• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

First Gears of War 4 Beta Gameplay

nOoblet16

I like how some people are able to judge the AA and texture resolution from a poorly encoded 720P video though. That and the fact that the video is only running at half the framerate.

And the people who are claiming this looks worse than UE...are we forgetting how many complaints UE received for its graphics in MP? Remember that picture of Marcus looking at the sea in Gridlock and how people said Gears 1 looks better than UE. People are always too quick to come to conclusion from first looks. The final game will no doubt have some effects added to it as well since public betas are generally a few months old and a WIP.

Equally ridiculous are the expectations that the graphics in this game (and the multiplayer nonetheless) were going to blow them away...why? Simply because Gears 1 was the best looking game when it came out and this is the first new Gears for the current gen. It's like some people have forgotten that The Coalition mentioned several times that they want 1080P/60FPS from the multiplayer....did you really expect that level of graphical detail at that framerate and resolution from the Xbox One?

People have very unfair expectations I feel.

Even given its early state, this looks pretty unimpressive visually. This is really coming out this year?

Otherwise, the SP already shown looked pretty nice.

This post is hilarious.

So long as they bring KoTH back I will be pleased.

Yeah seriously. Thank fuck Gears 4 isn't trying too hard to redefine itself or change just to get more sales, then we'd have a Halo 4 on our hands, and we all know how that went.

If you're not interested in a franchise, but then the fourth iteration suddenly grabs you, it's probably because it's abandoned the features that started the series in the first place. Go find some other game.

greenegt

C'mon guys. Rod stated several times that this is a true beta and not a "demo". Of course it's going to look better at release.

Warxard

Banned
Yeah seriously. Thank fuck Gears 4 isn't trying too hard to redefine itself or change just to get more sales, then we'd have a Halo 4 on our hands, and we all know how that went.

If you're not interested in a franchise, but then the fourth iteration suddenly grabs you, it's probably because it's abandoned the features that started the series in the first place. Go find some other game.

For real. Hell I'm still irked that Epic even had to add that carrot stick XP bullshit in 2 and ditching server browsing in favor of matchmaking. But these are the kind of people that play these games now...

nOoblet16

We could be watching multiplayer of GoW1/2/3 for all I know. You'd think after 10 years, it would be something different? I hate to say it, but at last the CoD games have changed for the better.

I'm sure the Single Player campaign will be great like the past games, but the MP isn't selling itself to me at all.
1) Gears 1 plays very differet and nothing like Gears 2/3. You're lumping them together just so you could make a point. Just because they feature Roadie run, Shotgun and Roll, doesn't mean it's the same..it's like claiming all Uncharted games play the same cause you have Nathan Drake climbing and shooting. It's a mechanic that is staple of the series and it's not going to get ditched for the sake of change. You are looking at it from an outsider's perspective, which is always generalised and unfamiliar with the actual change.

2) Change for the sake of change is ridiculous. If it works and if it's what fans want then there is no need. Don't fix what's not broken.

3) They tried huge changes with Judgement, but I guessed you missed that game? Well I don't blame you, since everyone, even the fans, gave that game a miss. If it worked we wouldn't be seeing Gears 4 go back to Gears 2/3 formula. Remember how Halo 4 tried to redefine and how that worked out and how Halo 5 went back to the formula?

I do hope the final game looks a little nicer for multiplayer but you also have to remember the difference between halo 5 beta and final was very little visually, I don't expect to see a huge jump in quality from this beta to the final experience

1) Gears 1 plays very differet and nothing like Geard 2/3. You're lumping them together is just so you could make a point. Just because they feature Roadie run, Shotgun and Roll..it's like claiming all Uncharted games look the same cause you have Nathan Drake climbing and shooting. It's a mechanic that is staple of the series and it's not going to get ditched.

2) Change for the sake of change is ridiculous. If it works and if it's what fans want then there is no need. Don't fix what's not broken.

3) They tried your big change with Judgement...loom how it turned out. If it worked we wouldn't be seeing Gears 4 go back to Gears 2/3 formula.

Yep. Gears is one of the few hardcore multiplayer games on console where even the tiniest change, that most developers don't need to consider, will ruin the gameplay and drive away fans. I personally didn't mind Judgement, I saw it for what it was as a spin off, and it was interesting, but clearly the majority of people didn't like it and hence we have Gears 4 further refining what Gears 3 mastered.

OrangeOak

I really don't like the look of these maps. First one looks like that Rig map from Judgement and it just doesn't fit in Gears game in my opinion. Second one is also similar.
I love maps that look like Old Town, Canalas or Clocktower with some nice archeticture and mood and not some industrial boring places straight from military shooters.

malfcn

Another beta and people shitting on it. The game is 5-6 months away. Plenty of time to polish. The way things are jumped on its crazy.

Theorry

I do hope the final game looks a little nicer for multiplayer but you also have to remember the difference between halo 5 beta and final was very little visually, I don't expect to see a huge jump in quality from this beta to the final experience

Was a pretty huge jump imo. Beta was 720p and the full game in arena almost all the time 1080p.

You really think in the next 6 months they suddenly just discover the "amazing graphics" switch that they could find up until now?

I never expected it to have amazing graphics in the first place but please, judge it when it is more like a finalized product, the way development works, you know.

You really think in the next 6 months they suddenly just discover the "amazing graphics" switch that they could find up until now?

There have been games that have gone from locked fps to unlocked with a patch. I remember Saints Row (1 or 2) did this.

Anyone got a mirror for the video, I watched a bit on my phone, but now it's gone when I'm on my pc.

Do you believe that this is a current up to date build of the game?

I don't really care to be honest.

This is the state of the engine they chose to show consumers so I am going to judge the game based on this beta

Should I give them the benefit of the doubt and presume it will look better?

It is on Xbox One, don't expect jawdropping stuff, they are doing what is necessary for the MP gameplay within the limitations of the hardware.

Also this is a beta, in the sense of software development beta. Halo 5 turned from beta's 720p framerate drops to locked 60fps and more refined visuals in the final game. It can happen on Gears 4 as well, improvement is improvement, no matter how much it is and your "expectations".

Wasn't able to see the video, it's set to private. But damn, going by these reactions you'd think it's the worst looking game ever. Odd, because the gif looked quite good. I remember the Gears 3 beta and that looked damn good with great lighting and smooth gameplay. People can say it's still very early, but October really isn't that far away and again Gears 3 beta looked fantastic and I think that was even further away from its launch at the time.

Man I would be disappointed and shocked if Gears 4 doesn't turn out to be very nice in the graphics sense. Gears has never disappointed in that. And now with UE4 you just expect something really good looking.

But I haven't seen the video so I can't judge it. Guess I'll see it next week.

greenegt

This is the state of the engine they chose to show consumers so I am going to judge the game based on this beta

As informed gamers, we should have a better perspective than that. This is why we don't get true betas very often.

nOoblet16

Then it's your problem to think that way.
Beta builds are old because they need to go through specific requirement and even certification and that takes time, the game development doesn't stop while the beta release is worked upon.

Not trying to antagonise but it's because of people with similar mindset to yours that developers go out of their way to put a note in the game that the beta is WIP and not the final experience...and this is why we never have true beta builds for public.

Beta is suppose to test out the mechanics, it's not suppose to be a promotional material for the consumers representative of the actual game...which is what you want/think it is.

People keep bringing up H5 like there was some drastic difference between the beta and the release. It definitely looked better but it wasn't a huge improvement

Warxard

Banned

...I mean...that's what they did for Gears 3???

Then again the fact that you're incapable of caring about the game's in-development looks not being final says a lot about gamers these days.

You should judge the game the same way every game is judged - the finished product retailing for full price at launch, because you have no idea what their internal development schedule is like.

Also, no wonder gameplay in modern games is going downhill, a developer puts out an actual beta, to improve the most important part of the game, the GAMEPLAY, and they get shat on for the game not looking finished.

MIMF

Do character shadows really count ? Especially when they are lit by an invisible point light source hovering around the character and not the lighting found in the environment.. which is all baked in UE. Even Gears 1 did that.

Point is, UE was similar to this in this regard.

I absolutely agree that just dynamic shadows for the characters is very poor and old, but the truth is that in this footage even that is missing.

And regarding the fake point from where the character shadow are rendered, this was a very common practice in UE3 that even allowed the interpolation of the closest local lights positions to create on the fly a virtual position from where the shadows were rendered. But the engine was capable of rendering a dynamic infinite light (direct sun lighting) that could cast shadows for all the environment and characters at the same time (as it was the case in the Gears of War 2 reveal trailer, not seen in the final game).

The reason why this was not used was because the performance was bad and the shadows quality was not good at all, UE3 was tuned for static lighting. In the latest games using UE3 such as Gears3, they made a very good looking approach by mixing/blending the dynamic shadows of the characters with the environment prebaked shadows while at the same time making the static geometry of the environment cast shadow on the characters. This technique was also recently used in other forward lighting games such as Forza Motorsport 5.

People keep bringing up H5 like there was some drastic difference between the beta and the release. It definitely looked better but it wasn't a huge improvement

The beta was 720p with framedrops, the final game in arena MP hovers closely to 1080p (or is it 900p locked? cant remember) with locked 60fps, that alone is quite an improvement.

Wasn't able to see the video, it's set to private. But damn, going by these reactions you'd think it's the worst looking game ever. Odd, because the gif looked quite good. I remember the Gears 3 beta and that looked damn good with great lighting and smooth gameplay. People can say it's still very early, but October really isn't that far away and again Gears 3 beta looked fantastic and I think that was even further away from its launch at the time.

Man I would be disappointed and shocked if Gears 4 doesn't turn out to be very nice in the graphics sense. Gears has never disappointed in that. And now with UE4 you just expect something really good looking.

You need to adjust your expectations. They can only do so much with the X1 hardware. It definitely isn't going to push any boundaries

it got a better framerate

Yeah that was the best part. Visually it was not that different

The beta was 720p with framedrops, the final game in arena MP hovers closely to 1080p (or is it 900p locked? cant remember) with locked 60fps, that alone is quite an improvement.

Performance will definitely continue to be refined I'm only talking about the graphics

nOoblet16

But what about the expectations due to the Xbone hardware?
It will most likely turn out to be a great looking game, but with simpler visuals in MP.

Rocketz

This isn't a beta to show people how the great the game looks. You want that go look at the Doom or Battleborn demo I mean beta.

People here actually saying UE looks better? How the hell can that be possible? Sure I'm not expecting to fall off my couch because of the amazing MP graphics but it sure as Shit should look better than the remaster of a 360 game. Plenty of betas ended up having the same graphics in final game. Crisis 2 comes to mind, Gears 3 and I am willing to bet the Uncharted 4 MP will definitely look like that in the full game, which is all really fine. I'm a little worried now. I'm just a big graphics guy and I find it about damn time we get to see some truly impressive looking games on our Xbox One. Remedy showed that it can be done.

Of course this is only about the MP because we can't really talk about the SP yet. Except for last year's footage.

wapplew

You need to adjust your expectations. They can only do so much with the X1 hardware. It definitely isn't going to push any boundaries

Yeah that was the best part. Visually it was not that different

Performance will definitely continue to be refined I'm only talking about the graphics
just wait for that Xbox 1.6 footage!

Angel_DvA

That is Microsoft/Coalition fault though, this type of negative reception was pretty clear after their embargo bullshit and their refusal to show any gameplay, YOU NEED to show your game one day, especially before some dude post a bad encoded video at 30FPS on Alpha footage...

I guess they'll never learn, glad you lose your time and money for a stupid CGI cinematic that bring nothing to us two days ago

From what I've seen, it looks like Gears but the visuals are pretty rough, they need to show us proper gameplay form their actual build because the first impression is bad...

Theorry

People here actually saying UE looks better? How the hell can that be possible? Sure I'm not expecting to fall off my couch because of the amazing MP graphics but it sure as Shit should look better than the remaster of a 360 game. Plenty of betas ended up having the same graphics in final game. Crisis 2 comes to mind, Gears 3 and I am willing to bet the Uncharted 4 MP will definitely look like that in the full game, which is all really fine. I'm a little worried now. I'm just a big graphics guy and I find it about damn time we get to see some truly impressive looking games on our Xbox One. Remedy showed that it can be done.

Of course this is only about the MP because we can't really talk about the SP yet. Except for last year's footage.

Dude its a real beta. Probably quite a old build also and the focus is on the servers and player feedback. And its a very crappy vid compression wise with half the framerate.

R3TRODYCE

Hmm...Yeah that's Gears alright. I didn't expect anything drastically different given its a sequel in a long running franchise but man that looked like something I played a decade ago.

Generally graphical refinements are done much later in the cycle, like around now, sometimes as late as after the game is content locked and feature complete, and this beta build is likely months older like any convention/media preview build.

Top Bottom