• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

First reviews for Seth McFarlane's scifi drama The Orville

Status
Not open for further replies.

shandy706

Like most things, I will watch it and decide for myself.

I'll go in with lower expectations but the hopes of possibly enjoying it.

Joeytj

Banned
Oh geez, part of me hoped that The Orville would've been a better Star Trek than Discovery, seeing as how that one is shaping up.

But it looks like we won't get a good Star Trek parody nor a good Star Trek itself anytime soon. Or ever.

I really hope Discovery doesn't suck...

DarthWoo

I'm glad Grandpa porked a Chinese Muslim
With everything that's been happening this weekend, I almost forgot this started tonight.

vypek

Saw about 2 minutes before I stepped away but the set and the robot seemed kind of funny to me for some reason. Like it was a strict budget but to make it look light and cheerful

compo

Banned
I guess I came into this expecting Family Guy too much. It seems more like it's going to be The Office in space. I think it still has potential, though.

Slayven

This is tonally all over the place. I think I get what they are trying to do but they can't settle on what this is supposed to be.

Man Orville gives you so much mood whiplash, it doesn't know if it wants to be parody, comedy, or drama.

And I can actually see how it could be good if they gave half a shit.

And Paramount should sue for the straight copying of Star Trek music

jb1234

What about the episode with the dog

That episode had tonal problems. The writers seemed to think they were making a light-hearted comedy but all of the characters (especially Archer) were treating the situation with the gravity of someone's mom dying.

See, if there's one thing I want to get out of Orville, it's bombastic orchestral music. McFarlane at least understands the importance of traditional scoring.

I'm astonished they'd let him lead something after 1000 Ways to Die in the West. Man, that movie was embarrassing. One of the worst movies I've seen, it feels like.

Not that I'm going to see it, but I'd rather see a serious or straight forward sci fi take from him rather than see his fucking obnoxious take on a parody of Star Trek, cuz that would be fucking painful.

1000 Ways to Die in the West, kinda shows you what that would be like, and I refuse to believe Orville is possibly as bad as that.

He's never really done anything that's actually good.

HariKari

McFarlane can't really act and his screen presence comes off as annoying. It's really distracting. The show doesn't have a chance with him as the lead.

Random Human

They were trying to grab your prize. They work for the mercenary. The masked man.
I'm astonished they'd let him lead something after 1000 Ways to Die in the West. Man, that movie was embarrassing. One of the worst movies I've seen, it feels like.

Yeah, that movie really showed he needs to stick to animation. He doesn't come across well in live action at all.

Oh damn, this is an hour long? Another curve ball.

Okay, this made me laugh.

Man Orville gives you so much mood whiplash, it doesn't know if it wants to be parody, comedy, or drama.

And I can actually see how it could be good if they gave half a shit.

The music is the part of this that I like lol.

Ivan 3414

I don't think Seth McFarlane can write a funny female character to save his life, if he ever tried

Seems like the ex-wife character only exists for Seth to fire off potshots. All his female characters are just flat plaster walls for his zany male characters to bounce off

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom