• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forspoken is cringy

Status
Not open for further replies.

winjer

Gold Member
The gameplay and the world they created seems interesting.
But the writing and voice acting of the main character is dreadful. I can't stand the thought of listening to such crap for hours.

what-the-hell-was-that-smoking.gif

TheSHEEEP

Gold Member
No human being talks to itself every freaking minute
Eh, that's just a "screenplay" tool to communicate the character's thoughts.
Not the best one, clearly, but I think you have to separate that from what is actually being said.

At least Alloy wasn't "what a 55 year old thinks a 12 year old talks like" aka "MCU, but written by Reddit".

Last edited:
Reminds me of when JP devs tried to make "westernized" games during the 7th Gen to cater to the CoD/Gears crowd. There's a big difference however where back then the dudebros actually had cash to burn. The woke crowd this game is pandering to, I don't think they have any money.

nkarafo

Developers should add options where characters simply shut the fuck up.

It's so annoying. I don't want to hear Aloy talk about obvious shit over and over again. I don't want to hear Xenoblade characters garbage after every single battle, and I don't want to hear forspokens character talking to herself nonstop. Shits annoying and cringe.
That's modern games for you.

"We have unlimited storage, what else can we fit? More voice samples!"

"We no longer have to use text, videogame tech allow voices now, so have at it"

"Voice acting is expensive, we are going to shove it in your ears"

"Videogames are story now. Story is like movies, yes? Movies have talk. So, talk"

TheSHEEEP

Gold Member
The difference is, that in this game, tbe isekaied character will have some depth, unlike most anime mcs.

She may banter too much or whatever, but im sure writers made their best effort to depict what is a normal human being reappearing in a fantasy world. Which is cool by me.
Where do you get that "depth" idea from?
From the trailers so far, it seems to be the "depth" of a 14 year old girl (as imagined by an old man).

Someone who talks like that is not a "normal human being".
I've seen human beings. Nobody ever talks like that outside of kid cartoons.

Also, so many of you have a problem calling cringe every character that is not plain badass. Games have a place for normal imperfect characters too. Deal with it.
There should be more normal imperfect characters in games.
And they are great if they are written well and talk convincingly.
See, for example, everyone in Disco Elysium.

But this one is just plain badly written, if the trailers are anything to go by.
It's just pure "how do you do, fellow kids?!". Hence, cringe.
Got nothing to do with being badass or not.

Kaachan

This is the results of Japanese developers trying to make/appeal a Westernized game unless you are Kojima

The world and gameplay itself looks interesting by all means, but I really can't stand the character's voice acting and her sassy movie dialogues. It's like the game was written for an 8-year old

Just awful

Last edited:

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
The Spider isekai is some next level awesomeness.....if any medium sized developers are reading this.....make that shit!

Come on man.
Shes only had two major roles.
And only two of those projects sucked.
Ohhh........

Bad damn can she get it, almost 6 foot tall, thighs for days?
Mate!

Sorry if I have offended. I can't work out if I have been too crude for the internet or not.

I'm not making a real negative comment on her, Im sure shes great. She is very attractive.

Last edited:

Meicyn

Gold Member
That’s what I’m starting to wonder.

Marketing clip aside, the game itself looks like it may be good. Hopefully she’s not like that clip in the actual game.
The dialogue is likely stitched together out of context, Square Enix does that all the time in their trailers.

Also, for the record, this is how Dragon Age Origins was marketed.

I remember the outcry on this very forum over Bioware’s music choice at the time. But folks who love RPGs were already buying, marketing to us wouldn’t make sense.

I don’t know who Forspoken is being marketed to, but the point of marketing is partly to expand your reach to a new audience. Square is obviously after that girl power audience here, and maybe this is what they want? I can’t relate. Hope the game is fun, overly talkative protagonists are annoying though whether it’s Aloy or Peter Parker. Wish they’d take cues from Geralt of Rivia or Henry of Skallitz and shut the fuck up a notch.

nkarafo

but im sure writers made their best effort to depict what is a normal human being reappearing in a fantasy world. Which is cool by me.
You think a "normal human being" would be sassy like that if they woke up in a fantasy world with big dragons trying to kill them?

I doubt 1 out of the 7 billion people on earth would act like this.

I know, videogames aren't suppose to have normal human beings in them. But this one i simply cringe.

Go_Ly_Dow

This is the results of Japanese developers trying to make a Westernized game

The world and gameplay itself looks interesting by all means, but I really can't stand the character's voice acting and her sassy movie dialogues. It's like the game was written for an 8-year old

Just awful
Feels like a Netflix take on a Japanese IP.

Teslerum

This is the results of Japanese developers trying to make a Westernized game

Just awful
That doesn't make sense though.

The writers ARE western writers. You can possible blame SQE for not managing the project well enough and thus misunderstandings and other possible problems popping up that would degrade story and dialogue, but the dialog, story and the voice acting (the things you specifically complain about) was done in the west.

Which I personally think was a mistake to do in concept. but I don't blame the jap devs.

Last edited:

Spaceman292

Banned
The difference is, that in this game, tbe isekaied character will have some depth, unlike most anime mcs.

She may banter too much or whatever, but im sure writers made their best effort to depict what is a normal human being reappearing in a fantasy world. Which is cool by me.

Also, so many of you have a problem calling cringe every character that is not plain badass. Games have a place for normal imperfect characters too. Deal with it.
If a real human being saw a dragon they'd scream and shit themselves. They wouldn't just mumble some lame one liner to themselves.

The characters have been cringy from the start to be honest but the gameplay looks decent. The traversal looks fun. Could be worth a play when it's added to ps plus.

MMaRsu

Banned

I have no problem with imperfect characters, but I do have an issue with annoying characters.

It's just painfully self-aware and self-conscious. Yes, there have been a million regular-person-gets-strange-powers stories, but it's still better if your story treats it like it's something new. These obvious girl power/diversity characters are also frequently very badly written. They tend to not follow basic rules about good characterization.

At least it's a new character for a change and not a race or gender-swapped one, so it definitely gets a point there. Might buy on sale one day if the gameplay is fun.

Filben

yup, you're probably wondering how I got here"

"So let me get this straight"
I hate it when people talk like that.

First I hate when people assume what I've been wondering about or not. I also despise when books, texts of any kind or game assume I'm stupid. Second, no need to "introduce" that your point is about to come across, just tell me already. It's the same with people who start off with "can we talk about something something?" no? what should I tell you? just do it damnit.

It's not cringe though, just annoying. When did everything become cringe the last fucking years?

Last edited:
What is it with these unlikeable female characters? I first noticed it when I played Spider-Man Miles Morales which overall I enjoyed. The ‘Taskmaster‘ was just the worst though - barely any redeemable qualities and treated Miles like trash throughout. Even in flashback scenes. I then noticed the same thing when I watched the Invincible series. His girlfriend who I initially liked then started this same nonsense. We later found out she was aware of his superhero identity the entire time and was just being a bitch for no reason??? He saved his best friend and nearly died and she still found a way to turn it into something about her. Recently with the RE series I noticed the same thing as the main characters were completely full of themselves and treated everyone else like crap. Now I’m getting the same vibes from Forspoken with this poorly written and poorly voice acted protagonist. It genuinely feels like a waste of the setting, cool looking combat and traversal system to squander on such a full of themselves, unlikeable cringey character.

Last edited:

FunkMiller

What is it with these unlikeable female characters?

They're trying to sell their games to a wider demographic.

At some point, someone decided that male gamers were a given, in-built audience, and games like this don't need to directly appeal to them anymore. They're going to buy the game anyway.

But there's a big audience of female gamers out there, whose money they are desperate to also get hold of. So we get characters like this, who are supposed to appeal to female gamers.

