• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

First look at Star Wars Kinect: Swingin' With A Shirtless Nautolan [Up: Disneyland]

highrider

Banned
123_spongebobfail.gif

scitek

Uh, I don't want a game that will blow up in my face, rattle my room, and completely redecorate my house when I turn around.

Pass.

Dr Eggman said:
So what would make a good Star Wars game for the Kinect? Other than being on-rails and childish graphical style, it might have potential to be okay at most. I can't see it being unplayable but maybe that's me being overly optimistic.

Not making it in the first place. That's the problem with most of these things, why force something that doesn't fit?

Sinoox

Banned
So is this gonna be the kinda stuff MS is presenting at their conference? I don't even know if I want to watch it now. :S

Well

That looks like dogshit.

There's an audience for everything, though, and I don't doubt that defenders of this will be here and loud soon enough.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Dance In My Blood said:
Man, sometimes I really hate video games.
This is my line. Take it back.

I just said this when someone said they were interested in Darksiders 2 but only if there was no exploring because he doesn't have TIME FOR THAT SHIT

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Totobeni said:
huh? Star Wars targeting hardcores anything? the prequels movies themselves are for children anyway.

I suppose thats why they have child murder and tons of political bullshit taking up hours of screen time.

Kids love that shit.

Galvanise_ said:
They actually reference that in the article, and how they want to avoid that:
If you've played Kinect games, you know your movements are replicated by your on-screen avatar with near one-to-one, monkey see/monkey do perfection. Kinect Star Wars tweaks the visuals in a way that flatters your inner Jedi. "What we found early in development is that [no one wants] to look like 'Star Wars kid' in front of [their] friends," says Craig Derrick, LucasArts' lead producer on the project. "If I am doing these actions, and if I am seeing the character on screen repeating those actions, I want to look bad-ass. We decided to augment the animation, so when I sweep my hand right to left with my lightsaber, it’s going to look cool. That was a major challenge and it works."

Full-body waggle, anyone?

Shurs

Y2Kev said:
This is my line. Take it back.

I just said this when someone said they were interested in Darksiders 2 but only if there was no exploring because he doesn't have TIME FOR THAT SHIT

lol

Dr Eggman said:
So what would make a good Star Wars game for the Kinect? Other than being on-rails and childish graphical style, it might have potential to be okay at most. I can't see it being unplayable but maybe that's me being overly optimistic.
The game that was now clearly bullshit that they showed last year would have been interesting.

Sure it would have been an on-rails game, but at least it would have looked nice and may have been exciting.

Qwomo

HK-47 said:
I suppose thats why they have child murder and tons of political bullshit taking up hours of screen time.

Kids love that shit.
You seriously think the prequels were made for adults?

What?

Where am I?

Is this real life?

Alrus

I don't see how people were expecting anything not on rail. I still don't see how any pure kinect hardcore game is gonna be different. There's no decent way to control a character in 3D with the thing.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
If you've played Kinect games, you know your movements are replicated by your on-screen avatar with near one-to-one, monkey see/monkey do perfection.

AHHH WHAT THE FUCK AM I READING

antonz

Yeah "augmented the animation" aka its canned animations that are activated depending on how you move. Explains the slowness of things. Game has to decide what your doing

They're making gamers look like idiots with this video. There's nothing lamer than that.

No wand for the lightsaber? Don't even make the game.

Orayn

See, this is where I part ways with the motion control thing. With a wand-pointer controller like Move or the Wiimote, you can have some genuinely cool experiences if things are actually set up creatively. But this? What can you do with this? With no force feedback, and no concrete frame of reference, The Kinect really lends itself to fruitless flailing when devs try to do silly full-body stuff like this.

Guevara

Revolutionary said:
They actually reference that in the article, and how they want to avoid that:
the article said:
If you've played Kinect games, you know your movements are replicated by your on-screen avatar with near one-to-one, monkey see/monkey do perfection. Kinect Star Wars tweaks the visuals in a way that flatters your inner Jedi. "What we found early in development is that [no one wants] to look like 'Star Wars kid' in front of [their] friends," says Craig Derrick, LucasArts' lead producer on the project. "If I am doing these actions, and if I am seeing the character on screen repeating those actions, I want to look bad-ass. We decided to augment the animation, so when I sweep my hand right to left with my lightsaber, it’s going to look cool. That was a major challenge and it works."

Full-body waggle, anyone?
That's some serious spin for canned animations.

Hex

Banned
As a hardcore Star Wars geek it took a bit to figure out the best way to put my feelings on this, I think i have found it...

A9ot6.png

Qwomo

HK-47 said:
I dont think they were made for either group.
They were specifically made for children because George Lucas is merchandising magnate, and that's how he gets his income, by selling action figures of stupid things to stupid kids. He's pretty much come out and said as much.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Hmmm, looks like the Microsoft Game Studios logo is getting a new look and a bit of a re-branding as Microsoft Studios, yes, that was the most interesting part of the video for me.

Imagine what you could do if you could fly an X-Wing via Kinect and use a controller in your hand to fire weaponry and such. It'd be as if the controller was taking the place of the X-Wing's actual controls, and you only used your body for movement. That would be a brilliant idea.

This is why Sony and Nintendo use both movement and buttons. Without any tactile controls, you are EXTREMELY limited in what you can do. Using hand gestures to fire lasers from a spaceship is retarded. When you fly a plane, you only use movement (via a stick) to control direction. Everything else is buttons and toggles and such. Pure-motion is a far less realistic way of doing things.

user_nat

THE WORDS! They'll drift away without the _!
Looks like something kids would enjoy. Can't see myself buying this.

Disneyland Adventures looks less crap TBH.

Top Bottom