• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 13/14 |OT10| Silence of the Lambda

Clegg

Agreed. There have been 1 or 2 players who haven't panned out totally (both Brazilian) but what a list.

Clegg, where did you find the results (didn't have any luck Googling)? I'm curious to see the top 10.
It's on Goal.com

Not sure if they've given the top 10 though. Just mentioned certain players and where they came. Gnabry was 16th and Oxlade-Chamberlain was 24th.

Edit: Bjaelke has the list.

Salvadora

Top 10 Golden Boy 2013:
1. Paul Pogba (Juventus)
2. Romelu Lukaku (Everton)
3. Julian Draxler (Schalke 04)
4. Raphael Varane (Real Madrid)
5. Marquinhos (Paris Saint-Germain)
6. Yaya Sanogo (Arsenal)
7. Adnan Januzaj (Manchester United)
8. Bruma (Galatasaray)
9. Viktor Fischer (Ajax)
10. Mauro Icardi (Internazionale)
Sanogoooooooooooooooo

Linius

Top 10 Golden Boy 2013:
1. Paul Pogba (Juventus)
6. Yaya Sanogo (Arsenal)
8. Bruma (Galatasaray)
9. Viktor Fischer (Ajax)

Fiiiischer

Timurid

All these contract extensions being stalled is fucking annoying. I hope Jean-Claude Blanc can seal up Matuidi and Rabiot by Christmas.

He's done fuck all with Arsenal.

Must be for his performances at Auxerre.

Good guess!

Considering that Januzaj is on the list it's a weird one to complain about. Now there's a player who hasn't even done more than Macheda did at UTD.

What is the exact procedure? I assume David Alaba wasn't eligible? Götze because he won earlier? A good list, even if I don't agree with every ranking (e.g. Lukaku should be lower).

Have to be under 21.

Timurid

Top 10 Golden Boy 2013:
1. Paul Pogba (Juventus)
6. Yaya Sanogo (Arsenal)
8. Bruma (Galatasaray)
9. Viktor Fischer (Ajax)

Pogba, Varane, and Marquinhos will be at same club very soon.

Wilbur

Banned
Well I'd hardly disagree with Januzaj being on there if it's about acknowledging potential, and I didn't know that Sanogo had a decent scoring record for Auxerre, so both being on there is fine really.

Clegg

Good guess!

Considering that Januzaj is on the list it's a weird one to complain about. Now there's a player who hasn't even done more than Macheda did at UTD.
I have more problems with Gnabry being there tbh. I think hes only started one league game.

Wilbur

Banned
World stage, innit.

Januzaj has played like what, 3 games?

Lol under 21s football is not the world stage, have you seen the crowds that turn up to them?

Not that I'd argue it isn't a barometer of quality, but it's far less so than the Premier league.

9 appearances, 2 goals for Januzaj.

Suso should be on that list if Januzaj is on there tbh

Pogba and Varane will definitely be world class in 5 years time, they should be the top 2

And fuck Google

Lol under 21s football is not the world stage, have you seen the crowds that turn up to them?

Not that I'd argue it isn't a barometer of quality, but it's far less so than the Premier league.

9 appearances, 2 goals for Januzaj.

Against Sunderland.

That's pretty much u21 football level anyway.

hicky pls

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
Each juror is allowed to nominate five players, the juror will allocate 10 points to the player that they perceive as the most impressive, 7 for second, 5 third, 3 fourth and 1 point for fifth most impressive. All nominees must be under the age of 21 and play in a European nation's top tier.
Newspapers that participate include l'Équipe, Marca, A Bola, Bild, The Times, De Telegraaf, Mundo Deportivo, France Football, Sport Express, Blick and Ta Nea.

and past u21 winners:

• 2003 Rafael van der Vaart - Ajax
    2004 Wayne Rooney - Manchester United
    2005 Lionel Messi - Barcelona
    2006 Cesc Fàbregas - Arsenal
    2007 Sergio Agüero - Atlético Madrid
    2008 Anderson - Manchester United
    2009 Alexandre Pato - AC Milan
    2010 Mario Balotelli- Manchester City
    2011 Mario Götze - Borussia Dortmund
    2012 Isco - Malaga CF
    2013 Paul Pogba Juventus

2014 is booked for Berardi.

