ridiculous.

Reading the article above, it's clear that the Japanese Henry was far, far more subtle in a distinctly Japanese way. He relied on punctuation to convey tone that does not exist in our language. He used cultural signifiers that have no meaning in our culture, like the "least-manly" apology and "inappropriate" laughter.

Henry's Japanese character was a child-like character with a dark streak.

Henry's localized character is a child-like character with a bold dark streak.

As to why this is, it's very clear that the way Henry's identity was portrayed in Japanese was impossible in English. What Americans constitute as childish and child-like is also different than Japanese natives, and the task of translating Henry's "essence" meant adapting his gimmick in a way that would read easily to westerners.

Henry's western character is not subtle. Henry is a gag character. Henry is still a child-like dark wizard. But the severity of the changes seem to me only to make him as unique as possible. Could Henry have been more subtle? Of course. But... did he need to be? Would most people have liked him better as a rather straight-faced juvenile with a childish innocence and love for nature? Would that have been a better character?

I mean, maybe. Henry's western character is the comic relief. Other characters play off of him. He served a different purpose, for better or for worse.

I don't know how I personally would have localized Henry. He's not a character I like. But he seems fairly popular on Tumblr. I don't think he is popular in Japan at all. So maybe those changes worked?

alvis.exe

Henry's western character is not subtle. Henry is a gag character. Henry is still a child-like dark wizard. But the severity of the changes seem to me only to make him as unique as possible. Could Henry have been more subtle? Of course. But... did he need to be? Would most people have liked him better as a rather straight-faced juvenile with a childish innocence and love for nature? Would that have been a better character?

I mean, maybe. Henry's western character is the comic relief. Other characters play off of him. He served a different purpose, for better or for worse.

I don't know how I personally would have localized Henry. He's not a character I like. But he seems fairly popular on Tumblr. I don't think he is popular in Japan at all. So maybe those changes worked?

Based on the fan translations, I like Japanese Henry more. :p And Henry is pretty popular in Japan, he came in #4 out of all male characters only losing to Chrom, Gaius, and Owain. Henry/Olivia was also my favorite support based on the fan translations (and Japan seems to be a big fan of this too considering they're the #3 favorite pairing after only Chrom/FeMU and Virion/Cherche) but the localized version loses all of the charm and romantic nature. Made even worse when the Henry/Inigo DLC conversation is very obviously based on the Japanese version rather than the localized version. I feel like I've seen a good amount of people who share the same sentiments but obviously you'll always have far more people who have no idea that Japanese Henry is different from English Henry so it's hard to say whether most people would prefer one or the other. It also helps that memetic characters (English Henry) tend to get more attention online, even if they're not well written characters per se.

But meh. I personally probably was more annoyed by the changes when I first started playing the game but then the game started throwing quirkier and quirkier characters at me and I just stopped caring lol.

Guess I'll always have my favorites from older games to fall back to. Yeah you could get characters who were also super quirky and tropey with no development (Kieran, Mia, Ilyana, I'm looking at you) or just really boring (Lowen, a bunch of FE8 characters), but you also get things like Rolf struggling with his emotions after taking someone's life for the first time, Jill and Lethe working through their racist issues, Bastian being a far bigger contrast of pretend fool and competent tactician than Virion ever was, Matthew and Jaffar
coming to terms with the loss of a loved one and newfound emotions respectively
, Lucius and Renault and
their shared tragic history
, etc etc. Not that Awakening doesn't have its share of better supports (Maribelle+Gaius, revelations about Lon'qu's past) but they tended to be lost in the sea of quirk meets quirk supports or just weren't as standout as past stuff in the series. Plus the romantic supports really sucked :p

Anyways, my main hope for Fates supports is that there will be more supports that don't follow the quirk clashes with quirk leading to love formula. I've heard this is true? I hope?

Warxard

Banned
I wasn't really interested in this game...

but Hinoka is a solid design.

tumblr_inline_nrtacnVLvm1qeogt6_500.gif

And she can do the Manji Copter?! Truly, truly bro material.

The gay guy ranked really high so I don't think it's because of that. All the Hosbido kids did fairly poorly.

I wouldn't be surprised if their placement is due to a larger female audience voting over males just going by the poll results.

It would be nice if we had some numbers to confirm this.

I'm cracking up at the Google translated names.

Drizzle
Ice Storm
Green Lake
Flannel
Most Image
Dressed

Cool Breeze.

