• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

First Heavenly Sword review. And the score is...

jetjevons

Bish loves my games!
Sounds like a considerable improvement over the demo. I'll wait for some more reliable reviews but so far so good!

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
Belfast said:
No collectables is a con?

the game is SO GOOD, the only thing they can really complain about is how there isn't something the game never aimed to provide in the first place

Dante

!!!!!!

Yes!

I am soooo hyped for this game.

And don't worry, EGM will give you guys your low scores to disccredit the game all you want.

tribal24

Banned
Dante said:
!!!!!!

Yes!

I am soooo hyped for this game.

And don't worry, EGM will give you guys your low scores to disccredit the game all you want.

:lol :lol

cant wait aswell but im mroe hyped for warhawk?!?!?

Fina1e

I want this game to be great. So much effort looks like it was put into it. From using WETA, to having Andy Serkis on the project.

NT deserves it.

VonGak!

Banned
Tieno said:
Did the reviewer say anything about the Kai segments? I love the demo, but the video of those gameplay segments makes me worried.

Same here, the pacing and controls looked very awkward in the short demonstration compared to the rest of the game.

tribal24

Banned
VonGak! said:
Same here, the pacing and controls looked very awkward in the short demonstration compared to the rest of the game.

by awkward if you mean the slowing down and controlling the arrows? You dont have to do that all the time. I welcome the kai sections even if there awkward becuase its a different play style but i would like to see what else you can do with kai like if she has puzzles or anything of that sort

AZ Greg

I'm so torn on this game. Enjoyed the demo, enjoyed the 1UP show preview, and am glad to see a positive review (hopefully more to come). But the game just happens to come out in the middle of too many other good releases. With Madden 08, Bioshock, and Warhawk out before HS and Halo 3, Ratchet, and Uncharted coming afterwards, I just don't know if I can justify picking this game up at launch, especially with reports of it only being about 10 hours. I think I'll pick it up, along with Oblivion GOTY edition PS3, around Christmas.

tanod

when is my burrito
Lain said:
Yep, sharp knees and all that.

But they're anti-aliased. Does that help?

I like my women to have anti-aliasing and even some PS3-style smoothing thrown in for good measure.

f@luS

More than a member.
are u guys new in that kind of game? Dmc , Gow, theyre all kinda short. Even i finished NGsigma in 11hours few weeks ago.

Imho 10hours Beat em up >>> 20hours anything else. Its just pure fun and madness

deepbrown

under the impression HS is 12-15 hours with loads of replayability (moves to unlock and can be used on any level)....

Plus all the POP's are under 12hours, GOW, DMC, TOMB RAIDER - all 10-12 hours

FightyF

Banned
- needs more bosses/enemy diversity

That was my thought of the demo...but I was hoping it was just the demo.

It's not a game breaker for me, but I wanted more diversity mainly because I think the combat system is great and you need more enemies with diversity to show it off more and to put it to good use.

AZ Greg said:
I'm so torn on this game. Enjoyed the demo, enjoyed the 1UP show preview, and am glad to see a positive review (hopefully more to come). But the game just happens to come out in the middle of too many other good releases. With Madden 08, Bioshock, and Warhawk out before HS and Halo 3, Ratchet, and Uncharted coming afterwards, I just don't know if I can justify picking this game up at launch, especially with reports of it only being about 10 hours. I think I'll pick it up, along with Oblivion GOTY edition PS3, around Christmas.

Yeah, due to length I'm just gonna rent it. Unlike other single player games like MGS which give you many reason to play the game over, I don't see much replayability in this game. At the same time, it's a game you'd like to have in your library of games. I'll wait until it hits Greatest Hits.

Ashhong

Testicular Sound Express said:
tell me when there are reviews from sources that aren't pro sony.

I don't get it. Since you want to know, I am assuming you have a PS3 right? Cause if you don't you should just stfu and get out.

If you do have a PS3, are you not Pro-Sony? Then are your tastes/opinions not somewhat similar? It's a different story if we go to, say a 1up review for LittleBigPlanet by Shoe. But no, you have same interests as a "pro-sony" team, so stop trying to join the bandwagon and be funny.

Gadfly

While flying into a tree he exclaimed "Egad!"
Maxwell House said:
The magazine is called PSX Extreme. Excuse us if we think that it might be SLIGHTLY Sony biased.

:lol
First: I think HS is a beautiful game.

Second: I did a search for PSX Extreme. The web site that showed up says the following in IE title.
PSX Extreme - Playstation, PS2, Sony PSP & PS3 News, Reviews, Cheats, Walkthrough..
The web page has a tab for xbox and xbox 360. But the first page is all about Sony and Playstation news. So unless this web page has nothing to do with magazine, I will not call this a "multiplatform" publication. YMMV.

HS might deserve this 9 and even more. But that's separate issue.

And another thing, when Bioshock got 10 from UK OXM, nobody complained an xbox game is getting a perfect score from an xbox magazine. So the magazine does not have to be multiplatform for their review and score to be valid.

Edit: Clicking on xbox related tabs on the home page takes you to a different (and lame) xbox web page xboxnerds.com.

Ugh, the length doesn't bother me. I'd rather have fuckin short and fun than long and boring. Besides, you can still pump it up to insane difficulty to boost it up a bit, but the lack of enemies and bosses pisses me off.

A combat system is useless unless there are cool and interesting obstacles to use them -against-. That's why even though Kratos has a better, more free form combo system than lets say Ryu, Ninja Gaiden has the better 'combat' because it has more diversity in the enemies and bosses. [seriously ninja gaiden fanboys, the whole xyxxxyxyxyyyxyx dial a combo shit team ninja does is retarded] And it has nothing to do with A.I or balls to walls difficulty either.

Rental.

PS: I only assume NG has more boss/enemy diversity simply because I don't remember anyone complaining for the lack there-of.

MCD

C- Warrior said:
Ugh, the length doesn't bother me. I'd rather have fuckin short and fun than long and boring. Besides, you can still pump it up to insane difficulty to boost it up a bit, but the lack of enemies and bosses pisses me off.

A combat system is useless unless there are cool and interesting obstacles to use them -against-. That's why even though Kratos has a better, more free form combo system than lets say Ryu, Ninja Gaiden has the better 'combat' because it has more diversity in the enemies and bosses. [seriously ninja gaiden fanboys, the whole xyxxxyxyxyyyxyx dial a combo shit team ninja does is retarded] And it has nothing to do with A.I or balls to walls difficulty either.

Rental.

PS: I only assume NG has more boss/enemy diversity simply because I don't remember anyone complaining for the lack there-of.

So what's better than the dial a combo shit?

and there is at least 1 boss/mini boss in every mission in NG.

PistolGrip

sex vacation in Guam
Gadfly said:
First: I think HS is a beautiful game.

Second: I did a search for PSX Extreme. The web site that showed up says the following in IE title.
PSX Extreme - Playstation, PS2, Sony PSP & PS3 News, Reviews, Cheats, Walkthrough..
The web page has a tab for xbox and xbox 360. But the first page is all about Sony and Playstation news. So unless this web page has nothing to do with magazine, I will not call this a "multiplatform" publication. YMMV.

HS might deserve this 9 and even more. But that's separate issue.

And another thing, when Bioshock got 10 from UK OXM, nobody complained an xbox game is getting a perfect score from an xbox magazine. So the magazine does not have to be multiplatform for their review and score to be valid.

Edit: Clicking on xbox related tabs on the home page takes you to a different (and lame) xbox web page xboxnerds.com.
you went to psxextreme.com lol
Avellon said:
I think psxextreme.com is a completely unrelated English site.

The one for the mag is http://www.psxextreme.pl/index01.htm

McDragon said:
So what's better than the dial a combo shit?

and there is at least 1 boss/mini boss in every mission in NG.

Free form combat. Think Virtua Fighter, where as NG reminds me of Tekken or Dead or Alive.

God of War II had a good amount, and DMC3 has about 19 bosses.

This really surprises me because they announced this game has a straight-up action title (they didn't even opt for a jump button because of said fact) so I never would have guessed enemy count and boss diversity would be an issue with this game.

Gadfly

While flying into a tree he exclaimed "Egad!"
PistolGrip said:
you went to psxextreme.com lol
Yes, but I also qualified my statement by saying "So unless this web page has nothing to do with magazine".

In any case, please see the rest of my post. Even if this is coming from a PS magazine, there is nothing wrong with it. I believe the whole party around Bioshock started when an xbox publication gave the game a 10 and I don’t remember anybody dismissing the score because of that.

Dave1988

Gadfly said:
Yes, but I also qualified my statement by saying "So unless this web page has nothing to do with magazine".

In any case, please see the rest of my post. Even if this is coming from a PS magazine, there is nothing wrong with it. I believe the whole party around Bioshock started when an xbox publication gave the game a 10 and I don’t remember anybody dismissing the score because of that.

It's an Xbot game. Of course the review was unbiased. Sony? Teh moneyhat! No other explenation!

;p

btw PSX Extreme started in 1997. At first yes - it was only about PSX but when the other consoles went in - the PS2, GCN and Xbox the magazine went multi-platform. The mag was created with the thought "for gamers from gamers" in mind and that hasn't changed over the years.

Snah said:
You've beaten heavenly sword?

Who needs to beat it?

I'm judging it solely based on the fact that GoW is hella fun to play. Heavenly Sword is not.

But I understand there's a rabid contingent of PS3 fans desperate for anything resembling a decent game, so this one will get a pass.

GoW > HS

Based purely on the amount of FUN I had playing the damned things.

Gadfly said:
The Bioshockabration started with either PC Gamer UK or Eurogamer, but you can remember things how you want to.

Snah

Banned
The Take Out Bandit said:
Who needs to beat it?

I'm judging it solely based on the fact that GoW is hella fun to play. Heavenly Sword is not.

But I understand there's a rabid contingent of PS3 fans desperate for anything resembling a decent game, so this one will get a pass.

GoW > HS

Based purely on the amount of FUN I had playing the damned things.

Given the fact that we only have a 5 minute demo of Heavenly Sword, whereas the entire release of Gears of War has been out for nearly a year, I'd be inclined to believe that one opinion isn't nearly as complete as the other.

You also mentioned you'd play GoW again before 'Heavenly Bored'. You seem to have some sort of axe to grind with Heavenly Sword and 'PS3 fans' in general.

Top Bottom