• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forspoken |OT| Shut the cuff up

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
This goes for 10 Eurodollars at GameStop only for today - yay or nay lads ?

Is it actually enjoyable after all the patching or shall I just get a burger for the 10 € ?

Watched a couple of reviews, saw the metacritic and I still can't understand what kind.of. game this is ...
PS5 version btw

Cheerio
You are asking if this game is worth 10$?
really?
JIgQm2b.jpeg

(yes, it was very well patched, 40fps120hz is stable and higher res than on release. its a great fun game)

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
I launched the game before sleep today and man… it’s beautiful. Meadows vistas with clouds shadows rolling over. Beautiful music, the cat running around with you and the cats in cabin.
You feel and see the desolation but the music just puts this calming veil over it. Just as the mist volumes.
I switched to Japanese voice over just for lulz and it’s very different. Sounds cool tbh.
And again, quality 40fps, better ao and less break up. I have to play the dlc finally.

Roaming around, listening to music theme in the safe room. It’s the least toxic game ever. You can really feel they put their soul into the game. Maybe they were cut short but something is there. And the combat is still very unique. Although I suggest taking it slow and taking in the moment. Also, the enemies designs are great in photo mode. Like playing an art book.
It’s got some of that Japanese studios cringe and that’s what people hated while also loving in other games.
The game got no cult following, nothing. It’s dead and that’s especially sad seeing how beautiful and charming it is. Is of course nothing ground breaking or 10/10 in grand scheme of things but it’s a very charming game that I think.
I like free roaming in Hogwarts too. Maybe I just like this stuff.

I might post some screenshots later tomorrow. Cheers
Edit: it’s like a comfort food game. Can’t believe we fought so much over game this inoffensive

Last edited:

RoboEight

Honestly some of the writing aside the game is really good imo. The story is pretty decent with some really good side, the combat/traversal is great with plenty of variety, the world looks incredible and the soundtrack is incredible. Some of the main characters writing is cheesy at times sure but overall it's not that bad and I would say the negativity of this game got way way blown out of proportion from a few selective clips which is a shame cause a lot of people didn't play the game because of it. That's just my opinion it's a no brainer at $10 for me.

Last edited:

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Promised some shots so they are in screenshot thread + Here is some comparison of HDR->SDR converted shots from ps5 vs how it looks in game on lg c1 oled with DTM befoer conversion.
The game looks great with HDR. Not sure why but some games REALLY suffer when ps5 converts screenshots from hdr to sdr. Probably this game just looks better in HDR

I9WjUuA.jpg

x2yHccq.jpg

c3Gr4Ip.jpg

FKsbU0x.jpg

Last edited:

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
Empty sI launched the game before sleep today and man… it’s beautiful. Meadows vistas with clouds shadows rolling over. Beautiful music, the cat running around with you and the cats in cabin.
You feel and see the desolation but the music just puts this calming veil over it. Just as the mist volumes.
I switched to Japanese voice over just for lulz and it’s very different. Sounds cool tbh.
And again, quality 40fps, better ao and less break up. I have to play the dlc finally.

Roaming around, listening to music theme in the safe room. It’s the least toxic game ever. You can really feel they put their soul into the game. Maybe they were cut short but something is there. And the combat is still very unique. Although I suggest taking it slow and taking in the moment. Also, the enemies designs are great in photo mode. Like playing an art book.
It’s got some of that Japanese studios cringe and that’s what people hated while also loving in other games.
The game got no cult following, nothing. It’s dead and that’s especially sad seeing how beautiful and charming it is. Is of course nothing ground breaking or 10/10 in grand scheme of things but it’s a very charming game that I think.
I like free roaming in Hogwarts too. Maybe I just like this stuff.

I might post some screenshots later tomorrow. Cheers
Edit: it’s like a comfort food game. Can’t believe we fought so much over game this inoffensive

Found Footage Sport GIF by Eternal Family

Sushi_Combo

Finished this one a few weeks ago, I enjoyed the combat. Story was pretty good. I hated Cuff though, every single time he had dialogue had to skip or just try to ignore.

-Zelda-

Banned
I have never thought it before, but the biggest complaint I see about this is just how hateable the main character is so now I am curious, what are some, if any, RPG video games with a Black protagonist that is NOT an insufferable idiot? Remember, I want to know about said game that is in the RPG genre, not any other.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
I have never thought it before, but the biggest complaint I see about this is just how hateable the main character is so now I am curious, what are some, if any, RPG video games with a Black protagonist that is NOT an insufferable idiot? Remember, I want to know about said game that is in the RPG genre, not any other.
That's a good point.
They certainly didn't gave Frey any bonus points for being black and being a women lol... but also she might just be a mistake of japanese clunky writing.
Switch it to Japanese and she is completely different :p

Sleepwalker

KillaJamm

I got it for black friday for £10, lasted about 3 hours before I uninstalled, how could someone make the main protagonist THAT annoying is beyond me, I just couldn't get past it. I'll give it another shot in Japanese maybe?

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
I got it for black friday for £10, lasted about 3 hours before I uninstalled, how could someone make the main protagonist THAT annoying is beyond me, I just couldn't get past it. I'll give it another shot in Japanese maybe?
She isnt that annoying. Unclench a little bit maybe?
She has a character arc. The whole point is that she turns from an asshole to somewhat of a hero.

KillaJamm

She isnt that annoying. Unclench a little bit maybe?
She has a character arc. The whole point is that she turns from an asshole to somewhat of a hero.
So that makes over half the game annoying af then, yay...

Last edited:

Spyxos

After not liking it at all at the beginning, I thought I'd take another look. And I'm kind of having fun with it. The combat system has clicked and it's just fun to fly through the map. The story and the environments aren't exactly great, but it's better than I thought.

KillaJamm

What point would a story have without character development?
Mate I understand character development and story arcs. I just can't bare her character. The dialogue is terrible and makes me cringe, her little quips every 5 seconds when you scan the area like 'are we there yet?' and just any comment on what's going on around you sounds like it's coming from someone under the age of 10, bloody hell even the responses from cuff just seem to make it even worse some how? I get it you like forspoken and who's to tell you to other wise what to think of it, but in my opinion if you are going to create a protagonist that has some 'issues' or is an 'asshole' as you say, try and at least make the beginning of the arc not an absolute cringe fest with dodgy dialogue, timing and pacing. Then maybe I'll actually stick around for the second act, that's all I'm saying.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Mate I understand character development and story arcs. I just can't bare her character. The dialogue is terrible and makes me cringe, her little quips every 5 seconds when you scan the area like 'are we there yet?' and just any comment on what's going on around you sounds like it's coming from someone under the age of 10, bloody hell even the responses from cuff just seem to make it even worse some how? I get it you like forspoken and who's to tell you to other wise what to think of it, but in my opinion if you are going to create a protagonist that has some 'issues' or is an 'asshole' as you say, try and at least make the beginning of the arc not an absolute cringe fest with dodgy dialogue, timing and pacing. Then maybe I'll actually stick around for the second act, that's all I'm saying.
You can turn the banter off if you really want to.
She is a character. Not a blank slate like in many other games. Not a populist. They made her character to have some character and she has some background to ground/cover it.
I like when game character is not "me". It's a someone with some existing traits. Not always good like you say. I can certainly see why people hate Frey but it's still a bit harsh.
I really don't see what's so cringe about the dialogue... like maybe few lines in the beginning but's like few other games with side character rambling on and off.
And the voice acting is pretty good.
Like, atmoic heart came out shortly after Forspoken. A game that also got talking protagonist and talking hand... AND BOTH OF THEM are terribly voice acted, never shut up (like really never), there is 0 character development and they just spew unfunny nonsense all the time... There were few complaints about them but not as much as forspoken got for few cringe lines.

You don't have to like her of course. nobody likes everybody.

KillaJamm

You can turn the banter off if you really want to.
She is a character. Not a blank slate like in many other games. Not a populist. They made her character to have some character and she has some background to ground/cover it.
I like when game character is not "me". It's a someone with some existing traits. Not always good like you say. I can certainly see why people hate Frey but it's still a bit harsh.
I really don't see what's so cringe about the dialogue... like maybe few lines in the beginning but's like few other games with side character rambling on and off.
And the voice acting is pretty good.
Like, atmoic heart came out shortly after Forspoken. A game that also got talking protagonist and talking hand... AND BOTH OF THEM are terribly voice acted, never shut up (like really never), there is 0 character development and they just spew unfunny nonsense all the time... There were few complaints about them but not as much as forspoken got for few cringe lines.

You don't have to like her of course. nobody likes everybody.
Well there's something we agree on with Atomic Heart, if I had to hear 'CRISPY CRITTERS' one more time I would of teared my ears off. Again terrible writing and for the most part unlikeable characters. And it's not about a character not being like 'you', if written well you can find some endearment in a character that starts off as a bit of a downer or if they seem like as you said previously an 'asshole', they simply fucked up and created in my opinion one of my least favourite playable protagonists ever, it's a shame because the combat and traversal seemed kinda dope. Like I said maybe I'll switch to Japanese when I finally get round to giving it another go whenever that is, I purchased Balders Gate 3 earlier so I'm sure I'm going to be occupied for a little while 😂

I just can't bare her character. The dialogue is terrible and makes me cringe
The dialogue is fine, but if you're so triggered by it, you can just turn of their banter.
It's ok if you don't like her at the start, that was very much going to happen seeing how she's a bit of a fuckup, heck the game starts with her showing up in court and sassing a judge. Then she's running away from thugs, and then the home she was squatting in gets destroyed, together with her means to escape her shit life granted that scene could've been handled much better cause she's got two arms and picking up the bag was on the way out....
Since she had to be on her own and fend for herself for so long, it ties into her behaviour when she's transported to the new world, she doesn't care about any of their struggles, since she's grown to be selfish; it's not her fight so she just wants to fuck off back home as fast as possible and why she's also impatient.
Once the ball starts rolling however she starts to change and starts caring about the people since they can't fight/survive like she can. Even the banter with cuff gets better since they grow closer to each other as the story unfolds.

The only real problem I had with the game is how insanely slow the start is, a lot of the earlier parts should've been condensed so the tanta sila fight happens much sooner since that's when the game starts kicking into high gear; from there it's just smooth sailing with great action, great traversal, great soundtrack and collectable cats.

KillaJamm

The dialogue is fine, but if you're so triggered by it, you can just turn of their banter.
It's ok if you don't like her at the start, that was very much going to happen seeing how she's a bit of a fuckup, heck the game starts with her showing up in court and sassing a judge. Then she's running away from thugs, and then the home she was squatting in gets destroyed, together with her means to escape her shit life granted that scene could've been handled much better cause she's got two arms and picking up the bag was on the way out....
Since she had to be on her own and fend for herself for so long, it ties into her behaviour when she's transported to the new world, she doesn't care about any of their struggles, since she's grown to be selfish; it's not her fight so she just wants to fuck off back home as fast as possible and why she's also impatient.
Once the ball starts rolling however she starts to change and starts caring about the people since they can't fight/survive like she can. Even the banter with cuff gets better since they grow closer to each other as the story unfolds.

The only real problem I had with the game is how insanely slow the start is, a lot of the earlier parts should've been condensed so the tanta sila fight happens much sooner since that's when the game starts kicking into high gear; from there it's just smooth sailing with great action, great traversal, great soundtrack and collectable cats.
I'm not triggered by it, it's was just annoying af after a while I felt like I forcing myself to play it, thought fuck this shit let's try something else I got over black friday. I will go back to it at some point, and yeah I'll turn the 'banter' off I think. Also she was dumb af for not grabbing the money as she left that room at the beginning, like if she did then roll credits? Like I said just stupid writing.

Kamina

Golden Boy
If i can get this at below 20€ here i will bot hesitate.
The game was certainly not a marvel but i am sure that it will be entertaining enough.

Last edited:

Chuck Berry

Gold Member

The only real problem I had with the game is how insanely slow the start is, a lot of the earlier parts should've been condensed so the tanta sila fight happens much sooner since that's when the game starts kicking into high gear; from there it's just smooth sailing with great action, great traversal, great soundtrack and collectable cats

Best part of the game 🥰

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
Dialogue is fine. It just offends certain people. It's like a cheesy movie at times. The biggest hurdle to get over is remapping controls that make sense. Default mapping makes the game clunky.

Parkour and movement is fantastic.

Top Bottom