Meier

Top 10 Golden Boy 2013:
1. Paul Pogba (Juventus)
6. Yaya Sanogo (Arsenal)
8. Bruma (Galatasaray)
9. Viktor Fischer (Ajax)

Thanks! That top 5 is about as good as it gets although some of the placements below it are baffling (Januzaj and Sanogo stand out like sore thumbs given their lack of production). I know Nastasic was included (rightfully) -- he should have been in the top 10 but the injuries aren't helping I'd imagine. Fischer is far too low but I'm sure the vote differential is probably minimal in that lower half of the top 10.

Wilbur

Banned
Thanks! That top 5 is about as good as it gets although some of the placements below it are baffling (Januzaj and Sanogo stand out like sore thumbs given their lack of production). I know Nastasic was included (rightfully) -- he should have been in the top 10 but the injuries aren't helping I'd imagine. Fischer is far too low but I'm sure the vote differential is probably minimal in that lower half of the top 10.

The difference between Nastasic with Kompany and without Kompany is startling. I'd hesitate to include a player who relies so much on someone else to stand out.

Suso should be on that list if Januzaj is on there tbh

Pogba and Varane will definitely be world class in 5 years time, they should be the top 2

And fuck Google

Nobody cares about Suso.

Except for Liverpool fans, Almeria fans, and Football GAF. It's the sad truth. Rather strange.

If they win tonight I'll die laughing

Will already have committed seppuku before you get to laugh at me.

ibu3rT5649FUOr.gif

Wilbur

Banned
Looooooool the Kanye line in gorgeous

"I treat cash the way the government treats AIDS/
I won't be satisfied until all my niggas get it"

Hahahaha

This album is so jokes. GOAT

Linius

FULL LIST

Punti = points

BapgrC5CIAEpE_C.jpg:large

Three Arsenal players!

Maher

hahahahaha

He showed fuck all at PSV, is this list based on performance in the 12/13 season?

I honestly also don't get what Fischer is doing in there, he didn't really show either.

He normally starts for Spain's U21s, so he must be pretty good :p

No Delofueou or Morata on that list, I think both are at least as promising as Gnabry

I think he deserved it more than a lot of players, but he's always left out on these lists for some reason. Remember that top 100 youth lists? He was below Jese for some reason, even though he's done something in La Liga and is younger.

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
In a rather strange quirk, Pogba is on the shortlist for UEFA team of the season but Vidal isn't.

I don't think they're aware of his existence.

He showed fuck all at PSV, is this list based on performance in the 12/13 season?

3 points means he was either placed 4th ONCE or 5th a few times.

Each juror is allowed to nominate five players, the juror will allocate 10 points to the player that they perceive as the most impressive, 7 for second, 5 third, 3 fourth and 1 point for fifth most impressive. All nominees must be under the age of 21 and play in a European nation's top tier.

Wilbur

Banned
In a rather strange quirk, Pogba is on the shortlist for UEFA team of the season but Vidal isn't.

Piqué and Casillas were nominated for these things.

The people that work at FIFA don't watch football. The people that vote for things for football don't watch football.

Only FootyGAF watches football #VidalBallonD'Or2013

LegoArmo

Sony must be rolling in that PlayStation Plus money right now. Everyone on my friends list has it.

Are none of the games tonight on Sky?

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
Bapjx2lCEAADvCk.jpg:large

Matic and Matuidi av been nominated ahead of him; it's just so bizarre.

Chiellini and Stephan Lichtsteiner were nominated too.

Fair enough on Stephan, he was fucking brilliant, but Chiellini was not better than Bonucci and Barazgli.

Wilbur

Banned
Casillas being nominated for anything this year proves that all of these awards that are voted for by FIFA, UEFA, FIFPro whatever i.e. not independent adjudicators, are fucking shit and shouldn't be discussed ever again. Casillas can't have played more than 20 times this year.

Sure do. Sony won't be used to that though, I bet their share holders are jizzing their pants.

Yeah :lol. Haven't followed it at all because fuck gaming side but is it selling better than the Xbox? With Japan still to come?

Top Bottom