• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

First reviews for Seth McFarlane's scifi drama The Orville

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arttemis

DirecTV added a few CBS affiliates, but I must not be zoned for any of them so I'm SOL. I look forward the day it's added so I get to eventually watch this myself.

I was hoping for a TV version of Galaxy Quest... I'm guessing it's not that?

Slayven

DirecTV added a few CBS affiliates, but I must not be zoned for any of them so I'm SOL. I look forward the day it's added so I get to eventually watch this myself.

It's on Fox

and It's like Galaxy Quest that none of the jokes land and takes itself too seriously

DrFunk

not licensed in your state
Oh this is baaaad

Edit: You know what? This has potential - with some better writing and a more focused tone. I feel bad smirking at bad jokes

This is not a TV version fo Galaxy Quest, unfortunately..

Yup. And Bruce Broughton. And Ron Jones.

(Looks like Broughton scored the pilot.)

Well Broughton works a lot on TV these days, despite having not scored a major film since his terrific work on Lost In Space, so that's a bit different. MacFarlane was also responsible for getting Walter Murphy out of retirement as well, and he's worked on almost all of his shows. Interestingly he's not doing the music for The Orville, though I suppose Seth figures he can't do sci-fi epic sounding music, since a lot of his work on Family Guy / Ted was very "cheerful / 90's heartwarming comedy-lite".

Mesousa

Banned
Nights like this I really wish IMDB message boards were still a thing.

Work and school cancelled tomorrow because of Irma I would literally stay up all night trolling about how bad it was on their forum.

The jokes aren't great, and there's no reason to stop all the action for them. It's like every joke in this show was part of post production punchup.

jb1234

Well Broughton works a lot on TV these days, despite having not scored a major film since his terrific work on Lost In Space, so that's a bit different. MacFarlane was also responsible for getting Walter Murphy out of retirement as well, and he's worked on almost all of his shows. Interestingly he's not doing the music for The Orville, though I suppose Seth figures he can't do sci-fi epic sounding music, since a lot of his work on Family Guy / Ted was very "cheerful / 90's heartwarming comedy-lite".

See, I just want Jones to do The Orville. ;)

This shit is like the rejected first draft of Galaxy Quest where they take the adventure seriously and try to keep all the awkwardness in it but with zero self awareness.

Nokagi

Unconfirmed Member
Weird show. I'm not quite sure what to make of it. It's clearly a Star Trek parody but it's also trying to be rather serious. The jokes are falling flat for me so I guess I'm glad it's trying to be serious. I'll check out a few more episodes to see how I feel about it.

DiscoJer

Maybe it's me, but having exes snipe at each other isn't the most enjoyable comedy. Maybe it gets better in later episodes.

Still, minus the occasional joke, it reminds me of Enterprise. Not quite a parody, but close to it

Roronoa Zoro

Gold Member
Because Family Guy was such a hit, that's and he probably a great guy to work with too.

It was close, Hillary Swank & her weird voice thing felt out of place too. I didn't hate any performance in that film though. I have no doubt that MacFarlane is going to be cast in another Soderbergh film however.

Who was he in Logan lucky?

Strike

Eh. Just finished watching the pilot since my cousin wanted to see it. Still don't see the point of this show even existing if they're going to play it straight and with Discovery around the corner.

Kevin

I thought it was fun. Seems more comical then Seth MacFarlane claims. Budget is much higher then I expected.

I sort of get the hate this is getting and it will likely get canceled but I'm having fun. The humor is hit and miss but it's goofy fun.

Excited for Star Trek Discovery...

Pilgrimzero

Wrapping up the episode.

Why does the science station planet have 0 security? Any hostile alien race can just land and take thier stuff...

See, I just want Jones to do The Orville. ;)

I'm disappointed he didn't get involved with it either, but I'm fine with McNeely being involved anyway. I suppose maybe McFarlane didn't want to be that obvious since he already did the music for the first four seasons of the The Next Generation, or maybe I'm giving him too credit.

SargerusBR

I love Pokken!
Bad luck for Seth that there was already another Star Trek parody due to start this month on CBS.

Nicolas%20Cage%20Laugh.gif

Steejee

Visually looks better than I expected. Shows some potential, but really needs better writing. Needs more Galaxy Quest style genre deconstruction humor, less Family Guy humor.

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
Wasn't as bad to me as the reviews had indicated.

I actually kinda liked it? I'll give it more of a chance in the next few weeks.

Effect

Wasn't as bad to me as the reviews had indicated.

I actually kinda liked it? I'll give it more of a chance in the next few weeks.

The reviews talked about the first three episodes with I think the best of the three being the pilot. Will be interesting what people think of the next two.

Not even bothering myself because I can't stand Seth MacFarlane's humor anyway. I've never been a Family Guy fan outside of some key episodes that I can likely count on one hand. None of the Orville trailers did anything for me and if I want anything close to 90s Trek I'll go back and watch the real thing. I'm curious as to how the actual Galaxy Quest series Amazon is trying to do will turn out. Also looking forward to see how Discovery turns out (and I hope it's good) and and there still stuff on SyFy I haven't looked at yet. If he himself wasn't the lead actor and there was someone more interesting/better that might have been different.

Random Human

They were trying to grab your prize. They work for the mercenary. The masked man.
I went to see what the AV Club thought but then I remembered all too late about that new site design. Jeez

fritolay

Wow that was garbage.

I am guessing McFarlane at some point realized, wow this is just not going to work. But at that point they had spent all the money on the set, costumes, etc. Maybe it wasn't until final editing. At some point though he must have realized this was not good right?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom