• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2013/14 |OT20| I don't really give a shit what any title is

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hixx

larsson28y2i.gif

5cvsYSv.png

bjaelke

BBC Sport @BBCSport
Days on top of @premierleague 2013/2014 so far
Arsenal - 128
Chelsea - 64
Liverpool - 59
Man City - 11
Man Utd - 2

Moyes came so close

sohois

One result away from the title. It was a good season

It was a good season

It was a good season

GIF+Rocking+back+and+forth.gif

Just stop and think of pretty much every other team's fortunes. City, Bayern, probably Atletico, maybe Madrid will end up with good seasons. Juventus won Serie A, but that was no real challenge and they crashed out of the CL again. Benfica and PSG would probably be happy, not that anyone cares about those teams.

Bad seasons? Chelsea, Arsenal, Spurs, United, Dortmund, AC & Inter, probably Barca, possibly Madrid.

LTWheels

One result away from the title. It was a good season

It was a good season

It was a good season

GIF+Rocking+back+and+forth.gif

It's been our best fucking season in years. We are likely to end second in the league, playing some of the most entertaining attacking football in Europe. We achieved automatic CL qualification a few weeks ago. We have used loan moves well. Borini, Assaidi, Suso, Coates, Ilori, Wisdom, Robinson Have all made progress in their development. Even if we don't keep them all, their values have increased.

We shouldn't be upset about losing the title. Before the season started we were thinking 5th, maybe 4th if we were lucky. I've fucking loved every moment of this season.

We will be now looking at some of our youth players like Ibe to start making first team contributions next season and we have to buy smart and improve the overall quality of our squad this summer. I'm looking forward to the added dept and options off the bench.

Feorax

We will be now looking at some of our youth players like Ibe to start making first team contributions next season and we have to buy smart and improve the overall quality of our squad this summer. I'm looking forward to the added dept and options off the bench next season.

Would like to see Rossiter get some regular game time soon. The lad's got real talent.

Just stop and think of pretty much every other team's fortunes. City, Bayern, probably Atletico, maybe Madrid will end up with good seasons. Juventus won Serie A, but that was no real challenge and they crashed out of the CL again. Benfica and PSG would probably be happy, not that anyone cares about those teams.

Bad seasons? Chelsea, Arsenal, Spurs, United, Dortmund, AC & Inter, probably Barca, possibly Madrid.

Arsenal will look back on this season as a good one if they beat Hull, which they should

Achieved the minimum league position, and ended the run of trophyless seasons. Everyone was waiting for them to drop out of title contention depending on Giroud and Ozil's form. Then you factor in Ramsey's injury, and they'll have done okay.

@subtles, that's the fear that keeps me awake at night. Can't let that happen again. Even finishing fifth would be massive setback and render this season's progress meaningless.

FootballFan

I find some of the criticism of Toure to be utterly absurd.

Like the fact that he isn't always barrelling around like a maniac makes him an underachiever. Which most assuredly makes Lee Cattermole top class by comparison.

Also conveniently forgetting how he has produced important assists and goals this season by the fucking bucket load.

And saying he has gone missing in some games is a bizarre stick to beat him with as an under-performing Toure still probably does more than most CMs in the league.

Final point: thing I loved about his goal last night was the pure physicality and confidence of it. I have seen so many pace players cop out of similar situations and not had the balls to beat their man or use their pace properly. It was great to see him back himself physically and gas the defender. It's not something you often see because so many players pussy out of attempting it.

Great post.

As for the last point, SO MANY players would have slowed down, waited for team mates, cut inside etc.

He has the confidence of Messi to just take a player on in that situation and run for goal.

No, the goal isn't that amazing, but Yaya is.

sohois

Arsenal will look back on this season as a good one if they beat Hull, which they should

Achieved the minimum league position, and ended the run of trophyless seasons. Everyone was waiting for them to drop out of title contention depending on Giroud and Ozil's form. Then you factor in Ramsey's injury, and they'll have done okay.

@subtles, that's the fear that keeps me awake at night. Can't let that happen again. Even finishing fifth would be massive setback and render this season's progress meaningless.

Same as Liverpool then really. Though I do wonder if there are Arsenal fans who would trade the FA Cup for going into the last day in contention for the title, even if they likely ended up second

bjaelke said:
Coates is dead. He's worth nowt.

Had some very good games in Uruguay, by all accounts. Has their WC squad been announced yet? Any luck and he'll get called up and have another top tournament

FootballFan

I'd say la liga and supercup champions, copa del rey runners up and cl quarters was pretty successful season m8. :p

We won't let this slip. It's like all the teams are trying to give away the titles.

OT22| Does anyone want this title

kmax

I can say one thing, and that is that I've never seen so many top teams choke so late in the season. Absolutely insane.

Especially Real Madrid....that one hurts. Dat league slip.

gerrard-trophy.gif

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
Tim Sherwood has been invited to play in Ledley King’s testimonial match on Monday but has yet to confirm whether he will do so.

Tottenham were expecting Sherwood to be involved in King’s XI — raising the intriguing possibility of the current head coach facing some of the players he has been working with since replacing the sacked Andre Villas-Boas last December.

The plan has been for coaches Chris Ramsey and Les Ferdinand to take charge of the Spurs XI, while Sherwood and Steffen Freund, another member of the coaching team, play alongside King.

Sherwood v Sandro

MAKE IT SO

FootballFan

I can say one thing, and that is that I've never seen so many top teams choke so late in the season. Absoulutely insane.

Especially Real Madrid....that one hurts. Dat league slip.

gerrard-trophy.gif

Barca beat a Madrid on fire in the bernabeu, then Madrid lost vs Seville, then barca throws it all away by getting beat by the 18th team and drawing vs 15th. Smh

Every team is choking which is making for an entertaining season.

Atletico only had to win 2 matches to win the league without playing barca and choked too lol.

kmax

Barca beat a Madrid on fire in the bernabeu, then Madrid lost vs Seville, then barca throws it all away by getting beat by the 18th team and drawing vs 15th. Smh

Every team is choking which is making for an entertaining season.

Atletico only had to win 2 matches to win the league without playing barca and choked too lol.

Honestly, Real and Barca have been shit in the league this season. We both expect much better from our teams, especially against piss poor opponents.

On the bright side, at least you guys are still in it. We just threw our chances away against Valladolid......Valladolid.

...and the most depressing thing of all? We bought Illarramendi, the absolute worst player on the pitch for Real this season, for €38 Million.

CRYING-SUAREZ.gif

FootballFan

Honestly, Real and Barca have been shit in the league this season. We both expect much better from our teams, especially against piss poor opponents.

On the bright side, at least you guys are still in it. We just threw our chances away against Valladolid......Valladolid.

...and the most depressing thing of all? We bought Illaramendi, the absolute worst player on the pitch for Real this season, for €38 Million.

CRYING-SUAREZ.gif

I like that you are honest, a good madridista. Illarramendi is good but he isn't Madrid good and definitely not €40m good.

Like Song at barca, a total waste lol.

SongPushingInfrontOfAbidalAwkward.gif

Need? Probably not.

He's versatile though, which is something we seem to value at the moment, and he's a quality player.

Just seems a lot of money for someone who would be a (very high quality) utility attacking player.

And I say that in relation to United, Arsenal and Liverpool.

Feorax

Just seems a lot of money for someone who would be a (very high quality) utility attacking player.

And I say that in relation to United, Arsenal and Liverpool.

I agree. That being said, it's not like (recent) Liverpool to go sniffing for that type of player unless they reckon they could get a bargain out of it.

What's happening at Bayern is everyone now wants their pay rise.

Martinez and Muller are like, well if Kroos is getting X amount. We want it too.

MiaSanMakeitrain

Feorax

True but... don't really see how you could get a bargain out of this Bayern side given its status and financial strength.

Depends. Maybe he wants out now he'll be behind Robben, Ribery, Goetze and Lewa?

At least with us or Arsenal, a player of his quality could easily start 3/4 of games in a season, even if it's not always in the same position.

Carbonox

Anyone here still watch Person of Interest? I stopped after the second or so episode of season 3 (not sure why, just phased out of it I guess) and have been meaning to get back in to it. Is season 3 great? First two were brilliant but I fucking despise Amy Acker's character and any plot nonsense to do with her, and she's been bumped up to a primary character or some shit.

Nobody is getting discounted players from Bayern unless the club decide themselves they don't want the player.

Bayern don't sell players they value. At all. I can't even remember the last one. It might be Hargreaves and we know what happened there.

Kroos for example - he's not getting sold. They'll just let him go for free if he's actually dumb enough to leave.

Blablurn

Nobody is getting discounted players from Bayern unless the club decide themselves they don't want the player.

Bayern don't sell players they value. At all. I can't even remember the last one. It might be Hargreaves and we know what happened there.

Kroos for example - he's not getting sold. They'll just let him go for free if he's actually dumb enough to leave.

Gomez....?

Okay, you're right. There was no value.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom