• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

First reviews for Guy Ritchie's The Man From U.N.C.L.E

Status
Not open for further replies.

Toothless

Cavill is very good and Hammer is okay, but overall it just didn't hold my attention. It's got style galore but perhaps it's too much style. A lot of the flourish just feel empty to me, and the entire film had a feeling of off-ness to me. It's fun and I enjoyed watching it, but I won't remember anything from it in two weeks. Disappointed.

I liked it a lot! Just got back from a full house VIP screening. It's totally style over substance, but some fun with beautiful people is what I was in the mood for, lol. Great action as usual. Liked the actors. Great soundtrack. Kinda hope they're able to make a series out of this. Fun stuff. Alicia Vikander is gorgeous.

HarryKS

I think the name/title is killing it at the box office.

It's not a good one. It doesn't pop. People don't remember the show. Too old.

I saw it Friday night. Enjoyed it overall, but...

The script needed some work, it felt like there wasn't enough material for an entire movie, so it all got padded out for a couple hours. In lesser hands, it could have been an outright disaster, but Ritchie's direction and the principal trio made it (mostly) work.

Domestic numbers are unfortunate, so hopefully the overseas coup is enough to justify a sequel. There's room for a sequel to build on what this movie established and surpass it with a better plot.

Lokimaru

In my Area it has less showings then Fantastic Four and Straight Outta Compton (most show a day then anyother movie) no way it can win the box office with those odds, was it throw under the bus? It's like they're setting Compton up to take the weekend. I wonder if this has always been going on and I just didn't notice until now. How do you justify 15 showing of Compton, 10 of Four and only 4 of U.N.C.L.E plus 3 IMAX showings?

jmood88

ugh, the disappointing reviews have deflated my hype. May not go see this after all. Was hoping U.N.C.L.E. could round out my top 3 action pics of the year (Kingsman and Mad Max already have the two other spots).

Not sure why people are so down on Henry Cavill though, he's great. He's by far the best Superman we've had on screen, loved Man of Steel.
Because he's boring as fuck. His one attribute is being good-looking and since I'm attracted to women, I would much rather see someone who has charisma and can act than a guy who is just there for people to look at.

jmood88

And you just narrowed down why every single woman I know is a such fan of Henry Cavill as Superman.
I can't hate on that but it's not enough for me. There are a bunch of attractive actors who have the charisma he lacks.

In my Area it has less showings then Fantastic Four and Straight Outta Compton (most show a day then anyother movie) no way it can win the box office with those odds, was it throw under the bus? It's like they're setting Compton up to take the weekend. I wonder if this has always been going on and I just didn't notice until now. How do you justify 15 showing of Compton, 10 of Four and only 4 of U.N.C.L.E plus 3 IMAX showings?

Because people actually want to see Straight Outta Compton.

It was pretty good fun and there were one or two sequences that I thought were great.
The short action sequence when infiltrating the island.
But the standout is definitely the soundtrack.

Magwik

Banned
I loved the movie. The plot wasn't all that great, but I'd still recommend watching it as it's very fun, the editing is great, and the performances are the real reason to watch it.

Mega

Banned
I think the name/title is killing it at the box office.

It's not a good one. It doesn't pop. People don't remember the show. Too old.

Has there been a worse movie title in recent memory? I think it's up there with Mars Needs Moms when it comes to contributing to a movie tanking.

RavenSan

Off-Site Inflammatory Member
I loved it honestly. It's not anything ground-breaking -- but it reminds me of older James Bond films. I'd definitely see it again / buy it when it's released.

UbuntuSolo

Neo Member
Saw this yesterday. Found it to be quite enjoyable, so it's a shame it didn't do too well at the box office.

Thought Henry Cavill and Armie Hammer had good chemistry together. Alicia Vikander I thought was excellent as well.

needed less shaky cam, and a touch more lingering between the comic book framing transitions.

Those effects make for a great 'comic book movie' experience for me (as not a comic book fan, but someone who has read a couple graphic novels). Humorous that it came in a more Bond-like film than from the Marvel/DC movies.

It's a shame it all fell just a bit short, and drastically so at box office. I'll be grabbing this on Blu-ray when it comes out. The soundtrack and visuals alone are worth it.

MEDIOCRE as Immortan Joe would say

Cavill looks the part, great in suits, mannerisms are there, but the actual delivery of lines is unfortunately a bit wooden and lacking in charisma. I detected a little of that in Man of Steel but noticed it more in this one, makes me wonder about Batman v Superman.

I kept thinking of The Third Man when watching this, unfair comparison perhaps, but, the rapid fire, playfulness of that dialogue versus what we got with U.N.K.E.L. was jarring.
Felt like Ritchie, who I like off of Lock Stock and Snatch, needed to get these actors to deliver their lines more rapid fire, like old school 1940s films, would've helped.

Hammer was good, Wikander good, villain solid, Cavill I want to like but he needs to improve.

Also, CG was jarringly over the top at times, early sequence between Supes and Hammer looked incredibly fake, that was disappointing.

Overall, I kind of liked it, but it feels far lesser considering the quality of the spy films this this year with Kingsman, Rogue Nation, and Spy. Nothing remotely on the level of the church scene in Kingsman or the Opera House or Motorcycle Chase in Rogue Nation.

Worth a rental if you like the spy genre, but overall, no need to rush to the theater on this one.

Do you know who his great-grandfather is? Armie is in Hollywood until he decides to quit.

Directors aren't going to keep casting him in big movies that make no money because nepotism. Come on man.

But I guess the dude is super rich already so he doesn't give a shit regardless.

Blader

Ouch, fan of Ritchie, so it sucks to see the movie flopping. Cavill needs his moment to shine! Always the second choice, but finally getting some screen time and the movies he has been in aren't acclaimed. Hammer is a good actor, just a poor choice in films I guess.

He's Superman?

Currygan

at last, for christ's sake
is Armie Hammer the new Ryan Reynolds when it comes to box office poison? guy's got the charme of a dead mudcrab, perhaps he should enjoy his family money and go horse racing or something

Quick

Banned
Sucks that the movie seems to be a flop. It's probably one of the most fun movies I've seen this summer.

Cavill and Hammer were damn good.

Maximus.

He's Superman?

Yea I know, I just mean that Man of Steel had its issues and looking at his future film list, its basically just playing Superman right now. He seems like a cool guy and I like him as Superman, so just want to see him get more successful roles.

WoodWERD

Saw it in an empty theater this afternoon; it was alright. Lots of style but just felt a bit flat. The main 3 were pretty good together and I thought Cavill was entertaining. The action scenes were pretty short and that
boat 'chase' scene was just weird
. Ritchie's spelling-out key plot elements for the viewer felt really unnecessary in this one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom