• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2016/17 |OT| Mou Money Mo Pogba

Kyoufu

Sunderland would have given Utd a better game lmao. What a shit, shit performance.

Still, Mourinho got his tactics spot on.

Spot on tactics required to beat that Ajax team tonight:

Play any 11 players.

:(

A shit premier league team would have been more exciting to watch than Ajax. lol :D

RocknRola

Also, correct me if I'm wrong, but this makes 4/4 European finals for Mou? 2 with Porto, 1 with Inter and now another 1 with Man.U.

If the above is correct, that's pretty impressive.

DoubleYou

Dutch team can't beat a defending team. What else is new?

Ajax have been great this season but yeah, against Mourinho. No way.

Congrats UnitedGaf

GHG

Gold Member
Also, correct me if I'm wrong, but this makes 4/4 European finals for Mou? 2 with Porto, 1 with Inter and now another 1 with Man.U.

Yep I think so. First manager to win both trophies twice.

DBT85

Yep.

He's now managed 14 cup finals all in, and won 12.

The two loses both came after extra time.

I believe Jose once said "Finals are not for playing, they are for winning"

RocknRola

I mean, Ajax is a very young team ( a 24 year old player being one of the OLDEST in the team, says a lot). If they can keep the main backbone of the squad for a few more years they can do better, for sure.

Experience counts for a lot in those sort of games, and unfortunately you can't have experience without time (and without playing these sort of matches/competitions either).

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
Lack of experience is not an excuse for not being able to stop an easy ball or do a 10 meter pass.

So many balls lost without any pressure.

RocknRola

Yep I think so. First manager to win both trophies twice.

Yep.

He's now managed 14 cup finals all in, and won 12.

The two loses both came after extra time.

I believe Jose once said "Finals are not for playing, they are for winning"

It's easy to forget why Mou is such a wanted coach sometimes. Damn. He may not play the prettiest football, but eh sure is effective.

Beefy

Lack of experience is not an excuse for not being able to stop an easy ball or do a 10 meter pass.

Course it is. Nerves are a thing. I have played football on a few occasions were new people or people not use to pressure etc end up looking complete shit.

DBT85

It's easy to forget why Mou is such a wanted coach sometimes. Damn. He may not play the prettiest football, but eh sure is effective.

I'm sure I saw a stat a few weeks ago showing his goals scored numbers in all his (completed) seasons, and apart from this season he's been 1st or 2nd in the league for goals scored every year.

We are his shame. lol

But yeah, he knows how to win which is why people want him. I just hope he doesn't go too far into sad/mad Jose like he did last season at Chelsea. I'd happily have him here for 5+ years.

EDIT: love seeing Jose in front of the players reminding them that its 3 trophies this season. He'll take everything he can lol.

They make the losing team form a guard of honor now? Wtf

John Terry arranged it.

NHale

Griezmann is basically done

After his statements in France this week, the odds went from 6 out of 10 to 11 out of 10 after this win. Griezmann even talked about United not any other club. He basically confirmed every rumor surrounding since February.

Marca and AS were saying that Griezmann said to Cerezo he wouldn't leave if Atletico transfer ban was upheld. Apparently now he wants to leave and Atletico can't do shit because United are willing to pay the release clause.

RocknRola

So many balls lost without any pressure.

I'd argue otherwise. If this were a group stage match, you more than likely wouldn't see those mistakes happen. Remember, the team is very young, this was their first European final (for a lot, if not all of them) and against a team like Man.U (which hasn't been in a final for a while, but has very experienced players, with World Cup winners for example).

After Man.U scored the first goal whatever nerves they had up until that point likely jumped by a factor of 10 or more.

CrayToes

A game where structure and experience won. United are going to need one hell of a striker to make them more competitive next season.

Griezmann is apparently half decent. Him in a front 3 with Martial and Rashford is a mouthwatering prospect. Utd will be competing on all fronts next season.

Griezmann is apparently half decent. Him in a front 3 with Martial and Rashford is a mouthwatering prospect. Utd will be competing on all grtonts next season.

Rashford as a winger makes sense due to his pace but I have watched too many games where Martial is being forced to play far too deep and would be a nightmare for a player like Rashford to play in a similar role. For the first 20 mins United looked a lot like an Italian team but lacked the pace and creativity to take advantage of it, if they set up like that in the future that could work really well for them but they need more creativity to compliment players like Pogba so they can release the wingers/strikers. Griezmann might work really well without that though.

Syder

League Cup and Europa League aka the McDouble
Don't forget the Community Shield!

lel1.gif

Rashford as a winger makes sense due to his pace but I have watched too many games where Martial is being forced to play far too deep and would be a nightmare for a player like Rashford to play in a similar role. For the first 20 mins United looked a lot like an Italian team but lacked the pace and creativity to take advantage of it, if they set up like that in the future that could work really well for them but they need more creativity to compliment players like Pogba so they can release the wingers/strikers. Griezmann might work really well without that though.

Griezmann, Martial and Rashford can all rotate in the front three but of the three of them Griezmann is the one who is the most effective out wide.

PatjuhR

Sucks to see so much hate against Ajax, even after all the praise after Schalke and Lyon.

Gotta have to respect the way they reached the finals. Got outplayed by mou and it took to long for Bosz to react.

Sucks to see so much hate against Ajax, even after all the praise after Schalke and Lyon.

Gotta have to respect the way they reached the finals. Got outplayed by mou and it took to long for Bosz to react.

Ajax have nothing to be ashamed of here, young team just got schooled by one of the best in the business.

Top Bottom