• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

First Look at NEW RoboCop Suit

Status
Not open for further replies.
^LOL^

Even though I think it could use more silver, I actually really like the new suit. I agree that it could look more...robotic though. Might come across more that way in the movie with the sound effects and everything though.

jett

D-Member
I have a funny story.

A while ago they were shooting at a gas station right around the corner from my house. About a week or so before they started shooting I got a standard notice put in my mailbox that the street was going to be closed for a movie shoot (I live in the studio district in Toronto, so this is quite common). The cool part was that it was written on Omnicorp letterhead - no reference of Robocop or anything.

I went out for my nightly walk with my dog and noticed camera equipment, lights, etc., set up at the gas station around the corner. Much to my surprise, they were actually in the middle of shooting a scene! I decided to walk over with my dog to check it out.

The gas station sits between two streets that run north and south of it. I walk on the south side, going slowly to make sure I wasn't upsetting anyone. I proceed to go almost directly south of the gas station. Then a whole bunch of people start to scramble and it's clear they are going to start another take. A pretty young woman walks up to me and asks that I stand a bit down the street so I'm out of the shot. The weird thing is she told me not to stand where I came from but actually move down the road where I'm even more directly in front of the gas station.

I did what I was told and stood still with my dog. The sound and camera guys get into place and the the actors get to their marks. The shooting starts. A sweet car - I think the new Camaro - pulls into the gas station and an actor gets out. He starts talking with other people at the gas station. There's a woman, too.

So far the cameras are all pointed away from me. Now it makes sense to me that I was told to stand at this spot.

That is until the actors start to move and the cameras swing around to POINT DIRECTLY AT ME. I'm frozen, unsure of what to do. I look around, trying to find the young woman. Then I see one of the camera guys poke his head around his camera, looking at me. I can see he's thinking WTF is this guy doing standing here. The shooting goes on for another minute and then I hear "CUT!" A man runs towards me and asks me to move down the street. He then finds the girl and starts reaming her out. Clearly she made a big mistake.

So I proceed down the street away from the gas station. I loop north and go back toward the gas station to go home. Now I'm on the north side of the street... directly in front of the gas station again. This time nobody is here to direct me so I march on.

THEN THEY START SHOOTING AGAIN. I stand still, frozen again. They don't ask me to move, even thought the cameras are pointed right at me. I decide to walk slowly away.

So if you see a pug and an awkward looking guy in the movie, you know it's your fellow gaffer, RSTEIN.

lol

MechDX

I have a funny story.

A while ago they were shooting at a gas station right around the corner from my house. About a week or so before they started shooting I got a standard notice put in my mailbox that the street was going to be closed for a movie shoot (I live in the studio district in Toronto, so this is quite common). The cool part was that it was written on Omnicorp letterhead - no reference of Robocop or anything.

I went out for my nightly walk with my dog and noticed camera equipment, lights, etc., set up at the gas station around the corner. Much to my surprise, they were actually in the middle of shooting a scene! I decided to walk over with my dog to check it out.

The gas station sits between two streets that run north and south of it. I walk on the south side, going slowly to make sure I wasn't upsetting anyone. I proceed to go almost directly south of the gas station. Then a whole bunch of people start to scramble and it's clear they are going to start another take. A pretty young woman walks up to me and asks that I stand a bit down the street so I'm out of the shot. The weird thing is she told me not to stand where I came from but actually move down the road where I'm even more directly in front of the gas station.

I did what I was told and stood still with my dog. The sound and camera guys get into place and the the actors get to their marks. The shooting starts. A sweet car - I think the new Camaro - pulls into the gas station and an actor gets out. He starts talking with other people at the gas station. There's a woman, too.

So far the cameras are all pointed away from me. Now it makes sense to me that I was told to stand at this spot.

That is until the actors start to move and the cameras swing around to POINT DIRECTLY AT ME. I'm frozen, unsure of what to do. I look around, trying to find the young woman. Then I see one of the camera guys poke his head around his camera, looking at me. I can see he's thinking WTF is this guy doing standing here. The shooting goes on for another minute and then I hear "CUT!" A man runs towards me and asks me to move down the street. He then finds the girl and starts reaming her out. Clearly she made a big mistake.

So I proceed down the street away from the gas station. I loop north and go back toward the gas station to go home. Now I'm on the north side of the street... directly in front of the gas station again. This time nobody is here to direct me so I march on.

THEN THEY START SHOOTING AGAIN. I stand still, frozen again. They don't ask me to move, even thought the cameras are pointed right at me. I decide to walk slowly away.

So if you see a pug and an awkward looking guy in the movie, you know it's your fellow gaffer, RSTEIN.

Camaro is the 2000 SUX confirmed?

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
I have a funny story.

Well... at least now we have a reason for the reshoots.

edit: hope you're in the movie haha

Tabris

Zao0sY4.jpg

?!?!?!?! I was planning to ignore this movie as just another horrible remake, but GARY OLDMAN?! OMAR?! I'm already sold.

Tom_Cody

There's "no reason" because you haven't heard the reason. I'm sure there's a reason because it seems very specific. So just wait for the reason when you watch the movie instead of calling it "ridiculous".
The setting is a future in which military drones have become ubiquitous. Robocop is part of a new initiative for police 'drones'. They key is that he will be authorized to kill on his own without a human pilot at a computer pulling the trigger. The human hand is a PR thing, but it isn't about handshakes. The point is that people will be able to see a human hand pull the trigger whenever he is forced to use lethal force.

Or at least that's the best I can piece together from what I've read about the film.

keeth

Neo Member
Welp, they're also filming in Vancouver as of yesterday. Maybe just location shots - the new conference center was adorned with Omnicorp signage. Nothing going on during the day, so I'd think it was filmed last night. But who knows. February release date.. reshoots.. remake of a heavy satire, but perhaps without the satire.. we'll see!

/admittedly, loves Verhoeven

Busty

Banned
I can't remember exactly but isn't this the second load of reshoots this film has had?

I have a funny story.

HA!

Email MGM and Sony Pictures immediately and they might write you into the 'sequel' as the baddie.

^Give me a break.

The exposed hand just makes it look more like a guy wearing a suit. Here's to hoping there is some kind of constant CG going on with his suit. Will go to see RSTEIN in action.

G-Fex

because the human hand part is for PR on Omnicorp's representation of Robocop to the public in his debut to the public.

You could've tried reading some of the above posts for it or whatever but meh.

Plus it's for a really stupid cheesy 'touching' moment for when he meets his wife and kid again.

AkuMifune

Banned
We will be lucky if we get half the action movie the new Dredd was.

Word. Dredd is my favorite action movie in years.

I want to like this, but it looks like they're missing the point.

One of my favorite scenes in the original is when he goes back home. Yes it had Nuke-em and crashing into radioactive waste guy and awesome villains, but it also had a great human story to tell.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Has it actually been confirmed that it's aiming for PG-13? I know there was a joke line in the script, but that would almost imply it's not gonna be PG-13.

Do you know how much money is being spent on this? R is box office poison nowadays, it's PG-13 if not PG.

.GqueB.

Banned
Word. Dredd is my favorite action movie in years.

I want to like this, but it looks like they're missing the point.

One of my favorite scenes in the original is when he goes back home. Yes it had Nuke-em and crashing into radioactive waste guy and awesome villains, but it also had a great human story to tell.

How'd you draw that conclusion by looking at set photos?

R-User!

I have a funny story.

Lol! Maybe you'll be digitally wiped out, but either way I'll be looking out for you! :D

lupinko

I don't mind this horrible remake mainly because we'll probably (hopefully) get a proper HD remaster of the original Robocop.

It happened with Total Recall, so I'm keeping my hopes up that we'll get the Robocop we truly deserve.

.GqueB.

Banned
The script has been available for awhile. They are missing the point.

All of the script detail posts are essentially about the same part of the story and there was a thread here about it. It was such a small snippet of the overall product that it seems a bit presumptuous to draw all kinds of conclusions.

I'm just a big believer in waiting for the final product. Internet puts so much energy before hand choosing to hate something based on very little information and I can never relate. Best example was hating Heath Ledger before he even even uttered a word. Not saying it's going to be great, not saying it's going to be bad. All I'm saying is just wait and see. People are in here crying about the hand without even hearing the reason (though we already know the reason and it makes sense).

It's all very silly to me. And to say they are "missing the point" is a bit odd to me as well. What "point"? This is a remake. They are creating their own movie and crafting their own story. The "point" of the original doesn't matter. They're creating their own point. Whether or not it's complete crap remains to be seen.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom