• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Firefox, I think I love you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

tedtropy

$50/hour, but no kissing on the lips and colors must be pre-separated
firefox_xanadu.png

Yes, that's a five-day weather forecast in my status bar. Another Firefox extension adds thumbnail previews to the in-browser Google search returns, plus another extension adds text copy ability with having to use a keyboard command (a la mIRC), while another one allows me to right-click on words to look it up on dictionary.com

I realize there have been past posts praising (alliteration quota met) Firefox, but I felt I'd share my personal experience with this utterly customizable browser. To the uncoverted out there, please give it a download, try out some of the extensions, and discover browser xanadu.

www.getfirefox.com

demi

DO NOT BE FOOLED, HE IS A RAVING LOONY EVANGELIST! HE IS BLINDED BY FIREFOX'S TRICKERY. JOIN US, THE EXPLORERS OF THE INTERNET.

DaCocoBrova

Finally bought a new PSP, but then pushed the demon onto someone else. Jesus.
plus another extension adds text copy ability with having to use a keyboard command (a la mIRC),

I guess that explains why ctrl+V hasn't worked in mIRC all this time.

Can you provide links to these extensions? I'm lazy.

Anyway, The Fox and I had a wonderful love making session last night. I introduced some 'toys' into the relationship.

She likes!!

thisishot9bu.jpg

madara

Yeah I love it. Been using it ever since folks here reccommended it. Though for some reason it flakes out at spawn.com forum when I try get news there, otherwise been working quite flawless.

mrmyth

demi said:
DO NOT BE FOOLED, HE IS A RAVING LOONY EVANGELIST! HE IS BLINDED BY FIREFOX'S TRICKERY. JOIN US, THE EXPLORERS OF THE INTERNET.

Bet you all have internet syphilis, too.

DarienA

The black man everyone at Activision can agree on
DaCocoBrova said:
I guess that explains why ctrl+V hasn't worked in mIRC all this time.

Can you provide links to these extensions? I'm lazy.

Anyway, The Fox and I had a wonderful love making session last night. I introduced some 'toys' into the relationship.

She likes!!

thisishot9bu.jpg

Auto Copy

Forecast Fox

DaCocoBrova

^

You rock!

Just went through all of them... Those are like the best two.

Kon Tiki

Banned
tedtropy said:
firefox_xanadu.png

Yes, that's a five-day weather forecast in my status bar. Another Firefox extension adds thumbnail previews to the in-browser Google search returns, plus another extension adds text copy ability with having to use a keyboard command (a la mIRC), while another one allows me to right-click on words to look it up on dictionary.com

I realize there have been past posts praising (alliteration quota met) Firefox, but I felt I'd share my personal experience with this utterly customizable browser. To the uncoverted out there, please give it a download, try out some of the extensions, and discover browser xanadu.

www.getfirefox.com

:lol

I was thinking to myself 'what is so special about that pic?'. I have been using the forecast and preview extension for so long that I think of them as standard.

Firefox has ruined my PC life. I am using mouse gestures in Windows Explorer, I am middle click on everything outside the browser. :(

tedtropy

Society said:

I was thinking to myself 'what is so special about that pic?'. I have been using the forecast and preview extension for so long that I think of them as standard.

Firefox has ruined my PC life. I am using mouse gestures in Windows Explorer, I am middle click on everything outside the browser. :(

Yep, it's amazing how crappy IE is by comparison after you get acustomed to the greatness that is Firefox. I cringe everytime I have to out on a service request and mess with IE again. It's over IE, pick up your shit and get out of my life!

Particle Physicist

between a quark and a baryon
DaCocoBrova said:

this picture confuses me. top part looks like a mac.. though the <close/minimize/fit > buttons are on the wrong side.

the bottom part looks like XP .. with an apple symbol on the bottom right.

WTF. :(

tedtropy

quadriplegicjon said:
this picture confuses me. top part looks like a mac.. though the <close/minimize/fit > buttons are on the wrong side.

the bottom part looks like XP .. with an apple symbol on the bottom right.

WTF. :(

It's a UI skin for Windows XP. I was actually running that same one for awhile - it looks nice.

tedtropy

jenov4 said:
Adblock extension is amazing. Also has anyone tried the tip on this page:

http://www.mozilla.org/support/firefox/adblock.html

Adblock is amazing, especially since it's free. The only reason I'm not using it is because I bought a copy of AdMuncher. It blocks adds from downloading in any Windows program, is really customizable, well-programmed, minimal in resource usage, and well worth the 20 bucks.

I don't have any extentions (does bugmenot count?) but I love Firefox just because of the lack of spyware seeping through.

At first it was a bit awkward to use (got it maybe 3 months ago), since you get so used to using one thing over and over again, but that quickly changed (2 weeks maybe). I haven't used IE since.

tedtropy

Drozmight said:
I downloaded it and I now realize it is 14 degrees outside.

Even more reason to screw the outside world, stay inside...and use Firefox! Whoo!

tedtropy

Drozmight said:
Haha, I so wish I could, but I gotta walk to class.

Are you taking a mini or something? It's early January. This is the post-Christmas depression weight loss hangover recovery buffer time!

bishoptl

Banstick Emeritus
Firefox is indeed the shizzy. In fact, it's now the required browser on all PCs at my company. IE = gone.

tedtropy

bishoptl said:
Firefox is indeed the shizzy. In fact, it's now the required browser on all PCs at my company. IE = gone.

I've tried talking my boss into implementing it site-wide. No luck so far, but I will keep trying...FOR THE CAUSE! Hell, Firefox is really an anti-network abuse tool at this point.

DaCocoBrova

bishoptl said:

Yet the stupid Federal Government still uses IE standard.

DarienA

teiresias said:
What does that Bene Gesserit extension even do? There's like no description of it at all.

It does nothing for folks not trained in the Bene Gesserit ways fool!

DarienA

I wish the major videogame sites used RSS feeds.... so far it looks like on Gamespot does. And they don't really have the feed I'd really like a "Daily Updates" feed.

tedtropy

DarienA said:
I wish the major videogame sites used RSS feeds....

Bluesnews does, but that's obviously for the PC-side of things.

fallout

Actually, a lot of the stuff you guys are doing are KDE things anyway. Weather toolbar, highlight text copying, tabs, newsticker, etc. Not that it's anything against Firefox ... it just generally means that I don't feel as limited when Firefox is closed.

Oh, and two of my favourite extensions ... Quicknote and Flashblock.

tedtropy

fallout said:
Actually, a lot of the stuff you guys are doing are KDE things anyway. Weather toolbar, highlight text copying, tabs, newsticker, etc. Not that it's anything against Firefox ... it just generally means that I don't feel as limited when Firefox is closed.

Oh, and two of my favourite extensions ... Quicknote and Flashblock.

Unfortunately most of us are living in a Windows world, wherein Firefox remains the best browsing alternative. KDE is nice, but I just don't see Linux being a viable replacement for a home PC environment.

Kon Tiki

Banned
While on the topic of RSS. How do i get rss feeds witht he extention '.rss' to display in Live Bookmarks?

I can get RSS working on every version of extension except .rss.

aoi tsuki

i really wish someone would come up with a Firefox extension that displays RSS updates in a scrolling ticker, like OSX's Safari. As it is now, i have my RSS links updated in the offline newsreader on my PDA. Seems like it would be simple to implement a scrolling ticker reader.

Also, those of you that like to download pictures, movies, music, or whatever on a web page need to download the Download Them All! (http://downthemall.mozdev.org/) extension.

Another good extension is SessionSaver, which reloads your open tabs on a crash, shutdown, or close (FYI, it's standard in Opera). i haven't tried the enhanced version i'm linking to, but i'm not on my machine at the moment.

DarienA

aoi tsuki said:
Another good extension is SessionSaver, which reloads your open tabs on a crash, shutdown, or close (FYI, it's standard in Opera). i haven't tried the enhanced version i'm linking to, but i'm not on my machine at the moment.

Oh man thank you I was just thinking to myself the other day that I really wish there was an extension that did this... now I gotta go find it.... link?

EDIT:

Ah, found it

iapetus

Scary Euro Man
Bah. What you really need is this...

A quick and handy extension that shows you the current Department of Homeland Security terrorism alert level. :)

DarienA

iapetus said:
Bah. What you really need is this...

A quick and handy extension that shows you the current Department of Homeland Security terrorism alert level. :)

Already use that.... We are currently: Scared

;)

Che

Banned
Society said:

:lol You're not the only one.

fallout

tedtropy said:
Unfortunately most of us are living in a Windows world, wherein Firefox remains the best browsing alternative. KDE is nice, but I just don't see Linux being a viable replacement for a home PC environment.
Yeah, believe me, I understand the situation for most people. Heh, don't take it as a "FUCK WINDOWS!" post or anything like that. The only thing I'm missing is PC gaming ... which I never did anyway because this computer is so out of date.

tedtropy

fallout said:
Yeah, believe me, I understand the situation for most people. Heh, don't take it as a "FUCK WINDOWS!" post or anything like that. The only thing I'm missing is PC gaming ... which I never did anyway because this computer is so out of date.

I think Linux is great - it should be the standard for everything but individual desktops. Perhaps with time it'll sneak its way into that arena as well. I'd appreciate the alternative.

Bandicoot

How are you getting the Yahoo RSS feeds? Whenever I try to link those it does not work. Firefox does not show the little RSS logo in the bottom right on the news pages either...

EDIT

Nevermind, im tarded. You just have to go to the actual category of news that you want and the icon appears.

Pimpwerx

Y'all gotta get the quicknote and chatzilla hookup pronto. Also underrated is DownThemAll. My my my, that has come in handy on some sites where I wanted to save a bunch of stuff from a page at once. Tab extensions still comes in handy. I gotta get the color-coded tabs again. That was less tacky than I imagined.
firefoxrox7te.jpg

PEACE.

Kon Tiki

Banned
That auto copy is ok in some situations. It messes up BBcode big time tho. It erases the clipboard when you highlight something to make a selection url.

BBcode, if you do not know, it a forum lovers best friend.

bbcode-bbcode-contextmenu.png

It makes using the forums a one handed job.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom