• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

First Warcraft reviews

Status
Not open for further replies.
"“Warcraft” promises, or threatens, sequels, but then so did “Super Mario Bros.” And come to think of it, if forced to watch either of these video-game movies a second time, I’d probably vote for the plumbers."

6Lx5g0k.gif
lmao this is worse than a battlefield earth comparison. just unkind.

Man who would've thought that the angry birds movie ( which I highly enjoyed) would be the best video game movie this year?
mobile stay winning!

Considering the first 2 Hobbit films were alright, it definitely can be.

The first one I'll give you, but the second and third were a mix of cheesy and incoherent, not Batman v Superman levels of joyless...but still a mess. I really wanted to like them, and they have small isolated moments of greatness.. but just, damn those movies weren't good. All IMO of course.

Corpsepyre

Banned
Jones really shouldn't have taken this project. Should have stuck to telling what he wanted. Eagerly waiting for his new Sci-fi project, Mute.

Aselith

Battlefield Earth..........................so ya'll still want that Overwatch movie? lol

Day one. This movie is gonna be amazing.

Overwatch movie would go the same way I think. They were trying to do what Valve did with the TF2 promos but I watched that Hanzo promo and it felt really long and wasn't particularly interesting. It had some nice animation but it pretty much felt like a slog too from a story standpoint.

The TF2 shorts are fun to watch because the writing is really fun and clever. The stuff they did for Overwatch, at least the one I watched, didn't have that same sort of hook to them.

Just not sure the stories they write work at all outside of games

Berordn

They really should've picked a better story to open on than Warcraft 1, instead of wasting all this time setting up the world and getting it prepared for sequalization.

Could've just opened to a shot of Arthas fighting Illidan and they'd at least have the fans involved.

I wasn't expecting a Lord of the Rings quality movie, or even Hobbit really, but I think Battlefield Earth and Mario comparisons are probably very hyperbolic. It can't be that bad. Not with that director, not with those production values.

They really should've picked a better story to open on than Warcraft 1, instead of wasting all this time setting up the world and getting it prepared for sequalization.

Could've just opened to a shot of Arthas fighting Illidan and they'd at least have the fans involved.

Yeah, I think this is really true. As invested as I am in the property, starting all the way back at Warcraft 1 when there's so much good stuff down the line disappointed me and seems like it has turned out to be a terrible mistake. They got greedy.

Finaj

I have no idea why Duncan Jones wasted his time on this but I hope he goes back to the Moom universe soon.

This was a passion project for him. After Sam Rami left, he read the script and didn't like it. So he pitched his own script to Blizzard and he got the job.

Son Of D

Overwatch movie would go the same way I think. They were trying to do what Valve did with the TF2 promos but I watched that Hanzo promo and it felt really long and wasn't particularly interesting. It had some nice animation but it pretty much felt like a slog too from a story standpoint.

The TF2 shorts are fun to watch because the writing is really fun and clever. The stuff they did for Overwatch at least the one I watched didn't have that same sort of hook to them.

Just not sure the stories they write work at all outside of games

They'd definitely need better writers if an Overwatch movie were to happen. Still have Blizzard's team animate it, just keep them away from the script.

Darkgran

I wasn't expecting a Lord of the Rings quality movie, or even Hobbit really, but I think Battlefield Earth and Mario comparisons are probably very hyperbolic. It can't be that bad. Not with that director, not with those production values.

Oh man. Are you in for a shock!!

liquidtmd

Banned
The trailers looked bloody awful, at this point I was going to be surprised if it had reviewed well.

Pass. Idenpendendneys Day, save us

Nekofrog

Banned
Realistically, they were probably only going to have one shot at a Warcraft movie and they kind of blew it basing it off of Warcraft 1.

RPGCrazied

I seriously doubt the movie will be that bad. Blizzard knows it doesn't want to harm the Warcraft ip. I never really agreed with movie critics before.

Effect

So do the reviews talk about the acting, dialogue, story, cinematography, etc? Things you'd expect from an actual review or do they fill them with hyperbole and terms like "fun" without anything to qualify what they mean?

Bummer this is going to end up being really bad. International Box Office should save it, especially China so I don't think this will be labeled a "bomb" financially. But it would have been nice if it had actually turned out an ok / good film

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom