• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Formula 1 2016 Season |OT2| BUT GRO PER

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT

EBreda

Cant recall when was it that F1 lost its balls.

I've seen much worse weather in Suzuka and always saw epic battles . Now in Brazil they are wimping out on it.

Sucks.

Fox Mulder

Can't wait for another awful Abu Dhabi race where mercs 1-2 and Nico wins title from 2nd.

I'll probably just check out now until Australia.

DBT85

If they qualify 1-2 will Nico take out Lewis in turn 1 ala Senna/Prost?

I doubt it. I genuinely don't think he has that ruthlessness, and if the FIA thought it was done on purpose they'd probably dock him points anyway. Its not like it was way back when.

FuturusX

Nico is champion. Lewis is going all out to slide an Asterisk by Nico title, by winning the most races in 2016. Only mechanical gremlins can stop Nico now.

Nico is champion. Lewis is going all out to slide an Asterisk by Nico title, by winning the most races in 2016. Only mechanical gremlins can stop Nico now.
I'm very much hoping that some bad luck pushes Nico to last place on the grid. Then we watch an exciting race, with him carving his way through the field Verstappen style and with 10 laps to go have Nico be in 4th, battling for that all important podium spot! What a nail-biting way to end the championship!

Of course that won't happen though, he'll be in boring ol' second from start to finish.

Razgreez

There's a separate race thread in OT, just so you know.

doh.gif

I did not, thanks for that

Cant recall when was it that F1 lost its balls.

I've seen much worse weather in Suzuka and always saw epic battles . Now in Brazil they are wimping out on it.

Sucks.

BBC Five Live's Podcast talked about how the track was also resurfaced in such a way that the drainage of the track could also be to blame. But mostly, the Pirelli's sucked balls.

I'm very much hoping that some bad luck pushes Nico to last place on the grid. Then we watch an exciting race, with him carving his way through the field Verstappen style and with 10 laps to go have Nico be in 4th, battling for that all important podium spot! What a nail-biting way to end the championship!

Of course that won't happen though, he'll be in boring ol' second from start to finish.

I'd personally like to see the Mercs both get a shit start, Red Bulls take the 1-2s, Ferrari showing how good they are in the heat again, and spend the entire race doing points math to figure out the new champ.

But yeah, it'll be a boring 1-2 from the Mercs.

mclem

Ron Dennis: McLaren boss coming to end of his 35-year tenure

Meeting with shareholders today, and the BBC are saying it's a done deal.

Ron Dennis's 35-year tenure as the boss of McLaren is coming to an end.

The 69-year-old will be told by fellow shareholders on Tuesday that he must give up his position as chairman and chief executive of the McLaren Group.

He does not want to step down and failed in a High Court bid last week to prevent McLaren putting him on 'gardening leave' - but is likely to be left with no choice.

If they qualify 1-2 will Nico take out Lewis in turn 1 ala Senna/Prost?

That makes zero sense. You can't guarantee hitting him will take him out of the race, and why would Nico want to ruin his reputation and his standing with the team when things are going his way?

For Nico it will be the same as it has been for the past few races, no risks, bring the car home on the podium.

krang

This is my thinking, too. Catastrophic engine failure in practice or qualifying, pushed to the midfield or back of grid, nerve-wracking race watching him try and catch up.

I think Abu Dhabi would just be too easy a romp for the W07, that I would expect Rosberg to get a podium from last place.

Zaru

That makes zero sense. You can't guarantee hitting him will take him out of the race, and why would Nico want to ruin his reputation and his standing with the team when things are going his way?
Yeah. After Schumacher's 97 incident and the failed contact in Austria, I don't see anyone being dumb enough to decide a title with an intentional crash, ESPECIALLY not Rosberg.

Pirelli blames lack of testing and I think it makes sense, so should be up to the FIA.

The car regulations (both design and parc ferme restrictions) also impact the current cars' ability to run in very heavy rain in comparison to those of the past. It's much more complicated than simply the tread on the tyre.

What was terrible about them? Seemed to work fine when they went racing and had heat in them.

Kimi, Grosjean and Ericsson all criticized the tyres for having not enough grip.

Kimi:
"They [the full wet tyres] are very easy to aquaplane with, it's not like it's raining a lot," he said. "We've said that many times, but it obviously also depends on the circuit and many things.

"If I compare to ten/twelve years ago, those tyres could cope with this kind of rain with no issues, no aquaplaning. The aquaplaning is the biggest issue, if we have a bit of standing water we get zero grip.

"It was not raining heavily but there's a lot of standing water and it's very easy to go off when we hit it. The reasons behind that are hard to say, but looking purely at the conditions they're not that bad."

Grosjean:
“Honestly, I don’t know what happened,” said Grosjean. “I saw two other cars having the same issue – so we need to improve the wet tyres. In my case I was not even pushing.

“It shows that the extreme tyre is a very poor tyre and there is no grip. You have to take a huge amount of risk, you can't control the car in a straight line.

It's easy seeing them blaming the tyres for their crashes, but Kimi is actually racing long enough to compare the different compounds over the years.

In other news, Alonso has had it with Vettel:

Fernando Alonso says "someone will have to hit" Sebastian Vettel if the Ferrari driver repeats the move he pulled on him during Sunday's Brazilian Grand Prix.

Speaking about Vettel's move, he said: "There was run-off and I used it, but if there was a wall I would have had to hit the wall or hit him, which is what I'll do next time.

"I'll just hit him and then he'll lose more points than me."

"In the rain we don't have the same visibility as the dry," he said.

"My mirrors were wet, too, so I couldn't see anything behind me.

"In the end nothing happened, I went down the tarmac run-off, but there will come a day when someone will have to hit him so that he understands the track is for all of us."

http://www.gpupdate.net/en/f1-news/346933/alonso-next-time-i-ll-hit-vettel-s-car/

Idiotic. Both the Max on Vettel move and the Vettel on Alonso moves were fine. Just a side effect of the limited visibility.

Disappointing to see Alonso enter the whiny bitch club of late.

"Strong warnings and potential consequences for the business" hmm wonder what Dennis means by this

It's his way of saying that he's the only reason the business is doing well and that it's all going to go to shit when he's gone.

Not uncommon from people in his position.

dubc35

Worked out very well for him in 1994.

But Rosberg is 12 points ahead. What does he care if comes in second?

Yeah, I think he will be fine with a lift and coast 2nd place to take the WDC. If he does, I hope he throws a hat at Lewis in the drivers' room post race lol.

sam777

Yeah, I think he will be fine with a lift and coast 2nd place to take the WDC. If he does, I hope he throws a hat at Lewis in the drivers' room post race lol.

Apart from Brazil, I am sure in the two races before that, Rosberg has been happy not to push it and come second tbh.

Zaru

Apart from the Brazil, I am sure in the two races before that, Rosberg has been happy not to push it and come second tbh.

It's an unspectacular end to the season but there's really no point in putting up a grand fight when it just increases his risk of a technical failure - the thing that has the highest chance of costing him the championship.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Someone requested a Motorsport Manager OT over on gaming side, so I whipped one up.

Any suggestions on a subtitle for the thread? Right now it's just "Motorsport Manager |OT|" ;P

Leonsito

The worst thing Lewis can do is to push hard and become a clear P1, if I was him, I would botch the start, let Nico first, and then stay the entire race close to him.

And I said that as a Nico fan who wants him to win the WDC lol

What a great gif. Did we know at that time that Arrivabene would eventually replace him?

The worst thing Lewis can do is to push hard and become a clear P1, if I was him, I would botch the start, let Nico first, and then stay the entire race close to him.

Lewis passing Nico on track for P1 would be so good to watch.

chuckddd

Fear of a GAF Planet

Nah. Lewis should take the lead, but keep backing Nico up into a third place Verstappen. Championship guaranteed.

Top Bottom