• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Firefox, I think I love you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Society said:
That auto copy is ok in some situations. It messes up BBcode big time tho. It erases the clipboard when you highlight something to make a selection url.

BBcode, if you do not know, it a forum lovers best friend.

bbcode-bbcode-contextmenu.png

It makes using the forums a one handed job.

Got a link for that Check-Spelling ext.?

Can I say that FoxyTunes is a godsend? Especially since while I'm online I listen to internet radio constantly? And now I always have the song info right in front of me? AND it's right next to the weather forecast?

Firefox. Use it. Or an angel won't get his wings.

Macam

Banned
I've been using Opera for years now and I just downloaded this about an hour ago on my PC to give it a run, and I love it already. I'll be sure to try out all these extensions. At this rate I may actually start using my PC again instead of solely using my PowerBook.

btw, as far as that Apple UI skin goes, what program are you (whomever it was) using to do that? WindowBlinds, Samuraize, etc.?

EDIT: I've now officially done the unthinkable: 2 hours with FireFox, and I uninstalled Opera after 2-3 years of it. Mouse gestures, weather reporting, iTunes control and song info....there's not much more I need. I even installed it on my Mac and imported my Safari bookmarks. Next time, I'll be the first in line to try new programs out, and not near the back of the line.

lexi

Banned
I've been using Firefox since it was Phoenix 0.1, and never looked back.

Extensions I'm using:

ForecastFox
WebmailCompose
All-in-one Gestures
Adblock
BBCode

jobber

Would let Tony Parker sleep with his wife
DarienA said:
Oh man thank you I was just thinking to myself the other day that I really wish there was an extension that did this... now I gotta go find it.... link?

EDIT:

Ah, found it

This was the only reason I use Opera. Maybe I need to try this.

Been using Firefox since 0.8 when someone convinced me to try it out. Really good! Praise blah blah!

Quick Question:

Ever since I installed TabBrowser Extensions I can no longer click on a user's name on this forum to bring down that drop down menu without it loading their profile page. How do I prevent this?

Isn't Firefox suppose to automatically remember the sites you were on when you closed the browser and reloads them? Cause mine doesn't.

Also the browser I was using prior had a feature that allowed you to launch a preset group of websites. Does Firefox?

D'ultimate said:
Isn't Firefox suppose to automatically remember the sites you were on when you closed the browser and reloads them? Cause mine doesn't.

Well if you have the TabBrowser Extension you can open tabs you previously closed and restore them. I don't think it's possible if you close the entire window though.

Also the browser I was using prior had a feature that allowed you to launch a preset group of websites. Does Firefox?

Yes. Open up all the pages you want to be set as your "homepages" and then go Tools > Options and under "General" click on "Use Current Pages" (under Home Page)

joaomgcd

Red Dolphin said:
Yes. Open up all the pages you want to be set as your "homepages" and then go Tools > Options and under "General" click on "Use Current Pages" (under Home Page)

Or if you don't want to limit yourself to just using your "homepages" as a group of sites you like, just download the Session Saver extension above, and under Tools->SessionSaver choose "capture: new" and enter a name.
This way you can open all the forums you visit with one click, with a "capture" named "Forums", for instance.

tedtropy

$50/hour, but no kissing on the lips and colors must be pre-separated
Macam said:
I've been using Opera for years now and I just downloaded this about an hour ago on my PC to give it a run, and I love it already. I'll be sure to try out all these extensions. At this rate I may actually start using my PC again instead of solely using my PowerBook.

btw, as far as that Apple UI skin goes, what program are you (whomever it was) using to do that? WindowBlinds, Samuraize, etc.?

EDIT: I've now officially done the unthinkable: 2 hours with FireFox, and I uninstalled Opera after 2-3 years of it. Mouse gestures, weather reporting, iTunes control and song info....there's not much more I need. I even installed it on my Mac and imported my Safari bookmarks. Next time, I'll be the first in line to try new programs out, and not near the back of the line.

http://www.jonmega.com/iceman/vs/

There should be instructions on how to install it. It doesn't require any additional skinning program, just a hacked uxtheme.dll file. Windows XP has support for UI skinning but Microsoft, in all their infinite wisdom, decided to lock users out of it.

AssMan

Banned
FireFox? I'm on 56k and is it alright to use and has any kind of special spyware/adware program in the program itself?

Macam

Banned
tedtropy said:
http://www.jonmega.com/iceman/vs/

There should be instructions on how to install it. It doesn't require any additional skinning program, just a hacked uxtheme.dll file. Windows XP has support for UI skinning but Microsoft, in all their infinite wisdom, decided to lock users out of it.

Thanks, I'll check it out when I get back on the PC. I'm aware of Microsoft's wonderful design choices, but I've gotten around most of those.

I just have two questions concerning FireFox at this point.

1. For anyone using the FoxyTunes extension listed previously in this thread, is there an option within the extension to have it display the album name alongside the artist and song name? I'm currently using iTunes on both my Mac and PC and I haven't seen the option in the extension preferences, but I may be missing it.

2. For anyone using it on the Mac, I can't quite seem to get my Bookmarks to appear in a seperate bar, a la Safari's Bookmark Bar; oddly enough, FireFox does this on my PC by default. Again, I haven't found the option to adjust this, though I have tried customizing my toolbar under the View file to no avail.

jobber

Red Dolphin said:
Been using Firefox since 0.8 when someone convinced me to try it out. Really good! Praise blah blah!

Quick Question:

Ever since I installed TabBrowser Extensions I can no longer click on a user's name on this forum to bring down that drop down menu without it loading their profile page. How do I prevent this?

I don't think it's a way :(

tedtropy

Boogie9IGN said:
So, is Firefox better than Opera?

If it has tabbed windows inside one main window I'm sold

It can do multiple tabs within a single window, yes. There's even a button you can click to create a new tab within an existing window.

jobber

Boogie9IGN said:

I've used Opera for about a year and I'm testing Firefox out this weekend. So far, it's up there with Opera. Just got to mess around with the settings and add extensions.

Boogie9IGN

Am using Firefox now, it looks sexy

Quick question, is there an extension that allows me to hold the right mouse button and left click to go to the previos page and vice versa like in Opera?

EDIT: I think I found it, is it Mouse Gestures?

Macam

Banned
Yes, Mouse Gestures is it, but you may want to customize it to use the right button like Opera does, since it seems to use the left one by default.

fse

Fx is good, but all I want is not on the installation. Opera is ready out of the box. :)
Opera 8 beta's are out and rock.

Fx can't open pop-ups and other "new" windows in the same main window... like Opera does. MDI.

tedtropy

f_elz said:
Fx is good, but all I want is not on the installation. Opera is ready out of the box. :)
Opera 8 beta's are out and rock.

Fx can't open pop-ups and other "new" windows in the same main window... like Opera does. MDI.

firefox_tabs.png

How do you mean? You can configure Firefox to open any new/pop-up windows in the form of tabs in the present/main window.

aoi tsuki

Boogie9IGN said:

Out of the box, Opera is much better. Firefox has extensions which can add more features to it, making it even more functional than Opera, but Opera still beats it by a hair in terms of responsiveness, and an overall integrated feel. i say this as a Firefox user since it was Phoenix 0.2 beta. i really like the MDI (multi-document interface) of Opera, as well as the auto-save feature which saves open windows and form text on a crash of program close. Firefox's SessionSaver extension will save on crash, but the save feature doesn't work with the 1.0 public release of Firefox.

i also like the way Opera can have multiple sidebars at once, a feature that's in Netscape, but not Firefox or Mozilla. It's a highly personal issue, and while Firefox lets you see how many emails you have as well as jump to your email client (or maybe it's just Thunderbird?), it's just not the same as having your email a click away. It's probably a matter of time before an extension provides this function, or something similar. The extension feature is part of the reason i haven't jumped to Opera, alongside the ads Opera has in the free version. At some point, someone will come up with an extension that offers the same features as in another browser, or something new altogether. It may not play well with the other extensions, but it makes the browser so much more usable, and for free.

fse

aoi tsuki said:
Out of the box, Opera is much better. Firefox has extensions which can add more features to it, making it even more functional than Opera, but Opera still beats it by a hair in terms of responsiveness, and an overall integrated feel. i say this as a Firefox user since it was Phoenix 0.2 beta. i really like the MDI (multi-document interface) of Opera, as well as the auto-save feature which saves open windows and form text on a crash of program close. Firefox's SessionSaver extension will save on crash, but the save feature doesn't work with the 1.0 public release of Firefox.

i also like the way Opera can have multiple sidebars at once, a feature that's in Netscape, but not Firefox or Mozilla. It's a highly personal issue, and while Firefox lets you see how many emails you have as well as jump to your email client (or maybe it's just Thunderbird?), it's just not the same as having your email a click away. It's probably a matter of time before an extension provides this function, or something similar. The extension feature is part of the reason i haven't jumped to Opera, alongside the ads Opera has in the free version. At some point, someone will come up with an extension that offers the same features as in another browser, or something new altogether. It may not play well with the other extensions, but it makes the browser so much more usable, and for free.

Opera is good.
But extensions will never get it right. Its basically just one person trying to do what 100s of developers do and do it well.
:D :D

Pimpwerx

aoi tsuki said:
i really wish someone would come up with a Firefox extension that displays RSS updates in a scrolling ticker, like OSX's Safari. As it is now, i have my RSS links updated in the offline newsreader on my PDA. Seems like it would be simple to implement a scrolling ticker reader.

Also, those of you that like to download pictures, movies, music, or whatever on a web page need to download the Download Them All! (http://downthemall.mozdev.org/) extension.
Hey, someone else who uses DTA. :) I installed that extension on a whim during my last install, and it has come in really handy a couple times. Great little extension.

As for the RSS news ticker, are you looking for something like this?

http://inforss.mozdev.org/

I haven't installed it, I don't really know shit about RSS feeds. But if someone wants to try it out they can. I'm gonna look around a bit, but I might install it. I have to read up on RSS feeds. PEACE.

EDIT: Can someone tell me how to add live bookmarks? I see the little icon in the status bar, but when I click on it, I get nothing.

lexi

Banned
Red Dolphin said:

Quick Question:

Most likely reason? TabBrowser Extensions messes with a lot of code that shouldn't be messed with.

Been poking around but is there a way to turn off the autocomplete function? Only time it never comes up is if i clear my history. I'm sure i'm missing something totally obvious here but i guess i'm not gonna find it till it smacks me in the face heh. :lol

Pimpwerx

NM, I found it. If anyone else is looking to add Live Bookmarks and doesn't know how, you can find it here:

http://www.mozilla.org/products/firefox/live-bookmarks.html

Second to last paragraph on the page. You need to go to Manage Bookmarks in the Bookmarks menu and add them manually. That stupid little icon isn't doing jackshit for me otherwise. :( PEACE.

EDIT: OMFG! WTF did I do before Live Bookmarks? Why did I ignore the countless suggestions in this thread until now? Thanks for the reco, Live Bookmarks are the shiznyte. Now all I need is an IGN PSP feed. I'm gonna go ahead and try that extension I linked to and see how it works. A status bar ticker would rock.

roman2k

Does anyone know how I can install multiple FireFox?

My father installed one before but when I change the settings, bookmarks etc. in my browser his Firefox settings are also changed.

Deg

Banned
I use both. Opera is my first choice however. I second the email client thing built in. Its just amazing really. Doesnt take up much resources either and its just a smarter approach. Amazingly its starts up quicker and is always instant in everything. All i do is click on the side of the screen and a bar pops out. Then i just click the mail button.

opera754-mail-screen.jpg

IRC chat

opera754-chat-screen.jpg

All within the browser!

Firefox is easy to add things to thanks to extensions. Which Opera doesnt have. You can add stuff to Opera but you sometimes have to download a program to add the feature or do something.

Like changing and adding more search engines. I have to download a program although it is very powerful as i have full control over what it will display when i search etc.
opera754-search-screen.jpg

My Firefox is pretty good. I have loads of extensions running. Some great stuff. :)

Pimpwerx

Got InfoRSS installed, and it doesn't scroll. It puts headlines on my statusbar, but it ain't scrolling nowhere, and I'm not sure how useful this will be for me. I'll give it a few hours before I uninstall though. I want to see how well it does with updating the news. If it can at least do that well, then I'll keep it. And it opens news articles in new tabs by default. PEACE.

Deg

Banned
Great King Bowser said:
Is there anyway to get Forecastfox to display temperatures in Celcius rather than Fahrenheit?

You change to metric or something like that.

fallout

Great King Bowser said:
Is there anyway to get Forecastfox to display temperatures in Celcius rather than Fahrenheit?
I use KWeather (similar to ForecastFox I'm guessing, but it run ins your taskbar in KDE) and in order to make it spit things out in numbers that made sense to me (ie. metric), I had to change it in the system settings of KDE. So, if you're running Windows, it might be a similar thing.

Just a guess though.

jobber

Ok...When I click the properties of a photo, the window shows up and then vanishes within 1 second?

Kon Tiki

Banned
Deg said:
I use both. Opera is my first choice however. I second the email client thing built in. Its just amazing really. Doesnt take up much resources either and its just a smarter approach. Amazingly its starts up quicker and is always instant in everything. All i do is click on the side of the screen and a bar pops out. Then i just click the mail button.

opera754-mail-screen.jpg

IRC chat

opera754-chat-screen.jpg

All within the browser!

Firefox is easy to add things to thanks to extensions. Which Opera doesnt have. You can add stuff to Opera but you sometimes have to download a program to add the feature or do something.

Like changing and adding more search engines. I have to download a program although it is very powerful as i have full control over what it will display when i search etc.
opera754-search-screen.jpg

My Firefox is pretty good. I have loads of extensions running. Some great stuff. :)

heh you can not compare Firefox to Opera. Firefox is meant to be barebones. The ability to built it the way you want is the main draw of the browser. If you want to compare full featured browsers compare Opera to Mozilla.

Great King Bowser

Property of Kaz Harai
Thanks Deg/Pimpwerx, now it actually means something to me other than images. :lol

Another thing I've noticed lately, in IE too I think, is that gifs no longer animate. Anyone got any ideas? I've missed out on a lot of hilarity on these forums afaik due to my loss.

DaCocoBrova

Finally bought a new PSP, but then pushed the demon onto someone else. Jesus.
btw, as far as that Apple UI skin goes, what program are you (whomever it was) using to do that?

StyleXP1.0. I don't fuck w/ the current version at all...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom