• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Formula 1 2017 Pre-Season |OT| The Ferrari is good this year

Status
Not open for further replies.
How the fuck do Honda continue to be so shit?

The first year, OK, teething problems, understandable.
The second year, well, hey, these regulations make it difficult to make quick progress.

But now it's beyond a joke.

It's the first test day, chill. Most teams have growing pains with their cars.

If it continues to day 4 then yeah it's a shitbox but expected (although I'm pissed because I think Mclaren have the best driver pairing)

DrM

Redmond's Baby
Times from testing are quite useless, even more from the first test. Fuel levels are quite unknown and that makes the biggest difference between the teams.

operon

Every year Ferrari show well in testing.

That maybe the case but they have been running long stints on medium tyres, whilst other teams are running on soft tyres. If they were really going for a fast time like some of ye are suggesting they would go on soft tyres and go easy on the fuel load. I know its cool in f1 threads here to piss on ferrari but so far this testing they have been doing ok. We wont know how good they are til Melbourne but they are the only team that is able to get near Mercedes in lap runs

Aiii

So not worth it
They're running on medium whilst other teams are on softs, where are you going with this shit

Where he's going is that Ferrari topped testing last year as well, so that shows you exactly how much it actually means.

operon

Just stating an observation of the last few years of tests.

What's your fucking problem?

Whilst everyone else states their observations on this years test. I have no problem just be nice to have a lot less trolling go on in the F1 threads

I think mostly that it's a stupid statement. Your assumption is that they plan to get to the top of the timing charts rather than it just being a side effect of how they choose to test.

In this particular case it's certainly not borne out by the fact that they've only done laps on mediums. However, I'm more than happy to say I'm wrong when they bolt on the super softs for the last lap of the day. :D

dubc35

If projections are correct, the cars should be able to get at least another 2 or 3 seconds below this.

I know they said they wanted to be about 5 seconds faster; I guess I didn't expect such a quick jump in the first test!

krang

Whilst everyone else states their observations on this years test. I have no problem just be nice to have a lot less trolling go on in the F1 threads

So we're not allowed to compare testing behaviour and times with previous years? Well why don't we just forget everything that ever happened in F1 before today? Might as well if we're going to get called out for mentioning that something like this has happened before...

JFC

John_B

There was a similar pattern in testing last season. Ferrari was doing their stints at a higher pace. It doesn't necessarily indicate a quicker car.

operon

So we're not allowed to compare testing behaviour and times with previous years? Well why don't we just forget everything that ever happened in F1 before today? Might as well if we're going to get called out for mentioning that something like this has happened before...

JFC

I'm just going to leave it, I'm not the only one who called you out but your targetting on me. We'll just agree to disagree

The ideal race series for people who like to watch bots battle each other in shooters...

I don't think the racing will be particularly interesting (at least not initially), but it's a very cool challenge and I certainly can appreciate it from a technical standpoint.

Much like Robo-football, comparing it to the real thing is largely pointless.

KdotIX

Im gonna say it - Ferrari is looking pretty solid in testing so far. ~102 laps for Vettel, within 0.1s of HAM and they've not deviated from the Mediums at all today. Say what you will about Ferrari and their attempts in the last few seasons about being fastest in testing, but I think this is promising.

Ofc, Mercedes are probably sandbagging, but still...

DrM

Redmond's Baby
Ferrari is doing opposite to last year's test - trying it with harder compounds instead of softer. And on the other side, Mercedes is doing totally opposite stuff, because they haven't touched softer compounds until very end of testing

This is the year I pay attention to F1. As a midwestern American, I'm surrounded by NASCAR, but I've never been able to get into it too much. F1 is much more interesting to me, with the winding city tracks and the high tech cars. But I've never really taken a minute to lean more about it. Now that it's a new season, I'm going to try to properly follow it.

DBT85

This is the year I pay attention to F1. As a midwestern American, I'm surrounded by NASCAR, but I've never been able to get into it too much. F1 is much more interesting to me, with the winding city tracks and the high tech cars. But I've never really taken a minute to lean more about it. Now that it's a new season, I'm going to try to properly follow it.

Welcome Duane!

Support McLaren Honda. They are the tops!

krang

I'm just going to leave it, I'm not the only one who called you out but your targetting on me. We'll just agree to disagree

And there's others who agreed with me. It's a discussion. Stop applying faux restrictions on whether I should point out a trend if it's apparent.

I wasn't suggesting this means Ferrari will be shit, so not sure why you were so defensive. I was just saying their testing strategy errs on them showing fast times in testing, whereas Mercedes and Red Bull don't so much.

Cub3h

Banned

I've always watched F1 on and off, but it wasn't until a few years ago when I really got into it due to Verstappen joining. Having a couple of teams or drivers to root for really helps, I didn't really too much about the sport as a neutral spectator.

Pick a few guys you like and your enjoyment of the sport should skyrocket! (... unless you become a fan of McLaren)

NHale

I think today ends with the final answer to this year F1 season. Ferrari did it. They won it like Arsenal win the Premier League every year in November. The only doubt now is if Vettel or Kimi win the WDC.

Nothing more satisfying than being a McLaren Honda fan.

Apparently Vettel, Hamilton and Alonso were running together and Alonso was only ~3 seconds behind after a couple of laps. So good!

Chris R

Hot damn, the Toro Rosso might be my favorite livery this year.

And the cars are quick? To be seen if the speeds hold up when someone is a few car lengths behind another...

DBT85

C5r9bcCWQAAQKgE.jpg

operon

And there's others who agreed with me. It's a discussion. Stop applying faux restrictions on whether I should point out a trend if it's apparent.

I wasn't suggesting this means Ferrari will be shit, so not sure why you were so defensive. I was just saying their testing strategy errs on them showing fast times in testing, whereas Mercedes and Red Bull don't so much.
Yes and I and others have shown that this year they have taken a different approach to testing staying on harder tyres no silly time on softer tyres. We are trying to show you that they're aren't following the trend

John_B

I have a good feeling about the grid. It looks like all the teams came through for the new regulations. A closer pecking order would surely help the excitement.

Ark

How smug do you think Martin Whitmarsh feels?

Forced out of his company by the CEO, who promptly made huge swathes of changes, signing a huge motoring powerhouse to make bespoke engines; signed someone considered as one of the greatest drivers of all time, only to have the entire outfit trail around at the back of the grid hoping to god they don't blow up that lap.

I miss the McLaren days :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom