• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

First Baldur's Gate 3 PS5 Impressions - "No Stable 60FPS - Performance vs Quality Mode"

The new consoles will have really good CPUs, they said. 60fps gaming will be the standard going forward on console, they said.

Seems to me that despite the criticism from some directions, Sony have got it right bringing out a PS5 Pro next year after all. And MS will still have to support that leper S console.

Last edited:

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Like those people who complain when you say you like to play on easy mode. And the ones who tell you that you don't deserve trophies/achievements because you didn't work as hard for them as they did. People treating games like jobs. Complete childishness.

I play on easy mode AND use cheat engine.

funny-animals-funny-cat.gif

shamoomoo

The new consoles will have really good CPUs, they said. 60fps gaming will be the standard going forward on console, they said.

Seems to me that despite the criticism from some directions, Sony have got it right bringing out a PS5 Pro next year after all. And MS will still have to support that leper S console.
Even if that were true, you still need a game engine to take advantage of these processors.

Fabieter

I've reloaded in combat quite a lot of times due to bugs, bad luck and my stupid ass playing a launch game on Tactician, when it was clearly not properly tested. Or the fact that certain character killed someone at the start of the game but the game decided that, nah theyre both fine. Should I have lived with that consequence or reloaded? Again, "save scumming" the idea just triggers me. Let people decide their own fate. It's a game, it wont ruin it and I doubt people reload every second due to bad choices. The game isnt that unfair. Dice rolls aret skill based. Baldurs Gate hardly has any skill involved. Players who live with every dice roll, arent better at the game than those who dont.

I agree with dice rolls but imo it's save scumming to make a decision win the dice and dont be happy with the outcome. Whats the point of your decision?

Dunkelgrau

I think some of you guys here have some serious problems. In the meantime, I've been playing in performance mode for about twelve hours and the game runs really smoothly. Yes, I can't play it in quality mode because it makes me nauseous. Yes, Horizon looks much better. But guys, what's the point? I haven't even had any bugs yet and the camera movement feels fantastic.

King Dazzar

I think some of you guys here have some serious problems. In the meantime, I've been playing in performance mode for about twelve hours and the game runs really smoothly. Yes, I can't play it in quality mode because it makes me nauseous. Yes, Horizon looks much better. But guys, what's the point? I haven't even had any bugs yet and the camera movement feels fantastic.
Good to hear. Is that with or without VRR enabled?

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Apparently the game is also pretty much unplayable in split-screen on PS5 according to a lot of people on Reddit. It starts out alright, but after a few hours it starts freezing for several seconds every time you change characters in battle, when someone transforms, etc.

Seems like this version is not really finished.

RoadHazard

Gold Member

That video shows it dropping below 30fps in the city in performance mode. That's absolutely terrible.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Apparently audio is also broken unless you disable 3D audio in the system settings, HDR is broken, account linking doesn't work properly, tutorials are broken and don't pop up when they should, etc. Lol, it's like they just threw this version out there without anyone actually testing it. Think I'll be waiting like 6 months before getting this.

Edit: Also a bunch of crashing it seems, including the entire PS5 shutting off.

Last edited:

Dunkelgrau

I had to disable 3D audio. HDR is diabled by default, because it’s broken in any game and my LCD sucks in terms of HDR anyways. 🤷🏻‍♂️

lmimmfn

I dont know why everyone is shitting on performance, the game is fine at 30FPS simply because its turn based, loading/saving can be annoying, i dont know about co-op on PC or PS5 but the game itself is absolutely fantastic, an AA game that is better than the AAA shit we've been dealt with.

Last edited:
I dont know why everyone is shitting on performance, the game is fine at 30FPS simply because its turn based, loading/saving can be annoying, i dont know about co-op on PC or PS5 but the game itself is absolutely fantastic, an AA game that is better than the AAA shit we've been dealt with.
you don't know why someone in 2023 is "shitting" on perf mode on a next gen console? Because it performs terribly, and should be unacceptable for anything outside of early access. The game was, and still is, broken in many regards. Had to turn off 3d audio just so my sound worked. "Don't you guys even have cell phones 30 FPS??"

StereoVsn

Like those people who complain when you say you like to play on easy mode. And the ones who tell you that you don't deserve trophies/achievements because you didn't work as hard for them as they did. People treating games like jobs. Complete childishness.
Yep. I also play From games on "Easy Mode" , ie mods 😉.

I like to Save Scumm and I can not lie
You other Neogaffers can't deny
That when a CRPG releases with great and thicc Combat Rollses
And a whole bunch of Player Choices
You get to Scumm!

😂😂😂

Dunkelgrau

It doesn't bother me that I had to turn off 3D sound: BG3 has no good 3D sound effects anyways. And I don't play any other games at the moment, too. Also Larian posted on Reddit, that they will provide a fix for this issue soon.

Last edited:

lmimmfn

you don't know why someone in 2023 is "shitting" on perf mode on a next gen console? Because it performs terribly, and should be unacceptable for anything outside of early access. The game was, and still is, broken in many regards. Had to turn off 3d audio just so my sound worked. "Don't you guys even have cell phones 30 FPS??"
The game is playable at 30FPS or 60FPS, yes the latter is nicer but it's a strategy turn based game so 30FPS is fine. If you're disappointed with the FPS get a PC.

Not trying to take away from your experience but your complaints are minor for one if not the best games in years(I hadn't even following this until release but it's amazing and my favourite game since Witcher 3)

Last edited:

RoadHazard

Gold Member
The game is playable at 30FPS or 60FPS, yes the latter is nicer but it's a strategy turn based game so 30FPS is fine. If you're disappointed with the FPS get a PC.

Except it doesn't actually run consistently at either of those. They both drop below their target framerates (performance mode even drops below 30 later in the game), and I'm also seeing reports that on quality mode the framepacing is off.

Sure, this doesn't really affect the gameplay in a game like this, but it looks and feels awful. I would be fine with 30 in this game IF it was consistent.

Last edited:

Outlier

I'm playing it on PC too and with an SSD my load times on PC were rather nuts.. I love this game but it's horribly unoptimized..
I'm assuming the game doesn't make use of the fast load times the PS5 is capable of. I understand my Windows 10 PC taking 20-30s to initially load, but PS5 taking 40s+!!!???

Yeah... maybe Larian will hopefully make some upgrades.

How do I downvote this comment? Your lack of standards and being unable to notice framerate issues doesn't apply to everyone so what are you accomplishing defending this $70 game through this lens of ignorance?

You were probably one of the people talking about how Elden Ring "feels perfectly fine" too. Am I right?

It looks better than Wild Hearts. 🤷🏻‍♂️ Elden Ring looked fine for me in the first hours, but I haven‘t beaten Margit yet.

I am able to notice framerate issues! As I mentioned before, quality mode is not playable for me.

Sorry I was too harsh with my comment. Elden Rings fps issues are most noticeable riding fast on horse btw.

Last edited:

Jimmy_liv

Here's another video. He says that performance mode is a upscaled from a native resolution of 1080p. PS5 can't deliver a solid 60fps. Most of the time it's between 40-50fps. Performance in Act 3 runs like rubbish and is around 30fps in performance mode. Larian says they're aware of it and are working on a fix (I'm getting really tired of hearing stuff like this honestly). I'm disappointed in this port. I'll probably wait to see if the Series X version fares a little better before choosing which console to play it on.

It was rushed out so PS5 had something to go up against Starfield.

King Dazzar

Not trying to take away from your experience but your complaints are minor for one if not the best games in years(I hadn't even following this until release but it's amazing and my favourite game since Witcher 3)
Its great that you're content and enjoying it. But its not for you to tell people what platform they should game on and how much value they should or shouldn't place on a locked 60fps. We all have different expectations and sensitivities. Pushing for better optimised performance has got to be a good thing for everyone. After all you can still play away at 30fps if that's all you need. Which is fine. Some of us want and expect more. Which is fine too.

Dream-Knife

Banned

It'll be the same story in 2025.

The idea of generations is completely obsolete now.

lmimmfn

Its great that you're content and enjoying it. But its not for you to tell people what platform they should game on and how much value they should or shouldn't place on a locked 60fps. We all have different expectations and sensitivities. Pushing for better optimised performance has got to be a good thing for everyone. After all you can still play away at 30fps if that's all you need. Which is fine. Some of us want and expect more. Which is fine too.
No, I agree with you completely, my point was only that it's a slow turn based game that doesn't necessarily require high FPS.

Denton

Even if that were true, you still need a game engine to take advantage of these processors.

I think BG3 does take pretty good advantage of multicore CPUs - look at the CPU utilization in the busiest places in the city - All cores of my 5800X3D are saturated quite well:

baldursgate3screenshoofcx9.png

baldursgate3screensho63f1i.png

yamaci17

I think BG3 does take pretty good advantage of multicore CPUs - look at the CPU utilization in the busiest places in the city - All cores of my 5800X3D are saturated quite well:

baldursgate3screenshoofcx9.png

baldursgate3screensho63f1i.png
that's because the 3d cache can actually feed your 8 core CPU

the other CPus have abysmal cache compared to the 3D CPUs. take the most common ryzen 3600 for exampe. a mere 32 mb cache. these midrange cpus are having a hard time and hitting memory and cache bottlenecks all the time. that's still a problem. you cannot design your game around super highend cpus with high caches

vkbest

I'm assuming the game doesn't make use of the fast load times the PS5 is capable of. I understand my Windows 10 PC taking 20-30s to initially load, but PS5 taking 40s+!!!???

