• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2012/13 |OT2| @agent_89: My sources tell me the season has started

Status
Not open for further replies.

GorillaJu

lol

I'm talking about City. They've played in one CL season for fuck's sake.

Whoops

iynQA0oYQiAJE.gif

ElyrionX

Babel was always shit though. He managed to regress while at the club and that wasn't due lack of games.

I don't watch very many Liverpool games but I'm really surprised that he didn't turn out well for Liverpool. Every time I see him play against United (usually as a late sub), he was always such a threat.

Salazar

Sid Lowe ‏@sidlowe
Apparently there's an Athletic Bilbao press conference shortly. I imagine it might be related to Fernando Llorente future (possibly Juve)

Yurt, fade, Zabo - alert.

Yen

Anyone with Sky+ help me out here? I always record the Daily Show, but when I hit "series record" it records that episode and nothing else. So that means I have to go "Monday - record, Tuesday - record, Wednesday - record" and so on. And I have to do this every blooming week. I'm aware this is very much a first world problem.
ElyrionX said:
I don't watch very many Liverpool games but I'm really surprised that he didn't turn out well for Liverpool. Every time I see him play against United (usually as a late sub), he was always such a threat.

He was a very limited player. wasn't a great crosser, wasn't a great dribbler, wasn't very intelligent.

GorillaJu

Hazard is immortalised through that gif. What a legend.

All the people who were just dying for him to crash and burn got exactly what they wanted. He'll kick on and be very good IMO, but what a perfect little start there. If that had happened to Neymar, I think the entire western world would shit their pants with laughter.

Sloosha

All the people who were just dying for him to crash and burn got exactly what they wanted. He'll kick on and be very good IMO, but what a perfect little start there. If that had happened to Neymar, I think the entire western world would shit their pants with laughter.

Yeah, a bit of an inauspicious start for Hazard. Getting the boo treatment for a dive, early in the game, and then the infamous fall. Can't imagine he's too pleased with how things went. Hopefully the season opener brings better luck.

dc89

According to the Manchester Evening News Khaldoon Al Mubarak has flown in to see over two major signings for City.

Sinclair & who knows

Splatt

He had the same problem Nani and Walcott have. Shit decision making.

Kyoufu

Thought he looked pretty good yesterday when he had the ball but something tells me that RDM isn't going to get the best out of him just yet. Maybe he'll need time to adjust but we all know RDM's time is limited.

Regarding Anita's wage comments, he was talking about Ajax's wages so I guess he won't have a problem with ours since we'll pay him more than he was earning at Ajax.

Signnnnnnn pleeeeeeeeease.

GorillaJu

According to the Manchester Evening News Khaldoon Al Mubarak has flown in to see over two major signings for City.

Sinclair & who knows

Please no Agger T_T

Thought he looked pretty good yesterday when he had the ball but something tells me that RDM isn't going to get the best out of him just yet. Maybe he'll need time to adjust but we all know RDM's time is limited.

Regarding Anita's wage comments, he was talking about Ajax's wages so I guess he won't have a problem with ours since we'll pay him more than he was earning at Ajax.

Signnnnnnn pleeeeeeeeease.

He looked great on the ball. When he adjusts to the shape of the team and pace of the league he'll be magnificent.

Salazar

Sinclair & who knows

Their parallel RVP story has the epistemological status of Wilbury's bellybutton fluff.

Nobody knows a fucking thing.

Khaldoon is a killer name.

Wessiej

Anita gone, Janssen gone, Vertonghen gone, and what did we get back, a whole bag of nothing! This is going to be a terrible season :(

Can't wait to play in the CL and lose 6 matches, hooray.

Anita is a total fucker btw, demanding more than the salary cap when you know there is a salary cap, and when a reporter asks if he goed to the Magpies for the money he says: ''uihhh...no''

sohois

I'll disagree with the other Liverpool fans here and say that I always felt Liverpool wasted Babel, he was never going to improve with such limited playtime that the club gave him.

Certainly he had problems that have been described above, but given the often turgid stuff coming from the wings during the Benitez era, he should have had more chances I feel. Really he was just the wrong kind of player for Benitez, for even whilst Kuyt or Benayoun might fail to make any attacking impact, you could be assured of their hard work throughout the game and constant defensive efforts, which Benitez much preferred to the laziness of Babel.

Sloosha

So, no ban for Ivan for his Community Shield red.

Seems like we're still inching closer towards signing Azpilicueta(?) though.

GorillaJu

Bilbao's president said that Llorente won't extend his contract, and they'll sell him if he wants to go and someone pays the release clause.

Which is 30m, lol.

They'd be crazy to let him run down his contract. I say 18m (euro) gets him.

pappe

Mark Spurs down as a defeat.

Normally, Spurs are horrible starters to the league and they dont have a striker. I think it will be a boring 1-1 draw. With lots of shots on the goal from outside the box and hardly any on target.

Lakitu

st5fu
I'm going to start placing some bets for the first day of the season. A little concerned about who to back since the opening day is usually a different matter.

Wes

venison crêpe
Why are some sections of the media expecting QPR to end up top half/mid table? Did I miss something?

Kyoufu

Normally, Spurs are horrible starters to the league and they dont have a striker. I think it will be a boring 1-1 draw. With lots of shots on the goal from outside the box and hardly any on target.

They don't need a striker. Bale and Sigurdsson are enough for the day.

Not looking forward to Saturday at all. :(

Why are some sections of the media expecting QPR to end up top half/mid table? Did I miss something?

Their signings I suppose, but yeah I mean Hoilett was relegated last season so I don't think it's wise to predict any sort of success for them. In fact I think they'll have a relegation battle this season also.

pappe

They have made decent to good signings. They have a better side than most new sides promoted. They have a decent manager.

And if all else fails they still have a backup plan that is, Barton, who will get himself sent off BUT take one or two players of the opposition with him.

Arjen

Anita gone, Janssen gone, Vertonghen gone, and what did we get back, a whole bag of nothing! This is going to be a terrible season :(

Can't wait to play in the CL and lose 6 matches, hooray.

Anita is a total fucker btw, demanding more than the salary cap when you know there is a salary cap, and when a reporter asks if he goed to the Magpies for the money he says: ''uihhh...no''

And apparantly Assaidi isn't going to happen either. We're going to be the laughing stock of the CL again aren't we :(

dc89

Please no Agger T_T

He looked great on the ball. When he adjusts to the shape of the team and pace of the league he'll be magnificent.

Maybe it is Agger. No one knows. Rodwell in his interview said City & Everton had been talking for 2 weeks and it was kept really quiet. So yeah, not much credible info is leaking out about City and the transfers.

Their parallel RVP story has the epistemological status of Wilbury's bellybutton fluff.

Nobody knows a fucking thing.

Khaldoon is a killer name.

Yup. Awesome name.

But Kompany got a ban didn't he?

Yeah I don't understand that either.

Yeah in the FA Cup. Yesterday is classed as a friendly, and the FA changed the rule 2 years ago that if you get red it doesn't carry into the season.

Kyoufu

Yeah in the FA Cup. Yesterday is classed as a friendly, and the FA changed the rule 2 years ago that if you get red it doesn't carry into the season.

Doesn't make much sense. Both sides must play their strongest team, no? Friendly my arse!

Wessiej

And apparantly Assaidi isn't going to happen either. We're going to be the laughing stock of the CL again aren't we :(

Well he can fuck off too. Boohoo its not about the money, I want to go to Ajax because I want to play there.

3 days later the deal is off because of the money, uhuh.

Zabojnik

So Juve have now basically acquired the entire block - 380.000 square meters of terrain - around Juventus Stadium, which is to become ... well, a lot of things. The municipality of Torino has just become 10M€ richer. I guess that's where our RVP money went. :p

continassa.png

Apparently we still haven't decided what to do with both the PalaTorino and the Rock Arena, which will soon be ours to use and / or dispose of. The current plan is to / includes:

- create even more parking spaces to support the various events at Juventus stadium
- rebuild / renovate the historic (17th century) farmhouse 'Continassa', which it to become the new club headquarters
- create a public park (the vertical road / street to the right of it will be renamed from 'Corso Grande Torino' to 'Corso Gaetano Scirea' - so sorry, Toro fans)
- half a dozen new commercial buildings, aparments, a cinema complex, a hotel ...
- a sports medicine diagnostic center
- a brand new Juventus Soccer (High) School

Pretty cool, I think. While everybody else in Italy is still trying to come up with the means to build their own football temples, we're already moving forward. With Pazzini instead of RVP, but still.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much

Gylfi-Sigurdsson_2797654.jpg
Rafaelvandervaart_1286004a.jpg

Went to the Liverpool / Bayer Leverkusen game yesterday, sat in the Kop on the lower right hand side -- I wish we'd been attacking the kop in the first half because the changes killed our tempo in the second...

I know it was only a friendly, but I think we're looking good! Sterling is a class act, and he absolutely needs to stay at Liverpool! He got bullied off the ball a couple of times, but his daring creativity and his runs are exciting to watch. Definitely one I'd like to see us keep and nurture. Robinson was good in the second half too. It's so good to have Lucas back - the contrast when he came off for the second half was horrible - I wasn't impressed with Adam, Jonjo or Spearing yesterday - Jonjo can be reckless sometimes, and Adam didn't seem to have confidence in front of goal - nor his ability to whip in a good ball. It was good to see Lucas and Carroll score.

I'm liking Rodgers' style though - good pressure, he's clearly come down on people having a walk or a defeatist stay on the floor when we lose the ball, lots of possession, quicker passing football at times.. if we keep playing the way we played the other night, and yesterday in the first half - I think we'll have a good season!

Quite a lot of empty seats, but the singing and applause for Sami almost brought a tear to my eye

Yen

Radioheadrule83, Sterling signed a long term professional contract back in December so we needn't worry about that. I think he'll get plenty of game time this year.

We do have to worry about Suso however. I read somewhere we won't play him until he signs a new contract.

Zabojnik

CORRECTION: His release clause is €36m.

So who's next on the list?

What?! Fuck this. I blame City, PSG and Chelsea. I understand that they have to try to get as much as they can out of LLorente, but this is ridiculous.

/waits for Llorente to Chelsea/City rumors to start

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom