• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Firewatch |OT| With Me

CHC

And this writing.... soooo fucking good. Games that I just want to be in are a rare thing indeed, but this just feels so real. It really is like playing a piece of someone's life. Very unique. It's rare that I really feel like I AM a character, but here I AM Henry.

Gattsu25

Banned
I completed the game in a single long sitting. I really enjoyed it.

Non spoiler stuff: I love the look, music, general sound design, lighting, characters & the voice acting.

mekes

I'm going to take my time with this game. First impressions are all positive. Loved the scene setting at the beginning, glad I had that spoiler free. I'm done playing for today, but have the game on my mind and look forward to jumping back in tomorrow. Recommended the game to my friends also as I think they would enjoy it. One doesn't like scary games so I hope I haven't done him a disservice!

Reedirect

About an hour into this and I'm loving it so far. Sublime opening set the tone perfectly. Seems like the second game this year (after Oxenfree) that toys with dialogue in a pretty unique way and makes just talking kinda fun and intriguing. Helps when your game is well written too.

Good VA too. Rich Sommer I know and love, but I knew Delilah sounded familiar. Turns out the same actress voiced Joyce in Life is Strange.

Ferrio

Banned
Day 1
I'm traveling the through the wilderness, climbing up mountains all while carrying a boombox playing the worst song ever.

Luke_Wal

I don't even remember what Day number I'm currently on, but I know it's the one past Day 11. This game is phenomenal. The PS4 performance is a definite bummer, but the game is good enough in spite of it.

That being said: is the soundtrack available anywhere? I definitely see this being the next Journey or The Last of Us for me, where I listen to the soundtrack when I'm in the library or my dorm and need to drown out the ambient noise so that I can study in peace.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
Just finished it in pretty much one long session, this game was really special. I loved how
it didn't have any big surprise twists near the end. It was basically just a final convo with Henry and Delilah, and how they may or may not see each other again. The game kept hinting at big reveals or surprises, but never gave them. There was one line from Delilah that summed it up pretty well, paraphrasing: 'stop thinking there's a bigger conspiracy, we're gonna get rescued and that's it'. The game has the guts to basically be a story about two people connecting, with no temptation to go for the convential twists or big reveals.

Karak

Loving the sound design in this.

ya I discussed it in my review but its rare you get a game this inward in its sound direction with almost all of it directed via ambient sound effects and subdued delivery. While even when Henry does do something the reaction is momentary and them he fades back. It does a great job eliciting a feeling of you not matter in this larger world.

I don't even remember what Day number I'm currently on, but I know it's the one past Day 11. This game is phenomenal. The PS4 performance is a definite bummer, but the game is good enough in spite of it.

That being said: is the soundtrack available anywhere? I definitely see this being the next Journey or The Last of Us for me, where I listen to the soundtrack when I'm in the library or my dorm and need to drown out the ambient noise so that I can study in peace.
I am not sure there is so little that I would be surprised if they considered it a full soundtrack.

Head.spawn

Having a good time with the game, I've got about three hours in so far, but holy shit did I have issues with the game initially. Tried using my Xbox One controller.

For starters, it doesn't auto detect the controller or at least it didn't for me, that's not so bad. Then I had the issue where it was pulling left constantly and even then I'm not even sure how that went away.. I kept changing control options back and forth and restarting the game and eventually it just worked randomly? Then the R button to open things wouldn't work, yet somehow right-click worked, then I went to interact with the next object and neither worked.. Reset the game, then out worked. A little buggy.

If you press B while you are reading a note, the game gets a little funky. You have to press Y again to read it once more then press Y another time to close it.

Trying to record with Nvidia didn't work either, the game minimizes everytime I try to bring it up with ALT+Z.

Outside of that, the game has been thoroughly engrossing. Having a good time with it, the games humour comes off well and the underlying serious nature of the game is also pulled off well, overall the dialogue, voice acting and all of that is a complete win.

Game performance is also pretty decent, which I wasn't expecting given the doom and gloom of the other thread.

Bryko

Soundtrack on Bandcamp:
https://camposantogames.bandcamp.com/album/firewatch-original-score

Gbraga

I'm liking this way more than I thought I would. And I was already excited for it. I think it was the intro, hitting me right in the feels. Definitely wasn't expecting this.

I have no idea where this ride is taking me, but I can't wait to see. Still on day 2, 2.5 hours of playtime.

I don't mean this as criticism, but the game is also surprisingly linear. The map is big, but the progression is very guided. I'm more than ok with this, I guess I was kinda expecting some survival elements to the gameplay, and I really didn't feel like it. Glad to see it's a more linear experience.

I'm also loving Delilah so far, one thing I was kinda worried from that gameplay video showing the first day was that I wouldn't really talk nearly as much, because I would just find it weird, and would choose silence more often than not, but they do a great job putting you in this lonely place, and it became natural for me to talk to her about every little thing I find. Until the conversation gets a bit too personal, then I'm reminded that we're strangers, and it's weird.

First nice little surprise of the year, to me. Still didn't play Oxenfree, though, I'm thinking I'll like it as well, judging from what I've been hearing from friends.

Elitist1945

Just bought this on Steam and can't wait to play tomorrow. Was going to get on PS4, but the performance is apparently troubling and I want to use my gaming PC/Steam controller more.

Karak

Luckily I was blown away by actually getting good performance. Very good actually. Looks like another title thats hit and miss.

Sibylus

Banned
Finished the prologue and Day 1. I'm loving it so far, down to the ability to examine items you pick up (hence the punny post title) and talk to Delilah about them.

Performance on PS4 is not great, lots of hitching. Kind of a big deal considering this is the type of game where the bulk of your emotional investment comes from that first playthrough and the patch will be way too late for many of us. Froze on me once as well where I think I got stuck between invisible barriers somewhere near the south at the river.

Beyond those issues though, the game itself is pretty good so far. I'm about 2.5 hours into it, still in Day 2 because of lots of slow paced exploration and scouring for interactive stuff. Really like Henry and Delilah's dialogue delivery, and I'm excited to see where it all goes. Atmosphere, visuals, sound design, and music are all great. Like how tangible the game feels as well. Lots of things to pick up, objects to prod, rocks to climb, physical maps to read, etc.

Just finished. Took me 7 hours but I definitely wandered a tonne. Have to let the story sink in before I form a complete opinion.

Should say it ran smooth for me on my PC. Ran it at ultra and while it probably wasn't at a constant 60 definitely didn't feel like I dropped below 30 any point.

Qblivion

game runs at about 11 fps for me on low settings. Steam glitched out when I tried to get a refund too...

This is why usually stick to consoles :|

CHC

Highly recommend turning OFF the map location and new goals notifications. It's fun using the map without a magic mark showing where you are. There's more than enough landmarks to get your bearings.

Top Bottom