• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Formula 1 2016 Season |OT2| BUT GRO PER

3D model of a F1 Car designed to 2017 spec:

Perrinn is the company (by former Williams designer Nicolas Perrin) that wants to build a test car for F1, that can be used outside of testing restrictions because it isn't an actual race car.

Looks gorgeous until you get to the nose. I really do dislike the instant slope downwards. Put something like a 2001-2007 Ferrari nose on them. A smooth curve down would look better.

DD

Petrobras will not continue with Williams, and Banco do Brasil is leaving Sauber. We'll probably see Gutierrors in Nasr seat in 2017. :p

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
While likely just a bug, I'd like to imagine this is an idiot reporter you have to deal with and all of the potential answers are all just different levels of sarcasm:

BFAvVHo.png

Patrick S.

Banned
Man, I get ads for Mass Effect Andromeda: Collector's Edition (game not included) on every damn Youtube video today. Leave me alone already!

dubc35

Is there anything streaming online now like Justin.TV, eff1legends (is that how it was spelled?) or something like that? I used to love watching old F1 stuff online but it seems like it's mostly shutdown now.

Is there anything streaming online now like Justin.TV, eff1legends (is that how it was spelled?) or something like that? I used to love watching old F1 stuff online but it seems like it's mostly shutdown now.
Racing4everyone.eu is your friend. Every F1 race from 1984 to 1987.

And check under the Archive tab here for even more series/years.

Chuck

Still without luck
Watching NASCAR's championship race made me really appreciate F1's format. A last race shootout is kind of ridiculous.

Zaru

Well, we will get first car pics in January, so it will be a short break :)

The wait is unbearable (in sports fan terms) because next year's reg changes are so big that I'm feeling both dread and excitement.
Excitement because the Mercedes borefest could finally be broken, dread because it could end up in another team dominating or even the changes making racing worse.

DrM

Redmond's Baby
The wait is unbearable (in sports fan terms) because next year's reg changes are so big that I'm feeling both dread and excitement.
Excitement because the Mercedes borefest could finally be broken, dread because it could end up in another team dominating or even the changes making racing worse.

Or simply Mercedes can make even more dominant car.

Zaru

I don't see the rules shaking up the grid at the front all that much. It's not like Mercedes doesn't have a fantastic aero package.

The thing is that Red Bull will likely have aero that is at LEAST as good and Renault will likely make serious strides with no tokens + a works team effort (as evidenced by this year's progress)

I don't expect a 2009 style regulation upset though.

ElTorro

I wanted to dominate the living room. Then I took an ESRAM in the knee.
To give other teams a better chance they'd have to deregulate engine development, at least for a few seasons. The introduction of highly complex engines coupled with budget and development restrictions was a mistake. You can't have both without provoking a situation like the one we're in.

Last Malaysia GP in 2018

Malaysia will not extend F1 deal, minister confirms

Malaysia will not extend its current deal to host Formula One races, the country’s minster for tourism has confirmed.

“The current agreement is from 2016 to 2018,” Nazri Abdul Aziz told Today Online, “so once that ends, there will be no more”.

“F1 attendance is dropping and there is less attraction now,” he added. “We are spending RM 300 million [£54.7m] a year.”

Singapore GP will also probably end as well

krang

As far as I can tell, they've shared the model publicly via a piece of browser-based CAD called OnShape. Does anyone with more time to look into this find out if it enables you to export an .OBJ (or similar) of the model?

.OBJ...euw. B-rep or death.

I worked with Nic before I changed jobs this year, and this is his collaborative F1 design project, indeed using OnShape. Really talented engineer.

Zaru

Well, it's sad to see them possibly go since I like both tracks, but the calendar is getting really, really full already.

I just found out that I can't watch the race on Sunday, due to family obligations. Fuuuck.

Unless it's going to be super amazing, I'm not going to watch a recording either, because it's not the same without you guys. I'll probably have to settle with the highlights or even Sunhi's clips (God bless you!)

krang

I just found out that I can't watch the race on Sunday, due to family obligations. Fuuuck.

Unless it's going to be super amazing, I'm not going to watch a recording either, because it's not the same without you guys. I'll probably have to settle with the highlights or even Sunhi's clips (God bless you!)

It'll probably be a procession, so I wouldn't worry.

Fisico

18-year-old George Russell has been linked to the Mercedes F1 team.

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/127205/russell-tipped-for-mercedes-f1-role-and-gp3

After finishing 3rd in the European Formula 3 championship, he is expected to move up to the GP3 series in 2017 with top team ART Grand Prix.

I wonder if they will crush as many young drivers as Red Bull does.
I mean Werhlein is already in a bad shape, Ocon is a prospect for 2018 but might not be needed, and if George Russel confirms the expectations set on him he might very well drive in F1 in 2018 too.

Who else do they have coming after

And meanwhile at Ferrari and Renault...

Moozo

Can't wait to see next year's f-duct/penis nose/double diffuser.

Is it weird that I find the testing/car development in the first couple of races more interesting than most of the season?

That's weird, this season has seen some amazing races.
To some people it doesn't matter, when your favorite driver doesn't win.

I get that sentiment. I don't agree, but I understand.

Remember that unbearable Vettel fanboy, who'd come in the threads and be amazed by the wonderful races we had during his dominance? Where is he now?

It's been a strange mix of really good and fucking godawful this year. Pretty rare that we've had any action for first place too, which has been a real shame.

Zaru

I enjoyed quite a few of the races this season.
The issue is that the most exciting driving happened from 3rd place onwards.
Only AFTER the races do we often see onboard replays of exciting maneuvers that would get us fired up if they happened between the race leaders, but instead they happen anonymously in the mid-field. What do we get instead? Hamilton and Rosberg barely met on track (and ironically usually crashed when they did), and they're the ones who spent most of the season leading races.

Business

Remember that unbearable Vettel fanboy, who'd come in the threads and be amazed by the wonderful races we had during his dominance? Where is he now?

Omiee was his name, still around gaf I see.

Regarding how interesting the season has been, personally the entertainment for me (besides obviously that I enjoy racing in general) comes basically from team mate duels, considering also past match ups, and where you think teams are and how drivers perform relative to that. If you can get past who wins and can appreciate that, there's always something interesting going on.

FrankCanada97

Roughly the size of a baaaaaarge
Has there ever been a more dominant team in the junior categories than Prema Powerteam? I just noticed that they won the team championships of all four series they competed in this year.

GP2 (in their debut year), European F3, Italian F4, German F4

DD

Has there ever been a more dominant team in the junior categories than Prema Powerteam? I just noticed that they won the team championships of all four series they competed in this year.

GP2 (in their debut year), European F3, Italian F4, German F4

I see them joining F1 in the future. I mean, Lance Stroll is already there, so why not his own team? Lawrence love cars and racing, and has a fuckton of money...

ramparter

Banned

Thats not the reason for me. Ferrari didnt deliver and I had high hopes after last year, and while red bull seems to get closer to merc, somehow its never enough.
Also even though Ham and Ros are closer than ever regarding the standings I think this year we had almost no battle between them. It was either one or the other.

Zaru

Also even though Ham and Ros are closer than ever regarding the standings I think this year we had almost no battle between them. It was either one or the other.

I almost feel reminded of the 1997 season. Schumacher and Villeneuve never shared a podium while fighting for the championship even though one of them was always on the podium in all but one race that year.

Top Bottom