I can't help but think most women would look at this patronising, cringeworthy shit and come to the same conclusion as us blokes:

Don't buy this garbage.

nkarafo

What is it with these unlikeable female characters? I first noticed it when I played Spider-Man Miles Morales which overall I enjoyed. The ‘Taskmaster‘ was just the worst though - barely any redeemable qualities and treated Miles like trash throughout. Even in flashback scenes. I then noticed the same thing when I watched the Invincible series. His girlfriend who I initially liked then started this same nonsense. We later found out she was aware of his superhero identity the entire time and was just being a bitch for no reason??? He saved his best friend and nearly died and she still found a way to turn it into something about her. Recently with the RE series I noticed the same thing as the main characters were completely full of themselves and treated everyone else like crap. Now I’m getting the same vibes from Forspoken with this poorly written and poorly voice acted protagonist. It genuinely feels like a waste of the setting, cool looking combat and traversal system to squander on such a full of themselves, unlikeable cringey character.
Female activist writers tend to write themselves into their characters.

And yes, they are always full of themselves like that.

They're trying to sell their games to a wider demographic.

At some point, someone decided that male gamers were a given, in-built audience, and games like this don't need to directly appeal to them anymore. They're going to buy the game anyway.

But there's a big audience of female gamers out there, whose money they are desperate to also get hold of. So we get characters like this, who are supposed to appeal to female gamers.

I can't help but think most women would look at this patronising, cringeworthy shit and come to the same conclusion as us blokes:

Don't buy this garbage.
That's the mindset of all TV and all movies for the last 10 years.

Now all men do is play games. Thank god that gaming is a lot more international and we get stuff from around the world.

Dr.Morris79

SHE WILL RISE!

..Unlike the sales 👀

Gotta love women writers. Booo, down with the patriarchy! Up with these wonderfully written stories we all love across most media nowdays. Truly loving it👍

:messenger_tears_of_joy:

Keep going, ladies, you're killing it. literally.

..A sexist would say.

FunkMiller

That's the mindset of all TV and all movies for the last 10 years.

Now all men do is play games. Thank god that gaming is a lot more international and we get stuff from around the world.

You do tend to get the impression that large swathes of the entertainment industry think dudes will just keep consuming everything that's put in front of them.

The sad thing is they might be right, in a lot of cases.

I would suggest things would be very different, if we all stopped buying this stuff.... instead of purchasing it - and then complaining about it. Why would they stop?

Last edited:

supernova8

Banned
I do wonder if the game has Japanese voice acting.....im sure the lipsync is for English, but curiosity always gets the better of me.
Yeah this may be another Xenoblade 2 situation where the English voice-acting is absolutely diabolic and the Japanese voice-acting is totally fine/normal. The problem is, if any of those bullshit Japanese TV shows where they dub over some real life mystery story in Japanese (like having borderline pensioner women Japanese VAs add fucking わ~~~~ to everything for barely late 20s/barely 30s English-speaking women) are anything to go by, the Japanese dub could also end up being cringey as fuck.

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
Sorry if I have offended. I can't work out if I have been too crude for the internet or not.

I'm not making a real negative comment on her, Im sure shes great. She is very attractive.
No offence.
I just came to the realization mid post that indeed all her projects end up being pretty bad.
I was so sure she was in something successful atleast commercially but even the Charlies Angels reboot actually bombed.
We dont speak about Resident Evil, so im really rooting for this game to atleast be good to play.
If the voice acting is really bad ill just play it in japanese or something.

You do tend to get the impression that large swathes of the entertainment industry think dudes will just keep consuming everything that's put in front of them.

The sad thing is they might be right, in a lot of cases.

I would suggest things would be very different, if we all stopped buying this stuff.... instead of purchasing it - and then complaining about it. Why would they stop?
It's basically MCU Thor. You take a grizzled viking god and turn him into a male model that shows his nude ass on screen. Put in tons of comedy and light hearted scenes. But hope that the guys stick around in the misguided belief that any of this is for them. It works sometimes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom