• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

First Gears of War 4 Beta Gameplay

Fotos

All these people freaking out over the graphics. Obviously this is a very early build and you are crazy if you think the game will look like this when it releases. There are literally no shadows in this demo so that should be a dead give away that it's an early build. Chill out Jesus.

I can't speak on the visuals because it looks like stuff is turned off.

Gameplay wise you probably won't be hearing any "This isn't Gears" complaints. Looks to be Gears as fuck.

All these people freaking out over the graphics. Obviously this is a very early build and you are crazy if you think the game will look like this when it releases. There are literally no shadows in this demo so that should be a dead give away that it's an early build. Chill out Jesus.

Give one game released on either console where the beta hasn't been a good barometer of visuals

Generally graphical refinements are done much later in the cycle, like around now, sometimes as late as after the game is content locked and feature complete, and this beta build is likely months older like any convention/media preview build.

Yeah I agree but I'm just saying there won't be a big difference. ND is known as really applying a huge amount of polish in the lead up to release and even when looking at their exclusive and then public beta there isn't a huge difference. It's just refined

You need to adjust your expectations. They can only do so much with the X1 hardware. It definitely isn't going to push any boundaries

Yeah that was the best part. Visually it was not that different

Performance will definitely continue to be refined I'm only talking about the graphics

Definitely not expecting any miracles with the MP graphics, being it 60fps and all but it should at least look better than the previous games.

But what about the expectations due to the Xbone hardware?
It will most likely turn out to be a great looking game, but with simpler visuals in MP.

I am ok with that and definitely expected it but man, a lot of missing here.

Dude its a real beta. Probably quite a old build also and the focus is on the servers and player feedback. And its a very crappy vid compression wise with half the framerate.

I really hope so man. It would certainly explain the lack of Shadows and many other effects that complete it. I don't really fear for the framerate. I believe they'll nail that but I really hope the usual effects and pretty much any game has nowadays, shadows, lighting and so on will be implemented.

Hopefully a damn nice looking campaign video during E3.

I dont get why people think that the MP graphics will see a big boost. Its 60fps 1080p, wasnt that what everyone wanted?

Some of you have to deal with the sacrifices that have to be made.

Purest 78

I've accepted that these consoles arent strong enough to push 1080p 60fps with great graphics. I think the graphics can be OK or good but nothing extreme at 1080p 60fps.

wapplew

Early build missing effect and all, map design and animation is a little raw too.
Whole map just one big layer of grids. Everything lineup in perfect 90 degree, very not organic and static.

SilentRob

I don't really care to be honest.

This is the state of the engine they chose to show consumers so I am going to judge the game based on this beta

Should I give them the benefit of the doubt and presume it will look better?

Posts like these are the reason developers and publishers are so hesitant to give as real betas or insights into game development. As long as you are fine with that, yeah, go ahead and keep judging.

I've accepted that these consoles arent strong enough to push 1080p 60fps with great graphics. I think the graphics can be OK or good but nothing extreme at 1080p 60fps.
From what I seen Overwatch looks damn good on consoles and its 60fps. Plants Vs Zombies 2 is another beauty that looks and runs well.

allan-bh

I liked, looks exactly as Gears of War MP is and for me that's a good thing, but the graphics should be better on final version or will be disappointing.

I feel like we say this about every game before release, only to be just as disappointed.

Slixshot

Banned
That doesn't even look like a beta. That looks almost pre-alpha with the textures on those character models and the unfinished looking maps.

nib95

Banned
I dont get why people think that the MP graphics will see a big boost. Its 60fps 1080p, wasnt that what everyone wanted?

Is it actually 1080p? I'd be surprised if it was at this point. I'm expecting 900p or less, dynamic resolution, or some sort of reprojection or reconstruction process a la Quantum Break or Killzone.

Fotos

Because stuff is literally turned off. Do you think the game will really release with 0 shadows at all????? Very rarely do games have betas this early. The only other game on console I can think of is Halo 5 but that seemed extremely polished for being a year out. Some gameplay of Halo 4 a couple months from release didn't look as polished as that.

I think everyone's just tripping. Gears UE was 60fps and that looked fine to me so I don't see why people think the graphics will suddenly tank. Halo 5 at 60fps has loads more detail than Halo 4 on 360. Just saying.

Also separate point, it's cool seeing a franchise being taken over by a new company and staying true to the games roots. If only another Microsoft franchise did the same and didn't completely shit on the true fans.

Who said this guy playing sucks because he is dang good from what I am seeing.

Watching it again I actually take back a lot of what I said. This has to be an internal build not the public one. I think it will look a lot better than this next week. I think this is old footage

Angel_DvA

I just don't want it to be a Gnasher fest tbh.

Stopping power might have been a good thing.

Stopping power is annoying and slowdown the gameplay too much, Gears is about the Gnasher, it's how people love to play it, from the gameplay leaked, the lanzor looks pretty strong if you know how to handle it, you don't need stopping power if you know how to shoot...

Is it actually 1080p? I'd be surprised if it was at this point. I'm expecting 900p or less, dynamic resolution, or some sort of reprojection or reconstruction process a la Quantum Break or Killzone.

After playing QB I have to say I would be fine if they did the same for Gears 4 SP. At many times in QB it looks so damn good that you could fool me and say it's definitely above 720p. It seems the dev is dead set on 1080p for Gears 4 though.

Trup1aya

Give one game released on either console where the beta hasn't been a good barometer of visuals

Yeah I agree but I'm just saying there won't be a big difference. ND is known as really applying a huge amount of polish in the lead up to release and even when looking at their exclusive and then public beta there isn't a huge difference. It's just refined

I think comparing this to most other Beta's would be doing yourself a disservice because most other Beta's haven't really been Beta's... They were multiplayer demos and/or stress tests.

This is a true technical beta and many of the graphical effects have clearly been turned OFF. I'd expect that to change before the game ships.

Vire

Visuals looks awful, but beyond that I didn't exactly see much new in here either.

If I wanted to play Gears 1 multiplayer, I still have that on the shelf.

pizzacat

Banned
I just don't want it to be a Gnasher fest tbh.

Stopping power might have been a good thing.
Stopping power can't stop someone who uses good cover. If you don't use cover effectively assaults still win every day.

Also worth saying that the person playing knows what they're doing so it's not a journalist, the people inside coalition know how to play gears. So controlled leak? Video sent to other people to distribute on Thursday who knows?

I think comparing this to most other Beta's would be doing yourself a disservice because most other Beta's haven't really been Beta's... They were multiplayer demos and/or stress tests.

This is a true technical beta and many of the graphical effects have clearly been turned OFF. I'd expect that to change before the game ships.

Yeah I watched it on my phone before but this Daily Motion vid is very clearly an internal build test. Everything is turned off like already mentioned. Game will look way way better than this.

Theorry

Visuals looks awful, but beyond that I didn't exactly see much new in here either.

If I wanted to play Gears 1 multiplayer, I still have that on the shelf.

This is nothing like GoW 1 more like GoW 3 wich everyone wants. They tried something new and its called Judgement and nobody liked it,

zsynqx

Banda les habla el médico del pixel, Dr.Gamer y les agradezco su manita arriba si les gusto el vídeo y todas sus opiniones. No olviden seguirnos en nuestras redes sociales y también darse una vuela por ResetMX.

Description under the video. No idea what it says.

Whompa02

Gamers are never happy with what they get.

60 fps, "game looks like shit!"

30 fps, "game looks like shit!"

Surprised anyone wants to make games when your fanbase is so venomous.

A while ago (a week or two?) Rod said on Twitter that the beta is 1080p 60fps.

tuna_love

Banned
Description under the video. No idea what it says.
The doctor speaks band pixel, Dr.Gamer and I thank her little hand up if you liked the video and all opinions. Do not forget to follow us on our social networks and fly shop po
¯_(ツ)_/¯
Google translate

joker1.gif

really bad

big_z

hehe it does look like shit tho.

its missing a bunch of shading, lighting passes and final textures. you test maps early to check the quality. you don't finish everything then test it only to find out it blows. that be a huge waste of time and money. final game will look better obviously.

Top Bottom