Yeah... maybe Larian will hopefully make some upgrades.
SSD only accelerate loading assets. If the game is calculating the state of the world in the loading, that is pure CPU computing. In PS5 usually the game is 60fps until you get into a town. Even with no NPC in the screen the framerate drops, probably because they are making some expensive calculations in CPU when you go into those areas (probably unoptimized code).

Last edited:

RoboFu

One of the green rats
Apparently the game is also pretty much unplayable in split-screen on PS5 according to a lot of people on Reddit. It starts out alright, but after a few hours it starts freezing for several seconds every time you change characters in battle, when someone transforms, etc.

irony.gif

StereoVsn

Frustrated Whats Wrong With You GIF by Steve Harvey TV

I look at all the possibilities and reload 10 times. Everyone plays differently. And not just the way you like it.
Yep, jeez people are annoying and pedantic sometimes. It's an SP game, who cares?

I will save scummy if I don't like the outcome. Hell, sometimes I save scummy to see bunch of different outcomes because that's what I like in an CRPG like this one.

I also cheat at Sekiro, Dark Souls, and okay Elden Ring with an easy mod, lol.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?

Steve Harvey Wow GIF by NBC

I would love to get a legit sample size of how many people actually even use the local split screen feature in this. Hopefully Larian provides metrics like how Bioware did with the Mass Effect games breaking down percentages of different play styles and all major choices in their games.

Last edited:

NecrosaroIII

Ask me about my terrible takes on Star Trek characters
Steve Harvey Wow GIF by NBC

I would love to get a legit sample size of how many people actually even use the local split screen feature in this. Hopefully Larian provides metrics like how Bioware did with the Mass Effect games breaking down percentages of different play styles and all major choices in their games.
I was planning on playing couch coop woth my wife.

Cyberpunkd

I look at all the possibilities and reload 10 times. Everyone plays differently. And not just the way you like it.
I would have played like this a decade ago, but now I just embrace the RP aspect and go with the flow, especially since BG3 is a game you can actually RP (as opposed to many other RPGs where your choices do not matter so much at the end).

Also - where is my Mac version? Push the damn button Larian.

Last edited:

twilo99

I hear the patch coming out to fix all these problems is code named “xss hot fix” internally…

RoadHazard

Gold Member
I don't understand why this game is so heavy on the CPU anyway. Yeah, there's a bunch of NPCs in the city, but they don't exactly seem to have super complex AI behaviors.

twilo99

that's because the 3d cache can actually feed your 8 core CPU

the other CPus have abysmal cache compared to the 3D CPUs. take the most common ryzen 3600 for exampe. a mere 32 mb cache. these midrange cpus are having a hard time and hitting memory and cache bottlenecks all the time. that's still a problem. you cannot design your game around super highend cpus with high caches

5800x3d is certainly not “super” high end CPU in terms of price… it’s kinda mid actually

The fact that people are admitting to save scumming and using cheat mods on Fromsoft games is making me feel ill. I am not among my people.

Last edited:
The fact that people are admitting to save scumming and using cheat mods on Fromsoft games is making me feel ill. I am not among my people.
You save scummed as well 100%. Also cheating and quick saving/quick reloading in the same sentence is idiotic. Fuck cheaters, but people reloading a save is not a good hill to die on, especially when everyone has done it. Im not going to go into the difference of failing a dice roll in combat and reloading vs story AGAIN because theyre the same thing but idiots on high horse like to think theyre not. They are, there is no "save scumming" get over it.

Last edited:
As much praise the game gets on PC, it sounds like a From Software situation with tech that is not really a masterpiece, not nearly as good as the rest of the game. It looks fine I suppose but not mind blowing, this-is-pro-refresh-time good. Blaming mostly Larian for the coop debacle on XSS seems to be the right call. No MS engineer can fix stuff that is fundamentally not really anymore in the reach of the consoles the game was supposed to run on, when PS5, and presumably XSX, suffer too often too. Larian did a Crysis, aimed too high and did a terible optimisation for lower end, ie consoles. Crysis/cry-engine needed some heavy lifting to come on consoles in its next iteration and basically changed designed of the game world entirely. Larian should possibly not have included consoles at all if they were so limited in their manpower and expertise, almost like CD Project should not have included last gen. Which is imho just an utter failure in planning out your engine and optimisation requirements. Unless this can be fixed in a couple of weeks with some patches, but the concluded compromised XSS situation makes that unlikely in my view.
The engine seems to not have been made with consoles in mind.

Last edited:

Senua

Really good compared to the jaguars, but that's like saying a piss bath is better than a poop bath. I kid but they were decent on release unlike the jaguars which were shite on release

Really good compared to the jaguars, but that's like saying a piss bath is better than a poop bath. I kid but they were decent on release unlike the jaguars which were shite on release

Yeah I agree not the best but good enough for getting cross gen games to run at 60FPS. At least that's what I've noticed.

Top Bottom