That's actually his name, but I guess it's weird out of context.

Also, that last one is what his name means in Japanese : P

In the localisation, he's simply "breeze" (or "wind").

I voted a few times in that poll. I voted for Leo and Takumi for the guys, and for Camilla and Hinoka for the females.

Glad to see Japan mostly agrees with my tastes :)

I do love Marx/Xander, too though.

I do kinda agree that too many of the females look too similar.

Wait those are suppose to be new characters? I haven't looked at anything yet because I wanted to go in blind, but looking at the poll I just randomly thought Giaus and Severa were just in the game again. Geez

To put it shortly,
Owain, Inigo and Severa are the same ones from Awakening, there's a DLC chapter that explains why they're in Fates
Gaius, Cordelia, and Tharja are not in this game, they are reincarnations of the three
as for Lucina and Azura, both completely different people, Lucina is in the game, you just need to scan her amiibo to unlock her. (You also get Marth, Ike, Robin, and maybe Roy in the same way)

If you want to make some sort of time paradox,
in the third route, Revelations, make Severa marry the person who's the father of Matoi (Cordelia reincarnation).

L95

Wait those are suppose to be new characters? I haven't looked at anything yet because I wanted to go in blind, but looking at the poll I just randomly thought Giaus and Severa were just in the game again. Geez

Spoiler:

Severa, Inigo, and Owain did some dimensional travel BS, and are in the game, however bootleg Gaius, Tharja, and Cordelia have no such excuse for looking alike.

mollipen

The gay guy ranked really high so I don't think it's because of that. All the Hosbido kids did fairly poorly.

I'm not adamant on that being the cause (especially since it was pointed out that's she's not exclusively girl-only), but from my experience lesbians are noticeably lower on the social ladder than gay guys are. So I'm willing to bet there's a very different attitude taken toward gay female characters than gay male ones.

L95

Is this shit actually in the game?

Yep, occurs during the Hoshido route, specifically.

It's not confirmed yet, as there are no pictures of the book, but apparently the behind the scenes anniversary book the released in Japan recently says that scene is the only reason Fates got a rating bump in Japan. (Saying again: No images of the text in the book are available, so this isn't actually confirmed)

Yep, occurs during the Hoshido route, specifically.

It's not confirmed yet, as there are no pictures of the book, but apparently the behind the scenes anniversary book the released in Japan recently says that scene is the only reason Fates got a rating bump in Japan. (Saying again: No images of the text in the book are available, so this isn't actually confirmed)

I'm not saying the effect isn't lost on me, it's just awfully embarrassing and doesn't belong in Fire Emblem imo. Maybe there is a decent story implication for her character.

She better be well written for Japan to vote her #2.

I'm not saying the effect isn't lost on me, it's just awfully embarrassing and doesn't belong in Fire Emblem imo. Maybe there is a decent story implication for her character.

Yeah, I thought that at first too,but she's grown on me. She's an affectionate older sister type and seems like just a flirtatious princess who likes to strut around to me. She acts that way because of her pampered upbringing. :p

I find her more humorous than anything. But I fear they'll censor the cutscenes or some of the other content.

L95

...Hm?

I mentioned the rating thing because I like spouting trivia that is tangentially related to my conversations. I didn't mean to imply anything about you.

Yeah, I thought that at first too,but she's grown on me. She's an affectionate older sister type and seems like just a flirtatious princess who likes to strut around to me. She acts that way because of her pampered upbringing. :p

In her supports (with... Zero? I think.) she mentions her mother being a piece of shit, and that's why she's so affectionate to her siblings, because she didn't have a qualified mother. :U

Astral Dog

She needs to show boobs othewise she cant breath through her skin
by a curse

In her supports (with... Zero? I think.) she mentions her mother being a piece of shit, and that's why she's so affectionate to her siblings, because she didn't have a qualified mother. :U
:(

I like her even more now. I always liked the older sister types.

L95

:(

I like her even more now. I always liked the older sister types.

Yeah, Nohr's whole family is screwed.

I don't think this is really a story spoiler, as most of this info is in supports, and isn't some plot twist or anything, but I'll spoiler it.

Basically, Xander is the only child from a marriage, Camilla, Leo and Elise are all from Garon's mistresses, they're all half siblings and only share a father. There's apparently a lot of competition between women for Garon >.> The kids get along well enough, but their family is pretty dysfunctional. I think it's a shame this info stays mostly in the realm of supports, it's interesting.

Top Bottom