• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Firewatch |OT| With Me

Did anyone else only play without the map marker showing you exactly where you are? That's the way I played through the whole game and I think it added a lot to the experience having to navigate using a compass and landmarks.

Went to bed last night before posting but I have to say, that was one of the best intros I've experienced in a game. Felt so genuine, real, disheartening...

justjim89

Does this game run like absolute dogshit for anyone else? I got in on minimum setting and it's still really hitchy on my laptop. Jumping from like 15 to 30 to 20 FPS just based on where I'm looking. I can't get through the first conversation with Delilah without the game freezing and crashing. I don't exactly have a high end machine, but I put well over 200 hours in Witcher 3 and 60 or so in MGSV with smooth performance. I should be able to play a damn walking simulator.

Any chance there will be DLC or future games like this? Or are indie games normally a "one and done" type thing?

Yeah, I'd be surprised if they did any type of DLC. I felt like there was
plenty of closure at the end, regardless of how it made you feel. It was made clear that both D and Henry have bigger issues in life than what the two of them went through that one summer.

Did anyone else only play without the map marker showing you exactly where you are? That's the way I played through the whole game and I think it added a lot to the experience having to navigate using a compass and landmarks.
I tried doing that, but I'm absolutely horrible with directions. I'll probably do that on a second playthrough now that I know my way around a little better. I also missed a few things the first time around and forgot about the camera. I think I only took about 10 photos.

justjim89

Also, this keeps happening at random camera angles.

tumblr_o2cfwaFbk21u5eu8ao1_540.jpg

Symphonia

Banned
Yeah, I'd be surprised if they did any type of DLC. I felt like there was plenty of closure at the end, regardless of how it made you feel. It was made clear that both D and Henry have bigger issues in life than what the two of them went through that one summer.
Keep potential spoilers to the spoiler thread.

aravuus

Please stop feeding the troll. As I stated, Valve blacklists abusers for future refunds.

Really? What constitutes an abuser in their eyes?

While I definitely don't think what Dmented did was right, I think refunding this one time shouldn't block him from seeking a refund in the future for a legit reason - say, a game simply doesn't work on his computer.

justjim89

That looks like a dying graphics card.

Nope, not having problems with any other games. This is running like shit, freezing every 10 minutes to where I need to restart the game, and then this graphical nonsense keeps happening. I can't be the only one dealing with this. It's not like I'm trying to run it on a toaster.

Edit:

tumblr_o2cgslC8Cu1u5eu8ao1_540.jpg

Seriously, what the fuck is this? I'm not sure what's more off-putting: the inconsistent framerate, having to alt+f4 to restart the game every 10 minutes, or these glitches. Can't even get a good feel for the game at this rate.

The Steam controller for me keeps cutting out, and when I try to switch over to mouse and keyboard, my guy just keeps spinning in place.

Really want to complete this on PC too...

level1

"Don't hate the player, hate the game" is a shitty argument when we're talking about people's livelihoods.

That might be so, but the root of the problem sure as hell doesn't lie in someone making use of a feature, regardless of whether they've tiptoed around rules of basic decency in doing so.

tuxfool

Banned
Nope, not having problems with any other games. This is running like shit, freezing every 10 minutes to where I need to restart the game, and then this graphical nonsense keeps happening. I can't be the only one dealing with this. It's not like I'm trying to run it on a toaster.

Edit:

Seriously, what the fuck is this? I'm not sure what's more off-putting: the inconsistent framerate, having to alt+f4 to restart the game every 10 minutes, or these glitches. Can't even get a good feel for the game at this rate.

What card is it? I've seen this happen before, and it doesn't happen consistently in every game. It depends on how the game stresses the GPU.

But those vertices are not normal. Try other Unity games if you have them. Update your drivers, reinstall them if you have to. You will be the only one dealing with it if it is a hardware issue.

Wok

Really? What constitutes an abuser in their eyes?

While I definitely don't think what Dmented did was right, I think refunding this one time shouldn't block him from seeking a refund in the future for a legit reason - say, a game simply doesn't work on his computer.

I am not saying Dmented won't be able to use the refund system again. It is just that he is in the grey zone for Valve: he could be one of the people who confuse refunds and demos. The boundaries are unclear, and I believe Valve does not want to state them clearly.

Basically, if a game is not satisfactory, you can ask for a refund. If several refunds are issued, it could be that the user is not reading reviews prior to the purchases, and that he ends up using the refund system to demo games, which constitutes an abuse.

Moss

Does this game run like absolute dogshit for anyone else? I got in on minimum setting and it's still really hitchy on my laptop. Jumping from like 15 to 30 to 20 FPS just based on where I'm looking. I can't get through the first conversation with Delilah without the game freezing and crashing. I don't exactly have a high end machine, but I put well over 200 hours in Witcher 3 and 60 or so in MGSV with smooth performance. I should be able to play a damn walking simulator.

The game may be using your integrated graphics card if you're on a laptop. Try adding a profile for firewatch.exe in your gpu control panel and make sure it is set to use the dedicated gpu.

holygeesus

Banned
While this is true, it is still pretty reprehensible that he thought that doing this was OK. He felt good enough about what he did that he wasn't ashamed to post about it.

It is and I'm not defending him in any way. My point was more that Valve should enforce their policies more stringently, as losing a $20 sale might not mean much to EA/Ubi but a small indie developer, being hit financially by this lapse in their refund system, shouldn't be taken lightly. As I said, Campo Santo are well within their rights to demand to know why Valve have allowed the guy to play for so long and get his money back. It's them being hit by this.

justjim89

What card is it? I've seen this happen before, and it doesn't happen consistently in every game. It depends on how the game stresses the GPU.

But those vertices are not normal. Try other Unity games if you have them. Update your drivers, reinstall them if you have to. You will be the only one dealing with it if it is a hardware issue.

I'm on a Geforce 840M. 8GB Ram. i5 processor. Just got this laptop like 8 months ago, and it runs most games pretty well. Never encountered something that was straight up unplayable.

The game may be using your integrated graphics card if you're on a laptop. Try adding a profile for firewatch.exe in your gpu control panel and make sure it is set to use the dedicated gpu.

I'll have to see if that's the case, it hasn't happened with anything else.

Moss

It happens with some new games. I think we are going to be included by default in Nvidia's next driver update but for now you have to add it manually.

wolfmat

Confirmed Asshole
I'm on a Geforce 840M. 8GB Ram. i5 processor. Just got this laptop like 8 months ago, and it runs most games pretty well. Never encountered something that was straight up unplayable.

Quite possible that the card went to shit just recently. Try something demanding now to compare.

I've had this nonsense happening myself a couple of times over the years. It was a dying card in every case.

If this is related to a hardware failure, you can most likely attribute it to the card.

JTripper

I really love the characters and setting so far but hearing that the ending sucks plus the annoying bugs and crashes is a bit worrisome.

I've had one crash on PS4 so far during a loading screen and many frame rate drops, which thankfully don't take me out of the game since I don't typically don't care about that kind of stuff, though I just want a good experience. I just might have to go and try out Unravel afterwards if I'm truly unfulfilled with this game.

klaushm

For those from Brazil who want to buy for PS4, there are some bad news.

PlayStation Blog said:
I've sent an email to Campo Santo asking about BR release. I've received the following answer:
Jane (Campo Santo) said:
Feb 9, 16:29
Hello Andre,
Thank you for writing!
We will be coming to the Brazilian PSN store soon! We got delayed due to some government ratings paperwork.
Sorry for the disappointment, we are bummed about that as well.
Best,
Jane
That's it guys. We can only wait.

Source: http://blog.br.playstation.com/2016/02/09/atualizacao-da-playstation-store-210/#comment-51878

Don't know how much of this is true, anyone can write anything, but, I'm sending them an email asking about it.

Lunar FC

I played day 2 without a map last night and my enjoyment skyrocketed. I've never had to use a real map in my life and it was an awesome experiance. Top tip: Don't assume what's north.

Can't wait to get home.

wolfmat

Confirmed Asshole
I gotta ask, not having received a Campo Santo response on Twitter.

The answer timer is too fast for me. Do you guys know of a way to chill it? Like, double the time would be okay.

I really dislike these answer timers in general, but it's not the end of the world. I just want it to be manageable.

It's not just me, my girlfriend also can't keep up. When the lady on the walkie asks something, the timer often has run out when we've just had time to parse the answers, but we're playing this together and it's kind of infuriating that there's no time left for any sort of debate.

Edit: I'm on PC and I'm OK with overly complicated procedures to get this working.

akileese

Edit:

I played for three hours last night and only ran into one issue. I was reading a note and when I closed it, the text overlayed over the entire game. I was able to use my mouse to save and then reload which fixed it.

I played for three hours last night and only ran into one issue. I was reading a note and when I closed it, the text overlayed over the entire game. I was able to use my mouse to save and then reload which fixed it.

happened to me MULTIPLE times. i fixed it by opening another note, and closing it. fixed.

Went to bed last night before posting but I have to say, that was one of the best intros I've experienced in a game. Felt so genuine, real, disheartening...

Seriously, the intro is amazing.

Edit: I know that's is common in games but I loved that they kept referring to Henry as "You".

wolfmat

Confirmed Asshole
I experience no performance problems whatsoever. I've got a year-old machine with totally average hardware. Framerate slightly dips sometimes when the map is up; that's it.

Game's set to high settings.

I had zero issues playing on an i7-920 (from 2008) with a GTX-970. I played with everything cranked up, no v-sync and my framerate never dropped below 60.

The intro is incredible. I played about an hour before my wife came home with our dog and that hour was probably the most engrossed in a game I've been since The Last of Us' intro sequence.

After I settled back in to keep playing, a little bit of that magic was lost. I wish I could've played it all in one sitting...should've waited for the weekend.

JRW

Any difference in price between PC and PS4 with PS+ discount (if any)?

And native 21:9 support for PC version? Leaning towards PS4 though as it is hooked up to a better sound system.

I watched a 1 hour impression video on YouTube and the user said it supported 21:9 (he's using an LG 34UM67 monitor).

Top Bottom