• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

First look at new Conan (Schwarzenegger: "My bod laughs at your bod.")

Status
Not open for further replies.
http://www.latinoreview.com/news/first-look-at-jason-momoa-as-conan-9941

The reboot by Millenium Pictures focuses on a younger Conan and his wild barbarian ways. Dark Horse has a really good Conan series right now that also is focusing on a younger Conan. The pics show a beefed up Jason Momoa in his Conan garb, although I'm not sure what's up with the left arm guard he's wearing. Looks kind of goofy.

conan-02-momoa.jpg

conan6.jpg

conan-03-momoa.jpg

Frazetta is rolling in his
freshly-dug
grave.

If he is an obstinant badass, I'm all for it...but my spidey sense is telling me he's going to be young, witty, and a smartass who smiles too much (more than twice, kill-smiles not included).

Combine

Banned
Lame.

Just going by looks alone, which is all we can go by for now. This guy doesn't even remotely compare to Arnold. It's like Adrian Brody in Predators. :lol

Decado

The least he could have done is get ripped as possible. He looks no bigger than he was in the atlantis show.

Combine

Banned
ruuk said:
Wow, that's kind of a puny Conan. There are rock stars more ripped than that guy.
I was about to say that the 300 or Spartacus actors are all far more ripped than this guy. Was this the best they could really find?

Darklord

Banned
That oaf from Stargate: Atlantis is playing conan? Well, at least he has the same acting quality as Arine did back then.

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
Damn, they'll fucking remake/reboot anything these days.

I can make you two promises:
1) The soundtrack won't compare. RIP Basil.
2) There'll be no line as good as "What is best in life?" and the resulting responses.

Combine said:
I was about to say that the 300 or Spartacus actors are all far more ripped than this guy. Was this the best they could really find?

The dude who played Crixis in Spartacus would have been perfect.

Trurl

Banned
I like Arnold's Conan for what it its, but it's a terrible portrayal of the original character. This guy's body type is fine.

this looks pretty close to the old 70s and 80s comics (that pic on the horse in particular). Conan in those was always kind of lean and not super huge and ripped like a body builder. Its fucking Hollywood, the average height is like 5'6", I don't think they'll have any problems making that guy look fit on camera.

Aske

Trurl said:
I like Arnold's Conan for what it its, but it's a terrible portrayal of the original character. This guy's body type is fine.

You're right, but I think the overall atmosphere of the original movie was reasonably successful at capturing the tone and flavour of the stories. The score and cinematography played in a huge role there; despite having to overcome the dismally shallow portrayal of the main character. Judging by the photos, this remake will not even come close.

Momoa should have just made a generic barbarian movie named after his son:

Nakoa-Wolf Manakauapo Namakaeha Momoa...The Barbarian.

Dreams-Visions said:
:lol :lol :lol

and yea...this is not Conan. He's missing about 25lbs of muscle mass and definition.

FAIL.

Some pretty dumb comments in this thread, from the OP and beyond. He looks quite similar to the initial artistic depictions of Conan. He wasn't some giant initially.

TheFallen

PhoenixDark said:
Some pretty dumb comments in this thread, from the OP and beyond. He looks quite similar to the initial artistic depictions of Conan. He wasn't some giant initially.
Dumb? This guy does not look like Frazetta's Conan, and that's all that matters. Brown hair? :lol

Loxley

Jesus, Conan must have really been a "You had to be there" movie. I really don't understand the love for it outside of the nostalgia factor for an entering-his-prime Arnold, it's not like it's an untouchable masterpiece of film-making.

Not to mention it's barely a Conan movie at all given how far it departed from the source material, outside of a few subtle references to Robert E. Howard's stories, the sequel was even worse (the Conan equivalent of Schumacher's Batman & Robin in my opinion).

They're likely to stick much closer to the source material this time around, or at the very least draw inspiration from the outstanding Kurt Busiek Dark Horse comic adaption. I'm actually interested in the film, and hey, Ron Perlman is playing Corin (Conan's dad).

Aske

PhoenixDark said:

Robert E. Howard disagrees:

Wikipedia said:
Howard never gave a strict height or weight for Conan in a story, only describing him in loose terms like "giant" and "massive"

I would normally be mad at this since they seem to be remaking all of Arnolds old movies (Predator, Commando), but he doesn't look too bad for the part. It is supposed to be Conans earlier days. Nothing will replace Arnold though, but at least they didnt get this guy to play the part:

25jlb46.jpg

PhoenixDark said:

Yea. People are complaining cause the guy doesn't fit their roided up Gears of War homoerotic fantasy , note all of the 300 references.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom